“Dream Vacation in Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

You added Mauna Kea Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   62-100 Mauna Kea Beach Drive, Puako, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743   |
Special Offer
Fourth Night FREE!
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Puako
GreenLeadersGold level
San Rafael, California
“Dream Vacation in Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Mauna Kea for four nights in late June, early July of this year. We were celebrating our second honeymoon, and it was our first time on the big island. You arrive at the hotel via a long driveway that winds through part of the golf course. We knew we were in paradise as we cruised toward the hotel with breathtaking blue ocean views coming into view.
At check in we were presented with flower leis and glasses of cool passion fruit juice. Our ocean view room was one floor up from the lobby, and I'll try to be succinct in my descriptions of the hotel from here on in.
Understated elegance sums it up. Tasteful furnishings, '60s modern with asian influences. You feel completely at home with none of the typical Hawaiian tourist trappings. We felt that it was a calm and healing place to be. There are asian antiques spread throughout the hotel (Thank Laurence Rockefeller for the concept). He wanted the hotel to be part of the environment, and indeed the breeze ways throughout the hotel create a feeling of oneness with the outdoors. Lots of greenery and birds that stop in for a visit. There are also two parrots that go outside every day. Their tree was just outside our balcony.
The beach is rated the best on the big island. Just perfect -clean and cool turquoise water and light brown sand.
We enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning of our stay. The first day I had an omelette made to order for me, and supplemented it with fresh papaya, pineapple, and probably 5 other things I tried. The second morning I tried the eggs Benedict, third day was soft boiled eggs, and the last morning I tried the scrambled eggs. Each day we loved the fresh fruit, juices and the pot of coffee. I learned to take it easy and not eat so much as the days went by. Being a serious lover of food, particularly breakfast I felt like I needed to sample most everything!
At the beach you pick up towels and find a chair or chaise lounge under an umbrella and you're set. There's a round swimming pool and hot tub as well. Other things we enjoyed: great fitness room -we enjoyed the elliptical trainers one morning (trying to burn some of those breakfast calories). Water bottles, fresh fruit and towels are provided. We played a few games of ping pong on an outdoor patio that also had a pool table. What we mostly liked to do was just relax, take it easy, go swimming, or hang out in our room listening to the sounds of the waves crashing (and yes, we watched a couple of World Cup soccer games)...
We did leave intermittently to explore nearby towns, went on an eco tour to the Mauna Kea summit, and we went sea kayaking and snorkeling one day in Puako Bay. You can find out about those adventures in my other reviews. All in all it was an awesome second honeymoon, one my wife and I will always remember. Thank you Mauna Kea Beach Hotel for sharing your beautiful aloha spirit with us for four memorable nights.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
We are delighted you enjoyed your visit with us and were able to relax....the #1 priority of the majority of our guests! Congratulations on your 2nd honeymoon and we hope to see you for many, many more celebrations in the years to come. Aloha and Mahalo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

After visiting this hotel for over 25 years (for meals, visiting friends staying there, staying many times nextdoor at the Hapuna Prince), we finally spent a couple nights here to celebrate our anniversary. It's a classic hotel that lives up to its reputation in nearly every respect. We had a room in the southern wing such that we could walk directly out onto the grass from our beach-facing patio (very convenient). I assume that our room was in the renovated style that was introduced several years ago - it's a clean, light, sleek look that probably is in keeping with the mid-century modern architecture (albeit perhaps more Miami Beach than Hawaiian).

While the beauty of hotel's setting (stunning view and powdery beach) is perfect for a romantic getaway, the hotel is still a big draw for multi-generational families, especially at holiday and summer vacation times. This strikes me as endearing (what a great set of memories to build!). So, expect some mess and noise from kids running around during beach hours - things definitely quiet down at night.

The service at the hotel and restaurants is excellent for the most part. Many of the staff have been there for decades, and a high level of professionalism is expected. I noticed in at least one post some complaining about the fact that there is no service offered at the beach lounge chairs. True - if you can't haul your tush to the beach bar and instead expect chilled towels and strawberries brought to you on trays, this is not the hotel for you (in fact, the Big Island may not be for you). If you ask nicely, however, the staff will help you set up your lounge equipment on the grass.

The food options at the hotel are pretty good - not incredible. We have always had a weakness for the ovaltine froths at the Hau Tree. If we were staying more than a couple days, we definitely would have been drawn to going off-site for food (many great options within a 20 minute drive). One mystery is why the Copper Terrace Bar is no longer operating. We have enjoyed this setting for drinks, appetizers, and music many times over the years (it seems to have gone downhill once they replaced the lovely tropical furniture with hideous circular sofas and fire pits - what's with that?). Anyway, I hope they bring it back.

My complaints are relatively minor, but perhaps worth mentioning because management seems to read some of these posts. First, we had one service glitch - no turn down service on the first night even though we checked in by 2. Second, a couple things in our room showed wear and tear (probably because these are rooms often used by families) - our screen doors were rickety and the toilet stall door was impossible to close because of distorted hinges. Third, it seemed odd that there were little pipes dripping water from the overhangs, which necessitated caution cones on some walkways. Fourth, the plastic potted plants in the gravel strips in the room hallways looked sad. I realize that it is difficult to keep all aspects of a property in perfect and beautiful shape (and that management may have difficulty getting resources from the resort owners) - still, it's not like guests don't notice.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel as a top choice for the Big Island.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Congratulations on your anniversary! We thank you for being a loyal Prince Hawaii guest and for celebrating your special occasion at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. We appreciate all of your comments so that we might continually improve guest experiences. Aloha and mahalo.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I have been to no place on earth as perfect as this hotel. And it's really "beach" that sets this place apart. Every morning when I would see the beach, I would start to cry - it's that perfect. My husband was concerned that I was having a bad time! Then he just got used to me being overwhelmed by the wonder of this place.

Make sure to have a Fredrico at the Hau Tree bar and really read up on the history, especially in a book called, Mr. Mauna Kea. Once you know the background, you will feel like this hotel is an old friend, that you are an honored guest, and that you'll need to come back year after year, just to be a part of the wondrous story of this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms perfect. We looked at the golf course. Our room was so great that when we found a condo...
Green Features: This hotel has pioneered environmentally-friendly. Check out its history on the web. It won awards back in the 60's for creating a hotel so sympathetic to its surroundings!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We try not to rest on our laurels....but we do really appreciate that you love Mauna Kea so much. We are proud of our timeless legacy and sincerely hope you'll be returning soon. Mahalo.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We have been coming to Hawaii for 30 years. We have been coming to the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel for about 9 of those years. It is our favorite place to come, and we would not go anywhere else. It is very nice in a very understated, Zen sort of way. It has arguably the best beach on the Big Island, and it always feels very uncrowded. Though we have traveled all over the planet and stayed in some really high end places, this is the only place that we keep returning to year after year. By modern standards the rooms are a big small for a luxury resort, as are the bathrooms, but everything is very nicely appointed in a low key way. We are not into glitz and glamor, we are into relaxation, and this place provides that to us. The breakfast buffet is very good (though not great), and lunch is always really good down near the beach. I think they serve the best Mai Tai's on the planet. My only complaint is with the dinner options. The Menu at the Manta Pavilion was great 10 years ago, but now it seems very very tired. If they could upgrade the food there to a destination restaurant, this resort would be perfect. As it is for this vacation, we are only eating at Manta once, and driving to Waimea the other 5 nights to eat at Merriman's, which is over the top fabulous in every way when it comes to food. If only Manta were so good. The night we ate at Manta this trip, my wife got a "Goat Cheese Marshmallow" appetizer. Imagine a sweet marshmallow that tasted like goat cheese, on a plate with mangos and beets. While from the description she was expecting a fluffy goat cheese something, she was not expecting a genuine goat cheesed flavored marshmallow. The "Batik Curry" was also very uninspiring. It is just like the menu is 10-15 years old and uninspired with less than farmer to table ingredients. Having said all of that, the highlights of the meal were the Mai Tai, and the not to be missed Lilikoi Soufflé's. Really--I think they have the best Lillikoi soufflé's on the planet bar none, and i have had a lot of soufflés in my life and make myself very well. Other than the dinner options at this hotel, I would say this place is worth the journey. If only the food were as good as Merriman's in Waimea, or perhaps on par with most Ritz Carleton Hotels, or even better, the Saffire Freycinet Hotel in Tasmania which is over the top wonderful--as good or better than any hotel I have ever dined at.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We are happy we are your favorite resort in Hawaii! We anticipate that dining here will also soon be tops on your list! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments.
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Unlike most Big Island resorts, the Mauna Kea Hotel delivers on it's 5 STAR promises. Contemporary luxury, awe inspiring views, excellent service, fine dining (really good room service!) and fun wine selections are to be found in abundance at this very special hotel. The incredibly lovely white sand beach and tranquil waters are never really crowded as public access is limited. Your own private paradise! The rooms are thoughtfully furnished with guests' comfort in mind. I love that the very private and large lanai is furnished with 2 huge COMFORTABLE club chairs with ottomans--perfect for a truly relaxing sunset cocktail or morning coffee or .... Rest assured that, should you chose the Mauna Kea, you will NOT be disappointed!
Tips: The best views are from the main building (above the lobby area). These are the most quiet and private rooms as families tend to chose the "Beach Wing"--which is actually farther from the beach!
Join the "Prince" club before you reserve to receive free parking, possible complimentary upgrades, newspapers, etc.
Consider an upgrade to a room with a Japanese style bath suite. After the earthquake of the late 1990's the hotel was completely renovated and selected 3 guest rooms became 2 guest rooms--adding a huge bath suite with it's own separate lanai (the chaise lounge is welcome after some time in the DEEP, HOT soaking tub.).
Skip the evening buffets and enjoy the relative privacy of the uncrowded restaurant and wine bar.
And yes, this gets very pricey for a a week or longer stay. We prefer to spend the first week of our holidays at a moderately priced vacation rental (there are over 1000 choices along the west coast--we like VRBO 306191) and finish with an extravagant (but, worth it!) few days at this wonderful resort.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your amazing remarks. We truly appreciate hearing from you and appreciate your acknowledgement of everything we try to do to ensure superlative experiences and timeless memories for our guests. Aloha and mahalo.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

....That's how many years we have been visiting the Prince Resorts Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. It's understated elegance at its finest. The ocean views are breath taking. The crescent shaped beach is truly a sight to behold. The outdoor breakfast dining terrace has a stellar view of this scene. Our last family trip was 2 weeks ago. The Aloha spirit is every where: from the bell boys, to the front desk, concierge, dining room hostesses, wait staff, reservations, housekeeping, etc. The highlight of our stay is always the Saturday all you can eat Clam Bake. The "Star" of the feast is the Maine Lobster. There are numerous other seafood and fish delights also. We've had many beautiful and lasting memories. Our daughter got married there and now she, husband & children are return guests also!

Aloha,

Carol W

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
MaunaKeaResort, Manager at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Aloha and mahalo for sharing your thoughts and wonderful comments. And mahalo for being such a loyal guest of Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to your return!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I first came to the legendary Mauna Kea in the late 80's and fell in love, couldn't wait to get back and I did and did…Earthquake hit and the hotel closed for years- redone a few years back and I returned this week after maybe 10 years…in love again. An exquisite beach right out your door and a natural setting that redefines beauty, rooms are more modern than I remember and now they have TV - its all beyond great at The Mauna Kea - Aloha

Room Tip: I like staying on the rooms that are located on the beach level that way you don't have to desce...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We love your headline! And of course, we agree. Thank you so much for returning once again to Mauna Kea and the shores of Kauna'oa Bay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Been to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!