I tend to agree with most of the comments here about the hotel. Depending on what you were expecting, the hotel is very nice, not very good, too expensive, or a bargain.
My expectations were a little bit lower than others might have had. Comparing it to the other resorts, it did seem a little cheaper (relatively), so I was expecting that meant the hotel would not be as nice. I was pleasantly surprised. Here are a few other things that surprised me about the hotel and the area, in no particular order.
1) The infinity pool was very nice. Better than the pictures show.
2) A Bay had decent snorkeling. There is a layer of thick rocks just inside the water line, making it a little difficult to get out into the bay from the beach. However, once you are past that line of rocks, you are not far from coral and fish.
3) It was windy! One of the staff told me that they sometimes refer to Waikoloa as "WaikoBlowa."
4) The resort is very close to to King's Court and the Queen's Marketplace. This means you are not really tied to the hotel restaurant (which seemed very expensive). There really aren't that many other restaurant options in the immediate area.
5) It is a good 30 minute drive to Kona. For various reasons, we wound up in Kona each day.
6) We had a King Bed with a fold out couch. It worked, but with the couch folded out, there was not very much room to work.
7) The hotel is arranged in a way to give the Ocean View rooms a decent view, making an upgrade to an oceanfront room less dramatic.
8) The kids didn't like the pool slide that much. They only did it once.
9) No wifi in the rooms. There is apparently wifi in the lobby, but I never got it to work very well.
10) The lanai was nice but a little small.
Overall, I was happy with the choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Guests seeking relaxation and rejuvenation will find it all at the luxurious Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, located on a sandy, swimmable beach along the sunny Kohala Coast of Hawaii’s Big Island. This beachfront resort offers contemporary elegant guestrooms featuring private lanais, oceanview dining, heated infinity pool, two children’s pools, waterslide, ocean activities, Mandara Spa, world class golf and is within walking distance of shopping and dining at the Kings' Shops & Queens’ MarketPlace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort And Spa
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Hotel Waikoloa
- Marriott Waikoloa