“Lovely Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel

You added Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel to your Saves list
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   62-100 Kauna'oa Drive, Puako, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743   |
Special Offer
Fourth Night FREE!
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Puako
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Irvine, CA
“Lovely Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

The beachfront location of the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel is outstanding! This was our first trip to the Big Island and after several days of visiting the other side and taking in the volcano's and lovely coastline, what a wonderful 3 days we had at this hotel. Yes-it is a bit outdated, but the beautiful beachfront location (all rooms face the ocean) made up for any little discrepancies someone might find. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was quiet and there were plenty of lounges around the pool and umbrellas to be found on the beach. The food in the Coast Grille was fabulous and the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi was to die for!! The room was great-we received an upgrade to an a better ocean view room upon check-in. The bathroom was huge with a great tub and separate shower-double sinks and complimentary island bath products. For those wishing to spend plenty more-a stay at the Mauna Kea -sister resort might be worth checking out but we much preferred the Hapuna Beach!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

My husband and I spent 8 wonderful honeymoon day's at Hapuna Hotel. Loved the hotel layed back atmosphere. If you are looking for night life and action it is not the place to stay. Our room was on the 7th floor in Bld# 4. Great view of the Ocean and gardes below. One reason I am writting the review is that there are several cat's on the hotel ground's. Good news is that many of these cat's have been fixed by a volunteer organization. Unfortunately, there are no roadents in HI and no one at the hotel is feeding them on a regular basis. It broke my heart to see them hungry and begging for food. They ate everything I gave them- even french fries. If you are a cat lover like I am please pick up some cat food and bring any meal leftove's to share with them. We saw cat's at many other locations so I sugest you do this regardels of where you stay. Your furry freinds will love you. Aloha and Mahalo!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

We were thrilled with the place. I was worried after reading reviews of expensive restaurants and old rooms. We stayed on the 9th floor and the view was to die for. There was a constant breeze and you could even sleep with your screen door open. They even have a privacy screen door on front door. The food at hotel never failed. We went to the Mauna Kea one night (sister hotel) and do not eat at Monettes now that was a rip off for bad food. The Ocean Terrace had a Crab Feast on Friday night which is something you should not miss! Coast Grille had amazing selections like local Beef filet and trio of fishes with amazing sauces. Don't rent a car the whole time because there is not much to go seebut shopping at Queens and Kings shops and Kona. One day in Kona is quite enough. Its a bit dirty and very worn down, but not cute worn down. More like some parts of Mexico. There are many street people and weird bars and shops. If you like buying junk then go for it. Just not our cup of tea. Back to the Hotel... Pool was fabulous and food by pool was amazing for a pool bar. The beach was long and fabulous. Snorkling was right at base of hotel. We saw several fish and turtles. You must do this if you go! The front desk was helpful and sweet. My husband was impressed by the workout room and enjoyed the hotel too. This is a place to relax and get away from it all!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
LosAngeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I wanted to stay at the Mauna Kea, but when I looked into it's neighbor and sister hotel, I decided to spend the money I saved, on food and drink. Even though the hotel looks like a little worn Marriott, I did not want for anything.
We upgraded to the 9th floor, ocean view, as I hate hearing elephant foot prints above me. It might not have been a problem anyway, because the hotel is very well built an insulated. Nice rooms, comfy beds, large marble tiled bathrooms, with double sink and private toilet. Coffee maker, with coffee, regrigerator that is empty so that you can put your own food in. Private lanais, with good furniture. Good central airconditioning, or use the screens at the front and lanai. Beautiful beach (I think better then Mauna Kea). I was concerned that a large public beach is down at the other side, but we were far enough away that the crowds from the public beach did not come down to the hotel area. We had towels lounge chairs and umbrellas (when weather permitted) for our use only. If you want drinks, you have to bring them down yourself from the pool bar (you are not suppose to have alcohol on the beach though). Wonderfu snorkling area a few feet away (we saw a turtle). Wonderful pool, and small jacuzzi. I am not normally a pool person when I am near an ocean, but I swam in this one each day after being at the beach. It was very soothing(much nicer pool then the Mauna Kea). I watched the sunset every night from our private lanai while sipping a glass of wine.
Restaurants were all very good, and service was wonderful. The food was better then the Mauna Kea! The Mauna Kea has more staff, but the waiters at Hapuna Beach are so good, that it did not matter(all of the restaurants are expensive, it is nice they have an affordable good snack shop).
No attitude at Hapuna llke there is at the Mauna Kea! I did not feel like I had to care about what I looked like all of the time. Much more casual crowd at Hapuna.
Please do not bring your screeming babies to dinner! We would all be eating and relaxing and then there would be ONE couple with a baby screaming that would echo throughout the hotel for miles! Why bring a baby to Hawaii????? Self indulgent parents....
We will be back to Hapuna year after year, but they do need to get new umbrellas at the restaurant and a few other things need a face lift (but then the prices may go up!)
Oh, I almost forgot, there is no nightlife! Between 9-10pm, everything closes..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

I have been to this hotel twice, once in 2003 and once in 2009. I liked it a lot both times. I have to agree with other reviewers that this hotel can be quiet and sparsely populated at times - such as off-season (late October), when we stayed there for a pretty good price. This means if you are solo and looking to party, this is probably the wrong place, but if you want to find some peace away from it all in an airy, open architecture grand hotel, or spend some private time with your spouse on a honeymoon, then it can be almost perfect. There isn't too much to do other than unwind and enjoy the setting, so we took occasional trips around the island during daytime in our rental car.

Thanks to the open architecture (except for the actual rooms, everything else is partially open to the air), you can nearly always smell the flowering trees, feel the warm breeze, and hear the ocean sounds, and you can take a short walk along the beach to the Mauna Kea resort and see the most amazing single family luxury residences along the way, which are also part of the Mauna Kea resort and can (presumably) be rented or leased. The rooms are big, the architecture is made with lots of heavy slate, sandstone, marble, and oak (?) wood, and it all seems to emanate a character of build quality and gigantic spaciousness (e.g. the lobby area) which is hard to find nowadays. Compared to this hotel, so many other places I saw appeared cramped, touristy, and relatively ordinary, whereas this hotel is so lavish in its space use and beach access that it makes you wonder by what means it is possible to finance such a building and its surrounding lands.

P.S. I think my nice panorama photo gets cropped, so it doesn't really do the hotel justice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New Canaan CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

After a 12 year absence, we traveled back to the Mauna Kea / Hapuna area - this time staying at the Hapuna Prince - the cheap sister of the Mauna Kea.

Rooms were good - we opted for the ocean front rooms - which are closest to the beach (2 minute walk from room to sand) - but whose views of the ocean are blocked by trees.

Pool was great - food was okay (good, but nothing special - and you pay for the location in food prices)

The beach was fantastic - a long white sand beach (rare on Hawaii) with excellent snorkeling off either side of the crescent.

Some negatives - wifi is not free and is not even handled by the hotel - you need to go through an elaborate process to hook it all up through Time Warner Cable. The hotel is spread out - so there's a good bit of walking to and fro different things - on different levels - and given the lateness of the summer season - not all restaurants were open at all times - usually just 1 per evening. Likewise - some events like stargazing - got canceled due to lack of people signing up.

Allin all though - it is a pretty good value relative to Mauna Kea - or the Four Seasons - both of which are far more expensive. the real key here is the beach - and it is a great one.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Fountain Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

First off, let me say that I really enjoyed our stay at the Hapuna. We had the "Premium ocean View" room and the view was breathtaking. Initially we were put in "Siberia" at the end of tower 5 Room 5924, the ocean is a long way out from here and there is a lot of native scrub brush there. I asked for an received a different room (4910) and we were very pleased. I would definitely recommend Bldg. 4, any room between 4901 up has a fantastic view. The front desk person had the room ready the next morning , as promised, and had a small roll-away for our daughter. The staff is kind of sparse at this hotel, but everyone seems to go out of their way for the guests.

We really enjoy eating out numerous times while on vacation, and unfortunately the Hapuna does not really come through in this department. The breakfast Buffet is outstanding, fresh fruits and excellent omelet bar etc. made this a pleasure. But, at $25 per person it was not something I wanted to do every day. We had 1 meal at the pool (really ,just appetizers) and they were just OK. The drinks are also just OK, and at 10 - 12 dollars each they should really have more booze in them. The "Fine Dining" options at this hotel are sad and a poor value. I don't remember the names of these restaurants (Ocean Terrace ???), but we tried both of them and were disappointed both times.I called down to find out about the "early bird" dinner and was underwhelmed to find out that they offered a mere 15% discount, we went anyway and had some very overpriced and not very good food. When the bill came, the discount was not applied, long story short, we finally got the discount and they charged a mandatory 15% tip on top of the bill like we were Hobo's for wanting the discount that they advertised in the room literature.

There are many great restaurant choices within minutes of the resort to the North in Kawihae(10 minutes)...Cafe Pesto (good Italian, salads, fresh fish and pizza, Tres Hombres (descent Mexican food, great Fajitas). Go North East to Waimea (20 Minutes) and you have Hawaiian Style Cafe (cheapest Breakfast around, and good food too). Merrimans and Daniel Thiebaut are here as well, (I didn't eat at either, but they have excellent reputations). South of the Hapuna you have Mauna Lani (10 minutes)with multiple Dining ans shopping opportunities (Ruth's Chris early bird is excellent here, arrive before 6 pm and you get a great deal). A little further south is Waikoloa, home of the Hilton and many other resorts, the Kings and Queens shops are located here as well as Roy's Waikoloa ( we had an outstanding dinner here).

After reading previous reviews you would think this place was completely isolated from the rest of the island, I would never go to any Hawaiian island without a rental car, there's too much to see. As for the reviews stating that the resort was dirty and run down, I noticed some areas that need some attention, overall it is an excellent value for the price. If you can afford the Four Seasons, what are you staying here for anyway?

Other than the disappointing dining experiences, I loved this hotel and will definitely return again. If the food was better I'd give it 4.5 stars.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!