- Best body surfing beach on the Big Island. Much better beach than Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Hilton Waikoloa or Four Seasons Hualalai.
- Excellent, large pool with view of the ocean.
- Rooms are bigger than Mauna Kea (sister hotel).
- Room rates are not inexpensive, but more reasonable than Mauna Kea.
- Breakfast buffet is extensive and on a beautiful terrace overlooking the pool/ocean.
- Exercise facility is excellent.
- Golf course is a difficult, often windy (but beautiful) links course.
- Tennis facility is at the Mauna Kea.
- Shuttle to the Mauna kea has been discontinued.
- Dedicated concierge is no longer available (handled by the front desk).
- Coast Grille restaurant is excellent, but pricy.
- Maintenance of external wood doors/trim has fallen behind.