“Incredibly relaxing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Puako
Hawaii
“Incredibly relaxing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

My new hubby and I spent the first few days of our honeymoon at the beautiful Fairmont Orchid Hotel. And, it was lovely. I had never been to this part of the Big Island, so, as we were driving from the airport past lava fields, en route to the hotel, I really was not sure what to expect. What awaited us was a very elegantly decorated hotel that served as home for the next few days. It didn't take long before we adopted to the leisurely pace of life at this relaxing resort. I have been to other islands and other resorts, but there was something very special about the Fairmont Orchid. We spent the next few mornings lounging at the cabanas along the bay. In the evening, we gazed at the stars while swinging on a hammock that swayed gently with the wind. In the afternoons, we participated in turtle talk, a short talk led by a "beach boy" familiar with the area. And, while he was talking, as if on cue, a flipper emerged from the sea and a turtle made his way to a rocky area on land to sun himself. Everytime we walked by this area, we'd take a look to see if there were any turtles, and, lo and behold, the turtles were there. Oh, yes,I haven't even mentioned the food. First of all, some tips: We highly recommend purchasing the package that affords you free breakfast buffets. The buffet at the Orchid Court is yummy! My husband loves natto, and natto was available every day. The food selection was impressive. Even the potatoes were interesting -- a blend of regular potatos and sweet potatoes, plus all the toppings (chocolate, macadamia nuts, fruits, etc) one could imagine on your choice of waffles or pancakes. Also, not to be missed, was the food at the Luana Lounge. I'm not sure if this special runs every month, but from something like 5 - 7 pm, one could get pupus (appetizers) for half-price. And, these were very yummy and filling appetizers. We turned our appetizers into a dinner! For $40, we tried about seven different appetizers on the menu, and they were all good. Spring rolls for $4.50! That's a meal in itself! And, another restaurant not to be missed, the Japanese restaurant open from Thursday through Monday. They have a four-course meal for $39, and it's worth every penny. Try to get a seat at the sushi bar. The sushi chefs come from Japan, and the sushi they make is delish! The sushi alone, which comes as part of the four-course meal, is a meal unto itself. Just when you think you can't eat any more, the dessert comes out. We had a treat because the dessert was a chocolate mochi brownie with ice cream on it. Very delicate flavor with just the right sweetness.

Okay, sorry for prattling on about the food, but it just provides further evidence of how classy this place is. Everything is quality ~ from the appointments in the hallways to the customer service. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and we were actually kind of sad to leave the place. We went on to visit another hotel in Kauai, which was also very nice. But, there was just something magical about the Fairmont Orchid. And, I'm not being biased just because we spent the first days of our honey moon there. It's a great place to bring some books or magazines and just allow yourself to discover again the joys of total relaxation and serenity. Beautiful, fresh air and a relaxed, elegant atmosphere. We're already planning our return trip! Aloha!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

I stayed for a conference and very much enjoyed the facilities and the service. The hotel is not well signposted from the road, and it is quite a drive from the airport at Kona. Having said that, once you arrive, this resort is marvellous, and beautifully looked after. All water activities are available, plus golf and tennis. There's not much to do nearby - but many colleagues went off to explore the wonders of the Big Island. I would recommend this resort for that get-away-from-it-all vacation you may be dreaming of.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

The Orchid has the best Beach + Pool on the Island. While the accodomdations on the Four Seasons are better, the beach is weak and the pool overcrowded.

Pluses:
1. Beach
2. Snorkelling
3. Pool is awesome.
4. Location (Close to Airports, restaurants + other hotels etc.)
5. Rooms are adequate
6. Lots of package deals through travel agency (breakfast included + credits etc.)
7. Golf Course on site.
8. Rent a private Cabana by the beach

Minuses:
1. Not caliber of other Fairmont Hotels in U.S (3.5 star, not 5 star).
2. Food at hotel is Really Expensive for mediocre quality - eat off site.

Things to do:
1. SNORKEL OR SCUBA WITH MANTA RAYS - MUST DO!!!!!
2. Drive around Island
3. Walk through tropical rain forest on other side of island - see waterfalls
4. Go to Volcano

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I have been to Hawaii several times..Maui and Kauai. I decided to go solo to Kona - Big Island. I was placed via my travel agent at the most wonderfully relaxing and visually beautiful hotel ever - Fairmont Orchid. They are rated 4 star..this is like a total 5 star..the food in all the restaurants and bars was superb...service exceptional from the front desk to concierge, to bell hops, to the bars, to the restaurants. The room was fantastic..an ocean view room..perfect view..could see ocean well and wonderful views of swimming pool and courtyard. Plenty of private space on my balcony to chill and be served or to go down the street to the amazing food store like Bristol Farms here - Sunland Farms - to buy fresh food, sushi, drinks. The best beach on the island - Mauna Kea - is just a 5 minute drive upcoast north. I can't say enough positive things about it. Keith,,,,the front desk manager is truly one of thee most professional hotel managers I have ever encountered. I am so so happy I stayed there. I was by myself and they made me feel very special and attended to.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 9 nights on the first leg of our Honeymoon. We were greeted and escorted to the Gold Floor in the north wing. Patricia checked us in and showed us our fabulous room. The room was awesome - great ocean views and views of the hotel grounds. French doors, marble bathrooms, comfy beds. We were greeted each night with wine, cookies, chocolates, champaigne, etc. The Gold Floor lounge has complimentary internet access, beer/soda,water/juice, snacks, breakfast and nightly hors d'oeuvres. Patricia, Stacy and Annie from the Gold Floor were very nice, helpful and a pleasure to speak to. They were very helpful in making all the reservations for dinner and other out-of-hotel excursions we had planned.

The hotel restaurants are great. Brown's has a great menu. We also had dinner arragned for us on the beach which was done perfectly. The luau is one of the best on the island. If you are going to spend at least 3 days on the beach, get the activity package so you can snorkel, lounge on the float, kayak, etc without having to pay for each. During our stay, many of the children seemed to stay at the pool area while adults mainly occupied the beach area.

Overall, this was the finest hotel we have stayed at on the Big Island and would highly recommend anyone to stay here. I would encourage those considering it to upgrade to the Gold Floor.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

We spent the last 4 nights of our honeyoon at the Fairmont Orchid. It had some tough competition as we stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Kauai and The Kahala on Oahu. I'll start by saying our stay at the Fairmont Orchid got off to a rough start. We had payed for an ocean view room and while I was parking the car, they told my wife they upgraded us to an ocean view room, which confused me [she really didn't know because I made the reservation]. . .but I figured who cares as long as we end up in an ocean view room. We then checked into our room to find we had an extremely limited ocean view room with our primary view being a golf course. To make matters worse we had two double beds even though they knew we were on our honeymoon -- this really upset me! They had champagne chilling for our honeymoon, but gave us two double beds???! Anyway, we called down to the front desk to express our displeasure. They agreed to move us to another room across the hall, which was much better. It had a view of the pool [with the ocean in the background] and also had a king bed. We really did not like the decor in either of the rooms as it was very strange decorating to say the least. . .I felt like we were staying in a dated NYC hotel. I'm really not at all picky on the decor of hotel rooms, but I found the decor of our hotel room distasteful. It certainly did not feel like Hawaii to me. Anyway, those are my primary complaints regarding this hotel. Some of the pros are as follows:
1) The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Significantly nicer than the Mauna Lani hotel in my opinion, which is on the same grounds.
2) The pool was very nice very nice
3) The beach area was great
4) Brown's Beach House restaurnt was excellent and the sunsets from this hotel were amazing.
5) Service was average
6) It was a good value as our breakfast was included each day and we received a good deal through our travel agent.

Overall, if you can tolerate the odd room decor and limited ocean view than I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Twin Cities, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Okay, I am currently staying this hotel. We went Japanese restaurant last night and they were incredibly pricy. I mean, the price is in same league as Nobu, but the quality of food were less than what I usually get in Japanese restaurant in Minnesota, USA. (midwest USA....)
Is this possible in Hawaii? apparently, yes.
If anyone who cares about their sashimi quality, I recommand you stay away from this one.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii? Share your experiences!