“Lovely resort on the Big Island West Coast” 4 of 5 stars

5th Nite Free + Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Puako
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely resort on the Big Island West Coast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

I stayed for a conference and very much enjoyed the facilities and the service. The hotel is not well signposted from the road, and it is quite a drive from the airport at Kona. Having said that, once you arrive, this resort is marvellous, and beautifully looked after. All water activities are available, plus golf and tennis. There's not much to do nearby - but many colleagues went off to explore the wonders of the Big Island. I would recommend this resort for that get-away-from-it-all vacation you may be dreaming of.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Korean first
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

The Orchid has the best Beach + Pool on the Island. While the accodomdations on the Four Seasons are better, the beach is weak and the pool overcrowded.

Pluses:
1. Beach
2. Snorkelling
3. Pool is awesome.
4. Location (Close to Airports, restaurants + other hotels etc.)
5. Rooms are adequate
6. Lots of package deals through travel agency (breakfast included + credits etc.)
7. Golf Course on site.
8. Rent a private Cabana by the beach

Minuses:
1. Not caliber of other Fairmont Hotels in U.S (3.5 star, not 5 star).
2. Food at hotel is Really Expensive for mediocre quality - eat off site.

Things to do:
1. SNORKEL OR SCUBA WITH MANTA RAYS - MUST DO!!!!!
2. Drive around Island
3. Walk through tropical rain forest on other side of island - see waterfalls
4. Go to Volcano

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I have been to Hawaii several times..Maui and Kauai. I decided to go solo to Kona - Big Island. I was placed via my travel agent at the most wonderfully relaxing and visually beautiful hotel ever - Fairmont Orchid. They are rated 4 star..this is like a total 5 star..the food in all the restaurants and bars was superb...service exceptional from the front desk to concierge, to bell hops, to the bars, to the restaurants. The room was fantastic..an ocean view room..perfect view..could see ocean well and wonderful views of swimming pool and courtyard. Plenty of private space on my balcony to chill and be served or to go down the street to the amazing food store like Bristol Farms here - Sunland Farms - to buy fresh food, sushi, drinks. The best beach on the island - Mauna Kea - is just a 5 minute drive upcoast north. I can't say enough positive things about it. Keith,,,,the front desk manager is truly one of thee most professional hotel managers I have ever encountered. I am so so happy I stayed there. I was by myself and they made me feel very special and attended to.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 9 nights on the first leg of our Honeymoon. We were greeted and escorted to the Gold Floor in the north wing. Patricia checked us in and showed us our fabulous room. The room was awesome - great ocean views and views of the hotel grounds. French doors, marble bathrooms, comfy beds. We were greeted each night with wine, cookies, chocolates, champaigne, etc. The Gold Floor lounge has complimentary internet access, beer/soda,water/juice, snacks, breakfast and nightly hors d'oeuvres. Patricia, Stacy and Annie from the Gold Floor were very nice, helpful and a pleasure to speak to. They were very helpful in making all the reservations for dinner and other out-of-hotel excursions we had planned.

The hotel restaurants are great. Brown's has a great menu. We also had dinner arragned for us on the beach which was done perfectly. The luau is one of the best on the island. If you are going to spend at least 3 days on the beach, get the activity package so you can snorkel, lounge on the float, kayak, etc without having to pay for each. During our stay, many of the children seemed to stay at the pool area while adults mainly occupied the beach area.

Overall, this was the finest hotel we have stayed at on the Big Island and would highly recommend anyone to stay here. I would encourage those considering it to upgrade to the Gold Floor.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

We spent the last 4 nights of our honeyoon at the Fairmont Orchid. It had some tough competition as we stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Kauai and The Kahala on Oahu. I'll start by saying our stay at the Fairmont Orchid got off to a rough start. We had payed for an ocean view room and while I was parking the car, they told my wife they upgraded us to an ocean view room, which confused me [she really didn't know because I made the reservation]. . .but I figured who cares as long as we end up in an ocean view room. We then checked into our room to find we had an extremely limited ocean view room with our primary view being a golf course. To make matters worse we had two double beds even though they knew we were on our honeymoon -- this really upset me! They had champagne chilling for our honeymoon, but gave us two double beds???! Anyway, we called down to the front desk to express our displeasure. They agreed to move us to another room across the hall, which was much better. It had a view of the pool [with the ocean in the background] and also had a king bed. We really did not like the decor in either of the rooms as it was very strange decorating to say the least. . .I felt like we were staying in a dated NYC hotel. I'm really not at all picky on the decor of hotel rooms, but I found the decor of our hotel room distasteful. It certainly did not feel like Hawaii to me. Anyway, those are my primary complaints regarding this hotel. Some of the pros are as follows:
1) The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Significantly nicer than the Mauna Lani hotel in my opinion, which is on the same grounds.
2) The pool was very nice very nice
3) The beach area was great
4) Brown's Beach House restaurnt was excellent and the sunsets from this hotel were amazing.
5) Service was average
6) It was a good value as our breakfast was included each day and we received a good deal through our travel agent.

Overall, if you can tolerate the odd room decor and limited ocean view than I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Twin Cities, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Okay, I am currently staying this hotel. We went Japanese restaurant last night and they were incredibly pricy. I mean, the price is in same league as Nobu, but the quality of food were less than what I usually get in Japanese restaurant in Minnesota, USA. (midwest USA....)
Is this possible in Hawaii? apparently, yes.
If anyone who cares about their sashimi quality, I recommand you stay away from this one.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

From what I am told this hotel used to be a Ritz-Carlton, and from my stay here I can see that this Fairmont has adopted some of the Ritz's service. I've stayed at other Fairmont hotels but this particular one had impeccable service and attentive staff. The location is perfect for a beach side resort, and the hotel offers many amenities and services. Our package included a breakfast buffet each day and we were quite pleased with the outdoor seating, service, and quality and selection of food. We spent a day at the lagoon beach under a cabana and loved it - a great way to relax, read, and rest. The room was reminiscent of a Ritz - clean, large and comfortable, huge closet, lots of drawers, mini-fridge, the bathroom ample as well with a shower/tub and a separate shower stall, and a nice lanai (balcony) to sit and read overlooking the garden, and if you turned your head slightly you could capture a sliver of an ocean view!
Suggestions: Although the food was good here at the Orchid, I would recommend stopping at the Foodland right at the beginning of Kaniku Drive to pick up water, snacks and fruit, beer and wine that you can easily store in your room fridge. Bring your workout clothes as well so you can workout at the fitness center that has at least a dozen cardio machines, no waiting!
We truly enjoyed our stay here, it was relaxing and comfortable and we felt like we were a world away from everyone.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii? Share your experiences!