“Favorite resort chain in the world!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
5th Night Free
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Puako
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Favorite resort chain in the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is my favorite resort chain in the world, and favorite resort on the Big Island. The resort is just absolutely breathtakingly beautiful, I grew up in Hawaii and live on the Big Island now, and so I've seen all of the resorts and this resort just enamors me with it's beauty every single time I visit it! The walk along the water is amazing, and if you are wanting a peaceful vacation with not as many kids running around, then this is definitely your place. There is a nice little sandy beach with a little cove to swim in, and a pool right by the ocean. A restaurant in sand right by the ocean, and another restaurant with amazing views for the perfect sunset dinner. As well as a pretty good sushi restaurant, and a little deli with quick meals like smoothies, sandwiches. Just a 2 minute drive away is a market and some shops including Tommy Bahamas clothing store and the restaurant, another excellent choice for lunch/dinner. Mauna Lani resort area (which is where the Fairmont Orchid is located) in general is probably my favorite part of the island. :) If you like running, I would recommend running along the water from the Fairmont to Napua restaurant (and you could go beyond that some if you want too), it's all along the water and my favorite run on the island! Enjoy!!! :)

My only complaint would be the customer service when I called to make a reservation; I had requested to use my upgrade for a room rather than an upgrade for a suite, but when I showed up, they had booked it as a suite upgrade and had to use it otherwise a room upgrade would have been taken hour. Of course the suite was amazing, but I was wanting to save it for a little later time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights here starting on July 13th. The grounds are gorgeous and the room we had was awesome I was especially pleased with the bathroom, which we were told was from the Ritz origin of this property. Since this was our first trip to Hawaii and we were visiting 3 islands in 10 days I really wanted a nice relaxing spot and the Orchid didn't disappoint The staff was friendly and the amenities wonderful. We ate at Browns, their specialty restaurant and found it very good the beach was a little disappointing as its in a cove, but the pool was very nice. All in all we had a wonderful time here and have no real complaints.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TheFairmontOrchid, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review; your feedback is very much appreciated. It is gratifying to know that you enjoyed your stay and found the relaxation you were hoping for. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We just got back from our second stay at the Fairmont Orchid. Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenage daughters) had a fantastic 4 nights there! Excellent service and the staff is friendly and helpful. The room was very clean with double sinks, a bathtub shower combo and separate shower stall which made it easy for 4 of us to stay in one room. Sign up for the President's Club and get free internet service and discounts on things like cabana rentals. We rented a cabana at the beach which only cost $60 for the entire day. Heavenly! Our family loves the breakfast buffet, which is pricey but has a delicious variety of food. One of the best breakfast buffets ever! You can get breakfast items at Browns Deli for less money if you prefer. One of our favorite things about the Fairmont Orchid is that there is good snorkeling right from the beach! We saw numerous turtles and lots of fish. Browns Beach House is a nice treat for dinner. Other nights we would drive to Merrimans. The Fairmont Orchid has an air of understated elegance about it. We can't wait to go back. One of my favorite hotels in the world !

Room Tip: We upgraded to an ocean view room. We faced the golf course with ocean views in the distance but wo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially that The Fairmont Orchid is one of your favorite hotels in the world! Thank you for choosing to stay with us again – we look forward to your next visit.

North Stonington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Terrific hotel, great service, and very comfortable rooms. Pool service was also exceptional. Never an issue getting towels or a waiter for food and beverage.

You will pay the price for cabanas, they start at $50.00. However, they come with a cooler of snacks, fruit, and water.

If we had one complaint, it's that the restaurants are limited during the day. That said, the food was very good all the way around. Brown's Beach House for dinner was the best meal we had out of all the places we ate (including the Four Season's). The sunset was also an added bonus.

Room Tip: Pay the price for an ocean view room, if you can. If not, just enjoy the fact that the rooms are co...
Green Features: Very green hotel. Participate as much as you want in terms of towels and sheet changing service as well as compostable drinking cups.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for choosing The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii during your recent visit to Hawaii. We are excited to know that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We spend the school breaks (Spring/March and Winter/December) in Hawaii on our favorite island, the Big Island, and at our favorite hotel... The Orchid !!

Do yourself a big favor and try it. You will have a great time. Wonderful location with sea turtles, a natural lagoon for snorkeling, whale watching etc. The beach boys help you with everything, surfing, fishing, etc. So relaxing and such wonderful food abounds.

Room Tip: Book the GOLD Level.
Green Features: Very environmentally focused-- gives you the options to reuse bedding, towels, etc
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you so much for spending your vacation time with us. Your feedback is important to us and we appreciate your positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in December!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at this property exactly one year ago with a friend. And, all I could think about was how much I wish I had my family with me to experience the beauty, hospitality, peace and tranquility that the Fairmont Orchid offers. Flash forward a year later--I brought my family (72 year old mother; 11 year old niece and 10 year old niece and nephew) and the experience exceeded a dream come true!! None of us wanted to leave!!!
Noteworthy, for anyone not staying on the "Gold" floor, not to worry. Don't get me wrong- the Gold Floor is really nice. I experienced it last year for a whole week. And, this year, we were not on the Gold Floor. And, we had an equally amazing experience.
Everyone was so nice--from the Bellman who helped us to our room,to the front desk staff, to the staff in the Fairmont Orchid restaurant--especially the omelet maker; Robbie and Iliana; to the beach boys--Elijah and John. And, the entire house keeping staff.
I just can't say enough about our GREAT experience!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I noticed that some reviewers are extremely critical and picky---really???? This place is GREAT!!!

Green Features: Not too many trash cans available throughout the property.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, and for returning with your family. We are thrilled that you had an amazing time, and it is especially gratifying to know how many of our colleagues contributed to your memorable experience. It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Campbell, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

An absolutely gorgeous hotel perfect for a romantic getaway or quiet vacation. The rooms are really nice and clean. The grounds are immaculate with a decent sized pool, a nice lagoon for snorkeling and paddle-boarding, volleyball court, bar, coffee-shop/deli, a few restaurants, and amazing staff! My husband and I can not speak highly enough of the incredible staff that work the shuttle area and the bell-hops. Everyone was very friendly and gave us really good advice on activities and things to see around the island. When you leave for a day trip they provide you with bottles of water and towels for your rental car which was a very nice touch.

Make sure to check out the live music every night from about 5-8 in the Luana lounge while watching the sunset. My husband and I felt we found much better food for a much better price at the Mauna Lani shops (i.e Ruth's Chris happy hour is awesome and Monstera is delicious).

The only slight criticism I have (which is barely a concern and should not keep anyone from choosing this hotel and is barely the hotel's fault) are the pesky birds around the Orchid Court during breakfast. I was just about to take a sip of my coffee cup when one of the hundred prowling birds dropped a piece of bread it was holding in its mouth above me which fell in my coffee cup. A few minutes later another bird pooped right next to me. The breakfast buffet was extremely delicious, but the hotel might want to consider installing those spikes around the building to help keep the birds away.

Overall, the hotel was incredible and made for a dreamy and perfect honeymoon. I would most definitely go back and recommend this hotel to many friends and family members.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii? Share your experiences!