“Gorgeous, Relaxing + Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Islands at Mauna Lani

You added The Islands at Mauna Lani to your Saves list
The Islands at Mauna Lani
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   68-1050 Mauna Lani Point Drive, Puako, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Puako B&B and Inns
Urbandale
“Gorgeous, Relaxing + Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

There is absolutely nothing negative to say about unit G2 in The Islands at Mauna Lani! The unit is a beautiful unit right on the golf course. I sat on the lanai each morning and watched a magnificent sunrise and walked a short distance to the beach to enjoy the day. The evening sunsets at the Beach House and pool side are a must!

The beds are extremely comfortable for a peaceful nights rest with the breeze flowing through the room. The amenities are wonderful and you will not be disappointed. The market is a short distance away should you want to prepare some of your own meals in the condo as well as restaurants in which all meals were fabulous.

The spa is first class and I would definitely visit again!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Rochester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

This is a luxury, high end condo so you should hope for that. We started off in the Mauna Lani Point resort first (arrival Dec 11) but left after we we told there was no pool for our entire stay (Dec 19). If we were told before we left home (the pool renovation began Nov 13th) we would have picked a different place. So we negotiated to go to the Islands. This process was very difficult. So at the Islands the pool was available but the jacuzzi was broken as per the sign 11/03/08. The condo was gigantic as others have said but large and impersonal. The rooms were well appointed.
So after staying at the condo our second night we were infested with termites in the living room. After a full can of raid we stopped the problem. All through the stay we had sugar ants in the kitchen as well as mosquitos. We were told this is normal don't worry. So we did not worry but we have mosquito bites everywhere. Other maintenance issues where leaky toilets and an alarm system that randomly went off.
The last insult was 2 days before we were going to leave they closed the pool.(no notice). This was so some drain work could be done. To do so they emptied the pool.
We attempted to speak to a manager of Classic Resorts in Hawaii who "run" the condos and NO ONE would call us. To solve our problems we called the 800 number and spoke to someone on Maui who tried to help .
We solved the problem by leaving before we wanted to.

So if you want luxury with no pool in Hawaii this place is for you

• Liked — large rooms, great location
  • Disliked — termites,ants, no ( broken) pool,no (broken) jacuzzi, geckos, alarms broken
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

I just got back from staying at the Islands at Mauna Lani. Just myself and my parents. As we pulled in they were quite stunned at how beautiful and spacious each unit is. Having your own garage to park the car? Big plus. We had a bit of a hard time getting inside but that was in due part to the dark outside (we got in late) nonetheless the unit was HUGE. We had a 2 bedroom and the unit was larger than my own home! I loved having the privacy of having separate rooms and my own lanai. No oean view but I didn't really care, I spend all day on the beach anyway I'd rather have a phenomenal resort off the beach than a mediocre one on the beach! My only complaint was that the furnishing in the unit we were in were really dated. The owner must have put in a bare minimum of what was required to furnish the home. The drapes were paper thin, I could take a match near and they'd go up in flames. The decour looked like something out of a garage sale. Random pots placed around, the TV although big screen was old as well. My biggest peeve was with the blinds they didn't close completely because they weren't long enough, cheap bamboo blinds. Now I know these units are gorgeous and I've seen several with furnishings I could only dream of. My only advice to you is avoid unit D4 if you can, if you're spending that kind of money you should have a unit that shows.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from here because I love this place. The private beach club access was wonderful, best snorkeling I've ever done. The units are gorgeous and money well spent. I only mention this because if you are paying for something nice you should know if something is less than that, and unfortunately it seemed to me that these owners didn't care.

• Liked — The home itself was just incredible the amount of space and privacy was wonderful!
  • Disliked — The furnishings, they could use some updating
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

Just returned from Hawaii. We stayed at the Islands, while they are not the closest to the beach, they were fantastic! Extremely beautiful and spacious. It was right on the golf course and nicely landscaped. Make sure you get a beach club card with your unit because the beach club is some of the best snorkeling that we had our whole trip. Our unit had a gas grill, seating outside for dining as well as a very well equiped kitchen. Barely saw anyone else on the property. Pool is small, but nice with lava rocks and a waterfall. I would buy a unit there if I didn't live so far away!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Expense of Kohala Coast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

Four of us (women friends) spent a wonderful week at The Islands at Mauna Lani. I wondered before I left if I should have chosen The Point instead because it is closer to the ocean -- but once I arrived, I easily concluded that I'd made the right choice.
The Islands are new, fresh, open and airy -- and huge! Our unit opened on to green lawns and beyond that, the golf course. The decor was very upscale -- we had many art pieces in our unit. The beds were comfortable and the kitchen was well equipped. Access to the ocean is through an interesting, self-guided lava field (paved path) that passes by lava tubes. A ten minute walk takes you to the Mauna Lani ponds -- spectacular -- with the ocean in the background.
The private beach that is included with The Islands rental was great -- a small, white sandy cove with ample lounge chairs and a small restaurant/bar on the lawn. We rented snorkel equipment on the premises and had a decent experience right at the mouth of the cove. We were there during whale season, and saw a whale jump just beyond the cove. Closest I've been to a whale without being on a boat tour.
One drawback: sleeping arrangements. There were supposed to be five us us on this trip and Classic Resorts said the unit accommodated six. One of us canceled at the last minute. Good thing. There were two bedrooms: one with a king and another with two twins. The extra bed they added for our fifth person was a daybed set up in the upstairs hallway! The sofas downstairs were not hide-a-beds. If we had been a party of five, this sleeping arrangement would have been unacceptable.
There is a very good grocery store on the Mauna Lani property that did not seem unduly expensive for Hawaii, and it had a lot of variety (the panini sandwiches were especially good to take for a picnic.)
I think The Islands are one of the nicest properties at Mauna Lani, and if you can get a good deal on the price, go for it!

• Liked — Spaciousness, tasteful decor, spotlessly clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — Limited sleeping accomodations for more than 4 people
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

This is a great option for several couples traveling together. The Islands of Mauna Lani in the Mauna Lani Resort complex offers upscale condos with lots of privacy, all on a beautiful golf course and in a gated area. The pool is within walking distance of all condos. You will need a car for transportation because the resort is big and the beach and golf clubhouse are a few miles away. Each bedroom is set up with huge private bathrooms. Maid service is included daily.

While there, don't miss making reservations at Brown's Restaurant at the Orchid Fairmont on the Mauna Lani Resort. The best sunset on the Big Island and wonderful food. Ask to be seated at one of Fred's tables. This waiter is a wealth of information about the island and offers wonder service.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

My extended family stayed here in late September, and thought it was delightful. We stayed in a large, airy and bright 3-bedroom end unit (F1). It was very nicely furnished and the kitchen and laundry were well-equipped. Maid service was included. The townhouses are in clusters of 4, quite spread out and private.

We took advantage of everything on the larger Mauna Lani Resort property (restaurants, spa, golf, etc). But having the house meant we could get up on our own schedules and have breakfast, and there was lots of space for the toddler with us to spread out her toys, and the adults could hang out while she napped.

The Islands are on the golf course, not on the ocean, but our rental included passes to the Beach Club, which had a lovely beach and cafe. We also used the beaches at the Mauna Lani Hotel and the Fairmount Orchid. There is also a pool in the Islands complex. There was an on-call van to take us anywhere at the resort -- never waited more than 10 minutes for it to arrive.

• Liked — Very spacious, bright and airy accomodations.
  • Disliked — No internet access
  • Tips/Secrets — The General Store on the property is limited and expensive. Stuck up at the Waikoloa market (the town, not the resort).
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Islands at Mauna Lani? Share your experiences!