“A Paradise Found” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

You added Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows to your Saves list
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   68-1400 Mauna Lani Drive, Puako, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
4th Nite Free & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Puako
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kula, Hawaii
“A Paradise Found”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I love this property for it has something for everyone. The Ponds and Fish are amazing. They are much like they where in ancient times. This place is a kids paradise with so much discovery of the true Hawaii far away from Disneyland rides. I like the friendly people and hawaiian culture that this property offers. The Canoe House was lovely outdoor dinning too.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the ponds and some ocean just beautiful. It was nice and quiet even though it w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by our experience here. My expectations has been low before we arrived - I'm not sure why. Our room had a fabulous view of the pool and ocean (but we were expecting a garden/mountain view so were pleasantly surprised.) Unlike other resorts we stayed at in Hawaii, this one does not charge for use of snorkel equipment or beach chairs. The resort also included valet parking for no additional charge. And my jaw dropped when they told us there was a laundry room, no charge, and they provide the laundry soap! I liked not being nickel-and-dimed.
We ate at the hotel restaurants occasionally but also ventured to the market in the adjacent shopping center in order to save a little money. The people working there were kind and helpful. Excellent attention to detail. It was my favorite resort during our Hawaiian vacation (we went to three islands and three resorts.) I would absolutely recommend to others.

Room Tip: If you can afford it get an ocean/pool view room. They are currently doing some renovations so be s...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I just returned from a magical 8 day trip at the fabulous Mauna Lani Hotel. From the moment I arrived I was treated superbly, starting with a free upgrade to an ocean view room. The room overlooked three of the beautiful fish and turtle ponds. I fell asleep each night to the soothing sounds of the waterfalls inside the ponds. The service was impeccable, the amenities first class and my only regret is that I had to leave such a magnificent resort. Thank you to everyone who made my first trip to Hawaii so amazing. I will be returning and I will be staying at the incomparable Mauna Lani Hotel! Mahalo!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boise, Idaho, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at the Mauna Lani for 6 nights, June 1-6. We were warmly greeted when we first arrived, and received friendly attention and a nice cool drink during our check in. We appreciated the various amenities, including the free guest laundry room. The location was excellent for our visit. We had easy access to golf and snorkeling. It is an easy drive to Waimea if you want cooler temperatures. The Mauna Kea visitors center is a little further (about 51 miles, 1-1/4 hr. drive each way). We only ate breakfast at the Mountain Thunder coffee shop, but it worked fine for us as we are not big breakfast eaters. The room was well kept, clean, and we loved the open air lobby/atrium area. All the employees were friendly and helpful, and we had several nice chats with the bellmen/valets as we came and went. We used the free bicycles for a ride one morning. They provided towels for snorkeling away from the hotel (49 Black Sand Beach). Lunch at the golf course, Huli Sue’s, was good. My wife did the hotel arrangements and she said that Karen from reservations was wonderful to work with on the phone. She was able to give my wife a free room upgrade to the Deluxe Ocean View on the fifth floor. In addition, Karen emailed a very informative confirmation letter giving additional information that my wife had asked about. We would gladly stay here again!

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

ok, this was our second trip back to the ML and are we glad we decided to go back!! where do I start? we had room 538 a beach front which had the most amazing view of the sunset, the ocean and the stars at night. the bed was to die for, we are sticklers for a comfy, clean bed with high thread count sheets and this was top 10 bed in our global travels.

the property is the best resort on that coastline. there is beach in front of the hotel and another beach down the property that has the most beautiful walk to get there. on the property there are Ancient Fish ponds that have been preserved, you walk along those to get the second beach.

BONUS !!! on the way there they have a DIVE SHOP on property " The MAUNA LANI SEA ADVENTURES" AWESOME shop and people. STEVE and GARY are the divemasters who can handle very experienced divers ( like myself) and teach inexperienced divers like my wife and daughter right there on the beach. they have boat dives ( 2 tanks) and beach dives and couldnt be more knowledgeable and friendly. As an avid diver, i can tell you there are very very few resorts that have on site dive shops. ( you usually have to get picked up at 7am, drive for 30 minutes, go to a boat, go out for 4 hours and then drive home, so miss half your day) NOT so here, you go out at 8am back at 9:45 rest back out at 11am and on the beach by 12:45pm. it is ideal.

The beach amenities at the Mauna Lani and the Beach club are fantastic- stand up paddle surfing, snorkels, gear, etc. and a fantastic beach club restaurant at the far beach.

at both beach plenty of covered cabanas and sun loungers...NO CHARGE also beach gear at the HOTEL beach NO CHARGE. Most hotels charge for all of this. Another bonus is there are no jet skis or parasailing so it is blissfully quiet.

the water is clear and the coral heads are in great shape. lots of sea life to look at and SEA
Turtles everywhere. The Mauna Lani has a sea turtle program, where they raise baby turtles and then release into the sea, once they are old enough to survive. 4th of July is Turtle independence day.

the other added bonus that comes at the end of the day..besides the postcard perfect sunset is the CANOE HOUSE restaurant. CHEF ALAN HESS, is a master. My wife and I consider ourselves foodies and ALAN knocked us out!! Every dish has been thought out and presented masterfully. The philosophy seems to be LOCAL and sustainable. local bacon, local honey, local goat cheese, fruit, veg..even a choice of grass fed local beef from 25 miles away. this was the icing on the cake each night. Ask for EDDIE, he may be the finest waiter in Hawaii or anywhere else for that matter.

we had breakfast in the main restaurant each morning outside looking over the lawn, which was great, my only criticism would be the dinner ( buffet) in that particular restaurant was sometimes a hodge podge of mexican, italian, asian etc...but that does serve well with kids and a diverse clientel..and it is definitely less $ than the Canoe House which is $$$. but i would say throw down for the Canoe House... it rivals any restaurant in the world. and I've been to a few.

all in all, if you can go to the Mauna Lani.. i will be jealous as my wife and daughter and I left both times looking back over our shoulders and feeling like we left home. i'll be back.

Room Tip: any of the beach front or beach view. if you have kids the "garden views" first floor ar...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel was a great start to our honey moon!!!
We love staff at the hotel, we loved how attentive everybody was and the fact that it has such a private beach was great. Everything was great. The rooms do need a little upgrade but in general we loved this hotel.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The location and surroundings were so perfect, I would book this hotel again despite being less impressed by the accommodations and staff. We loved being able to walk out the hotel and be on a beautiful beach with clear water, soft sand, and plenty of chairs.

The hotel itself felt outdated. The rooms were not what I'd expect based on the price. There was nothing WRONG with the rooms, but when the rate is $300+ (at a minimum), I'd like to be more impressed.

Additionally, the concierge service was less than stellar. When we asked about specific tours recommended in all the guide books, the woman we met with had no idea what we were talking about. She was only able to provide us with a brochure from one tour and also told us that the brochure was out of date. Both she and another employee we spoke with were not at all proactive in making recommendations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!