“The best resort and diving place” 5 of 5 stars

Komodo Resort & Diving Club
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Sebayur Island | Labuan Bajo, Komodo 80385, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Komodo
Taipei, Taiwan
“The best resort and diving place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have been to Palau, Sipadan, Similan, Palawan...etc. for diving. Komodo is by far the top one or two for diving. It's easy to see mantas, sea turtles and tons of astonishing corals. The place is hot but cool when there's shades and breezes.
The resort is cozy. The size of the room and the bathroom is huge. The bed is very comfortble. Fabulous corals just in front of the resort when snorkeling. Beautiful sunset to see when sea kayaking and small hike to the heels behind the bunglows. The workers are very friendly and helpful. The Italian food is fabulous.I definitely will visit again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Indonesian first
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

I was there last week with my wife, and we had a great time! The location is simply fantastic, it's an ideal place for relaxing and for enriching oneself with the beauty of the view. Every evening we had amazing sunsets that we could admire from the beach, from the hill top, or while canoeing. The reef is spectacular, such a rich variety of coral and fish that you almost don't need to go anywhere else for snorkeling. Talking about that, I'm not a diver, I can hardly swim, yet I had plenty of things to do in five days: snorkeling was superb (either at the resort or in other locations reached by boat, where for example we had also the chance to observe a lot of mantas!); we did a "discovery scuba dive" with an excellent instructor who made us feel very safe, and it was a wonderful experience; we went to see Komodo dragons in Rinca, and then flying foxes (highly recommended!); finally, we borrowed a kayak, we did some hiking, and of course we also just relaxed. The whole staff is very professional and friendly. Food is very good (both the Indonesian lunch and the Italian dinner - we particularly appreciated the homemade pasta and desserts). The bungalows are beautiful and comfortable, AC in the room, and free wifi in the dining/lounge area. In conclusion, the whole experience was superb and we fully recommend it, especially for young couples or groups of friends.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

My daughter walked out of our bungalow the first morning and said, "it's too beautiful here to be real!" What a lovely place, a real get away from the city.. we felt so well taken care of, and there were lots of choices to keep us busy: boat trips every day for scuba and snorkeling, a trip to the islands to see the dragons, just swimming on the beach to see soooo many fish and sea stars, or a trip around in the sea kayak. We'll be going back!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This Resort is a Dream for Divers and Snorkelers.
The House-Reef is absolutely stunning! You find so much healthy corals and so much animals around...
Diving here is so great! Always with current (sometimes less, sometimes more). All diving spots are wonderful, From Nudis to Mantas you will find nearly everything! Sometimes you don't see the corals because of all the fish... The Guides are great, they have a good eye for everything and Show you very much animals... Drift dive at Manta Point with Roberto was so much fun! Hunting for the Mantas... ;-)
Also for Snorkelers it is perfect! My Girlfriend don't dive, she can always come with us divers for snorkeling at the most dive-sites...
The Bungalows are very nice! You don't need aircon...
The staff is so friendly and nice, like a big Family! Elena is always smiling and helps you where ever she can...
Food was very good! Lunch indonesian Food, Dinner italian Food.
In this Resort you come as a guest and leave as a friend...
We will come back as soon as possible...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Great 5 days with the family (2 kids and 2 adults). Excellent diving with a variety of superb dive sites, fantastic resort with a beautiful white sand beach, delicious food and Elena and the crew make sure that the dream vacation comes true.
We can fully recommend this place. Thanks again to Elena and the team at the Komodo Resort.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Komodo Resort does a wonderful job of exposing the charm and aesthetic of Indonesia while accenting it with an Italian warmth. It feels luxurious but not decadent. In traveling through the Philippines and then Indonesia, I have found that too often hotels cater to what they anticipate foreigners will like rather than what the indigenous spot has to offer. Komodo fuses Indonesian flair with an Italian sensibility. It feels like you are staying with a mixed extended family.

For the divers, the inclusive price of dives, room and board is very fair. In our case, we were a group of four and for 2 out of 3 days we had the spacious dive boat to ourselves. Irvi, the dive master has a wonderful demeanor and took us around to beautiful spots. The diving around the hotel is stunning. The upper deck with bean bags was an incredible way to spend the way home.

If you are looking to see the dragons, stay here and take a day trip. We dove in the AM and went to Rinca in the afternoon for a 3K hike. You have to be up at the crack of dawn to attempt to spot them hiking as they are in the shade by 10AM. We had originally thought to camp on Rinca or Komodo, but SOOO happy we decided to stay here instead.

For snorkelers, the reef just off the hotel is an amazing variety of corals and sea life. We spotted rays, reef sharks, turtles, octopi and cuttlefish in addition to the more common and colorful varieties.

The food is Indonesian at lunch and Italian at dinner and always plentiful. Breakfast is either buffet or order and also filling. They have a small but delightful wine list (Gavi at lunch after a morning dive...what's better than that prospect?)

Elena and Antonello were both incredibly welcoming and hospitable. In addition to sharing a birthday cocktail with local sopi liquor, they went above and beyond in helping us with an airline ticket snafu at the end of the stay. We also appreciate that they employ a staff of 60 Indonesians that provides a valuable salaried position and training in the hospitality field. Surely that will come in handy as this beautiful corner of the world develops further.

In short, Komodo Resort is worth flying around the world to enjoy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed for 5 nights. When I researched this area, there weren't very many choices of hotels to choose from. They started at the highest, Komodo and jumped to a budget price of $40. I was very torn on what to do. I was traveling solo so I decided to go with the Komodo resort. Guessing it would be safer, etc. When I arrived in Flores, I didn't realize it was going to be a 1.5 hour boat ride to the actual resort. I suppose I didn't do proper research. I could have easily stayed on Flores for cheaper, saw the dragons and dived. Here are the pros and cons of my stay.
Pros: Enjoyed the airport transfer and greeting at the dock of resort. Loved AC. Food was good especially considering it was imported. Loved having access to as much drinking water as I wanted w/o being charged extra for it. The bungalow is lovely and spacious. Loved the turn down service in the evening. Loved having a fridge. Gorgeous reef right outside my bungalow. The massage was very relaxing. The locals were super friendly and eager to help. Stefano saved my life!! Literally!! He knew what to do in an underwater emergency.

Cons: Would have rather ate meals at my leisure instead of set timing. AC didn't completely cool all the time. In defense, it was really hot. The bungalow had a fan and AC but it was explained to me that if I put the AC on, they charged me extra for the room. Hated paying extra for internet.
Hated the slow boats to see the flying foxes (furry foxes) and the dragons. If it would have went just a little faster, maybe there would have been a breeze! Also, you had to smell gasoline fumes the entire time. The resort boasted being eco friendly but let boats slam anchors down all over reef. Not sure if they can do anything about that but just saying. The beach washed up tons of trash. I saw people cleaning the beach once. There is no spa. The Italian staff were friendly but you got the feeling they were ready to go back home. I didn't appreciate dealing with my dive equipment. Most places wont let you handle the tanks, etc. I know how to do it, I just don't want to being on vacation. With that said, I should have paid more attention. 2nd day, first dive, I ran out of air 10 minutes into the dive. My tank wasn't filled properly. I'm familiar with PSI not BAR. Wished they offered more than 1 type of red/white wine by the glass. My T-shirts shrank, ALOT!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
stefano p, Owner at Komodo Resort & Diving Club, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for the precious time you spent to review our Resort. We always appreciate your feedbacks and advices. Regarding your concerns, I need to clarify something.
About meals, our restaurant is open for lunch from 12.00 to 14.00 and for dinner from 19.00 to 21.00, so, you are free to eat whenever you like within this range of time. By the way you can also order extra food during the all day since that our kitchen is always on hand.
Concerning the internet connection we are very sorry that we have to charge a little fee, but we provide, in a desert remote island, a fast satellite connection, that is very expensive. Usually our guests are very happy to get and pay this kind of services.
For what concerns our ecofriendly politics, we definitely care about the environment, so we can guarantee that no one is allowed to drop the anchor on our house reef! The ropes that you see around our island are mooring lines that we just provided in order to preserve the reef and to help the marine life conservation, seeing that we are located in one of the most beautiful marine park all over the world. This is also the reason why we don’t agree to waste energy – intensive use of AC – and gasoline – use of speed boats – when it’s not strictly necessary. Anyway Komodo Resort owns 9 boats, very fast speed boats as well as slow big confortable wooden boats, so, our guests are always welcome to choose the option they prefer. Even though a bit far from the main harbour of Labuan Bajo, where you can find many different holiday’s solutions, we are luckily just in the middle of Komodo Archipelago, surrounded by the best diving and snorkeling spots, close to the komodo dragons’ sites, deeply in touch with the wild nature of this still untouched place. Our staff clean the beach from the trash brought by the sea every two days; of course if you are diving all day long you cannot be aware of this.
One more very important issue is about diving procedures. Of course we won’t ask guests to move tanks or to do other hard jobs instead of us. Our staff do it. If we heartily recommend our guests to set the equipment up and check it by themselves it’s just a matter of safety, as you could directly experience yourself. What happened to you is not nice, even if we’ve been able to manage it smoothly, and it would have been easy to prevent if you’d have tested the equipment rather than let someone else doing it for you. According to us awareness is one of the first features while diving, and hope that you could get its importance.
Personally, as one of the Italian owners of the Resort and being living in Indonesia over the last 20 years, I consider this place my home so I don’t feel I’ve got to go anywhere else.
About the t-shirt, we never experienced this problem even though we use them as daily uniforms every day. I’m afraid that you might fail your washing!

Been to Komodo Resort & Diving Club? Share your experiences!