Let me begin by saying that we did not stay at Round Hill during our recent trip to Jamaica. We stayed at a local house about 5 minutes away whose owner is a member of Round Hill. Those who rent the house have access to the club as part of their stay.
We found several members of the staff, particularly those responsible for distributing towels and lounge chairs on the beach, to be extremely unfriendly and cold from our first visit to Round Hill. Our warm greetings of “good morning” and our “thank you’s” went completely unanswered but it was obvious that they heard us. They seemed generally unhappy to be there and we felt as though they were punishing us. Their attitude and demeanor only worsened when we told them that we were not in fact staying at Round Hill but instead at a local house. It seemed as if they were lowering their service for us specifically.
Unfortunately, things got worse, not better. We tried to put one of our towels in the sand for our 2 year old to sit on and play with his toys, and one of the men simply yelled from his chair “No towels in the sand!”. He did not get up, come over and speak with us in a hospitable manner. He just yelled from several feet away where they were sitting. My wife later went to find two smaller chairs to put in the water for us to sit and read in. We left them briefly to go swimming, and as soon as we did, one of the staff members walked over and picked up one of the chairs and began walking back to where I had found it. We asked what he was doing and he said something about how we could not have more than one chair, all the while walking away. He did not speak to us directly, he just left. This seemed unbelievably rude, and further ridiculous considering the beach was nearly empty and there was no demand whatsoever for the smaller chairs. It was at this point that my wife went and sought out someone from management to speak with.
We expected the situation at this point to improve, but unfortunately it quickly worsened. Josef, the manager, did not seem remotely interested in addressing her concerns or correcting the attitudes of his staff. Instead, he told my wife that “maybe you should try being nicer” to the staff members. When she said that we were paying thousands of dollars and don’t expect to be treated like (expletive), Josef replied “we don’t use that language at this club”. Throughout our conversation he was completely condescending and dismissive, my wife was positive it was because she is a woman. She was in every way insulted by his sexist treatment.
I am not sure why my wife telling your manager that his staff was rude to us resulted in anything other than an apology and promise that their behavior will be corrected immediately. Instead, she was made to feel that my requests were out of line and ultimately worthless. It is not clear to me how Round Hill can be considered a best-in-class resort given the treatment my family experienced there. We certainly have no reason at this point to recommend it to our friends who are looking for a quality experience at a luxury resort. A retraining of the staff in the basic principles of customer service would go a long way.
Separately - Round Hill seems insanely expensive. A small rum punch at the beach bar is $10, plus $2.80 in tax/service charges. A 28% tax seems exorbitant to me, but we were not staying there and thus did not spend anywhere near as much as the guests who had no choice but to eat/drink there.
Pros - The resort itself is quite beautiful and clean, and the beach itself is gorgeous. The other guests there generally seemed happy so I don't know if our experience was an exception due to our not staying directly at the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Round Hill Hotel and Villas is situated on a lush 110-acre peninsula just west of Montego Bay, Jamaica. Boasting a guest list of world leaders, cultural icons and Hollywood A-listers, this classic resort continues to attract a jet-set from around the world who enjoy timeless glamour and understated luxury along with pristine natural beaches and the inimitable Caribbean waters. Accommodations include 36 Ralph Lauren-designed oceanfront guest rooms, 90 luxurious villa rooms and suites or a selection of 27 private 2 - 6 bedroom Villas – most with private pools. Other highlights include open-air terrace dining and The Grill at Round Hill, award-winning family programs, an infinity pool, tennis courts, and an Elemis spa located in a beautifully-restored 18th century plantation house. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Splendia, Priceline, Odigeo, MrandMrsSmith, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Round Hill Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Round Hill Hotel And Villas
- Round Hill Resort
- Round Hill Jamaica
- Round Hill Hotel & Villas Jamaica/Montego Bay