“Beautiful getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Hopewell
Moscow, Russia
“Beautiful getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed in villa 11 and my first impression was "Wow!" -- the cottage was very nice and cosy, we had a wonderful seaview, though the villa itself was hidden in vegetation which gave us all the privacy we needed.

The property is meticulously maintained. The stuff are very complaisant and always ready to help, we specificly adored our maids Jennifer, Euline and of course Blossom, who also cooked incredible omlettes. It was low season, so there were always plenty of sun beds available on the beach.

The thing that got us all ( we were a party of 5) a little upset was the menu. The catering was ok (though not great), but the menu was very short and we had to order the same dishes for ten days in a row. So by the end of the 1st week we all started to skip meals & lose weight (which, on the other side, is good).
The spa was a disappointment -- after all the great reviews I had read I expected something tremendous, but it turned out to be pretty average and btw in need of a little renovation in my opinion.
One more thing: my husband had his 30th anniversary during our stay and taking into consideration the fact that Round Hill is marketed as "long one of the most beautiful and elegant boutique resorts in the Caribbean" and all the staff seemed to know us by sight and we were one of the few guests they were having at the moment, the management somehow missed this "event". Of course it's a little thing but the impression you get from anything consists of those little thing and people tend to rate a service not only by meeting expectations but by exceeding them. So I think it would be great if the reception managers paid attention to dates of birth when guests check in and maybe sent greeting-cards or flowers on occasions like this.

Anyway our vacation was fabulous and I'm sure to recommend this resort to my friends.

Room Tip: villa 11 and 18 are incredible
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent vacation with us. We value your comments as it gives us an opportunity to serve our customers better. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed staying in cottage 11 with its spectacular view. I must apologize for the areas in which we fell short and did not live up to your expectations. I am sorry that we missed your husband's special event. Our Chef constantly reviews our menu offerings in an attempt to provide our guests with the freshest and tastiest meals, so we will review your comments and take corrective action to prevent any repetition. We hope that you will stay with us when your travel plans bring you back to Jamaica.

731 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Absolutely loved every minute of it. I went for a wedding but would definitely return again. Priceless views of the ocean, wonderful staff including bartenders. Even though it was not all inclusive it was worth the $$$.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for coming to Round Hill to participate in the wedding of family/friends. We are delighted that you had a great time and look forward to your return visit in the near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I don't really want to write a review for Round Hill.

Despite the unquestionable democracy and helpfulness of Trip Advisor I really want to keep Round Hill a secret all to myself.

So all I'm going to say is that we had a fabulous time here and it is the best resort/hotel complex that I have ever stayed at in my life.

Faultless.

Dear Values Guest,

It was such a pleasure meeting you and your lovely wife. I thoroughly enjoyed our chats and am happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with us. We hope that you will share the secret to some of your close friends as we look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Round hill is simply beautiful. Our villa was in a jungle setting with fabulous views of the ocean. Breakfast on our terrace was cooked to order by the lovely staff. Everyone at Round Hill is very nice and accommodating. We've had some "tropical" insects and mosquitos in our room, but the hotel provides for coils and mosquito netting, and you really are in the jungle! BBQ on the beach is not to be missed but the dinning room dinner is just okay. The overall experience at Round Hill is fabulous and really special.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your comments on your recent vacation. We are happy to know that your enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be accommodating and friendly. As it is the rainy season, we fog the property more often to eliminate mosquitos and other bugs. Thanks once again for staying with us. All of us look forward to welcoming you back.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We recently returned from our 2nd stay at Hillside Villa @ Round Hill. We always choose a villa that has a membership at Round Hill because we love spending time there and staying on property is even better!! The staff at Hillside and Round Hill are fabulous, the views & food are unbeatable and the combination makes Jamaica our favorite travel spot!! We have been 15+ times and always stay in a villa and we always book through Linda Smith www.jamaicavillas.com, again impeccable service & they never disappoint!! I highly recommend the villa vacation & Round Hill for a Jamaican vacation you will LOVE!!!

Room Tip: we have not stayed in the hotel rooms at Round Hill but I feel confident that are very nice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Past Guest,

Thanks for your wonderful comments and for choosing Round Hill for a second visit. It is so good to receive such wonderful comments especially from our loyal past guests. .Thanks also for the wonderful recommendation. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

There are few places in the world where tradition merges seamlessly with modern style and luxury, but Round Hill is one such special place. The superb staff and management make this fusion seem effortless, but clearly the amount of dedication and hard work needed to make Round Hill such a unique experience must be enormous. Virtually nothing is overlooked, although no one hovers or intrudes upon your enjoyment of the truly breathtaking setting. This is a place to unwind -- and in an almost literal sense, as you can feel the tensions and cares of your "other" life lose their grip on your psyche, minute by minute and hour by hour, during your stay at Round Hill. The only dark cloud on the horizon, you may come to feel, is the date and time of your return flight. One understands why the likes of Noel Coward and the Kennedys found Round Hill to be the perfect respite.

Now for some specifics. We stayed in a villa, and it was decorated beautifully with most of the living space open-air; the small staff was incredibly gracious and attentive and served us a wonderful breakfast each morning by the pool. We used the spa one day, and the service was impeccable and the facilities excellent (including the numerous spots to lounge on the lan that rolls down to the sea from the Spa itself). The beach, ininity pool, and water sports were also fabulous. Afternoon tea and meals at the Grill were top-notch, as were drinks at the beach bar and in the Bar. When we asked to look at some of the other villas (since we WILL be going back, and wanted to know what options were available), Kingsley, the concierge, whisked us around to see a number of other villas, each more sumptuous than the last. So I can say with some confidence that our impression of Round Hill was not unduly influenced by the beauty of the one villa in which we stayed.

All in all, unless your tastes run to mega-resorts with 15 mediocre restaurants and lazy river pools and waterslides, it would be hard to even imegine a more perfect Caribbean resort -- one that is steeped in history but treats even its newest guests, like us, as if they were heads of state.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations and was able to provide the perfect respite for you. The charm of the resort complimented by the personalized service and attention by the staff is what sets us apart. We look forward to your return visit to enjoy Round Hill one more time.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I recently got married at Round Hill! I will start this review by saying that if you are looking to have a destination wedding, Round Hill is a fantastic option! Scroll down a bit for some more wedding-specific information.

We had 15 total in our group, with our guests staying throughout the resort. As a result, I got to see a little bit of every type of room. Also, keep in mind that this is not your typical all-inclusive party all day and night type of resort - it is very quiet, serene even (and technically not all-inclusive); so if you're looking to be served shots at a swim up bar, look elsewhere!

First: the villas. My wife and I were in cottage 1, I think the room was 22A. This room encompasses the entire second floor of this particular villa. This includes a large wraparound balcony with some patio furniture that is a great place to relax and enjoy the private area that the villa includes. The landscaping here and throughout the resort is incredibly impressive - you are basically in the middle of the jungle, but it is so well manicured that it is quite luxurious rather than adventurous. There is even some decorative uplighting that really highlights the surrounding flora at night. The room is very nicely decorated, and the bathroom really stands out in this respect. The rooms are set up to be extremely open air, which can be nice, though obviously hot! There are three quiet air conditioners in the room that work quite well if you wish to shudder the room and cool it down (an absolute necessity for me to get some sleep). There is also a large shared living area on the first floor as well as a full kitchen, and a shared (though small) private pool. The maids will cook you breakfast in your own kitchen each morning if you wish that includes lots of fresh fruit (though be forewarned that this will incur an upcharge if you don't have a meal plan). Even though some of this area is shared, it is still quite private and we were never disturbed by our downstairs neighbors.

My only complaint about our villa is that the plumbing was barely functional. There were a few times where water just plain would not come out of any faucet in the entire building. Thankfully the timing of these issues were never a huge problem, as it could have been a disaster had I not been able to shower before our various wedding related activities! We complained about the plumbing several different times, but this felt like a problem that was much bigger than taking just a few hours of tinkering to fix. We discussed this with our guests and none of them were experiencing similar problems, so this may be limited to a small area of the resort.

One of the families that was in our group stayed in another villa, I think it was cottage 22, though I may be conflating that with the above room number. This was a single story, three bedroom villa with a much larger private pool. It was fantastic for hosting mini pool parties after dinner each night with our guests, and allowed the kids in the group to let loose a bit without disturbing the other occupants of the resort enjoying the public infinity pool. The furniture and decor of this villa wasn't quite as nice as the one my wife and I stayed in, however I think it would be a fine tradeoff for the larger pool and additional privacy.

I saw several of the hotel rooms, and while they were nice, there wasn't really anything that stood out to me. Some of them on the first floor feel a bit small given the much lower ceilings. If you can afford it, definitely go with a villa based room, as I believe that will give you the true Round Hill experience!

Next, the food. We were a bit concerned heading into the trip about the quality of the food based on our previous trip to another resort near Montego Bay (see my review of Secrets St. James for details). We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of food and the quality of the service staff at the resort restaurant. But that last sentence shows one downside to the food offerings at Round Hill, the singular restaurant - if you stay here for a week like my wife and I did, the available menu will get a tad old. They have a couple of special event nights throughout the week that will give you a slightly different look for the cuisine, but I found myself wanting to try something different by the end of our stay. The food is also pretty pricey, so be prepared for that; the meal plans are priced such that it would be awfully close to maybe being worth it, however we went without the meal plans and I believe we came out ahead as a result. On our last night we had a driver take a group of us to a nearby local restaurant that was priced much more reasonably and was quite delicious as well, so definitely give this a try!

There are several activities available at the water sports area which we utilized with the kids in our group several times. You can get snorkeling equipment for free, and while it isn't the greatest reef for snorkeling it is pretty hard to beat having it at no extra cost! We also did a banana boat ride around the small bay in which Round Hill sits, which was a pretty good time and fairly reasonably priced. There are many more activities available that we did not use including a glass bottom boat that is free every morning if you get there at the right time.

Now, onto the wedding details. Our wedding planner was Racquel, and she did a fantastic job! Her suggestions were great and she had everything planned and scheduled for us to near perfection. The only hitch we had was with the flowers, but that was due to a mistake by the florist, and our bill had a large discount as a result.

We had a private rehearsal dinner on the beach that featured an open bar for our guests; the food was served family style and was absolutely fabulous. I think we even utilized the open bar a little past our scheduled time and they were not at all concerned about it.

The wedding ceremony itself was lovely, and luckily the rain stayed away - though I was definitely cooking in my suit under the strong Jamaican sun! Our officiant did a fine job and the resort staff did a decent job of keeping bystanders in swim trunks separate from our semi formal event. I might have chosen a different wedding site if the pictures were different (we did the infinity pool) - the site down by the spa area looks much nicer in person than it does in the pictures we were provided!

We had a really great time at our reception. They cleared out a large area of the restaurant for us and we had basically total privacy (I was quite surprised by this). Our table was very nicely decorated and there were large lanterns hung throughout the trees. The food was good (though not quite as good as our rehearsal dinner) and the service, as was the case throughout our stay, was top notch. The band that Racquel recommended was perfect (the lead man is Chokey Taylor, here is his website: http://www.reggaefemi.com/).

Given our experience, I'd say that if you're looking to have a wedding in Jamaica, Round Hill is THE place to do so!

Room Tip: Stay in a villa! Though pricey, this is the only way to truly experience Round Hill to its potential...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us for your wedding. We are happy to know that despite a small problem with the plumbing, you enjoyed your stay with us. We provide the prefect environment for a destination wedding regardless of the size of the group. we thank you for your recommendation as the perfect place for a destination wedding. We wish you all the very best in your new life together. Please come back and visit us for many anniversaries to come.

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!