“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Hopewell
New York City, New York
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

There are few places in the world where tradition merges seamlessly with modern style and luxury, but Round Hill is one such special place. The superb staff and management make this fusion seem effortless, but clearly the amount of dedication and hard work needed to make Round Hill such a unique experience must be enormous. Virtually nothing is overlooked, although no one hovers or intrudes upon your enjoyment of the truly breathtaking setting. This is a place to unwind -- and in an almost literal sense, as you can feel the tensions and cares of your "other" life lose their grip on your psyche, minute by minute and hour by hour, during your stay at Round Hill. The only dark cloud on the horizon, you may come to feel, is the date and time of your return flight. One understands why the likes of Noel Coward and the Kennedys found Round Hill to be the perfect respite.

Now for some specifics. We stayed in a villa, and it was decorated beautifully with most of the living space open-air; the small staff was incredibly gracious and attentive and served us a wonderful breakfast each morning by the pool. We used the spa one day, and the service was impeccable and the facilities excellent (including the numerous spots to lounge on the lan that rolls down to the sea from the Spa itself). The beach, ininity pool, and water sports were also fabulous. Afternoon tea and meals at the Grill were top-notch, as were drinks at the beach bar and in the Bar. When we asked to look at some of the other villas (since we WILL be going back, and wanted to know what options were available), Kingsley, the concierge, whisked us around to see a number of other villas, each more sumptuous than the last. So I can say with some confidence that our impression of Round Hill was not unduly influenced by the beauty of the one villa in which we stayed.

All in all, unless your tastes run to mega-resorts with 15 mediocre restaurants and lazy river pools and waterslides, it would be hard to even imegine a more perfect Caribbean resort -- one that is steeped in history but treats even its newest guests, like us, as if they were heads of state.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations and was able to provide the perfect respite for you. The charm of the resort complimented by the personalized service and attention by the staff is what sets us apart. We look forward to your return visit to enjoy Round Hill one more time.

739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I recently got married at Round Hill! I will start this review by saying that if you are looking to have a destination wedding, Round Hill is a fantastic option! Scroll down a bit for some more wedding-specific information.

We had 15 total in our group, with our guests staying throughout the resort. As a result, I got to see a little bit of every type of room. Also, keep in mind that this is not your typical all-inclusive party all day and night type of resort - it is very quiet, serene even (and technically not all-inclusive); so if you're looking to be served shots at a swim up bar, look elsewhere!

First: the villas. My wife and I were in cottage 1, I think the room was 22A. This room encompasses the entire second floor of this particular villa. This includes a large wraparound balcony with some patio furniture that is a great place to relax and enjoy the private area that the villa includes. The landscaping here and throughout the resort is incredibly impressive - you are basically in the middle of the jungle, but it is so well manicured that it is quite luxurious rather than adventurous. There is even some decorative uplighting that really highlights the surrounding flora at night. The room is very nicely decorated, and the bathroom really stands out in this respect. The rooms are set up to be extremely open air, which can be nice, though obviously hot! There are three quiet air conditioners in the room that work quite well if you wish to shudder the room and cool it down (an absolute necessity for me to get some sleep). There is also a large shared living area on the first floor as well as a full kitchen, and a shared (though small) private pool. The maids will cook you breakfast in your own kitchen each morning if you wish that includes lots of fresh fruit (though be forewarned that this will incur an upcharge if you don't have a meal plan). Even though some of this area is shared, it is still quite private and we were never disturbed by our downstairs neighbors.

My only complaint about our villa is that the plumbing was barely functional. There were a few times where water just plain would not come out of any faucet in the entire building. Thankfully the timing of these issues were never a huge problem, as it could have been a disaster had I not been able to shower before our various wedding related activities! We complained about the plumbing several different times, but this felt like a problem that was much bigger than taking just a few hours of tinkering to fix. We discussed this with our guests and none of them were experiencing similar problems, so this may be limited to a small area of the resort.

One of the families that was in our group stayed in another villa, I think it was cottage 22, though I may be conflating that with the above room number. This was a single story, three bedroom villa with a much larger private pool. It was fantastic for hosting mini pool parties after dinner each night with our guests, and allowed the kids in the group to let loose a bit without disturbing the other occupants of the resort enjoying the public infinity pool. The furniture and decor of this villa wasn't quite as nice as the one my wife and I stayed in, however I think it would be a fine tradeoff for the larger pool and additional privacy.

I saw several of the hotel rooms, and while they were nice, there wasn't really anything that stood out to me. Some of them on the first floor feel a bit small given the much lower ceilings. If you can afford it, definitely go with a villa based room, as I believe that will give you the true Round Hill experience!

Next, the food. We were a bit concerned heading into the trip about the quality of the food based on our previous trip to another resort near Montego Bay (see my review of Secrets St. James for details). We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of food and the quality of the service staff at the resort restaurant. But that last sentence shows one downside to the food offerings at Round Hill, the singular restaurant - if you stay here for a week like my wife and I did, the available menu will get a tad old. They have a couple of special event nights throughout the week that will give you a slightly different look for the cuisine, but I found myself wanting to try something different by the end of our stay. The food is also pretty pricey, so be prepared for that; the meal plans are priced such that it would be awfully close to maybe being worth it, however we went without the meal plans and I believe we came out ahead as a result. On our last night we had a driver take a group of us to a nearby local restaurant that was priced much more reasonably and was quite delicious as well, so definitely give this a try!

There are several activities available at the water sports area which we utilized with the kids in our group several times. You can get snorkeling equipment for free, and while it isn't the greatest reef for snorkeling it is pretty hard to beat having it at no extra cost! We also did a banana boat ride around the small bay in which Round Hill sits, which was a pretty good time and fairly reasonably priced. There are many more activities available that we did not use including a glass bottom boat that is free every morning if you get there at the right time.

Now, onto the wedding details. Our wedding planner was Racquel, and she did a fantastic job! Her suggestions were great and she had everything planned and scheduled for us to near perfection. The only hitch we had was with the flowers, but that was due to a mistake by the florist, and our bill had a large discount as a result.

We had a private rehearsal dinner on the beach that featured an open bar for our guests; the food was served family style and was absolutely fabulous. I think we even utilized the open bar a little past our scheduled time and they were not at all concerned about it.

The wedding ceremony itself was lovely, and luckily the rain stayed away - though I was definitely cooking in my suit under the strong Jamaican sun! Our officiant did a fine job and the resort staff did a decent job of keeping bystanders in swim trunks separate from our semi formal event. I might have chosen a different wedding site if the pictures were different (we did the infinity pool) - the site down by the spa area looks much nicer in person than it does in the pictures we were provided!

We had a really great time at our reception. They cleared out a large area of the restaurant for us and we had basically total privacy (I was quite surprised by this). Our table was very nicely decorated and there were large lanterns hung throughout the trees. The food was good (though not quite as good as our rehearsal dinner) and the service, as was the case throughout our stay, was top notch. The band that Racquel recommended was perfect (the lead man is Chokey Taylor, here is his website: http://www.reggaefemi.com/).

Given our experience, I'd say that if you're looking to have a wedding in Jamaica, Round Hill is THE place to do so!

Room Tip: Stay in a villa! Though pricey, this is the only way to truly experience Round Hill to its potential...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us for your wedding. We are happy to know that despite a small problem with the plumbing, you enjoyed your stay with us. We provide the prefect environment for a destination wedding regardless of the size of the group. we thank you for your recommendation as the perfect place for a destination wedding. We wish you all the very best in your new life together. Please come back and visit us for many anniversaries to come.
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

If you want to vacation like a celebrity, just stay in one of the villas at Round Hill. We stayed in Villa 23, which is a 3 bedroom villa with a private pool, an enormous outdoor living space, and a staff of 3 people there to meet your every need. Want a personal cook, a housekeeper who will also drive you anywhere you want to go, and a gardener who works your plot of land all day cutting the grass with a pair of hand clippers? Then this is your kind of place. We had 2 people cooking and serving breakfast every morning by our pool. I have stayed at luxury properties around the US, and nothing can compare to the amount of space, the private pool, and the level of attentiveness of the staff. Junior, Winnifred, Angie and Dwight were exceptionally attentive and met our every need, and Lincoln's landscaping was outstanding. Our total space available for our own use was about 1,500 square feet, which is almost unheard of. We cannot wait to come back to Round Hill.
Don't get a car, the roads are bad, directions and signs are worse. Have someone take you, and the drivers at Round Hill will stay with you the entire time you are away, they don't leave you anywhere.

Room Tip: Villa 23 was fantastic, and pretty close to the hotel lobby and beach so it was easy to get to.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful comments on your recent stay with us in cottage 23. The personalized and attentive service given by the cottage staff is part of what makes Round Hill special. We are delighted to know that we surpassed your expectations and that we compare highly with other luxury resorts in the US. Again, thanks for fantastic review...all of us look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay.
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have traveled and stayed all over Jamaica in the last four years. Recently we had the opportunity to stay in one of the villas at Round Hill for several days. It was a casual elegance I have not experienced here or elsewhere all the way from the merging of the mountain with the ocean to the well manicured grounds. The staff was second to none. They exhibited the true of the warm and friendly Jamaican culture. Everyone down to the basket weaver treated you as if they were the owners and deeply valued you being there. The meals and desserts were outstanding as well. If you want to experience something much greater and satisfying than the mass tourist centered hotels this is the place. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: If you can stay in Villa 22A would be wonderful. The Villa itself is lovely, it's own pool and t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your villa experience with us. Our cottages provide all the privacy that guests need in a wonderful hotel setting. The housekeepers personalize the service and make each experience a memorable one. We look forward to your return visit in the future.
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was the first time that I have been to Round Hill or for that matter to Jamaica, a Friend (Larry Pritchard )had insisted in going there for a long weekend since he has been going there for many years with his parents. I was not very happy with that choice since I am not one to go to resorts, I was pleasantly surprise in the quality of service and attention to details that ALL the staff gave us, it was incredible that by the second day they all knew our names and our likes and dislikes, I love how attentive they all are. amazing food, the choices are incredible. our rooms were impeccably clean and suited all our needs, special thanks to Kingsley, Loise, Jaqueline, Delano, they made my stay at Round Hill more Incredible, be sure I will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing Round Hill on the recommendation of your friend. We are happy to know that we lived up to your expectations in light of the fact that you do not like resorts. It is such a pleasure to receive such wonderful feedback and that you will want to return to stay with us again. All of us look forward to your return visit.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Round Hill staff are very friendly and provided a warm welcome to Jamaica. The Rum Punch welcome drink and complimentary coffee were appreciated. We stayed in a Deluxe Villa Suite - the first night there was one other suite rented out of 5 in the villa, and after that, none. The staff let us tour the other suites but the common areas in the villa were free to roam. It was beautiful, set atop a hill with a nice view of the cove. Skirted by mountains, the cove is exclusive to Round Hill guests and there is also ample property to roam, a spa, an infinity pool, and complimentary water sports and glass bottom boat rides. Beautiful people abound, and the place really does look as good as in the pictures. We did not do all inclusive, but one night of dinner at their restaurant (the Barefoot Beach BBQ) had me thinking we should have- delicious and expensive, but a lot of food. We had breakfast prepared in our private villa for a reasonable price. There is no trouble getting a recommendation for a great eatery from just about anyone you encounter, and the staff will be sure to make sure you have a ride. This resort is about 25 minutes from the Hip Strip in Montego Bay.

Room Tip: Book a standard room, then ask about upgrading into a villa when you check in - the price will not b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our villas, all of which are private and offer a completely different look and feel enhanced by the wonderful personalities of the cottage staff. The breakfasts prepared by them is a special treat and guests enjoy savouring Jamaican blue mountain coffee overlooking the beautiful bay. The beach barbecue is one of our special themed nights which guests thoroughly enjoy. We would love to have you stay with us again and explore some of our other villas.
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

It has been 42 years since I stayed in Jamaica and tourist were not welcome in 1971. That has changed and tourist are now welcome. Round Hill has been around 50 years and if you want a classic Jamaican stay, this is the place for you. The food is OK but not great. Try the snapper in parchment paper with organic veggies which was excellent. There are a lot of stairs so it is not for people with any disability. We were in Villa 22. The six of us were from Manhattan and Texas and ranged in age from 3-70. Two lovely women, Jennifer and Veroma who have 8 children and 4 grandchildren between them, cooked our breakfast and cleaned our rooms. Two nice and pleasant ladies that will make your stay a treat. The airport is a $40 twenty minute ride. Tryall Golf course is 15 minutes away and a very good course. YO MON! Come back to Jamaica. I will not wait 42 years this time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing Round Hill for your Jamaican vacation after a 42 year visit to our island. We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Our villa experience provides you with personalized service in an island setting. The housekeepers take lots of pride in their work and enjoy serving you their specialities for breakfast. We hope that you will choose Round Hill the next time you visit Jamaica. All of us look forward to your return visit.

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!