“Best quality room of our trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Biergarten Hostel

You added Biergarten Hostel to your Saves list
Biergarten Hostel
Av. Getulio Vargas 161, Vila do Abraao, Ilha Grande, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Best quality room of our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

A great hostel for exploring and relaxing on Ilha Grande - with the most comfortable double room we had out of 5 hostels throughout Brazil. The breakfast offered was delicious with freshly boiled eggs every morning (quite the delicacy on hostel stays). Although the hostel is not located on the sea front, this is hardly a bother in the little village of Vila do Abraao.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed here with my best friend and our Carioca friend from Rio who we were travelling with. We arrived as it was pouring rain and walking from the ferry port to the hostel was very wet! Make sure to bring a poncho to Ilha Grande! We settled into our triple room on the top floor of the hostel. The triple room was clean and the beds were comfortable single beds. Towels provided, lockers were great to have. The hostel was full and there was a very communal atmosphere. There is a kitchenette if you prefer to make your own food and we used the large fridge in the kitchen to keep our drinks cold. The hostel is very laid back and has a bohemian feel. Showers and bathrooms are shared (be patient if you have to wait and the toilets clog frequently) - water pressure is not good. Breakfast was great - the restaurant also serves lunch and dinner by weight (kilo) and the bar area can be a bit noisy at night (never bothered us as we came home late). Air conditioning was perfect and the location is great! We loved this place, you can tell its new and very well-run. After we checked out, we were still planning to go on a day-long boat tour before we left that night and they let us store our luggage AND take showers before we caught the boat back to Angra. Very nice!! The staff is young and so friendly, approachable and we were very impressed by the cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our 5 night stay at this hostel. Convenient location with nice beds and air conditioning. The owner Victor was very friendly and made time to help us book our bus tickets to São Paulo, which we really appreciated. The other staff were also really lovely. Only downside is that the kitchen could have been a little bit more equipped, and it was a bit noisy at times with the bar / restaurant, which closes around 10pm so wasn't really an issue for sleeping anyway. We appreciated the convenience of the filtered water for all the hiking we were doing! :)

• Stayed March 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed here for 4 days while on Ilha Grande. There is a cool bar and 'por kilo' restaurant serving both guests and public out front.

There are dorms overlooking the bar area (rarely noisy) and newer dorms out the back around a semi covered courtyard area. there are also cooking facilities in the covered part of the courtyard.

The first thing that struck us in the dorms was how clean they were - all beds made, even daily during our stay. The bathrooms were also kept extremely clean throughout the day. Victor, the owner, is a really nice guy and very welcoming.

The atmosphere is very communal and friendly and rarely noisy. It's a little more expensive than some of the other hostels but it was definitely worth it.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Clean, bright and good rooms. I stayed for two nights in the 3 bed room upstairs with normal beds (no bunk beds to be clear :) Highly recommend investing this little money more! Very comfortable beds with good mattresses. Lockers in the room!

The hostel has a very relaxed atmosphere and a welcoming attitude by all of its friendly and helpful staff! The owner gave me really good advice on which trails/beaches to do at best what days given my time. Very notable is their cool handling of last minute cancellations despite hostelworld booking (I called the same day in the afternoon as I would not make it to the island because of traffic meltdown in Rio de Janeiro). And Kristina, the Argentinian woman, was always up for a nice chat during her shifts and told me about some party/bars.

I easily met other fun travellers downstairs at the breakfast/dining area. Breakfast was the best included one I had during my 10 weeks trip through various hostels with ham, cheese, eggs, jam, fruit, cereals, coffee, tea, cake & biscuits.

There is a buffet restaurant directly in front and belonging to the hostel - good price value! I did not use the kitchen but it looked well equipped and clean like the whole hostel. Sanitary rooms were sufficient, well funcional design and very clean.

Overall I had a great time at the Biergarten Hostel and I definitely recommend staying there!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

This is a long overdue review, I stayed at the Biergarten Hostel back in August 2012 in the 8 bed dorm I think it was, and it was really really nice. The hostel is small/boutique, but the owner was awesome and made you feel completely at home. We did not want to leave! It was very clean, and in a great location. The breakfast was delicious. I would definitely stay at this place again if we ever return!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in a number of hostels throughout Europe and South America, and the Biergarten may be the best I've stayed in. It feels less like a busy, claustrophobic hostel and more like a tropical refuge. The owners are lovely and helpful, and the hostel was really clean. The rooms are airy and clean (plus they have air-con) and the communal spaces are really unique; they even have hammocks! Also part of the hostel is an equally recommended bar and buffet restaurant, open to guests and non-guests alike (guests get a small discount). In any case, I would highly recommend Biergarten, and feel so lucky I was able to get a bed there, as it really made my Ilha Grande visit feel all the more special. In short, highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Biergarten Hostel? Share your experiences!