“Perhaps the most varied menu in the area and simply amazing food.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Simply Judes Brasserie

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Perhaps the most varied menu in the area and simply amazing food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We called in her around 5.00pm and asked if we could book a table for later for six people. The lady we spoke with was very welcoming and very friendly and asked if we could aim for 7.45 rather than 7.30 and she could certainly accommodate us. When we arrived, the place was busy but we were shown straight to our table. First thing we noticed is the very varied menu...steaks, seafood, noodle dishes, Indian food and more. We were then a little concerned that some if this might nit be up to scratch with such a variety but we need not have worried. I had Indian, my wife had chicken and the other people we were with had something different again. All of it was hot, tasty, well presented and in decent portions. Really impressed and will go back again next year. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere and an unhurried, very pleasant dining experience.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“lovely building”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I booked over the internet for Sunday roast and got a generic reply saying that they would contact us.
Although I hadn't had any further contact we turned up at the time we had requested.
We were able to choose our table. The place lacked atmosphere with only 2 other tables inside and 1 outside having customers. We were the youngest there (late 50s/early 60s) but the music was not age appropriate although inoffensive.
The décor and spaciousness is lovely.
The waitress was very pleasant but, because she was on her own and busy, had to be reminded of our requests (e.g. jug of water and clean cruet).
We noticed that the drinks menu and the cruet set on our table were splattered with dried on food- rather off putting and the unused highchair near to our table was dirty- would not put any of my grandchildren in it.
The food was ok.
My husband had the duck pate (not homemade and the white toast was just thin sliced shop bought bread rather than rustic The presentation of the veg on a small dinner plate is different, the veg portions were adequate for us but rather small for someone with a healthy appetite. The roast potatoes were good. The meat, although a cheap cut was tender and flavoursome, in large quantity on the plate (should have asked for a small portion) and my husband had the added 'bonus' of a piece of the string- he didn't want that extra.
We didn't try the desserts.
Hopefully the asian cuisine is more successful than the roast we had today. Shame as we live locally and with the decor would have loved to have made this a regular visit.
Please note that this may not be the place to eat if you have a food allergy- although the waitress checked with the kitchen as to what my lactose intolerant could eat he was still given 2 pats of butter- an oversight but easily noticed.
I hope that these are just teething problems.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Visited here when I was camping and a group of 10 went there for a meal and none of us could fault the food or service. The waiter was really friendly and the food was very tasty and a good selection. I would definitely recommend it to others.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely service and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We popped in here by chance after a lovely day at Heligan, the restaurant is lovely and well spaced out so your are afforded your privacy. The serves was excellent the two staff members we very attentive and ensured we had everything we needed.

We had the duck and pancakes to start with between us which was lovely and unlike most restaurants they gave plenty of sauce, spring onions and cucumbers for all the pancakes lovely. Then my husband had the crab and prawn fishcakes which were lovely and fresh, his only comment would be that a bit more fish would have made them excellent. I however had the muscles in the garlic and white wine sauce, they were superb large fresh and tasty and the sauce was a meal in itself. We then umped and aaahed for the deserts and finally submitted he went for the bread and butter pudding which was lovely and I went for the chocolate and hazelnut pancakes which I could not do justice to after the lovely meal - too much chocolate would recommend this restaurant

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“With the variety of food at this place, I'd have to come about three more times to give a verdict.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

For many years this place had been the Schoolhouse Resteraunt, with a simple small choice of starters and mains all served near to perfection.

Under new ownership with a wide variety of Indian, Thai, Chinese and English dishes I did not what to expect.

My starter was a pile of prawn, avocado and crab, quite generous in size and taste fresh enough. Other members of my party tried scallops in butter and mussles in a wine sause, all looked pretty good.

For the main I tried the scampi, not feeling to adventurous. The chips were impressive, with a thick crusty coating, a but like the Heston Blumenthal recipe. But unfortunately they weren't that warm, and the scampi taste like it was grilled and not deep fried. I get the impression it had been waiting in the kitchen for 15 minutes while the chef cooked for the other members of my party who all had fillet steaks. I suppose that's better than sacrificing three fillet steaks to get the scampi warm.

I'll give it a three star rather than two because everyone else in my party seemed happier with the food than me.

• Visited May 2014