“this place is a hidden jewel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bantul
Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows
You added Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows to your Saves list
Jl. Parangtritis Yogyakarta,, Bantul, Yogyakarta 55186, Indonesia   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #1 of 8 Bantul B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“this place is a hidden jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I choose this place mainly because of top reviews and nice pictures of the property, so I had high expectation, and it was a delight to find that this place and its wonderful people manage to far exceed my already built in high expectations.

I stayed here three nights and this place is so wonderful and so extraordinary I enjoyed every minute of it. On top of that there are amazing staff who are always there to help you and make your stay a wonderful stay.

My Bungalow (No. 1) was superbly build and located on the side of a endless rice field. The Bungalow is beautifully build in traditional rustic Java style village houses, but then infused with ultra modern facilities and comfort. So perfectly blended and complimenting each other. Their is a front porch and table and chairs to have your Lunch/Dinner/Breakfast while having a nice view of the village, then you can use the building built in walkway to go to the back of Bungalow have have your tea/coffee and relaxation in front of a huge rice field and green hills and far distance. The breakfast was by far the best breakfast I had in Indonesia. You can order Lunch and Dinner to be prepared and be served at your Bungalow at very reasonable prices. The shower are is open concept and it was a delight to use it every day. I think it made me take more shower than normal. The hot water is hot and the water pressure good. During our stay it rained and not a drop of rain any where in our room or surrounding seating are.

If you looking to a romantic place, or like to feel the rustic living of Indonesian without giving up any of your western comfort, you are not going to find a second to this place. But even it you like to still got to city and do city stuff, this place is only 15 minutes ride from city center, so you still fine.

I normally have something negative to say about any place, even the ones I give 5 star, but for this place I can't find anything negative say, since it really was perfect and I immensely enjoyed my stay, which word can not describe and it must only be experienced.

If I ever go back to Yogyakarta, without a doubt this would be my place of stay, if I can find vacancy :).

Room Tip: Bungalow No.1 is far better located and has a walkway around it. So, I would only stay on No. 1.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
bigyabbie, Manager at Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Wow, what can we say...
Thanks for the fantastic review.
We really do try hard to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay
Its very reassuring that this appears to be working.
To be honest reviews like this are almost intimidating.
We are still new and hope to keep improving.
Again I thankyou for your kind comments
And am so pleased you enjoyed our place
And that the staff, food, facilities were all to your liking.
The perfect guest
We look forward to your next visit

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
Constanta, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Besides the amazingly lovely set-up itself (carefully crafted boutique bungalows right next to the rice paddies, yada yada), this place's value doubles by the people that are usually around.

If you're lucky enough to catch Dave, do your best to take some of his time, he's definitely among the best (if not THE best) people one could ask for travel tips (and stories!) on Yogyakarta & around.

You might find out, as I have, Dave just happens to be an expert in sustainable building, with a focus on bamboo and wood and that explains it a bit :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
bigyabbie, Manager at Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thanks for the great review !

Yet again it was a pleasure to host such lovely guests
and I'm so glad to see that everything was up to your expectations.
I must say though that it's not really me that makes Yabbiekayu so nice
but rather the magnificent staff, Bakti, Teguh, Ibu Narsih and others.

Hope to see you back here again, perhaps when the third bungalow is finished in a few months
Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our stay at Yabbiekayu was truly delightful. The staff really made us feel at home - they were so gracious. The various ecologically considerate building techniques that went into designing and building the lovely bungalow that we stayed in were fascinating, and even though we arrived in the middle of a big storm, our lovely place out in the rice fields was warm and dry and we slept wonderfully. The area around Yabbiekayu is filled with lovely smiling people, great walks and the Tembi Cultural Center, a must see just 5 minutes walk through the rice fields. We certainly recommend this jewel of a spot.

Room Tip: All options are fabulous
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

bigyabbie, General Manager at Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thanks PetraIdep for your generous review
It was a total pleasure to have you here and to share our little village with you.
Tembi really is a magical spot and being tucked away amongst the ricefields offers a special retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city

I love it when guests appreciate the effort we have gone to, to ensure that the bungalows are both ecologically and culturally appropriate, whilst also making them secure, comfortable and relaxing.

Please come again soon and experience the improvements as we expand over this coming year
Lisbon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Yabbiekayu is the perfect place to escape from the crowded Yogyakarta. Just 15 minutes away from the city centre you have this small oasis surrounded by paddy fields in a real javanese kampung. The bungalows are just great, traditional javanese style with beautiful open air bathrooms. The staff couldn´t be more helpful and friendly. The rooms are really clean and stylish with all the facilities you could need. I loved the calmness and peaceful nature of the surroundings and walking around the neighbourhood. We could also rent a motorbike to explore the city and Dave, the owner, is always willing to help in any matter you could need. My stay there was just unforgettable!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

To help someone have an "unforgettable" holiday really is our goal
I'm so glad to hear that we managed to achieve this :)
We really do try hard to offer people an escape from the hustle and bustle. a refuge in the crowded island of Java. Our aim is to provide an authentic village lifestyle but with 5 star facilities and personalised one on one service.

Thanks for your beautiful review and please do drop back again
as we have lots of improvement and expansion plans over the coming year
and look forward to sharing them with you.

The perfect guests
Thanks again
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My partner and I spent 5 days at Yabbiekayu. We happened to stumble upon this really beautiful property on AirBNB and I personally fell in love with the design and interior of the bungalow while browsing through the pictures. The pictures don't do the actual property real justice cause the experience of staying there was out of this world. The room was spacious and with all the windows opened, you get pampered with soft breezes. The open-air bathroom with the bathtub (at bungalow 1) was something that I enjoyed every morning. The surroundings were very natural with paddy fields and chickens and goats that captures the "kampung" spirit of Yogyakarta.
The Yabbiekayu team are made up of very kind people that are always ready to help us with our transportation, meals and trips. The whole trip felt very very fancy because of their prompt and personal attention.
The property is about 30 minutes away from the town center and airport but there are many small eateries and shops that are accessible by foot. My partner was comfortable enough to ride a motorbike, so we rented one from Yabbiekayu and ventured into town safely to visit some of the cultural sites and for food too.
I would definitely recommend this property if you are looking for a place to relax in your space and time without forgoing the usual touristy activities of visiting Yogyakarta's famous temples and sites.

Room Tip: We stayed at Bungalow 1 and loved the bathtub in the open-air bathroom and watching the beautiful pa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your beautiful review
It really was delightful having you come and stay
I'm really glad that you enjoyed the service you received from our dedicated staff.
I apologise if all was not yet perfect as we are relatively new
We look forward to your next visit and hope you will enjoy the changes and improvements we are planning over this year
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at YabbieKayu before it officially opened last year, and Dave (the owner) asked me to contribute a belated review which I'm more than happy to do.

I ended up staying several weeks while the construction of the new bungalows was still underway. I quickly became part of the Indonesian/expat 'family' that surrounds Dave and the small NGO he runs in Tembi. I was included in meals and activities and gained invaluable advice about how to negotiate the complexities of javanese culture and generally get around Yogyakarta

Tembi itself is a charming little hamlet where nothing happens in a hurry and everyone smiles and says hello as they pass by. While I was a foreign curiosity here, I never felt harassed as a tourist which is such a welcome change from staying in the tourist areas.

The accommodation Dave offers is excellent - recycled javanese wooden houses (limasans) with modern comforts like thick cotton sheets and luxurious outdoor bathrooms to top it off. And the surrounding rice padis are tranquil and quite spectacular at sunset.

Bakti and Ibu Narsi make everything relaxed and comfortable. Bakti is smart, capable and unfazed by any request. Ibu Narsi is a great cook and has a playful manner that puts everyone at ease. And Dave, when he's around, is a fascinating guy whose depth of knowledge about Java (and just about any other subject) is endlessly interesting.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
bigyabbie, Owner at Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thanks so much for your delightful review
It was a pleasure to have you come and join our little community for a while :)
We truly look forward to you dropping back in as this project progresses
and we finish all the bungalows we have planned.
Dave

Been to Yabbiekayu Homestay Bungalows? Share your experiences!