“Heaven on Earth!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Papua Paradise EcoResort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raja Ampat
Papua Paradise EcoResort
You added Papua Paradise EcoResort to your Saves list
Birie Island, Raja Ampat, Indonesia   |
Surabaya, Indonesia
“Heaven on Earth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I can't say enough good things about my recent trip to Papua Paradise. The only bad thing is that I wish I could have stayed longer! This place truly is my definition of heaven on earth: amazing diving; gorgeous, relaxing rooms; great food; wonderful service; hammock on a beautiful over-water deck..... what more could you ask for?
The rooms are all over-water bungalows. They are spacious, clean, and well-maintained. I spent every second I wasn't underwater or sleeping on the deck, either reading or watching an amazing sunset. The rooms include all the basics and more (unlimited drinking water, complimentary coffee and tea, etc.). There is cleaning service every morning and turn-down service every evening.
The food was plentiful and wonderful. Eggs prepared the way you like them for breakfast and a buffet for both lunch and dinner.
One of the ways you can measure great service is when something goes wrong. I had trouble getting hot water in my shower and the managers Chris and Leah bent over backwards to help and accomodate me. They had someone on fixing it right away but since I had just gotten out of the ocean and wanted a shower before sunset (so I could watch from my deck) they found me an empty room that I could use in the meantime. They apologized over and over and went out of their way to make sure I was happy. Leah and Chris are great assets to the resort!
The diving in Raja Ampat is world-class. I have been diving for 15 years all over the world and know good diving. Every single dive was exceptional, but always for different reasons! Brian and Ashley are in charge of the diving and they are great! All the guides were wonderful, finding and pointing out rare and wonderful creatures. Even the one hour I spent snorkeling on the house reef in front of the bungalows I saw 3 small manta rays, 2 turtles, tons of back tip shark, a large school of bumphead parrotfish, etc., etc.
The stay here is on the pricey side, but so is everywhere is Raja Ampat. I balked at the price a bit before I got there, but once I arrived, I realized it was worth every penny. I would pay the same amount and go again in a heartbeat!
Overall, I can't say enough great things about my time at Papua Paradise. If you are considering a trip to Raja Ampat, you will not be disppointed!

Room Tip: There are 16 over-water bungalows numbered 1-16. If you want to be closer to the restaurant, dive a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
Bozeman, MT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

From enjoying the cold fruit juice upon stepping onto the dock to the incredibly helpful and informed staff focused on diving and snorkeling the world-class coral reefs of the Raja Ampat marine bioregion, we were extremely happy with the service, hospitality and "feel" of this beautiful island resort. Not a place for pools and fitness centers, this eco-resort seeks to exist on a sustainable footprint amidst the overwhelming beauty of the island, area coral reefs and abundant wildlife--we LOVED IT! Proprietors, Leah Sindel and Chris Hamilton, are gracious hosts who endeavored to make our two week honeymoon getaway fun, interesting and active. If you want, you can dive up to four dives/ day amidst the incredibly diverse and abundant assemblage of corals, fishes and invertebrates--- it is just mind blowing!!--or just walk with local islanders among nearby jungle shrouded islands in search of jungle surprises, like the extremely rare birds of paradise. Accommodations are simple, comfortable and well-built (with hot shower and toilets, etc). All of the bungalows overlie the lapping waves of the beach, and all have exquisite views of the ocean and sunsets from the partially covered decks--totally romantic! All bungalows are a short walk from the dining area (with a terrific chef!) and dockside activities. A real jewel at the end of the earth!

Room Tip: Lower-numbered bungalows are closer to the dining center!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Denpasar, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've 9 days trip to Papua Paradise Eco Resort I must to admit that the trip to arrived was exhausted . it's almost takes a day to arrived anyhow we cannot do nothing about that. but than when I arrived I forgot that long hours waiting. the only think I have in my mind "it's a real Paradise".

to me this place it's just perfect if you are really into diving you will find such fantastic underwater life there, the staff was so nice and helpful and the environment was so quite which is fit you very much if you really want to get away from crowded city. my trip was perfect to me.

my suggestion; would be nice to have the fresh towel on arrival on the boat instead when we arrive at Papua Paradise and maybe they can make simple way to close the door of the bungalow because of the wind you will find your door open every time.

at the end I can sum that it's was perfect diving holidays and I love the people there. Thanks for everything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Terrace, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Awesome food, great people (Chris and Leah are excellent managers), amazing diving, beautiful resort! The resort caters mainly to divers, but the snorkelers can come on excursions (such as the dive with Manta rays at Manta Sandy, which is included in the one week price, or to Fam islands, which costs extra), or they can simply dive the excellent house reefs. I got the unlimited dive package for one week, which meant I dove 4 times every day (I think except for one day) which is awesome, but for those that don't feel like diving 4 times a day (it can get a bit exhausting), 11 or 13 dives would perfectly fit the bill (allowing for the 2 morning dives every day with some extra ones on the excursions). The resort is pricey (but so is every resort in Raja Ampat) and like one reviewer had mentioned, my only gripe would be that the excursions not included in the one week package (such as Fam islands, which are amazing and definitely worth it) are a bit expensive considering the price you're already paying (I think it was about 65 euros per person). They say the higher price is to cover fuel costs (which, granted, makes sense considering how remote Raja Ampat is). However, the price is listed at 100 euros per person if there's only 2 people going, then it drops down to 65 euros if there are more people going. On our trip to Fam about 12 people went, and so by that reasoning, shouldn't the price drop down further, say maybe to 30 euros per person? Ah well that's my only complaint and it's hardly a big one. Other than that, the resort is fantastic, the staff very professional, the diving great, food awesome, bungalows beautiful, etc. etc. You'll have an awesome time! I know we did.

- Patrick, Anthony, Erin, and Cecil (British Columbia, Canada)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nykoebing, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I had the great pleasure to stay 1 week in this fantastic place, arriving on New Years Eve 2012. We had a splendid dinner, but as everybody was so tired out from either diving, snorkelling or travelling, none of us were able to stay awake till midnight, so the champagne, kindly provided by the very kind and dedicated managers, Leah and Chris, had to wait till the following evening! We did 'only' snorkel, and allthough P.P.E.R. is mostly geared to divers, we had a lot of help and tips from all the staff as to were to go out.
The bungalows are beautifull, with big decks out over the water, where fish of all kinds were entertaining us, when we were relaxing, even baby sharks and bluespottet stingrays came by.

We could have wished for a little cheaper excursions though, as the stay in itself is rather expensive....

But we'd love to go back, it's an aptly named place, and the staff goes out of their way to help you feel at home.

Finn and Elsebeth Ludvigsen, Denmark

Room Tip: The snorkeling is best in front of the very last cottage!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bordeaux, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

What a surprise this fabulous resort was to us. It totally undersells itself on all counts. From the very welcoming and efficient Romy's meeting at the airport, we were delighted with every aspect of our three week stay.
The water cottages are lovely, very spacious, clean and well thought out with a desk, large wardrobe, cupboard for electronics and a mosquito net which was big enough to qualify as a room! The bathroom is stylish and works well with blessed hot water shower.
The balcony has a hammock, sunbeds and chairs, to greet the day, watch the amazing sunsets and search for fish swimming below - baby sharks, rays etc.
The gardens are fabulous with swept paths and interesting planting, and are full of wildlife especially hermit crabs and frogs. There are trails so you can have a look a bit further into the rainforest too, and a bird watching platform. More to do than just diving here!

The diving is tremendous. The reefs are healthy and full of fish, sometimes in staggering quantity. We saw mantas by the dozen, lots of sharks, turtles, bumpheads etc as well as the tiniest creatures. Every dive was an adventure and an opportunity to try to take a photo record of the holiday.

As well as the diving, an outstanding part of the holiday was the team. headed by Leah and Chris. Everyone worked hard to create a good experience for the guests. Everything worked like clockwork. From My organizing the diving from six each morning to Sylvain taking anyone on night dives, the dive centre is outstanding. Any problems with guests' equipment was dealt with cheerfully and Chris seems to be a particular genius with anything in the world that needs to be taken apart and fixed!

The diving pattern is either a two morning dives plus afternoon or three dive trip out further afield, both followed by a sunset and or a night dive. Breakfast snack is usually taken on a heart stoppingly beautiful beach or a jetty of a local village.
At the end of the holiday you receive a dive log with a map of the dive sites, just in case you didn't know where you had been....

The boat crews are fabulous, being very efficient and extremely good humoured. After a day or so they are happy to share a joke or two and really want you to have a good time. They are quick to provide water and fresh towels after a dive, strip down the equipment and get ready for the next dive.
Nimbert, dive guide extraordinaire, deserves a special mention for his ability to check currents and decide which way to go, as well as his spotting ability during dives. He introduced us to a new dive which was one of the highlights of the holiday.
My and Sylvain also are fantastic guides. They have different styles, but are both great at spotting fish and their passion for the underwater world is contagious. They are also always happy to play Name That Fish in the evenings when we reviewed photos taken during the day. I must say, though, that Leah wins fish naming challenges hands down!
We also dived with Leah and Chris who are also both accomplished guides. It was fascinating to see such professionals taking photographs too. We learned a lot from both of them about photography.
The restaurant is astonishing. How such delicious meals can be made for all the staff and guests three times a day is a miracle. Fresh pasta, wonderful vegetarian food and yummy cakes as well as lovely indonesian cooking meant that despite lots of diving there was no weight loss!

We feel very privileged to have been guests at PP. it is a dive centre on the up. Leah and Chris have introduced really good standards and procedures and are thorough in everything they do- but with a light touch so it all seems effortless. It is lovely to see the respect the staff have for them.

I hope the team are all still there next time we go, because we certainly will be back!

Room Tip: All the cottages are really nice and there doesn't seem to be any noise problem!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Biel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Shortly arrived, I was welcomed by Chris and Leah, two charming and enthusiastic managers who started to run the resort a few months ago. Both are passionate divers and dive instructors, and they use every single opportunity to practice their skills in UW photography. The choice of the dive places is left to you, including for the night dives. Both macro and wide angle lovers have enough dive spots to choose from. The dive guides and the boat crew are quite friendly and helpful. If you are used to the kind of guiding that one finds i.e. in Lembeh (where the dive guides are searching for critters in and behind almost every single soft coral), then you will be disappointed. But this drawback is common to all of the three resorts that I visited in Raja Ampat in November 2012, and I do not doubt that in this respect the guiding will improve little by little. Anyway, Chris will be pleased to help if you are experiencing a technical problem with your diving or photographic equipment, and Leah will be delighted to put a name on the critters or the birds you have observed.
The bungalows are built in local style, at least for the outside part, and they are functional though not luxury. Do not expect rooms with aircon or TV.
In the alley, the two sedentary Palm Cockatoos are looking at you with curiosity, following all of your movements.
Cooking is excellent – if you like gnocchis (a kind of Italian pasta, pronounce it “nyokies”) ask for them – they are simply delicious, better than in the Italian restaurants I visited so far (and in Switzerland where I live, we have plenty of them). In front of the restaurant, dozens of juvenile black tip sharks are swimming around, adding a “touch of paradise”. If they are getting very shy as soon as you enter the water, they seem to share my opinion about the cooking skills of the chef...

Room Tip: As long as there is no camera room, it is advisable for photographers to chose one of the closest bu...
Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Papua Paradise EcoResort? Share your experiences!