“WOW” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kri Eco Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raja Ampat
Kri Eco Resort
You added Kri Eco Resort to your Saves list
PT Papua Diving, Raja Ampat, Indonesia   |
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

i have been diving all over indonesia. spent a lot of time everywhere. this review is not about the reef. because if you are looking about going on a vacation to Raja Ampat you probably already know how amazing the ocean is in this part of the world. This review gives BIG UPs to the Kri Eco Resort and CREW!

People make everything special. I have never been on such a fun dive trip in my life. the papuans are incredible. in touch first hand with the ocean. I live in hawaii and thought I was in touch with the ocean, but these guys are really special.
I can only speak from my experiences but Ross, the "boss". he runs the ship. what a cool young guy running the resort. very mellow and very professional. i have had incredible nights having a few bintangs with ross talking about the ocean and the marine life specific to Papua, or talking about or sister in laws cousin who is going through a rough time. This place is special. One of a kind. I never make return trips because i like to continue to see new environments. KRI ECO will be revisited.
Crew of Milky, Yance, Sakeus and Albert was all time. Never shared so many laughs with people without sharing language. Complete fun smiles and as good as dive masters and crew get.
You will never see another diver on your dives. not even your friends. "where did they go" enough reef and wildlife to spend the rest of your life here and not get bored.
oh. no bugs in rooms. everything is great. maybe a few crabs here and there on the steps. its a pleasure pulling a crab off your steps in the morning.

ALOHA from Hawaii.

Brett

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

It took a few days of travelling before we were arrived at Kri Eco Resort in Raja Ampat. We stayed for 7 nights, and averaged 3-4 dives per day. The resort had around 12 bungalows; some that accommodate 4 people, other smaller ones accommodate 2. The bungalows are built in the water, and allow you to sleep and wake up to the sound of the ocean.

The staff members were very friendly and pleasant. We enjoyed our time during the day with the Papuans dive masters on the boat, and at night over drinks with the admin staff. The staff proved to be very knowledgeable in regards to the ocean, its species, life in Papua, marine life, diving, etc..

No need to mention the diving, and quality of the reefs, and the diversity of marine life (that for granted).

The bungalows are cleaned every day, and they also offer free laundry services. The food was amazing, with a variety of fish, chicken, beef, lamb, and vegetarian dishes served for lunch and dinner, while eggs, pancakes, and fruits were served for breakfast. Some snacks were free (fruit, peanuts, and drinking water). Others (soft beverages, chocolate bars, and beers) were available in the fridge at a reasonable price.

The resort offers great views (sunset, sunrise, and views of neighboring islands). They do not have internet access (which was the only negative point I could mentioned), but said that they are working on installing it soon.

I will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
leiden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here for 1 week in april 2011 and had an excellent time. The diving, of course, is great. The bungalows are basic, but fit in perfectly with nature. The staff (cooks, dive guides and so on) was friendly. At night, having to go to the bathroom means walking 100 meters, but even that nightkly stroll was enjoyable. The place was kept clean, the grounds very well maintained. The beautiful 'house parrot 'Jakob comes and goes as he pleases, and the shallow water near the bungalows and the restaurant are so clear you can see bat fishes and small species of sharks swimming around. Coffee and tea are availible for free the entire time. The location is amazing (much nicer I think then the more expensive resort around the corner), the facilities basic, but adequate.

So what are the downsides?
The meals are soso...we had a lot of meat (was hoping for fish) and the food just didn't have a lot of spices, located so close to the spice islands, I expexted differently. The only fish we were served during the week was bonito (which happens to be the only fish I don't like). Obviously you don't want to be eating rare species, but I would have enjoyed a little more fish on the menu. That being said, there were always several dishes on the table, so you always had options.

Secondly, they have 2 boats, which means that guests have to come to an agreement with eachother about which dive sites to visit. If all the guests are willing to compromise there is no problem. However, during my stay there were two men who did not want to compromise at all, therefore they decided which dive sites we would visit. The resort gave in to their demands unfortunately, as they were very persistent.

My last point of criticism is the return journey to Sorong. The resort's boat was broken, so they arranged a different boat. The replacement boat was very unsafe and very slow. This meant we left at 17.30 hrs (instead of 15.00 hrs) and arrived after 20.30 hrs.Those 3 hours were probably the most scary hours of my life as we were on an unsafe boat, with no lights, in complete darkness at open sea. To make things worse, there was a storm going on, so lots of rain, the boat crashing on huge waves, people screaming on board. It really was an unacceptably unsafe return journey. The resort should have come up with a different solution: arrange a better boat from a nearby village, offer an extra night stay (there were enough empty bungalows) so we could leave the next morning after the storm had passed and a propper boat was availible.

If it weren't for this last experience I would have given my stay 4 starts, but since I almot wet my pants during the unpleasent and very dangerous return journey, I'm giving it three stars. Think I will return though, as the simple style of the resort is exactly what I look for in such paradise like surroundings.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
PapuaDiving, Manager at Kri Eco Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear esthergoesasia,

thanks for your review of your stay with us in April last year. In the meantime we are September 2012. Lots of things have changed since then. We do own & operate in total 8 diving boats (max of 6 guests with a min of 2 guides. With this formula we can guarantee small groups and a personalized service for diving). We also work with several companies for our transfer boats to and from Sorong . Always trying to get the best boats available for our guests.
We are very proud of our kitchen and I dare to say that most if not all our guests are very happy with the food. The fish we serve are from local fisherman and we don't serve reef fishes, only pelagics (Tuna, Rainbow runner, Trevally, Spanish Mackerel)
We are looking forward to welcome you back here on Kri island and don't forget that as a returning guest you will receive a 10% discount.
Sunny greetings from the 4 kings,

Papua-Diving management
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I will give this review five stars just because I liked the accommodation, diving, dive guides, and food so much, but there is a big complaint coming, and I will be back next summer Papua Diving, and I hope you would of found a remedy by then. Lets go on with the review.

Accommodations - Basic but perfect for the location. Little cottages out above the water, with full electricity all the time but no AC. Not a problem as they give you a good fan and its very breezy. The beds are comfy and the mosquito nets are very heavy duty. They were perfect.

Food - Also good. Something we looked forward to every meal and it never let us down. Always a ton of food, and good food at that. Large variety, and tasty.

Diving - FANTASTIC! Never seen such things underwater. Loads of fish, stunning corals and colors, and everything one could ask for in a tropical dive. We saw all sorts of sharks, manta rays, corals, more types of fish then i care to remember, and most of all pristine waters. The dive guides were also great. We were there during some pretty strong currents and since we were relatively beginner divers (around 35 dives) the currents were something we were not too fond of. Of course there is almost always some current, and that was fine, but at times I was kicking hard and hardly felt as if I was moving.

A few other things - The sunsets off of the pier are great, you must bring a camera...a tripod if you have one. I liked the bungalows that were directly on the pier, as oppose to off the beach better. You didn't get the most privacy and quiet as other guests were walking up and down the pier, but I liked the idea of staying right off the pier.

Okey Papua Diving here comes the gripe - FIX THE DAMN RENTAL EQUIPMENT SITUATION. Against all common sense (to me) all of the diving gear is stored at their other resort which is around the beach. The other resort is the nicer of the two locations (twice as expensive) and for some reason they have found it fit to store the gear there. Why, who knows! Yes, the other resort, Sorido, is indeed close enough to walk for a nice stroll, but much too far to be grabbing equipment right before the dive. The most mind boggling part about this to me is that Kri has substantially more people staying there and diving yet Sorido gets all the equipment.

Other then that I would highly recommend making the trip out to Papua and going to Raja Ampat. We were there for a week, felt as we could of easily stayed two more and intend on visting again in the summer of 2013.

Thanks for everything Papua Diving!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
PapuaDiving, Manager at Kri Eco Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Mikush14,
it was a pleasure to have you here with us and we really appreciate your review/feedback.
I would like to apologize for the discomfort you experienced during your stay regarding the rental dive equipment . As you know we had a complete overhaul to our restaurant area and because of the temporary restaurant (that is actually a new chill area and the little house is for the rental dive equipment) during the renovation we had to store the rental equipment at Sorido.
We are looking forward to welcome you again here in paradise and hope to surprise you with lots of improvements.
Sunny regards,

Papua-Diving management
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Summary: Excellent diving, basic but comfortable accommodation, fantastic food, wonderful dive guides. The diving operation could use significant streamlining. Would go back, with caveats.

About me:
Intermediate diver, had logged 40 dives before arriving at Kri, comfortable with strong currents.

What I loved about Kri:
- The diving is divine. I was there during the August “off-season” but the diving was spectacular nevertheless. No mantas, but tons of fish, gorgeous corals, amazing macros (including the stars, the pygmy seahorses).
- The food is fantastic. I am vegetarian, and they took great care to prepare wholesome and delicious veggie meals for me. Among the best meals I have ever had at a diving resort. And the restaurant is being upgraded – should be ready in several months.
- The accommodation is comfortable. The houses on stilts are a fun touch, but rooms off the jetty (numbers 1-4) have constrained views and lack verandas. The rooms are basic, with shared bathrooms and no hot water. But it's hard to complain about being in cottages with thatched roofs over turquoise water. The house reef is amazing - I've seen more stuff sitting out after dinner than I have on many dives at other places! The sunset gazebo off the jetty is an amazing place to unwind over a Bintang and to take in the amazing views. The new deluxe cottage is spectacular – and in some ways is even better than most cottages at Sorido – Kri’s upmarket cousin up the beach. It has spectacular views, is newly upgraded, and has it’s own bathroom (but no hot water, I believe).
- The dive guides are friendly and very competent. I can’t say enough good things about the dive guides. They know the waters, care for the guests, and are happy to accommodate special requests. I developed a cold during my stay there and had trouble equalizing; upon my request, I had a dive guide assigned to me so I could descend slowly (or abort if needed) without interrupting the experience of the rest of the group. Dolvinus and his gang are truly wonderful.
- It attracts an eclectic mix of people, mostly from Europe and the US – and the fellow guests were one of the highlights of the trip.
- Max Ammer who owns the place is an amazing guy – with boatloads of energy, a passion for conservation, and a strong desire to help the local community. With Max in charge, Kri has its heart in the right place.
- The Bird of Paradise excursion to Fam island was a wonderful experience.
- Free laundry is much appreciated (and used).

What I wished were different:
- The dive operation is somewhat disorganized. Despite providing gear sizes in advance, several of my fellow divers did not have the right sized wet suits or shoes for the first couple of days of diving. In defiance of logic, ALL dive gear is stored at Sorido, even though Kri is the busier of the two resorts. This results in awkward situations: when a guest requested a snorkel on day 1, she was politely informed that Kri didn’t have any, but one could be “ordered” from Sorido with advance notice. That a top-end dive resort should not have a snorkel to spare is appalling. Anything that malfunctions must be replaced from Sorido - but the Sorido guys may not "issue a replacement" until the malfunctioning equipment is "returned first". Another set of guests passed on the free nitrox because they didn’t want to pay for a rental computer for each of them – they were informed on the very last night that the computers had in fact been pre-paid for all along.
- There was a higher than expected rate of equipment malfunctions the week that I was there (BCDs, regs, computers, etc.) which may reflect on the preventive care performed. This could also be one-off since I was only there for a week.
- The unlimited diving package is overpriced. It doesn’t make sense for most people – you probably shouldn’t count on getting more than 2.5 dives a day on average; a lot less if you aren’t feeling your best. Don’t count on doing a night dive every day – three dives a day can get pretty tiring. Unless you’re getting a significant break on the per-dive rate by prepaying for them, I’d recommend you just post-pay for dives. If you’re prepaying for dives, estimate conservatively, and see below.
- Diving excursions to places such as to the Passage cost an additional 60 euros, irrespective of whether you are on the unlimited diving package, have prepaid a certain number of dives, or are just paying for accommodation. In other words, if you’ve prepaid for dives (unlimited or otherwise), you get no break on the excursion rate. That seems unreasonable.
- No hot water, and no internet – not sure why, although I recognize some may think of these as a plus. Sorido (the “luxury resort”) has internet access, and we were welcome to walk over and use it. But would it really cost that much to provide wifi? Also, hot water once a day – or even every other day – would have been awesome. Cold mandis after diving get old quickly. Kri Lodge seems to be having a bit of an identity crisis – in trying to stay true to its eco lodge roots and distinguish itself from its luxury resort cousin (Sorido), it ends up feeling a tad overpriced. That seemed acceptable back in the day when it was the only diving operation in Raja Ampat, but now it feels somewhat too basic to be worth full retail price.

Would I go back?
In a heartbeat. Loved the diving, loved the people. What would I do differently – I wouldn’t pay for unlimited diving for sure. I’d probably bring as much of my own gear as possible. I’d negotiate the price. And I’d hope the management read this review and worked to streamline the dive operation.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 through 4 are off the jetty which make them quick to get in and out of while diving. But the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear MustMusaarif,
Thank you very much for being our guest and diving with us. Also I would like to thank you for your honest review and feedback.
I would like to take the opportunity to react to some of the negative points that you mentioned.
- Regarding the rental dive equipment. We had indeed for the period that you were here stored all our dive equipment over at Sorido. This was mainly because we were renovating our restaurant (which is now going to be very spacious and comfortable compared to before) and we used as a temporary solution another new building at our main jetty where you had your meals. This will now function as an extra chill / internet area and the little house for storage of rental equipment. Meanwhile, Kri Eco is in possession of its own equipment again.
Most if not all of our equipment is brand new Aqualung dive equipment (BCD's, regulators/Titan, masks, snorkels & fins) and our computers are SUUNTO ZOOP's. Because our head office is at Sorido we service and repair everything there. Please do accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort that you experienced during your stay because of that.
- As I mentioned above, Kri Eco will have its own internet area for the guests.
- A hot mandi is always provided after every night dive and the staff at Kri Eco will be happy to prepare one on request.
- As you noticed most of the best dive sites are around our island and all these trips are for free. Any guest that wishes to do a special trip/excursion to further away locations is informed about the fuel surcharge. We are very remote and getting material (provision, fuel, etc...) here is very expensive. That is the price to pay for being in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Hoping to welcome you back in the future & sunny greetings from the 4 kings,
Papua-Diving Management
long beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Thatched roof huts over turquoise water and white sandy beaches, crickets and jungle birds singing, coral and diverse life right under the docks, everything made from local and natural materials, geckos, excellent food, perfect weather. No air conditioning (a HUGE plus in my book), no tv, no shoes, no worries. World class diving five minutes by boat. Friendly staff. And that's just the start. This place is FABULOUS!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

wonderful place, great, great people, delicious food, unimaginable for diving, the best sunsets

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kri Eco Resort? Share your experiences!