“Great function, expensive bedrooms” 4 of 5 stars

Fanhams Hall Hotel
Fanhams Hall Road, Ware SG12 7PZ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Ware
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Great function, expensive bedrooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We recently attended a wedding and the whole event was superb. The venue is beautiful, if a little quirky! The wedding service was held outside in the Japanese Garden, which was lovely - just a shame that it was drizzling with rain :( The main part of the hotel was clean, warm and welcoming, with stunning flower arrangements. The staff were very friendly and helpful, their service was excellent and the wedding banquet was absolutely delicious. The conservatory, where the wedding banquet was held, was a lovely light room and the sound quality was good. There was a nice big dance floor for the evening disco. All in all a great wedding venue.

We stayed the night and were disappointed with the bedrooms, which were very small indeed. There was hardly room to walk round the bed and it felt very claustrophobic. Our booking confirmation stated that we would receive the 'best available'. I certainly would not have liked to have received the 'worst available'. Also, we had a superior room which, to me, was pretty standard. Having recently stayed in a Travelodge for a quarter of the price, the room was much larger than the one at Fanhams Hall. We overlooked the courtyard, which was quite noisy with people returning to their rooms throughout the early hours, plus we couldn't get dressed in the morning with the curtains open as people would have been able to see in (not a pretty sight!)
For wedding guests staying overnight, I think there should have been much more than a £5 reduction (available over the phone but which we didn't receive, having booked online) as £125 was a lot to pay for such a tiny room.
PS The breakfast was lovely!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

294 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Llandudno, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

A very grand house which was once beautiful. It still is,even with a wonderful modern extension
with lake views and ducks within the breakfast area. The room on the ground floor was very
nice, but dinner which I booked for,for three was nothing to write home about. This is a wedding
hotel which had a wedding the next day.....this seemed to mean that staffing was low. There
were not many other people in the hotel and at breakfast time we were told the gas wasn't
working and we would have to wait for hot food! We were eventually served bacon and eggs.
That was OK but it should have been better. The dinner should have been better. It is obvious
if you are a one nighter looking for a nice hotel avoid weekends. I'm sure midweeks everything
is so much better.

Room Tip: The ground floor outside rooms were very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed here September 2013 as part of a work 'away day'. This was our second year running holding our away day at this venue.

The grounds are really lovely, especially if the weather is good. Perfect for a picnic and really spacious. The hotel is perfect for a work event as it has nice accommodation (some rooms are much nicer than others though), spacious meeting rooms, good food (the dinner we had was amazing) and fun add-ons, like a karaoke room and sweetie vending machines!

I can see it would be a great wedding venue too!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hertford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We attended a friends wedding here, the garden were very lovely. But our room was not ready at the stated time, we checked in half an hour later and still not ready, they hurried the maids in after we left our bags and quickly freshened up. They apologised and left us a bottle of wine in our room at the end of the night. Howether, my makeup that I had left in the bathroom had been taken by cleaners, ( They probably thought it was the peoples before) But it was a Mac foundation costing me £20. I'm not to happy that I have to replace!!
When we woke the next day and packed our stuff up I noticed on the ceiling cobwebs and up to 6 spiders, this is my worst nightmare. The girl at desk gave us £30 of our room- And said she would look into my makeup going missing then she would phone me, No call ever came, so really they gave us £10 of to sleep in a dirty room. The ceiling need a good clean, am shocked as the hotel was lovely apart from our room.

Room Tip: We were in courtyard, quite noisy at night with weddings going on. But dirty dirty room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
DebbieMGuy, General Manager at Fanhams Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry that your room was not ready on time but so pleased we provided a gesture of goodwill.

The cleanliness of your room is not acceptable and certainly not our usual standard of cleanliness.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon so you can enjoy our lovely gardens again as you mentioned.

With kind regards
Ware, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We attended a fabulous Sunday lunch meal after being recommended this establishment by a friend. The food was exceptional, the grounds stunning, the staff appeared to enjoy their work. It's nice to have a good experience in a busy environment. The only improvement I would advise would be to reword phrases used by senior staff to minors, the busy carvery area had become a bit messy, the supervisor asked the young man to clean the veg and s*** to make it look better. I would expect a more professional manner, however very pleasant when showing us our table. Overall good job fanhams! We will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for joining us for Sunday Lunch, I was delighted you enjoyed yourselves and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

I am sorry for the comments you overheard. Please be rest assured that I have spoken to the team member you have mentioned.

With kind regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I got married at Fanhams a few weeks ago and we would tell anyone who is looking for a venue to choose this one. Not only is it beautiful with its mix of old and new and lovely photo opportunities but the staff made the day for us. The food was fantastic and the staff so attentive, I could not fault any part of the day they were very organised and provided a personal touch. My feet were killing me the next day after a tour of the huge gardens with the photographer and dancing all night in heels, however I still managed to hobble down for a yummy fry up in the morning. All of my guests had said that had they known of this venue they would have chosen it too, it's a hidden gem. Fanhams is the only wedding venue for me and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I got married here on the 24th August and had the most amazing day. Louisa looked after us up until a few days before the wedding and Abi took care of us on the day. They were so accommodating from the moment we booked at Fanhams and I literally couldn't have faulted the service we received on the day. The rooms were lovely and even the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately it rained on our wedding day but the staff made every effort to make sure that it didn't put a dampener on our day. I would definitely recommend Fanhams Hall as somewhere to have your special day or even just to visit for an overnight stay or lunch and to have a wonder around the beautiful grounds.

I look forward to returning to Fanhams in the future

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fanhams Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!