“Hanbury Manor - English Country Style Golf Resort” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ware
Connecticut
“Hanbury Manor - English Country Style Golf Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you are looking for a great resort with some English Country Style, The Marriott Hanbury Manor is worth considering. I recently stayed 4 nights at this resort and found it to be very comfortable. I had a Junior Suite in the main building. It was a two level suite with plenty of room. The grounds are beautiful and the hotel has a lot of character. I particularly enjoyed the pool and fitness center. There is a PGA golf course on site that looked great. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to play but would have liked to. Had breakfast and dinner at the Oakes Grill. The food and service were great. If the weather is nice, get a table on the patio overlooking the golf course. One night we took a 10 minute walk to the edge of the property and had dinner at a local Pub, the Sow and Pig. Very traditional pub with excellent food.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience following your stay and thank you for choosing Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I am sure our readers will find this review very beneficial.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Our aim is to exceed individual’s expectations and I am delighted to read that we have achieved this.

I hope that the service you received from my staff and the great food will entice you back to the hotel allowing us to showcase the Hanbury Manor experience that you are now familiar with.

Govert Deketh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Greek first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The first impressiom when you arrive is really Grand and prestigious. The Garden and the Manor are absolutely spotless Butiful. However when you get inside it's a little bit different. Lets say that the overall problem of this hotel is that it's "Messy". Its got a enormous potential due to the historic building but honestly you wonder what they had in mind. The reception is alright then on your right you have a sort of lounge / Bar where honestly the it's freezing as the doors are open constantly. The furniture gives an impression again of being all over the place and mix match We didn't really want to stay in this room to have a drink. At the back you have a charming room but again it's not quite there yet. The library is completely dead and left with tables wich to my opinion doesn't make sense... you should have instead comfy sofas and armchair. Country style should be comfy.... Highlight: the Spa is great. Great sauna and great jacuzzi. However the treatments are Really expensive . The breakfast was really good and we have actually met a couple of nice chefs there, really friensly , Pedro and Patrick they explained us the different buffet option. We also met the Exec. Chef Raj. Really nice and genuine people. Very good idea the Fresh bespoke omelette in the morning. Loved it!

Overall it was a good experience but was expecting more from a 5 star . And please close the windows!!! The heating is full on and windows wide open!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I really appreciate your invaluable time spent in giving your feedback. We are certain that readers of your review will find the detailed information you provided very useful when choosing a hotel.

It was indeed pleasurable to read that you enjoyed your experience and your highlight was your visit to the spa. I was pleased to hear that you met with Pedro and Patrick during breakfast and our Executive Chef, Raj .

Thank you once again and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to showcase the Hanbury Manor experience that you have now come to know in the not too distant future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a weekend break using Tesco Clubcard vouchers recently, for which we felt we weren't welcomed as much as the people who were "paying guests". The room was clean but dated. There was no milk for a cup of tea, and we had to request some from reception. On day 2 there was no replacement shower gel. We went for a cocktail in the bar, which was extortionately priced, so we then had a G & T. £6 for a single (25ml) shot without mixer was also overpriced. We had a lovely meal at the pub down the road (Sow & Pigs) which was busy but service was great. Overall, the hotel was ok, but by no means a 5 star rating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review following your weekend break at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. We are sorry that you found the hotel only passable and your experience fell short of your expectations.

I am mortified to hear that you did not feel as welcomed as much as our paying guests. All guests should be welcomed whether they are paying, staying with us on a special promotion or alternatively on Tesco Clubcard vouchers. I can assure you it was not intentional and not meant to make you feel uncomfortable in anyway whatsoever and I am sincerely sorry that it did. We will learn from your feedback and sometimes the way things come across make a big difference.

I have taken on board your points with reference to the milk and the shower gel. I am most terribly sorry this should not have happened and as you would expect I have shared your comments with my Executive Housekeeper who is looking into this.

With regards to the prices charged for drinks in the cocktail bar. We are line with other properties and we do benchmark ourselves regularly to make sure we are in line. Saying this I will escalate your comments on your behalf.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel so that we may have the opportunity to make your next stay with us an excellent one.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My friend and I were lucky enough to happen upon a deal that included a room, two spa treatments and a three-course meal, which made for a lovely escape.

I do have to admit that parking was really confusing. We parked at one of the first lots, which happened to be near our room, but had we parked near the lobby, we would have had quite a walk through multiple buildings with all of our belongings. The maze of buildings and parking were really the only detractors. There were a lot of cars and delivery areas that were kind of distracting from the scenery.

The room itself was clean. They provided robes, and we had champagne on ice.

The spa included a pool, jacuzzi, sauna and stream room, which we really enjoyed. We had our nails done, and I had an aroma therapy massage. Very relaxing, but I've had better of both. The best part was lounging around in the pool, jacuzzi, and sauna.

The meal was in the main restaurant and really delicious. I started with a beautiful plate of charcuterie followed by duck breast and a dessert.

Overall, we had a great time and left very relaxed and satisfied.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club following your stay with us. I was delighted that you and your friend enjoyed your stay with us and had some lovely things to say about your “Great Escape”.

I am sorry that you found the parking confusing and I have of course taken your feedback on board.

Thank you once again for your review and I am so pleased that you both left us feeling relaxed and satisfied and we cannot wait to welcome you both back and to be of service to you once again.

York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

This hotel should not be a five star, we chose it as we wanted a nice place to chill out for the weekend after a holiday in another five star hotel. When we arrived we were given a map, which was very vague, and sent off in the general direction of our room which seemed miles away, most hotels of this quality would have someone to show you the way. When we found it, the room was ok but had stains on the carpet and plaster coming off the wall at the back of the bed, it also had a cobweb and stains on the wall and hadn't seen a lick of paint for years. Dressing gowns are supplied but no slippers and you have to pay extra for wifi, and at over £200 a night for a basic room, we feel we have been ripped off, we are stuck here for another night yet and we should not be feeling like that. The only nice part was that the food we had for room service was very good, also the breakfast was faultless. This is our first stay in a Marriott hotel and we are so disappointed. Peaceful location though.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We have responded to you in a private message.

Yours sincerely

Wallingford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Having stayed in a lot of country manor type hotels in our time I have to say this one beats them all hands down. It isn't just the beautiful, tranquil setting that makes it stand out, but the impeccable service from all the staff we encountered.
As soon as we arrived we were greeted with a warm welcome from the doormen, and reception staff. Check-in was simple and faultless (I recommend the Marriott App which we used to check-in and check-out with, it's great for avoiding the queues at reception on your last day) . Everyone from the ladies in the spa, to the restaurant staff were polite, friendly and helpful.
We stayed in room 214 a Prestige room in the main house. It certainly had the wow factor when we walked in. The room was large, beautifully decorated,comfortable,luxurious, and with a lovely view over the terrace & golf course.
A big thank you to all the wonderful staff at Hanbury Manor for making our stay memorable. Good service is so hard to find these days, and you are a credit to this lovely Hotel. We will be back.

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fantastic review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club and for the top scores you have awarded us. We are thrilled to learn that we were able to exceed your expectations.

It was a pleasure to be of service to you and I am so glad that you were happy with your chosen hotel. It gives me such pride to hear such kind words regarding my staff. They receive many positive comments and I will be so proud once again to share this with them all.

Thank you once again for your review. We cannot wait to welcome you back so that we may showcase the Hanbury Manor experience that you have now come to know and love!

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed here on our wedding night after travelling down from Lincolnshire and have to say it was another great stay. I thought we would have been made to feel a little bit more special on arrival seeing as though it was our wedding night, but we wasn't - although it was late at night.
Our room was a lovely room overlooking the golf course, however unfortunately it seemed to be a prime smoking spot for those playing golf so had to close our windows a couple of times in order to avoid the cigarette smoke !
The room was clean and comfortable and we did have a little card in the room to say congratulations on our wedding, however after a recent stay at The Savoy I'm afraid Hanbury Manor doesn't quite do customer service on the same level.
We went for afternoon tea during one afternoon and it was delicious with a great choice of tea and sandwiches (we are also vegetarians) and we was delighted to be given a complimentary glass of champagne to celebrate our wedding.
During our stay we used the spa facilities and that was lovely and relaxing albeit very busy at times, we managed to find some time when it was quieter. Also we was disappointed that we wasn't able to have a treatment together in the spa. We wanted to book facials but unfortunately there wasn't a dual treatment room and that we would only be able to have mini treatments anyway.
This of course didn't affect our stay, but it just seems as though perhaps we wasn't made to feel as special as we should have been during our honeymoon and we had been made to feel more special on previous visits which weren't special !
We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit your review and welcome back! Thank you for choosing us once again we are honoured.

It is so encouraging to read such positive comments and I will share them with my team who will be equally appreciative. Saying this I was disenchanted to read that you felt that we do not quite accomplish the customer service on the same par as The Savoy. I was also saddened to hear of your disappointment that we do not have a dual treatment room and you and your husband were unable to have your treatments together however I was pleased that this did not affect your stay.

As very valued guests thank you once again for reviewing our hotel and we cannot wait to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Best wishes

Govert Deketh

Been to Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!