We booked through Borneo Ecotours for a 3 night/4 day trip from Sandakan over the internet. Everything ran like clockwork they met us at the airport at Sandakan bused us to Sepilok to watch the Orangutang feeding and then after lunch onto a boat up river to Sukau Lodge. Yes it takes 2.5 hours to get there but the trip is comfortable and the scenery and wildlife is great. We did day cruises up the river, night cruises, walks on the boardwalk behind the lodge and a trip to Gomantong Caves to see the bats and swiftlets. The morning cruise means a 5.30am wake up knock on the door but day on the river is worth it.
Everything happen according to schedule, the guides and staff were all friendly and knowledgeable about the wildlife. Food was generous with several choices available from the buffet at every meal, rooms were clean, everything worked and drinks from the bar were reasonable given the location. We saw Proboscis monkeys, macaques,wild orangutang plus lots of birds including 5 different species of Hornbills. Our only disappointment was not seeing the elephants but it gives us an excuse to go back again.
On the return to Sandakan we went to Agnes Keith House overlooking the city, had lunch at the restaurant, visited the war memorial at Sandakan and had a brief stop at the markets before getting dropped at the airport. overall a memorable visit for our first trip to Sabah.
- Also Known As:
- Sukau Rainforest Hotel Sabah
- Sukau Rainforest Hotel
- Sukau Rainforest Lodge Kinabatangan District, Sabah, Malaysia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in May 1995, Sukau Rainforest Lodge is built on stilts using Borneo hardwood species and is completely self sufficient in water and power supply, utilising rainwater and solar energy. Electric motors are used for river safari tours to wildlife areas to minimise air and noise pollution and reduce stress to the wildlife. Every room has an attached bathroom with solar hot water shower while electricity is supplied at night by a generator set. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with EasyToBook so you can book your Sukau Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.