“A nice place ....but...” 3 of 5 stars

Mac Garden Resort
280/153 Moo.2, Tambol Pae, Amphur Mueng, Phe 21160, Thailand   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Phe B&B and Inns
Phetchaburi, Thailand
“A nice place ....but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Location.
Very close to the Pier where the boats leave for Koh Samet. While it fronts the main road, the restaurant and gardens at the front make the resort very quiet and private. The resort is an easy walk to the nearby shops and a few nearby cafe's and restaurants. A slightly longer walk to the markets, but well within the capabilities of the average person.
Two friendly dogs adopted us and often hung around our room or came to greet us in the morning and evening as we came and went. I think because my partner kept feeding them.
Rooms.
We stayed 4 nights in one of the Wooden Rooms. The main living area was roomy and had a TV, fridge, air conditioner and a Queen size bed. (Advertised as a double bed). Off the living room was a hand basin and down a few steps a sunken bathroom with shower and sit down toilet. All areas were nicely designed and felt comfortable to stay in.
The bed was comfortable, the mattress on the hard side, which I prefer. The sheets were clean but the fitted sheet had a small hole in it.
There was only one cup and one glass provided for a two person room. We asked for extra glasses and plates and cutlery and they were provided without fuss.
A small bar fridge, TV and Aircon in the room with a small study desk and 1 chair completed the fittings.
The balcony had only 1 chair, a bit narrow for my bum.
One of everything seemed to be a theme, maybe these rooms are for singles?
General
We had a discounted room price, even so it was still 1500 baht per night. The resort is obviously under re-development with a number of new rooms partially completed. They look like they will be compact but nice.
Our room would suit a couple for a romantic getaway.
The Bad.
The air conditioner in our room struggled with the heat of the day. It was ok at night. My partner and I have both lived in the tropics a long time, we are acclimatised. I mention this to show that it is not a Westerner straight from a cold country complaining.
There was no room fan. A simple addition that would have reduced the need for the air conditioner.
The room was not serviced in the 4 days that we were there. Bins were not emptied and we ended up with a pile of rubbish outside the room. (The hint was not taken). Toiletries like the liquid soap in the shower, soap tablets and toilet paper were not refilled or replaced. The bed was never made, there was no offer of fresh towels and we only had the original 2 bottles of water. I have stayed in many places at about half the price that we paid where all of that is done daily. I suspect that if we had asked for the room to be serviced that it may have been, but that is not the point, that level of service should be provided automatically not needed to be asked for at the advertised price
Our room had mosquitoes (bad). We asked for the room to be sprayed and were provided with a new bottle of Insect Spray (good).
A layer of dust on top surfaces and shelves plus cobwebs in the bathroom indicates that the rooms are not well maintained or that ours had been unused for a few weeks.
Restaurant
Free wifi is available in the restaurant and while we were there they played some laid back Jazz music. We did not eat there, but it seemed popular judging by the number of people who did.
Overall the place had character, but I would look elsewhere on a further visit as you can get better value.

Room Tip: Maybe check out the new rooms once thy are built.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The stay at Mac Garden was exactly what we were after. We arrived on a bus from Bangkok at about 8pm and left at 9am to catch a ferry to Koh Samet. The standard room was comfortable and clean. It was twin beds and mine was broken but I still slept fine. I would stay again if I was heading back to Samet. The bathroom was clean but we didn't use the shower so I can't comment on that. The breakfast wasn't great.

This isn't somewhere that I would stay for an extended period of time as it was very basic althought, they are building some deluze rooms. i don't know much of what ban Phe has to offer and if you're travelling to Ban Phe in low season then I suggest taking your own food, we arrived late and only 1 restaurant in town was open... They stood and watched us eat and then asked us to finish our drinks as they wanted to close.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Being in Thailand travelling for a month with my boyfriend, this was the only hotel we checked out of early from the dozen or so we stayed in. We stayed in a bungalow which was ok, but one of the lights didn't work and the bathroom was very dirty - bugs everywhere and very dingey! The food was also disgusting. Me and my boyfriend are not fussy at all but I would not recommend this hotel. On the plus side the dogs are cute!

• Stayed July 2013
Novosibirsk, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Can`t recommend this hotel to anyone. The room is on the ground floor, has no window. Very wet inside. In the bathroom very poor. Toilet cistern is broken and glued by scotch. Between the wall and ceiling are cracks, and some very big insect run there. We booked the room but can`t live there at all.
By we come the room was not ready, one room has no hot water. In another room was no light and the boy was trying to made it.
Territory is abandoned. Trees are dry, not watered. No flowers, nothing beautiful.
The price is 700 Baht too high for that kind of hotel. Nearby hotels (ask Taxibike driver) are from 500 Baht for room with better kind of service.
The area outside is very poor, margin place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I must explain my rating, the room quality isn't the highest for standard room however the grounds, staff, and location increase the overall rating.

The grounds and landscaping are striking with lush greenery and flowering trees. Although they just got done with some serious pruning so it isn't as jungle-like as it was in May 2011 when I first stayed. Still very nice though. It feels tucked away from the vibrating streams of tour buses arriving from Bangkok. Ban Phe is where the ferries depart to the paradise island of Koh Samet, so it can become quite the busy scene during weekends and holidays. Otherwise, Ban Phe is fairly quiet with its share of stray dogs, a nice night market two times weekly, lots of food stands, stands selling life and freshly caught fish and huge prawns, local beaches up and down the coast line, and has the nearly continual activity of zooming motorbikes.

Mac Garden is between two of the main piers across the street from the ocean and a bit set back. I first stayed a month here in May 2011 when I completed a Teaching English as a Second Language Course. They give a discount for a standard room if you have a long stay and negotiate a bit (they get regular long term visitors). They have some fancier bungalows, that I believe have a double or queen bed, but I've only stayed in the standard rooms. The bungalows are 2000 THB and are larger, with bigger bathrooms and a nice little deck to sit out on. The standard rooms are 700 THB and have two single beds, smaller bathroom with the shower and toilet separated by a step down area. This is good because you can control how much water gets in the whole bathroom. The bungalows (I've only peeked in briefly) has much better separation of space within the bathroom if that is important. I never had a problem with standard room, however the mattresses are the hardest I've ever slept on. I got used to it, but the first night of two I had a sore shoulder. My husband and I traveled together this most recent stay and he admitted the mattresses were the hardest ever, but he slept good.

So for my pro (positive) list:
-The grounds, as mentioned.
-Staff are quite friendly. Most are very warm and sweet. They work hard, always sweeping up the grounds and helping things looking nice.
-Clean rooms and attached bathroom.
-Great working A/C.
-Restaurant and Bar on site (although they open late and close early and is a bit expensive. If they are closed, this isn't a problem though because there are plenty of places to eat and drink in Ban Phe).
-Security guard at nights.
-Lots of Birds and Butterflies.
-Easy access to beaches.
-Quiet location of rooms, as they are located in the back of resort. However, this can be a problem for those who don't like to walk a bit. I appreciated this. I stayed at the Bedrock initially during my first stay. While the fancier room was certainly nicer at the Bedrock than the standard room at the Mac, the vibrating tour buses that would park across the street at the Bedrock would literally shake the panes of my windows.

The Cons (Negatives):
-No Internet Access in the rooms. You have to carry down your laptop to the courtyard/ restaurant and use it there. Although internet is free.
-Hardest mattresses ever.
-Only two twin-bed mattress option in the standard rooms.
-Simple bedding and towels (nothing fancy). No top sheet which is typical of Thailand.
-Simple locks on doors and no safe, however lots of staff roaming around so it felt okay.
-Housekeeping was only once a week, when I stayed here for a month.
-Mosquitos. See my comments under Helpful Hints for more information.

Room Tip: 1. Local beaches if you aren't going to go to Koh Samet are not clean for the most part. Watch o...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

If you don't make the last boat in time for Koh Semet then this place is great for the night - the wood bungalows are the better option as the other rooms looked small. Very close to the pier but bungalows are off the main street so it's quiet. Have put up some photos

• Stayed January 2012
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed for four days, The accomodotion was not quite what we expected. Having said that it ticked most of the basic boxes air con and hot water were all fine. The girls that worked the bar and cleaned were very friendly and extremley helpful. It is a good location within in minutes of access to many boat trips. Sea food is every where. Whilst the hotel food was good, much cheaper can be found out on the main street by vendors and the many bars and restaurants.All in all a good time :)

Room Tip: Go for the lodges, much better quality. Unsure of the price difference and wished we had researched...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mac Garden Resort? Share your experiences!