“Great gluten free meal” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Island of Gozo, Malta
“Great gluten free meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

It's often difficult to find a restaurant that makes it easy and enjoyable to eat 'gluten free', but that's what we found last night; the welcome from the staff was excellent and we were seated quickly. When I asked about gluten free options I was told that they could be catered for, they offered a complimentary GF free bread bruschetta to start followed by a lovely GF free spaghetti bolognese.

The service, atmosphere, location, value and food were great. . . The promotional complimentary bottle of white wine greatly appreciated too!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

hampshire
“worst meal and experience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have returned to lovely Gozo for some September sun for the last 4 years. We ate here on our second night as Ta Carolina ( next door) was closed. This was a big mistake - the waiting staff were miserable, no smiles and to be frank the food was dire. I ordered fish soup to start - when it arrived it was clearly pumpkin soup with 1 large prawn and I calamari dropped on the top. In 4 years we have never had a disappointing meal in Gozo - this was one !! beware.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
“super fresh fish and very friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Do enjoy the catch of the day! very pleasant and helpful staff. This was our second time here and we thoroughly enjoyed it again. Recommended!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have eaten here before and have always found the staff very pleasant. We were seated quickly and our order was taking promptly. You are given bread and bruschetta before any starters or mains arrive, so be warned if you have a small stomach! :) If you are seated at a table by the water you can feed the fish what you can't manage.The pizzas are great (huge) and there's a wide range of meals including gluten free options. My partner had the deep fried chicken breast with parma ham and said it was one of the greatest chicken dishes he's had. Getting the bill is a little slow but this is not enough to stop us from visiting time and time again. We will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Mea culpa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have eaten here in the past and have had perfectly nice meals (particularly the pizza), however the latest bad experience was probably half my fault. I ordered the courgette and baby squid pasta which was a starter that you could choose to have made into a main course. I thought this sounded like a nice light meal as I wasn't hungry enough for a pizza. As a starter it would probably work, however the menu didn't state it was cooked in ink and the plate of stodgy black pasta with tiny baby squid (which were full of sand) was not very enjoyable at all. So sticky and with a very heavy fish flavour (which I assume was the ink). I left most of it, and yes I know I should have said something when asked when everything was ok, but I was incredibly British and just stated I was full. Thus I can't really blame the restaurant when I didn't give them a chance to make good, that coupled with previously good experience means a 3/5 rather than a 2/5.

The restaurant is in a lovely setting, we sat inches from the water and on a hot night the breeze from the mouth of the bay was very welcome. My companions had a pizza each (and left most of it because they actually were too full) and had no complaints. Why did I have to be different? It won't stop me going back - I just know what to avoid in future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere