My girlfriend booked us in for six nights. We both agree it was a lovely stay. We really enjoyed it and are discussing returning. As we are frequent travellers/ backpackers but getting a little old it was a very relaxing stay.
1) Fantastic location. Easy to get around Gozo, €1.50 all day bas pass and to nip the the mainland and explore there.
2) There is a great selection of restaurants in the bay. Why so many people stay in the hotel I don't know.
3) The locals and ex-pats in Mgarr are all very friendly. We timed the trip perfectly. The week before Easter. Good weather, everything open but without the flocks of tourists.
4) The hotel must have been very recently renovated. The room was a fantastic size and top quality. Brand spanking new lifts.
5) If you like diving there is a separate but linked diving company next door. Linked in it rents the space only. Very friendly and good banter. Jurgen is the boss.
The not brilliants
1) I would avoid staying on the fourth floor as your view is restricted by a stone wall straight onto the pool. Note the picture above should be updated. Not a massive deal to us but if you get the chance ask to stay further up.
2) Some of the reception staff are pretty useless. They didn't have much information. It can't be hard to have a few bus or ferry schedules to hand out.
3) The wireless is appalling. Although there are two super fast free to use computers.
4) Breakfast was not expensive and I would choose again but it is not fantastic. Some of the cooked offering sits for too long. Eggs like rubber. We got in early a few times and first thing it is much better. Also the dinning room is tiny. Very busy.
1) They are indeed building a indoor pool. I saw it as they have knocked a wall into the dive rental, to the dive companies frustration. They weren't doing any work when we were there. It is all inside though so I cannot see how noisy it would be.
2) We opted for the airport transfer of 30 euros. Pretty easy. We arrived late. To be honest the bigs is super easy and from outside the airport directly to the ferry terminal. X1 and it is €1.50 for all day or €1.30 for the single. It is normally around when the ferry returns. We got the bust back.
3) The ferry is no hassle. You walk in. You only pay around €5 coming back from Gozo. There are bus stops at the other end.
Loved the hotel. Loved Gozo. We explored Malta and are very very glad we chose not to stay there. Cheap and tacky in compression to the lovely, laid back Gozo.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Hotel is ideally situated overlooking the fishing hamlet of Mgarr Harbour and the surrounding verdant valley. The hotel enjoys panoramic views of Comino and Malta across the Gozo channel. Viewed from above, the to and fro of the fishing boats and the incomparable vistas add a romantic touch to the excellent hospitality offered at the hotel. Guests often comment on how enjoyable these views are from the large and private sun terraces found in most rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Despegar.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mgarr
- Grand Hotel Gozo
- Grand Hotel Island Of Gozo/Mgarr, Malta