“food quality changes” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Nadur, Malta
“food quality changes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We have been eaten several times in the Restaurant and the food was good. Every time we order the same dishes as Take a Way - the do not only look different they also taste very poor.
The service is also rather slow.

• Visited June 2013

72% Recommend
London
“Not quite up to Mgarr's standards...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Far from a bad place to eat, just some way short of the excellence of the 5 other Mgarr restaurant we tried over our week in town! Some of the dishes were really good, particularly the lemon chicken. The service, though, let the meal down. Half of the main course arrived, but the other half - including, rather crucially, the rice - was delivered to the wrong table. Staff took a long time to sort this out, and weren't at all apologetic. In the meantime we started eating what was there - as you do - but without the rice it was like Ant without Dec (or something). The belatedly-arriving rice was also not that nice. So...fine, and we possibly caught them on an off-night, but given the fantastic eateries 2 minutes away, maybe try somewhere else?

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Perth, Australia
“Under pressure but the food saves it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Went on a bad night service-wise. Something wrong out the back and way more people than you'd expect on a Monday night saw long delays. However, it wasn't hard to work out that there was a problem so we just waited patiently. The food certainly makes up for it. I've been travelling to Asia since the late 70s and had innumerable Chinese meals and this was up with the best, 000s of miles from where I'd expect it. Crisp, tasty dishes and far from the common stodge you get in many Chinese outlets. Wine prices not too bad either.

Service rating based on the quality of service with the delay ignored.

The waiter/maitre'd did apologise for the delays but there wasn't much he could do.

I would definitely return.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gozo
“small portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I went to the Huan Yuan rest last weekend. I cant say that food wasnt really good but I felt little bit dissappointed with the portions when compared with the prices, Usually the staff offers even a discount for those who spend more then 50 euro . I spent 65 euro and I havent got any discount not even a coffee. I would like to send a message to the staff that the food is good but they have to take care for the customers too.

• Visited February 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Going to Gozo has never tasted so good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

On a planned day trip to Gozo, from Malta i decided to check out a chinese restaurant a friend had highly recommended and being right next to the ferry terminal it wasn't hard to find. I have eaten at many chinese restaurants in Malta and they never fail to disappoint me. Being from B'ham originally i was used to having an array of excellent restaurants to choose from in the chinese quarter and thought i would never get decent chinese fare again but thankfully, Huan Yuan came to my rescue! The restaurant itself is very nicely decorated and the service was good, just 1 man serving but he managed it very well. I ordered crispy duck with 5 pancakes for starters to share between 2. The duck was delicious and we were given a bonus pancake so we didnt have to fight over the 5th pancake, not sure if this was deliberate or not. Anyway, it was accompanied by the usual shredded scallions and cucmber and hoi sin sauce and displayed on a food warmer so the food was kept warm whilst we rolled our pancakes. Also the plates were served warm which i prefer. For the main, i ordered La-Zi Chicken and Szechuan Beef with special egg fried noodles and egg fried rice. I deliberately choose 2 dishes that had the hottest chilli marks as i love spicy food but all too often in malta i often get quite bland food when i ask for it to be spicy hot. Anyway, these dishes did not disappoint, full of flavour and huge portions. The La-zi chicken actually had chopped red chillis in it, to my delight! The beef wasn't as hot but a very nice spicy warmth. However, the noodles actually stole the show! They had pork, chicken and beef shredded through them, with the most amazing taste. Every dish was presented impeccably and with a carrot shaped into a peacock and flowers, etc it was a work of art to look at too! Was too full for dessert but duly accepted a free drink at the end of a fantastic meal. All in all, we only spent 45 euro for 2 people which was excellent for the quality and quantity we had. The menu choices is vast so i'm hoping to work my way through the rest of the menu. If anyone is going to Gozo, can you please bring me a takeaway back?

• Visited February 2013