“Its an experiment......DO NOT GO UNLESS YOU ARE PAID...not even” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Romance
Dining options: Reservations
Valletta
“Its an experiment......DO NOT GO UNLESS YOU ARE PAID...not even”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I believe that this restaurant was set up by the Pschyology dept to experiment on how different people react to different scenarios... whilst a "genius" is whipping up an unpalatable thesis in the kitchen.

I had tried this restaurant when they had opened a Pizzeria a year or 2 ago... the wait was so long that the pizza was wolfed down without even tasting it had vowed never to go back. Well my dear brother suggested we try it out again seem to have opened a new venue called Tam Tam Piggy.
When we arrived it seemed like we had arrived in purgatory everyone was in a state of slight chaos that strange feeling that something has gone terribly wrong and a huge coverup operation is on the way- we should have scrammed it fast but no we love punishment. We got our drinks & appetizers in the "chill out zone" after an 1hr 15 mins we were invited to our table there where approx 6 -7 tables and as yet no one was eating. A female assistant chef was happily roasting a skewered pig at the back- totally oblivious to everyone, we got our starters which were totally below average. In the meantime a frantic woman from an adjacent table stood up in a desperate plea to try and attract food towrds her table.... another table of 6 just stood up and left.... An other 30 mins passed 2 main courses arrived - pork pie- their idea of a pork pie is a layer of burnt charcoal black potatoes floating in a swill of very fatty pork.... anyway one had 3rd degree burns & was sent back meanwhile we were still waiting to get our roast pork which was only 3 metres away from us... but no the girl was not parting with any pork she wanted it all to herself..... basically they have concluded that there is a limit to human patience. Please do not go there & spare yourself some stress & money.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fine Location - Occasionally Fine Food to Match (But Not Always)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

Mistra Bay and the palazzo that houses Claude Camilleri's quaint restaurant is a great place to spend for a long lunch (the recalcitrant service generally guarantees that) or dinner - although the bay is enjoyed best in the day or with some early evening light. The menu is entertaining but often fails to deliver the punch one expects given the price, billing, and descriptions on the menu. Far too often the food underwhelms with a lack of flavor or care in preparation. Then there are the small miracles that keep brining you back- the best panacotta in Malta, excellent homegrown salads, traditional Maltese samplers, solid wine list, and the sometimes exceptional fish and meat (note these are just as often misses as hits.) If Claude is around the experience is markedly better as he'll leave you to try his latest kitchen noodlings and tend to your wants personally. The imported staff have no such affinity for either the restaurant or its patrons. The prices are extraordinarily high for the inconsistency you encounter - but all that said, its still worth a visit for the view, ambience and possibilities of intriguing cuisine.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
london
“Everything, location, winelist, service, food, humour was just right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

We have been to the place twice, once for lunch and another for dinner. There is nothing to fault. the food had passion written all over it, the desserts (you have to leave room for them, they are impressively good) were out of this world.
although the food is seriously good, the chef does not take himself too seriously - the humour hits you right when you least expect it.
The wine list had more crosses on it than an overcrowded cemetry and new wines were added in by hand. impressive too. Cheval Blanc, Mouton Rothschilds and a vast selection of champagnes. Quirky, personal but very funny. You cannot help enjoy it.
Service was moderate - friendly but not overbearing. when they are busy they seem to suffer a bit, but we did not mind. we were in good company and we enjoyed the pace. you do not go there for a quick lunch or dinner. you go there to enjoy the experience and it was a memorable experience indeed.
Where would you find such an idyllic location? the green hills, the blue seas, the lavender and the olive trees.
We had perfectly cooked fish once and very good pork and beef the second time.
For us it was the best gastronomic experience on the island.
We have recommended to our friend and they agree with us - this is a gem of a place.
don't go there for mediocrity. go to have fun and take someone fun with you.
Loved it. Loved everything about it.

Malta
“Not the evening I had hoped for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

My girlfriend and I ate at Palazzo Santa Rosa last night, a long awaited treat after a hectic business trip to some of the less spectacular parts of Europe.

It was my first trip to the Restaurant, but since moving to Malta two years ago I’ve heard mumblings about the place. Chef Camilleri writes a monthly article style advert in the Air Malta in-flight magazine where his strong devotion to gastronomy comes across loud and clear. Actually if you read the most recent piece (Feb 2009) his arrogance towards customers that don’t share his highly refined palate also takes centre stage.

Indeed his use of the words ‘then don’t come to a place like Palazzo Santa Rosa’ towards someone whose culinary appreciation is, in Chef C’s opinion limited, really did draw a line in the sand for me. Either this man is a temperamental genius modelled after the Pierre-Whites of the kitchen world, or he has issues with pretentiousness.

Well we arrived slightly early and after working out how to enter the restaurant (the front door sticks and appeared to be locked to us) we were greeted warmly, given a choice of table and handed the menus.

The menus are very nicely done, printed on good quality card with differences in the copy depending on if you are male or female. Only the male menu carries pricing details which is a really nice touch and one which amused us both no end.

However, whilst I am no prude the use of the F word in one of the lengthy anecdote like descriptions of a dish was a little over the top. Whilst this is presented as the initial F then the required number of random symbols, it has no place on a menu in a restaurant which aspires to a Michelin star. I agree that a good steak shouldn’t be overcooked but frankly there is no need to swear about it to paying customers.

Perhaps Chef C really is a temperamental gastronomic genius, well we shall soon see.

Whilst we were looking over the menus and wine list we were offered a bread basket with a small bowl of olive oil which I understand they make on the premises from their home grown Olives. This was without doubt one of the finest olive oil’s I’ve ever tasted, if not the best. We asked for a refill once we had rapidly worked our way though the initial offering. I cant say enough good things about this wonderful olive oil.

I ordered a ravioli of Beef, Pork and Veal and a cut of milk fed Veal cooked Sous-Vide, a technique involving vacuum sealing ingredients and heating to a consistent temperature in a precisely controlled water bath. Sous-Vide is a technique championed by three star chefs such as Thomas Keller and Heston Blumenthal so I was very interested to see what Chef C could do.

My partner ordered Asparagus soup to start followed by a Vegetable Risotto (ah the joys of dating a vegetarian). To drink a bottle of 2000 Guado al Tasso was ordered. I did see a favourite of mine, the Tignanello on the wine list but sadly they only had the 2005 which is a disappointment after the superb 2001 and 2004 vintages, perhaps in a few years it will improve.

Sadly this is where the evening starts to disappoint. The wine remained in the bottle and a decanter was not in sight. The wine did greatly improve with aerating, slow as that process was whilst the wine remained in the bottle, but the slight sediment in the final glasses could have been avoided by using a decanter.

As we were enjoying the initial glass of this nice but not life changing wine the starters arrived. A small bowl of ravioli appeared, presentation was not overly clever but I was really looking forward to the dish. Sadly it was bland, the filling was overly dry and lacked anything specific in taste, even seasoning. The tomato and garlic sauce was nice but again had little wow factor. I was expecting something more spectacular after all I have read about Palazzo Santa Rosa.

My partner’s soup was pronounced as nice and that was as much as I delved into that. It is fair to say at this point that I began to suspect that a recent bout of flu had impacted my palate but it didn’t seem to affect my enjoyment of the olive oil or the wine so I have my doubts about that.

In due course the Veal arrived. My initial thoughts were that the presentation was dull (a lump of mashed potato with the Veal presented on top), accompanied by some well cooked but unimaginative vegetables (the obligatory carrot and broccoli combination, still they were very well cooked, nice and firm to the bite).

The Veal was also bland. Now Veal is a subtle meat to begin with, particularly when it is milk fed and cooked sous vide, which will not develop any charred notes from the meat. Saying that there should have been some taste, again there was very little. When you cook sous vide you have to be very careful with seasonings as if you used a conventional amount of say salt or garlic then those flavours would be overly present in the finished dish. I suspected that either the Chef had used too little or no seasoning at all (and also in the sauce) or that my palate was completely shot from my recent bout of the flu.

The tasteless dish began to turn on me, after all who would want to chew though mouthful after mouthful of insipid food. I left about half of the dish and turned my attention to desert.

Chef C had written about his Chocolate Fondant and Pistachio Ice cream dish in the most recent Air Malta in-flight magazine so I promptly ordered it along with a glass of a local desert wine. In short, the desert was superb, the flavour of the Pistachio’s came through with a beautiful closing milky creamy note. The Fondant was delightful, light with a pleasantly rich chocolate flavour (as you would expect).

It was this dish as well as the olive oil that make me wonder if my palate was fine and the starter and main course were indeed quite bland and not a product of my having had the flu recently.

I have read in one of Chef C’s in-flight articles (I spend a fair bit of time on good old Air-Malta) that he aspires to a Michelin Star and appears quite proud of the fact that his is the only restaurant in Malta to be reviewed by the guide.

In my limited experience of this restaurant I would say there is a ways to go before he could challenge for his first star. The food and presentation aren’t at the level yet. I ate at Marcus Wearing at the Berkley last month and if Chef C wants to cook in those circles then he has a lot to achieve (if indeed that is what he wants).

The presentation of the food was unimaginative and the food seemed bland. The wine could have really benefited from decanting. Finally, and this might seem like a petty issue, but if you want to install in your guests a sense of luxury, of being present in a temple to gastronomy, then a little more expenditure on quality crockery, glassware and flatware wouldn’t go amiss. The cafeteria style flatware and crockery didn’t help set the tone I believe the chef is aiming for.

Finally a word on pricing, I’ve read several reviews of Palazzo Santa Rosa where people complained about the price. I couldn’t disagree more. I didn’t pay particular attention to the cost of the dishes, however when the bill arrived, a tad under Two Hundred Euros I scanned the bill carefully as I honestly believed they had left the wine off the menu. This wasn’t the case and all of our order had been accounted for correctly. As far as I’m concerned the restaurant is very moderately priced and is certainly no more expensive than many of the other better quality restaurants in Malta.

To sum up, I believe that Palazzo Santa Rosa is over rated, however I’ll probably eat there again in case it was my palate that was jaded and not the food that was quite as bland as it seemed. I think I’ll try a lunch seating in Summer to really appreciate the setting in all its glory. Until then, I won’t be recommending it to any close friends any time soon.

Northamptonshire UK
“The slow,slow food experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

Well we made our booking for the 28th of December excited at the reviews we read in the good housekeeping uk magazine.We liked the idea slow dining but when it took an hour to even look at the menu that did ring alam bells.The drink arrived with great speed but then it was 2 hours to get a starter and my melon and parma ham was never going to tax the chef was it? I must say the rest of the party enjoyed their first course but when you are hungry even the tablecloth looks enticing. The waitor gave us all the house lecture which was if you want meat it will only be cooked rare ok that was fine so when the only steak ordered arrived well done we were perplexed somewhat. Slow food is one thing but just sitting there for 3 hours at lunch without a sniff of the main course is just out of order and especially when local fish is featured and one of our party was only offered Norwegian Salmon as all the other fish had been taken.We all felt the kitchen was working under some strain and indeed the waitor indicated so.I felt Palazzo Santa Rosa did not live up to all the hype shame really.On my return flight home I noticed an article about the chef and the restaurant in the flight magazine for Air Malta what I read had little resemblance to my peronal experience it sounded so good but not on the day I went sadly.