“My Mr Peanut” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Enfield, United Kingdom
“My Mr Peanut”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

When I was returning home from my lovely holiday at the Pergola Hotel in Malta I accidentally forgot my best friend Mr Peanut who ran away to stay at the pool. I was very sad when I got home to England without him and my mummy contacted the hotel to ask them to find him, they found him lounging by the pool having fun in the sun but after a few days Mr Peanut became sad and started to shrink in the sun from loneliness and lack of my love so the hotel arranged to send him back to me on a long journey by plane and sea. I was so happy when he came home. Thank you Pergola Club Hotel & Spa. From a very happy 5 year old.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Polish first
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

First I will start by saying we had a great holiday - that helps. Like all pedants there were a handful of things that did not work for us at the Hotel but these are really personal to us. For example, the breakfast for us was quite poor. This is in part because we do not eat meat - but both my wife and daughter had loads of olives (which were amazing) and the honey and jam were also great. We did not have cereal because we did not like the milk - but that is again a personal issue and not one from the hotel. The fruit was a little ropey but this was seasonal rather than the hotel being at fault. I also did not like the cheese but hey that is my own problem! My only real complaint was the coffee - as a real coffee drinker I was disappointed but hey, the whole island (apart from one place) seems to be a coffee desert! Again - apologies for being the pedant on this. To the room - really good size for the three of us - really well equipped. The beds were comfy, the room cleaned regularly, the balcony nice, the view was also good and even though the air con was noisy it was efficient and kept us cool. The staff were just so good....we cannot praise them enough. Everyone without exception was friendly, helpful and efficient. Whenever we asked, we got. I want to say a special thank you to quite a few members of staff but then that would probably be unfair to all the others so suffice to say that we were very happy. The pools were clean - if a little small - but again that is a personal issue. I like to swim and couldn't really do laps as it was too small. But laying in the pool was really nice. We did visit friends at a couple of other hotels during out stay and their pools were also small but also very cloudy so we had the advantage! The hotel itself is quite a maze being on two sides of the street. It is, like the whole of the island, built on the side of a steep hill which is a lot of fun. It has certainly helped with my training for my trek through Nepal next year! The first 48 hours were an adventure navigating through passageways and taking lifts up and down....but all part of the adventure. We did have problems with the buffet lunch / dinner again because of our dietary issues. We knew it might be a problem and it was but it is our issue not that of the hotel. The variety was really good in all honesty; just nothing most of the time that we could eat. Also, as a non-pasta / pizza eater I was a little out on my own. But again that is my problem and not a poor reflection on the hotel who would make me something if I had asked for it. The hotel has two "outside" restaurants that can be used by the half boarders as well as the general public. Da Ciccio, downstairs in the Pergola, was really great of an evening. ALL the staff were so helpful, friendly, fun and informative (shout out to James and Meline (apologies if that is a wrong name but I did not want to glare at your chest where your badge was!)). Again, the olives were sublime and the fish was stunning. Try the soups which are really great! Tosca, which is attached to the Pergola's sister hotel the Solana, was also really good but usually busier so the poor staff were always rushed off their feet. We are on holiday so never in a rush and as such I always find it amusing seeing and hearing people get impatient for their food and drinks when they really should be chilling, chatting and generally relaxing! Mellieha has a lot of really good restaurants - some quite expensive and some not so. We tried Bouquet Garni which earned its "Best Restaurant" moniker via this site and it is well deserved. The family run restaurant is quaint and the food excellent. It was our treat to ourselves and it was worth every penny. Like all good gourmands, my wife was only really there for the dessert and she was really rather pleased with the white chocolate crème brulee. But back to the Pergola. I think on reflection that if I was to come back to Malta, I would almost definitely stay here again. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who asked and the only reason I give it 4 rather than five is because I think nothing usually can achieve 5 but the Pergola is pretty close to it. Fun holiday and great service!

Room Tip: they say that you should ask for a sea view room but just ask for a room not next to the lifts and o...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We had a great time at this hotel. We stayed in a self catering 1 bedroom apartment with 3 kids aged 17,15 & 11. There was plenty of room and kitchen facilities were great. The only downside was the water from the shower leaked through the glass panel onto the floor. The room was cleaned daily and we were given clean towels too. The pool areas were great, although it was August it was not too busy. We ate out most nights but we did stay at the hotel and have the BBQ night. Food and entertainment that night was great. We tried different cocktails each night from the cavebar they are all lovely but a bit expensive. Staff were very helpful and willing to help out anyway they could. The town of Mellieha was lovely, lots of places to eat and drink. We loved Mellieha bay. It was busy but we enjoyed sitting on the small promenade and swimming from there. There's lots of jelly fish. My family got stung serveral times. They felt like stinging nettle stings. We went to the blue lagoon, although beautiful it was too packed, nowhere to sit. My family swam from the boat. We tried some of the local food from the bakery. The pastizzi's were great as were the small Maltese loaves filled with spinach and tuna! Overall a great holiday and we would return to this hotel.

Stayed August 2014
Romsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Family of 5, we stayed B&B in a one-bedroom apartment with sofa beds for 8 nights. Great view from the balcony over the larger of the two outdoor pools and across to the church and beyond to the sea with Comino and Gozo in the distance. You can actually buy this view as a postcard, it's that good.

Room was clean and comfortable, only let down by noisy air con unit in the bedroom, which when switched off revealed a loud hum from electrical equipment on the roof. (I raised this with the hotel but nothing they could do about it so advise avoiding rooms 3, 4, 5). The apartment had fridge, hob and microwave so we ate in some nights.

Hotel is built into the side of a hill. You enter reception at level 1, which also has one of the outdoor pools. Then there is one floor above (level 0 where we were) and six floors below (2-7). The larger outdoor pool plus Cave Bar, is on level 3, as is the indoor pool. There was never a problem getting a couple of sun loungers around either of the pools. There is a 'gym' on level 3 but the equipment is poor.

There are several good restaurants in Mellieha so we were glad we weren't staying half board. Our favourite restaurant was Ta Randi, great food and large portions. The Friday night BBQ at the hotel is good value and worth doing. Breakfast had plenty of choice, but little variation over the 8 days.

Staff were excellent and very helpful throughout.

Hotel is 200 yards away from the main street in Mellieha, where you can get buses to various places. Tickets are Euro 1.50 for a day pass so great value. We caught buses to the beach at Mellieha Bay (better than walking for 15 mins in the heat), to Valletta (1 hour away) and north to Marfa to catch the boat to the Blue Lagoon on Comino. Buses also go to Cirkewwa for the ferry for Gozo, and to just about everywhere on the island if you want to change. Weekly pass is Euro 6.50. All the buses have air-con.

Beach at Mellieha Bay was crowded, but not unbearably so. It was a Maltese bank holiday though when we went there! The beaches at Golden Bay and Ghajn Tuffieha look better.

On level 7 of the hotel is Go Dive who run scuba courses for beginners and experts. Euro 75 for a half day beginners course which covers pool-based training and a sea dive. We all did the beginners course and our sea dive was at Cirkewwa.

The guys at the dive centre put us on to a V & K Enterprises, a small grocers a couple of streets away, run by a lovely couple. We did our shopping there but also hired a car very cheaply - 2 days for Euro 50. We used it to drive to Mdina one evening (best time to see the old walled capital) and took it on the ferry for a day trip to Gozo (highlight being snorkelling at the spectacular rocky coast by Dwejra).

Overall, I can recommend Pergola Club Hotel and Mellieha as a great place to stay in Malta.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view of sea and church, avoid rooms 3,4,5 on top floor though.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

As a family of 3 we stayed in a deluxe studio apartment on half board. The room was spacious and we had a great view over the pool and out to sea with a spectacular view of the lovely church in the village.
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Our flight was delayed on the way out so we arrived late at night and had missed dinner. However, the hotel staff had prepared cold platters of food and left them in our room on our arrival which was a lovely and welcome touch.
The buffet evening meals on the covered terrace were delicious with loads of choice and the Friday barbecue is highly recommended. Breakfast was great again with plenty of choice from fruit, yogurt, pastries and cake through to cold meats or even a full cooked breakfast. Service was buffet style and supplies were constantly topped up. The hotel was immaculately clean and even the apartments were serviced daily, including fresh towels - a pleasant surprise for an apartment stay. We booked direct and were given several extras such as free fast WiFi in our room and fruit and a bottle of wine when we arrived.
Little touches such as the lady who made up the room arranging our daughter's soft toys carefully on her bed every morning made our stay really special.
There are two outdoor pool areas and an indoor pool which again were kept very clean.
The hotel is perfectly placed to walk into the town where all necessary amenities can be found - banks, pharmacy, bakery, supermarkets, post office, gift shops, newsagents and a tourist information office.
We visited in August during festa time and had a great time soaking in the friendly and fun atmosphere.
We would certainly recommend the hotel and the area as a base for a great family holiday.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We had a lovely time in Malta and at this Hotel. The staff were very helpful and polite who always seemed to go out of their way to help. A special thanks goes to Rudi who worked on the reception, she was particularly helpful.

We were half board and the food was great especially the BBQ night which was very popular.

Rooms were clean and functional if a little tired, However I think we were in the older part of the hotel.

Loved the quirky layout and got lost a good few times on the first few days but got there in the end.

Drinks and snacks were reasonably priced and no nasty hidden charges. However, there is an extra charge and deposit for the room safe 20 Euros for 10 days

Easy bus access to the beach if you don’t want to walk (20mins walk, but uphill on the way back is a bit of a struggle) Buses get packed at peak times and waited over an hour to get one and ended up walking in the end

Thanks

peter

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
ManagementPergola, Manager at Pergola Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for dedicating some time to share your positive feedback with all of us. We appreciate your valuable comments, and we are very pleased to read that you had a pleasant time at both the Pergola Club Hotel & Spa, as well as in Malta.

We trust that thanks to this positive experience, you will reconsider our Islands and the Hotel for a next visit, very soon!

Best Regards,

Pierre Agius
Rooms Division Manager
Aghadowey, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Just returned from a brilliant week staying half board at the Pergola. Overall experience was really good, room clean and kept clean all week, wide choice of good food at both breakfast and evening meal. During the week made good use of both pools, they were always clean. What made it stand out for us was the welcoming and friendly staff, nothing being too much trouble, this was from every member of staff we met. One evening our air conditioning stopped working, on noting it with reception on our way out the next morning, we returned at lunch time to find it sorted. although being a busy time this hotel near seemed too busy, a very relaxing week.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your kind comments. Not only, you chose us at the Pergola Club Hotel & Spa for your holidays, but you have also spoiled us with this brilliant review!

Thank you for your excellent feedback on all the Hotel’s aspects, as these comments will continue to motivate us further towards maintaining and improving our service and products.

We now look forward to welcome you back to Malta and to the Pergola Club Hotel & Spa very soon.

Best Regards,

Pierre Agius
Rooms Division Manager

Been to Pergola Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!