“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Solana Hotel

You added Solana Hotel to your Saves list
Solana Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gorg Borg Olivier St, Mellieha, Island of Malta MLH06, Malta   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE WI-FI!
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Czech republic
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for over a week and it was a lovely stay. The hotel is very nice, well presented, good facilities, located in the centre of Mellieha town just few meters from bus station - one is on the other side of the road of hotel entrance, the other is few meters away.

Hotel is very nice, clean, spacious and it looks quite new. Particularly the roof top pool is amazing - with exclusive view on the bay and Mellieha town itself. The surrounding area contains few good restaurants, pharmacy, bank, shops - everything you might need.

Breakfast was included in the room price and was adequate with a lot of choice. We ordered also dinner and it was definitely worth it.

Free WiFi internet connection available in the lobby. There's also a computer with internet access but I highly do not recommend it (screen flickering and really terrible keyboard - never seen anything so bad).

Great and I would like to repeat it once more - GREAT staff. Especially Yanika was very helpful in solving our toothache problem (finding pharmacy opened on Sunday etc.).

Nearest beach is about 2 bus stops away or 20 min. walk.

This hotel unless to Pergola hotel (Solana sister's hotel) deserves its 4 stars. I can't imagine being transferred to Pergola after booking room in Solana. Not surprised that the majority of negative feedback for this hotel comes from overbooking and people getting room in different hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Polish first
ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We have stayed at the Solana Hotel for 2 nights between 29.09.09 – 01.10.09 & again from 05.10.09 – 07.10.09. We booked directly through Daniela and Ritienne who work at the Reservations Department. Their efficiency was fantastic and we immediately felt at ease booking this Hotel.
We had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and were a bit concerned at first but we totally changed our perception when we spoke to Daniela and Ritienne and we realized that we were absolutely right from the moment that we stepped in reception.

The Hotel is situated in the centre of the village opposite restaurants, buses, and next door to a bank! The location is just PERFECT! We were allocated a room overlooking the street on the top floor. There was no view but we didn’t mind it at all. Our room had double glazing windows and doors and it was very quiet considering that it overlooked Mellieha’s busiest road!

The food at the Solana is something not to be missed. We were on Bed & Breakfast basis but always ate at the Hotel. On Wednesday they do Maltese Night at the Bellini Restaurant and it was just fabulous! Definitely worth it! We also ate a couple of times at the Tosca Restaurant – the new fine-dining restaurant. The food abundant and the price just right!

The Hotel also has an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. The indoor pool is huge and very warm! There is also a Jacuzzi which you could use free of charge. Isabelle at the Spa Harmonique was fantastic. Always ready for a chat and really goes into explaining things making our Spa session more of a lesson! This is typical of the staff at the Solana..from the waiters to the cleaners they were all smiling and ready to help. We really felt welcome at the Solana Hotel and we will definitely return!!

Thanks for all the staff which made our holiday special!
See you soon Solana :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
The Mediterranean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at La Tosca Restaurant which forms part of the Solana Hotel in Mellieha. The food was great and the service friendly and efficient. The feedback from our guests was extremely positive and as one of the guests remarked the whole evening was "faultless". All our needs were capably handled by Jonathan Grima who is the Head Chef and by Elaine who is the General Manager of the hotel.Although just opened we are certain that La Tosca will establish itself among the best restaurants on the island because of its great food, a warm ambiance, efficient and friendly staff and overall good value for money.

• Stayed October 2009
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

I do not normally write reviews but my experience at the Solana coupled with the fact that reviews from previous visitors had helped me with my choice, prompted me to write one. The staff at the Solana are friendly and helpful and the service impeccable. The hotel is lovely, more than you would expect of a 4 star with its shiny clean walls and marble like steps. Our room was spacious albeit overlooking the main road which was a little noisy when the patio door was open. The evening entertainment in the lobby was refreshing and relaxing.
My husband and I and two preteen girls had a fantastic time at the hotel. The hotel staff embraces all its guests and treats each one with the utmost respect..
We were half board and there was a great variety and abundance of food daily, so we were spoilt for choice..
I've rated rooms as four because we stayed for 8 nights and the room was cleaned daily, however even though the beds were made, the bed linen was never changed.
I booked a wonderful massage from the lovely Gozo lady in the spa located in the basement of the hotel.
The hotel was a good base from which to explore Gozo and Malta with its ultra friendly people. It was my first visit but I love Malta and its people and will hopefully be back.
Thank you Solana staff for a lovely stay especially the little guy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I saw a few reviews on here saying that people had booked a room at the Solana, but for various reasons were sent to the Pergola Hotel upon check-in. I gave the Solana the benefit of the doubt and booked anyway through Expedia, I also called the hotel directly a couple of days before to confirm the booking which I was assured was ok. The trip was a present for my boyfriend's 30th birthday, so it was extra important for it to be well organised and hassle free, here's what happened:

When we went to check in, they told us we would have to stay in the Pergola Hotel as there were maintenance problems and there were no other rooms available. We were not happy with this, especially as we were told it was only a short walk away so we would be fine - the streets are very narrow and steep and you have to go up over the longest flight of stairs I have ever seen to get to the entrance, all this with luggage? After about 15mins of saying that we were not happy the guy at reception finally offered us a complimentary taxi.

Upon checking in at the Pergola we said we were not happy about being moved and could anything be done however I was told I had to wait an hour for the manager to arrive. We waited in our room for the manager and were not happy with the room at all - the bedroom window opened out into some kind of concrete shaft (about 1 square foot) so there was no natural light at all in the bedroom, the air conditioning was very loud and there was a cockroach in the bathroom which scuttled down the plughole of the sink.

At 7pm I was finally able to speak to the manager and said that I did not like the hotel at all and wanted to be moved. She said there was nothing she could do and basically it was just tough and we had no choice but to stay there, she also said she didn't understand what our problem was anyway because as far as she was concerned it was a nice hotel and our room had been upgraded - we were given a studio room with a bedroom that had no natural light and a view of a concrete shaft and a kitchen that we did not need. After about half an hour of arguing and not getting anywhere I returned to the room in tears. My boyfriend then went down to speak to her and she offered us complimentary dinner in their restaurant, which was absolutely disgusting. Unless you want pizza or a burger and chips you have a limited choice and the food was of extremely poor quality, and we still had to pay for our drinks. So our first night was a tearful, stressful washout, and we only had two nights left.

The next morning, after being kept awake most of the night by their "entertainment" which consisted of "Johnny Gee" doing bad Johnny Cash covers amongst some other wailing, we spoke to reception again and we were told that if we get our bags ready they will be taken over to Solana as everything was sorted. We were on our way out to an excursion at the time so we said we would have to do it when we got back at around lunchtime. We were told that was fine and we finally relaxed knowing that we were going to be staying in the hotel that we chose and paid for.

However, when we returned and said to reception we were going to bring our stuff down, we were told that the manager wanted to speak to us. She then came out and said that we didn't actually have a room at the Solana, even though we were told that morning that we did.

After about half an hour of going round in circles we then demanded a refund as we just wanted leave and said we would find a different hotel, they said we were welcome to leave, but they would not give us a refund. After another half hour of arguing and crying we then said that they should at least pay for us to stay in another hotel of our choice. I had my lonely planet guide and saw the Maritim hotel and said we wanted to stay there instead. The manager eventually agreed and arranged a room for us which we were grateful for, but still that was another day ruined and we only had one more night after that.

They caused a considerable amount of distress, made us feel like we were in the wrong for complaining and cast a dark cloud over what was only a short break. It also completely ruined my boyfriend's birthday.

I can't say much about the Solana seeing as we didn't get to stay there but, the Pergola is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, however it has cockroaches and as much class as a resort in Benidorm.

I cannot fault the staff at the Maritim hotel where we ended up. They were accommodating, helped with restaurant reservations, excursions, taxis. They have a beautiful spa and it's everything a 4 star hotel should be.

Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

It's gambling booking a stay at the Solana Hotel. You don't know if you are booking for the Solana or it's sister hotel the Pergola. We booked at the Solana, but they just sent us to the Pergola when we arrived because of double booking. Many have experienced the same thing, though with various results. The hotel gives a different excuse to everyone it happens to. For us we eventually got an okay room at the Pergola, but the only compensation we got for their mess was a non working internet and a free buffet dinner wich was awful. That is just inexuable for the Solana, and it's no way to treat it's cutomers!

Our story:
Me and my girlfriend bought a trip to Malta and booked two weeks at the Solana Hotel through expedia.no. We paid and everything was confirmed. But when we arrived at Solana Hotel, the first thing the receptionist tells us is that they have double booked us. We were later told that it was a computer breakdown right before we arrived so they had not had time to tell us, but then again each receptionist gave us a different reason... They moved us to an apartment at their sister hotel the Pergola. It was also a four star hotel and we would get the same type of room he told us. Tired after the trip and confused by the message we just stuttered yes. They gave us two small bottles of pepsi and sent us to the Pergola in a taxi. In the reception we could immediatly tell that it was an older hotel. The room they had booked for us at the Pergola was right above the reception with a balcony view to a wall five meters away, holes in the ceiling, two big cockroaches in the doorway, really bad air and the air condition didn't work. We complained and the receptionist gave us another room for one night only as he said. We said yes and thought we could fix everything the day after. The room he gave us for that night was acctually really nice and big, and with a balcony view to the pool and ocean. The next morning another receptionist called and said she would give us another room after breakfast. Thank god we wouldn't have to go back to the first room at least. The room we got, and would spend the rest of our vacation in, was also nice with a balcony view to the smaller outdoor pool at the Pergola (no ocean view). Some days after we gave it another go for getting a room at Solana for the last week and some compensation for their mess. We were told that it was impossible getting a room at the Solana. Eventually tired of arguing with the staff we settled with free wireless internet at our room and a free dinner. The internet had a so bad connection it was useless. The dinner proved to be a dinner buffet at their hopeless Pergola restaurant. That was the best we could get it seemed wich of course was a really bad compensation for they just having their way with us and sending us to the Pergola Hotel.

We also asked them if this had happend before to people booking rooms at their hotels. They denied this, but strangely enough it is many people here at trip advisor telling that they have experienced this. Lying makes it seem like they are covering for something. Is it a plan they have for getting both of their hotels fully booked? It seems obvious that it is.

We visited the Solana at some occasions and it looked like a modern hotel with high standard restrooms (wich can be rare at Malta). We tried the café in the lobby; awfull food. The bar is okay. The service is not the best. The free internet in the lobby works fine but is not so fast. Solanas location in Mellieha is central and good, but too get to the beach you would have to take the bus since it's a very steep hill down to Mellieha bay and the drivers drive like crazy.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Overall the hotel is generally clean and pleasant, and most of the staff were also very pleasant and helpful. It is situated on the main street in Mellieha, so the rooms at the front of the building can be noisy; although I was told by another guest they are much larger rooms, and have the best balconies - and probably the best view. Many of the rooms even with balconies have very poor views, and it appeared that most rooms either looked out onto the balcony opposite or onto brick walls.
Mellieha is a lovely place, but if you want the beach, then you would have to catch a bus down to the bay. I believe the hotel also arranges a shuttle services to the beach, which is about 10 minutes drive away. Mellieha has a regular a bus service/connection to most major places, with the bus stopping outside the hotel.
Our main gripe was that we were not given a room with a view and a balcony, which I had specified upon booking the holiday. To be fair though, I am not sure whether the mistake was with the hotel, or the online travel company that I booked through.
We had three hours to wait for our room to be serviced upon arrival, and during our wait we observed several guests complaining about their rooms. I am not sure what their complaints were about, but they were certainly not happy.
When we were finally given our key, I questioned the receptionist to make sure we had a balcony room, and she was very evasive, saying we should go up and have a look for ourselves. When we got to the room we found it had no balcony, just a tiny window approximately 3x4 ft, which looked out onto a tiny squared area approximately 9 x 30ft. On three sides we looked onto brick walls and directly opposite we looked onto the balcony of the room opposite. The only way to see daylight and the sky, was to literally lean out of the window and and twist to look upwards. The plus side was that the room was very quiet, as the outside area was not accessible.
The receptionist was not the least bit interested when we explained that we had booked, and paid extra, for a balcony room with a view. Fortunately, however, another very nice and helpful member of staff called Rebecca came to our aid. She could not offer us another room as the hotel was completely booked up, but she did however give us vouchers for free evening meals at the hotel for the seven nights we were there, as a way of compensation.
We accepted the offer as we had no choice, but seeing the positioning of the balconies of many of the other rooms, we probably would not have gained much by moving rooms anyway. Our room (1401) was not as big as some, and obviously quite dark with no natural lighting, due to the small window and the outlook etc.
We found that the one double wardrobe which contained the safe and shelving did not give enough hanging space. We also struggled to get costumes etc.dry in the room with not having a balcony. The room however, was overall clean and tastefully furnished, although I did have to ask to have the top throwover changed when we arrived as it was grubby on the underside, and smelt of the previous occupant(s), as did the pillows.
The food, I did not personally like, it was o.k, but nothing special, but this may just be the way it is cooked in Malta. We didn`t eat out to compare with anywhere else, but some days the buffet breakfast was overcooked, and some days undercooked.
My final gripe is the beauty treatment. I paid 70 euros for the full works, massage, facial, and legs wrapped, with a free cuticle treatment thrown in. I was told the treatment would last 2.5 to 3 hrs, when in fact it lasted less than 2 hours. The girl was not in a good mood when I arrived, complaining that she could not get hold of maintenance as usual, and that there were always maintenance issues at the hotel. She did not seem particualry interested in my treatment, and I felt the whole thing was rushed. Deffinately not worth the amount I paid. I expected to come out feeling on top of the world, but in actual fact I came out feeling let down and worse than when I went in!
I would agree with the other comments on here, probably only a three star hotel by British standards, but certainly overall it is basically a clean hotel, in which most of the staff are doing their best to help holiday makers enjoy their stay in Malta.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Solana Hotel? Share your experiences!