Myself and Mrs Doc decided to stay here on a whim as we travelled home to Malta from a very successful and pleasant stay on Gozo in the Kempinski and Maria Giovanna Guest house; both of which were vastly superior to what we experienced here. We chose the Maritim only because there was a penthouse suite with jacuzzi available and we thought this would be a nice end to our trip. For a spa room, we would usually choose the excellent Fortina Spa in Sliema, and could easily have done so for just a few € more. However the Maritim was on our route home and it was this that influenced our decision to stay.
We arrived early and checked in and were told that the room would not be ready until 1400. This was no issue and we took ourselves off for some lunch at a nearby restaurant. We returned some two hours later after 1500, collected our key and made our way up to our room. Rather frustratingly, our key card did not work necessitating a return to reception for a replacement. On entering the suite we were a little disappointed to find that both bedrooms where furnished with single beds; despite them being pushed together, they were all made up with single bedding. This was just a minor point but for a penthouse suite the finishing touches, charm and elegance are all lacking and not at all like the pictures on the hotel's own website showing fruit baskets, wine, bathrobes etc. The terrace area was not laid out, the parasol was laid out on the floor and was grubby and damaged. Potential guests should note that the jacuzzi and terrace are not secluded and are overlooked both from above and from neighbouring buildings.
The USP for this room is presumably the lauded 'jacuzzi/heated whirlpool' unfortunately we found this to be in a very poor state of repair and dubious maintenance. The filter was exposed, and judging by the copious dead flies in evidence not functioning. The water was cold, some of the jets were damaged and the temperature gauge unreadable/melted. There is a tatty, homemade notice attached to the tub informing guests that the pool is not to be used on anything more than the lowest setting. We requested a call from Maintenance who informed us that he had turned the pool on early that day to allow adequate time for heating but, 'Someone must have switched it off again'. He offered to inconvenience us further by draining the pool and refilling it with warm water only after attempting to persuade us that the stone cold, fly infested water was 'fine'. The solution to the fly issue was addressed by the arrival of one of the housekeeping staff carrying a can of insecticide spray!
As this was rapidly descending into the realms of farce we chose to check out and return to our home in nearby Mgarr. However, obtaining a simple refund required entering into a battle of wills with the receptionist who initially informed us that a refund would not be possible. On asking to speak to a representative from management we were told this was also impossible as they were all in a 'meeting'; judging from other negative reviews here, this appears to be the standard hotel reply to requests to speak with a manager. After much insistence a rather surly gentleman appeared, listened nonchalantly to our complaints, before waving his hand in the air and instructing the receptionist to 'Give them their money back'. At no time did we receive an apology nor was it possible to have our refund paid back onto our credit card; this was paid back in cash.
This whole sorry scenario was accompanied by much eye-rolling and under breath muttering in Maltese. Mrs Doc requested more than once that English be spoken when discussing our complaint with colleagues. We left disappointed, deflated and with a rather sour taste in our mouths. Having adopted Malta as our home we have learned that some establishments will always cater for tourists with low expectations of standards and customer service. This hotel displayed this 'bloody tourists' attitude to a tee. We are resident in Malta and really should not have to explain this in order to obtain a reasonable standard to service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Maritim Antonine Hotel and Spa, a supreme 4 star hotel, perched on a perfect spot overlooking the terraced hillsides, from which one can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views and unwind for a few days in luxury.Here at the Maritim we provide the best services for the best price in Malta. That’s our guarantee.The Maritim is nestled in the small picturesque town of Mellieha and is a sumptuous retreat for the business traveller, or a luxurious indulgence if you want to spoil yourself or a loved one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Antonine Hotel And Spa
- Maritim Antonine Hotel Mellieha
- Maritim Antonine Resort
- Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa Malta/Mellieha