“Very Good Location and An Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   George Borg Olivier Street, Mellieha, Island of Malta MLH 1021, Malta   |
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
“Very Good Location and An Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Hotel is centrally located and is beautifully decorated.As soon as we arrived we were greeted by a charming lady at the reception who offered us extra towels for when we use the pool.Room was very clean and spacious. In the evening we had a lavish buffet and breakfast was also very abundant.
We had to check out at 11am but if we wanted to, we could have stayed longer and made use of the pool.I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

1,039 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

To understand this hotel you may want to know that the hotel rooms are located in two different buildings, the main building and a secondary building which is on the opposite side of the road, located above a bar / restaurant.

We’ve stayed in this hotel twice, and when booking we didn’t know which building we’d be located in. The first time we stayed in an “internal room” in the main building and the second time we stayed in a room in the second building.

Both rooms where of high standard, with a comfortable double bed and very nice bathroom. On our second stay we had a balcony which gave us a lovely view of the sea.

If your room is located in the secondary building you will be directed to it from the main reception and will have to go down in the lift, walk through an underground passageway (you are crossing under the street at this point) and then get another lift back up to your room in the second building. Some people have complained of a damp smell in the underground passageway. It is true that you can detect a damp smell but it is not overwhelmingly unpleasant, and you don’t have to pass through here very often.

Happily we found that there is a door by the bar / restaurant on the street level which takes you straight into the secondary building, so you don’t have to travel through the reception and underground tunnel to reach your room. This is very convenient.

The booklets left in the room say you have to pay extra for wi-fi, but when we asked at the reception they were able to give us a passcode which gave us access to the internet in our room for free for three hours at a time, so we went to the reception each day to get a new passcode.

The breakfast room is located by the garden of the main building, which is below street level. It is a very pleasant room and the breakfasts where a nice buffet-breakfast. When we first visited (a few years ago in July) I loved the breakfasts, there was lots of variety: hot cooked food, lovely selection of cheeses & meats, fresh fruit, warm waffles, cereal and much more. However, we did notice that in our recent visit (which was off-peak) about a third of the breakfast trays where left empty and the variety was reduced, and the cooked breakfast was only warm (not hot). I’m not sure if this was a reflection on the time of year, occupancy of the hotel or if the breakfasts have declined in general. There was still plenty to choose from though and good quality, nothing to complain about with the inexpensive price we paid for the bed and breakfast.

The hotel has a lovely terrace on the roof tip with great views and a medium sized pool.

We also ate in one of their restaurants one evening, Al Pointe, it was much better than expected, definitely worth a visit for great freshly made pizzas.

If you’re not familiar already with the location, this hotel is in a great place. Mellieħa is in the north of the island, which is known to be quieter, but it is served by reasonably good bus links and you do not feel too isolated. The hotel is located on the main street in Mellieħa village. The street is steep but there is a bus that stops very close to the hotel (on both sides of the street). Mellieħa bay is about 10-15minutes walk down the hill and is well worth a visit. Mellieħa has fantastic bus links to the Gozo ferry and in the other direction buses go to Sliema and Valletta. I think Maritim is ideally located in this lovely village. But if you’re looking for a base to visit more of the Malta then consider Sliema / St Julians / Valletta rather than anywhere in the north.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
poole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

On New Years Eve 2012, I was searching frantically on-line to try and find a weeks holiday leaving 2nd of January. Due to work obligations for the both of us, this was the only chance we would have for a holiday until August. So, after striving for many hours hoping to get a 'cheap' last minute deal, I settled on Malta and, more specifically, The Maritim Antonine Hotel in Mellieha.

Now our holiday was certainly a 'last minute' deal, if not a ridiculously cheap one. (Like those magical ones that everybody seems to find BUT you) With that in mind, providing a non- biased opinion of the hotel is problematic as we just wanted a short break and our expectations were not given time to climb. However I will try to be as Swiss as I possibly can.

We arrived mid afternoon after a brief but determined exploration of the island (I got lost). initially parking our rental car on the bridge which straddles the north side of the building. Check in was generic if a little less friendly than some places. We were given our keys and directed to 'the tunnel' and our room which was situated across the road. Our room was clean and well presented, but was one of the corner rooms in the middle of the building, overlooking Mellieha's rooftops. It was by no means a large room and at the time I did feel a little short changed that they classed it as a grade 2 room. This bugged me for a couple of days. One major positive with it was the bathroom however, which was very clean and was not as dated as the room itself. The hotel was rather busy that weekend and it was clear that due to our late booking we suffered a little as a result of this.

Half board provided us with both breakfast and dinner in the hotel's main dining hall next to the indoor pool. Although the food at both meals blew hot and cold, sometimes literally, The choice at both is superb and most people would be hard pressed not to find something palatable. Breakfast excels in this area. All public areas of the hotels are very well decorated, clean and give a professional image of the complex. The only stand out fault being the underground damp smell in the tunnel which I imagine is very difficult to remove completely. For smokers, there is a public balcony in the second building near the rooms, But be wary of the door handle, which could quite easily cause injury.

On the Sunday, halfway through our stay, The hotel emptied as most people were returning to work after New Year. This is when everything just got that little bit better.
Firstly, Due to the hotel being almost empty, All remaining evening meals were moved to the pizzeria. This came as good news to me as I had been planning to go there the following day. Our first night dining there was quite rough as it was evident the staff were struggling to arrange having paying and inclusive customers in the same place. But this is quite understandable for anybody with any experience in hospitality. All main meals in the pizzeria were good and could rival 'Pizza Express' or the like quite well.
Our second surprise came a day later when, after making my peace with our room, we were upgraded again due to the reduced occupancy of the hotel. Our new room was in the main building this time, overlooking the gardens with a proper balcony. Although the room was an improvement on our first, it was far more dated and not as clean. The bathroom wasn't as impressive and, in all honesty, the balcony's appeal was a little numbed due to the proximity to the neighbours one. These points were not important to me as it was more than we expected, but that was circumstantial to our holiday and shouldn't be ignored.
The facilities are exactly what you would expect from a place of this side. The indoor pool is nice if a little small. But like the rest of the public areas, Clean and well kept. The outdoor pool was not used as it was just not hot enough (18c in January) And the spa facilities were not used as we plain and simply didn't have time. (If you were going for a spa holiday you would spend more money anyway)
Staff at the Maritim Antonine were on the whole very friendly. To polarise it I would say the reception desk staff are at the bottom of this chart, With the bar and waiting staff topping it. Although this is me being pedantic considering it was just after the Christmas period and you could tell they had had a busy one.

Our stay there was very enjoyable for US, however I can also empathise with those who have had a less than stella time. If I remove our circumstances I would have to say that for the money, I would normally expect that little bit more. If your looking for a quick getaway, And the island itself is where you will spend most of your time, Its great. But if your looking for a bit of luxury and a nice room to laze about in, you might want to look a little further. The high end rooms of this hotel looked great but will cost quite a bit more.

BIGGEST PRO: The hotel's main bar which was manned by Don. He was friendly, professional, and ran the bar like any high end hotel bar that I have seen. A real drawing point for the hotel and well worth visiting even if your not staying there.

BIGGEST CON: The rooms: Although I did not see all the rooms the two we had are not what you expect when you see the hotel's public areas. Maybe they should blindfold you as you check in and then I don't think it would be a problem.

WORTH A TRY: The car park: If you have a small (And I mean small) rental car, take the roller-coaster down to the underground car park. It will test your driving skill if you are have anything bigger than a unicycle, but is strangely satisfying.

Room Tip: Go for the more expensive rooms if you are planning to spend time in them. The rooms lower down the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel had a high star rating but I don't really think it matched up to this at all. We were in a room on 6th floor on the other side of the road from the main hotel. You could only reach your room via a tunnel under the road which was a little spooky and a bit of a nuisance because you had to take two lifts. In our section only one lift was working which meant that once you had walked through 'cabbage corridor' (our name for the tunnel and walkway because it smelt like cabbage) you arrived at the pongy lift. So called because of the drain smell. Our room was large but very tired. The towels provided were very small and thin. The pool towels had seen better days as had the corridors and walkways in this part of the hotel. I don't think they have got round to refurbishing this bit yet. The breakfast left a lot to be desired. I am not a food freak but everything was processed, sweetened, and tinned. Not what I would expect from a four star hotel.
However the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful but I think the attention to detail in this hotel was sadly lacking.
The plus side was we had a fantastic view and the pool area and spa were lovely. We had spa treatments and they were excellent. Like other reveiwers you either love or hate Malta. I wasn't really that impressed. Meilliha ,like nearly all the places in Malta, is overun with awful awful breeze block buildings that are half finished or rundown or just plain ugly. It is such a shame because Valetta and M,dina are beautiful but ruined by 2ist century crap buildings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel. Don't have dinner because its not worth the money. Lots of res...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

As the title goes this stay was a very mixed bag. On check in the staff were ok, we got there about 1:30pm and were told the room would not be ready till three, no great shakes, we dumped our bags with reception and went exploring! When we eventually got into our room we initially thought yeah, pleasant enough and very clean, however on closer inspection the bedding although clean had holes in it!

The room (a comfort room with a garden view) itself was on the sixth floor with a balcony which gives you a pleasant view out over the pool and garden area, you can also get a village view, which is basically a view onto the main high street. The rooms facilities included a tv, mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities, a safe and a hair dryer in the bathroom. There were two wardrobes and although we asked for a double bed did in fact get two singles.

We were on a bed and breakfast basis, which was served from 07:30 -10:30 each morning and was very good. The usual English and continental food stuffs were available as well as fruit juice and tea and coffee out of a machine. The waiting staff were helpful and very pleasant.

The other facilities in the hotel are an indoor pool, with a jacuzzi. A spa offering a range of treatments and a small but well equipped fitness room and studio for classes. Outside the garden area has plenty of seating although the area around the pool is not very large and I can see it getting pretty busy in main season, however, there is a rooftop pool (although not in use until summer) which offers more space. The garden itself is well looked after and has a few gazebos dotted around for some chill time.

The village itself is quiet with a few nice restaurants, a beautiful church and a few souvenir shops and grocers, everything you need really.

Top tip: if you don't have your own transport buy a week long bus ticket they cost around twelve euros and it means you can hop on and off the buses all week long, there is no limit to the amount of journeys, we found this useful to see most of what Malta has to offer

I for one did not like Malta and I do believe people say you either love it or hate it. I liked the hotel and the village it's in, but the reception staff had a so what attitude.

So a very mixed bag.

• Stayed April 2013
Marsascala, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Had a very good deal for 3 nights around Easter time. It was a pleasant first stay, and a second one for my parents. Rooms were made everyday. When we asked for extra towels in the room they were brought in without having to ask again. The food, absolutely nothing to complain about, just not impressive. PLenty to choose from for breakfast.

Indoor pool is lovely, pool area is also nice. It is extremely well maintained - no paint peeling off or dirty walls. The room and bathroom were clean enough to be trusted to sleep and bathe in. And that is a priority for me.

i was particularly impressed with a memeber of the staff who was setting up the tables in the restaurant after breakfast. Perhaps he was the manager, i can't tell. Our daughter kept dropping the clean napkins on the neighbouring tables. Patiently he kept replacing them with clean ones, until we noticed and told her off. However, to my surpirse, he also replaced one that she had merely touched with her finger. What a high level of cleanliness and hygene!

The only pitfall, but not much of a complaint really, is that we were accomodated in a separate part of the hotel, across the road from the main hotel. To access this one had to take a lift down, cross an underground tunnel - very nicely done up i must say, and it was an adventure for the kids - and then take the lift to your floor. Alternatively, cross the road at street level. Not much of a hassle if we didnt have two little children. If the hotel needed more rooms you have to put them somewhere!

A thing i would like to draw the attention of the management to is a strange musty smell in this separate part of the hotel. You can only smell it in the common areas - corridors, tunnel.

It does not deter me from going again. A lovely hotel with pleasant staff who were genuinely willing to help out, whether to fetch plastic cups for the little ones or answer questions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the same building as the reception, not across the road.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Overall the Maritim hotel was a very pleasant hotel to spend our Easter break. The room was really nice & spacious with a great shower. The housekeeping service was good too. The only improvement they could make is that in the hall ways there is this lingering musty smell not sure from what because is not in the rooms. The breakfast is excellent. Didn't actually eat dinner at the hotel. The pool is lovely and the spa looks nice. There isn't a lot to do in meliha so it's really a good location for relaxing but no night life. It's €30 in a taxi to go to st Julian's. I would recommend the hotel

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!