Well, we were surprised when we managed to find a Luxury double room with breakfast for the price we paid. Unfortunately, at the hotel the luxury room turned out to be an internal standard room with no external windows, hence no fresh air!
I showed my Travel Republic voucher to the reception staff, pointing out the word luxury and asked for a room with fresh air ventilation. To say that the two girls were not helpful would be untrue but they were certainly not coming up with the right solution. I insisted on seeing a manager and they told me he was in a meeting. They offered me an upgrade but told me it would be an extra 20 euro's which I rejected. Eventually after much protestation they called the manager (I think) and then offered me a room across the road. I took the room key, went over to the other building and immediately noticed a not too pleasant smell. Went up to the room and saw that it was dark and had a slight unpleasant smell. The beds were terrible as they had soft sponge mattresses and one pillow had a head indentation in it. The view was of a white wall and my conclusion was that this was not luxury. I went back to the desk and told them no, no it was not suitable. They seemed surprised and I was becoming curious as to why. Anyway, I was beginning to get annoyed so I insisted on seeing the manager and this time after a five minute wait I spoke to the manager. I explained the situation very politely and he more or less blamed Travel Republic, I in turn blamed them for not giving me what my voucher stated. In the end he offered me an upgrade at a discount of 50%. Why should I pay anything if my voucher stated a luxury room?
Anyway, we trundled up to the room and to be honest it wasn't luxury at all, except one could see the sea in the distance.
I took photo's which I will upload to Trip Advisor later. The light shades were heavily stained, the main table light did not work, the soap-dish was chipped, the shower screens bottom seal was missing, some of the tile-work was broken away leaving a hole by the toilet flush handle, the bathroom door had no closer and it kept opening by itself, the pedal to the waste bin was rusty, there were hairs on the floor under the sink unit and it was dirty there too, last point was that the balcony chairs had not been cleaned in some time as they were black! (how do I know this, well I cleaned them with a white towel).
The plus factors were that the shower worked great, the beds were very comfortable, the breakfast was not luxury but it was passable except for the coffee which was cheap crap. I reported these faults to the reception desk but they did nothing about it. I was gob smacked literally.
For a four star hotel it did not come up to scratch. My perception was that they only give these prices, £42 for two nights with breakfast as a rock bottom deal to utilise their promo rooms, but Travel Republic misrepresented these cheap rooms hence their unwillingness to treat us as being equal to full paying guests. We were more or less treated as second class citizens because we paid a low price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Maritim Antonine Hotel and Spa, a supreme 4 star hotel, perched on a perfect spot overlooking the terraced hillsides, from which one can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views and unwind for a few days in luxury.Here at the Maritim we provide the best services for the best price in Malta. That’s our guarantee.The Maritim is nestled in the small picturesque town of Mellieha and is a sumptuous retreat for the business traveller, or a luxurious indulgence if you want to spoil yourself or a loved one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, HostelBookers, Otel and Venere so you can book your Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Antonine Hotel And Spa
- Maritim Antonine Hotel Mellieha
- Maritim Antonine Resort
- Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa Malta/Mellieha