“MAYBE BAD LUCK” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   George Borg Olivier Street, Mellieha, Island of Malta MLH 1021, Malta   |
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Mellieha
Radlett
“MAYBE BAD LUCK”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Well, we were surprised when we managed to find a Luxury double room with breakfast for the price we paid. Unfortunately, at the hotel the luxury room turned out to be an internal standard room with no external windows, hence no fresh air!
I showed my Travel Republic voucher to the reception staff, pointing out the word luxury and asked for a room with fresh air ventilation. To say that the two girls were not helpful would be untrue but they were certainly not coming up with the right solution. I insisted on seeing a manager and they told me he was in a meeting. They offered me an upgrade but told me it would be an extra 20 euro's which I rejected. Eventually after much protestation they called the manager (I think) and then offered me a room across the road. I took the room key, went over to the other building and immediately noticed a not too pleasant smell. Went up to the room and saw that it was dark and had a slight unpleasant smell. The beds were terrible as they had soft sponge mattresses and one pillow had a head indentation in it. The view was of a white wall and my conclusion was that this was not luxury. I went back to the desk and told them no, no it was not suitable. They seemed surprised and I was becoming curious as to why. Anyway, I was beginning to get annoyed so I insisted on seeing the manager and this time after a five minute wait I spoke to the manager. I explained the situation very politely and he more or less blamed Travel Republic, I in turn blamed them for not giving me what my voucher stated. In the end he offered me an upgrade at a discount of 50%. Why should I pay anything if my voucher stated a luxury room?
Anyway, we trundled up to the room and to be honest it wasn't luxury at all, except one could see the sea in the distance.
I took photo's which I will upload to Trip Advisor later. The light shades were heavily stained, the main table light did not work, the soap-dish was chipped, the shower screens bottom seal was missing, some of the tile-work was broken away leaving a hole by the toilet flush handle, the bathroom door had no closer and it kept opening by itself, the pedal to the waste bin was rusty, there were hairs on the floor under the sink unit and it was dirty there too, last point was that the balcony chairs had not been cleaned in some time as they were black! (how do I know this, well I cleaned them with a white towel).
The plus factors were that the shower worked great, the beds were very comfortable, the breakfast was not luxury but it was passable except for the coffee which was cheap crap. I reported these faults to the reception desk but they did nothing about it. I was gob smacked literally.
For a four star hotel it did not come up to scratch. My perception was that they only give these prices, £42 for two nights with breakfast as a rock bottom deal to utilise their promo rooms, but Travel Republic misrepresented these cheap rooms hence their unwillingness to treat us as being equal to full paying guests. We were more or less treated as second class citizens because we paid a low price.

Room Tip: Not 543 and not an internal promo room. The sea facing rooms with balconies are noisy at night as v...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MaritimMalta, Manager at Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Edwardbmac,

With great dismay we have taken note of your criticism and wish to thank you for the time you have taken to inform us of your dissatisfaction.
The initial misunderstanding resulted from the describing words for the room you had chosen. The agency's choice of description you might have found misleading. The internal rooms are equal to comfort rooms in size, decor & amenities. What is not included here is a view. If an agency chooses to sell these rooms as "luxury" it is entirely up to their discretion. A luxury room is not a deluxe room. On our website we distinguish the description very clearly. The initial internal room we had booked for you is situated on top of our reception.
As we recall vividly we offered a room change to a higher category at a charge, which you rejected unfortunately.
The alternative room in the same category, which then had been offered, was indeed across the road in our La Salita building. Fresh air would have been provided but still no view as your agency had booked an internal room.
The room you finally moved to could not have been dirty as the Head of Housekeeping always does a final check and gave it free for the guests.
We truly appreciate your positive remarks about the shower, beds and our breakfast buffet.
As you mentioned at the end of your report: Your agency misrepresented their offer and you arrived under false expectations.
Just to let you know - after we had spoken to you we informed your agency and the wording has been changed.
We would never treat anyone as second class citizens as it is our philosophy to treat everyone equally and to make all guests happy.
We can not undo your experiences. However we would like to apologise for any shortcomings in case that you felt in any way that you are not welcome.

Wishing you all the best for the New Year

Your Maritim Team

1,037 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have just returned from our third trip to the Maritim Antonine and once again we had a wonderful stay.
We have always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.
The food has always been very good and on this occasion they accommodated my dietary requirements without an issue - including making me something completely different for dinner when there wasn't anything on the buffet that I could have. It is lovely to see local dishes on the buffet and always with a good selection.
Having a child, Its great to have the three pools. The indoor pool is always lovely and warm and the outside pools are a good size. The new addition of the glass walls overlooking the sea by the roof top pool was a very welcome addition.

The bar is lovely and reasonably priced for a hotel bar. The staff generally remembered our drinks which was a nice touch. They were also happy to recommend something new.

We will definately return and reccommend it to our friends (this time the parents came with us and they enjoyed it just as much)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear SAash911,

Just reading your head line puts a smile on our faces. Thank you very much for all the wonderful comments on hotel & staff. We are happy about all the help and support you received from various sides within the team. Great to find it mentioned here ☺.
Our newly established glass wall on the roof top in combination with the restaurant during the evening is a great addition to our facilities and we are especially grateful that you honour it with your remarks.

Once again a big thank you. May the New Year be full of happiness and bring you back to us☺.

Your Maritim Team
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

First impressions of this hotel were good.Very clean and girl on reception helpful.However,after getting up the first morning we found that the shower stopped working halfway through my wife washing her hair.On complaining about this with reception we were told it would be sorted.It was not.The second day the same thing happened.i was given various possible reasons for this by the two males on reception.i.e pumps being turned off!! maintenance issues.......On the third day I lost it with yet another male on reception and I made sure he was aware of my disgust at the situation. Another issue I bought to the attention of the staff was that Umbrellas that were normally outside for the benefit of sunbathers had been left on the fire escape,therefore putting guests at considerable risk in the case of fire!! Nothing was done about this..........unbelievable!

Room Tip: Sorry,no tips
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
west midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

once again we have stayed in this very good hotel the food excellant and the service great,it is well worth taking leisurly walk around the newly updated square with fountain spend time in the commando bar for a relaxing evening and excellant food in the company of Fabio and Mary soon to be taken over by there son it is a great place to relax, also if you have a special occasion try the arches restaurant which is fantastic and well worth a visit, if you like an inexpensive night try the labour club but make sure you are hungry as the portions are large but very good with very friendly staff, if you make the effort to engage the local people in conversation they are a goldmine of information about the history of there great country and a pleasure to meet, if you visit in September the village has its own feast which is a celebration for the church which takes place over several days with marching bands street parties and firework displays well worth a visit, try having a meal on the roof which has been updated and has fantastic views down to the beach and coastline fantastic

Room Tip: we were on the 3rd floor with no problems
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Travellers should be aware that the Maritim Antonine is built on two sites and you may not be in the part you see in the brochure or on their website. The second part of the hotel is across the road, and they will not tell you this even when you are in reception. They will tell you to take the lift down to the ground floor then go through the tunnel and take the lift to your floor. The tunnel,of course, goes under the road. It looks nice but smells of damp. We were on the sixth floor of this building and the room was shabby. Nobody told us there was a door from this block out on to the road. When we found it we saved the fiddle of using the tunnel etc. every morning at breakfast. We wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Check which part of the hotel you will be in and choose the main building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Enjoyed my stay here a lot. Staff was very helpful and the food delicious. The hotel is set in the midst of Mellieha valley and only 15 minutes walk from the beach. The only downfall would be that there was no free wifi and the jacuzzi was rather cold. Otherwise it was a pleasant expeience and totall recommend it. I have visited before and plan to return if the price is right.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
M'Scala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I have enjoyed our stay at this hotel once again this year. We always book half board. The breakfast and dinner buffets are good and plentiful; I love good food!!!
We enjoyed some leisurely walks in the valley where one can really relax to the 'sound of silence' with the occasional bird tweeting. Very relaxing indeed. This year we heard an owl hooting. Unfortunately we could not see it!
The pool was nice and hot. The Jacuzzi was a bit of a let-down because it was not hot. I was told that it was being serviced. It is awaiting a spare part which is not available locally.
We like to talk to the the staff wherever we go. Our thanks to the staff at this hotel. They are very eager to help. We were looked after very well.
Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa - you will certainly see us again next November, God willing.

Room Tip: A room with the garden view is lovely. If you are a non-smoker, ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!