“It was 'OK'” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Langtoft, United Kingdom
“It was 'OK'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Went here on a short 5 day break on an all inclusive basis.

Very difficult review to write as on the one hand you can't fault the hotel that much but there is very little that can be said to endear it.

The staff are OK they serve you, they clear the plates, they deal with your enquiries but you get the feeling that they are just going through the motions rather than wanting you to enjoy your stay.

The food is OK, it lacks flair and excitement but then again it is served in a canteen environment. It's not fine dining but at the same time it's edible if somewhat boring.

The rooms are OK though the staffs desire to rearrange the furniture at 7 in the morning is a little disturbing as wooden chair legs on tiled floors do tend to sound a little bit. Also the 'muzak' that is switched on at 7 in the morning is like what you hear in lifts all over the world.

It is out a bit from the developed areas (which we like) and if you weren't all inclusive /full board you would have struggled a little for restaurants & bars in the area as there are none.

The Maltese bus service is fantastic & cheap even though the old buses have now gone. We used the hop on hop off bus service which runs a shuttle too the starting point from directly outside of the hotel. We used 'Maltasightseeing' bus as they are slightly cheaper than their rivals 'City-Sightseeing' for the South tour and also for the Gozo trip. The rest of the time we used the local buses which start from just round the corner. The Gozo ferry is walkable as you can watch it come in and the Comino ferry is literally on the other side of the road from outside the door.

Worth noting the hotel do a free packed lunch provided you order before 12:00 (noon) on the day before. Well worth it especially if you are going out and about and happy to eat lunch on the run.

Overall if you want a base to do some sightseeing and don't want to be in a built overdeveloped area then it's a good choice. If you want lots of night life & fine dining then look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The executive rooms are just off reception on the group floor overlooking the seafront. The fire do...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I am staying in the Ramla Bay resort next to the Riviera but went there for a bite to eat as the Ramla bay resort isn't overflowing with culinary options at this time (start of season).

My initial impressions were that it was a pleasant place with simple menu that might suit Ramla guests looking for a bite to eat eat close by.

My wife had a veg soup (€4.50) and potato and feta salad (€8.00) She was slightly perturbed with the soup as found some of the fibrous elements in it too akin to chicken and she's vegetarian. I finished It off for her and didn't think it was too bad but not that great either, it lacked depth in flavour.

For my main I had the sword fish(€14.50), which was relatively pleasant, particularly the sauces it came with, an olive tapade and tomato salsa. The chips that came with it were a tad anaemic but living in the UK can spoil you for chips.

I didn't expect to find the toilet a mess in a four star in a four star hotel, but it was a Maltese bank holiday and it was evident that they hadn't cleaned them that day, and there was a lack of things to dry your hands with.

I probably would use it again as there are so little other options in Ealing distance and would chalk any negative points down to it literally bring the start of season and them not getting into full service flow yet.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Brian O, Manager at The Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear DazzaDee
Thank you for sharing your review and for passing on your opinion of Riviera Resort & Spa. Thank you also for your positive points on your dining experience and the not so positive points will surely be looked into with our chef concerning the Vegetable soup.
I would like to thank you for your feedback and if you are still on the Island for you to pop into the resort so I could follow up on the matter and get more details from you.
I have seen from your many other reviews that you like to dine out in restaurants and visited plenty of hotels. All in all we do get pleasant positive feedback on our bill of fare available in the Sol e Mar al a carte Bistro and do apologise if the soup of the day was not as it should be.
It’s good to read that the other dishes at the Sol e Mar bistro were to your liking.
Should you still be in the vicinity we also have our Chinese buffet restaurant “Zelano” which is an alternative venue we use for all Inclusive guests to choose from for the evening dining . This new themed restaurant is popular with the locals and non-residents alike. Should you wish to visit I will be more than happy reimburse the charge of your soup of the day. Please feel free to pop in and contact me if you wish to avail of the offer.
Restroom points have been discussed with our housekeeper and our hourly cleaning record sheets will be checked to find the reason why the Sol e mar Bistro Rest rooms could have been in such untidy conditions as you mentioned.
All the best for now and thank you once again for your feedback as it is always greatly appreciated. I do look forward to the opportunity to meet you and to correct the mishap you encountered whilst dining with us.
Yours sincerely.
Stockholm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had never wrote that long review of hotel , but it was so odd experience , after 7 Days stay...

Location:
- up in the north , takes 30 minutes by car from airport or 1.5 hour by bus to get to hotel
- becouse of location ( waterfront / bay ) it is windy , some days , winds might be that strong
that you can not leave hotel , even for a walk.
Room:
- basic furniture , fridge , no coffee maker. Strange smell of dirty clothes..
bathrom granite countertop had several holes ( see pictures )
bathroom accessory : soap and unspecified, very basic shower cream.
* heating didnt work for 3 days ( I did managed to get extra heater )
* bad WiFi coverage in room ( you get connection to WiFi - but no Internet)
#Good cleaning of room on daily basis
Tv remote is not in room - deposition of 20 EUR is required at front desk!
If you chose a room with seaview , as I did , be aware that 50% of that rooms are abowe restaurat/pub garden - they close first at 23:00

* = when I complained on those issues ,only answer was that they will report it forward....
second , and third day , they was still reporting. Finally I got an extra heater - WiFi Igive up on.
Food:
I had an "All Inclusive" option.
- breakfest: everyday exactly same set , scrambled eggs ,beans in tomato . strange kind of beacon , pancakes.
yoghurt , marmelades (cheap ones) , juice from concentrate.

NO HONEY ( name Malta means 'honey' translated from its earliest Roman title and Honey is one of Malta’s most treasured products...:)

- lunch : 2 dishes to choose from ,2 kind of pasta and pizza , sallads
- dinner: 3 dishes to choose from ,2 kind of pasta , sallads
NOTE: sallads has a base on fish or pasta...
black olives was avaible only once ,during whole week.
Overall food experience: not really bad but very basic.

NOTE: Coffee or tea available ONLY at breakfest at restaurant ( during lunch or dinner coffee/tea machines are covered )

Wine , regardless if white /rose/red is of bad quality - if it comes from Malta , its a bad promotion of the Island.
Probably its a kind of wine i´ve seen in Sicyly sold from pump ( same as at gas station) for 1 EUR/liter
Here at hotel ,wine is served from a 20 liter bag-in -box , connected to pipes.
I ended up with buing best wine they had, at extra cost to meals ( around 12 EUR /bottle) - even that was average , worth max. 3 EUR in my opinion.

#cooks and staff cleaning from tables - very polite

Hotel:

There is 2 elevators for guests - You might wait 5 minutes to get in , as elevators stops on each level , regardles of pushed button.
I recommend to use elevator for staff , same technology , but less travellers...:)
50% of guests are aged 65+ ,the other half of guests: at least 30% ot htem wears sportswear ,morning to night at all occasions...(feels like a sports campus)
At least 50% of staff is from Kroatia/Serbia ( payed lower then Malatneses are)
At lobby bar you will not get coffee/tea at early afternoon (the machine is 2 steps away for bartender and it demands only to push button -Instatnt coffee/tea)
- still ,You will be told to get it by yourself ,from side board where snacks are avaible.
Real coffe is at extra cost (instant coffe /tea included in "All Inclusive")
Game room (see pictures)
At the morning , 5-7 AM ( yes I wake up that early , even on vaccations:) in the lobby , you will find a lot of dirty drink glassware from evening before.

Long story short:

Im very disapponted`with this hotel , it should be rated as 2+ absolutely not 4 stars.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
West Byfleet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We visited the Riviera Resort & Spa in Marfa, Malta in April 2015. We had booked a self catering apartment through RCI and although we had never been to this resort before, we have visited Malta many times before so was familiar with its location at the northern end of the island near the Gozo ferry. On arrival we were warmly greeted by the staff and were quickly booked in. We were also offered a choice of half board or full board for the week that we were staying. Knowing that there aren't any restaurants nearby we opted for the half board ie breakfast & dinner, this was just over 200 euros for the 2 of us which I thought was a real bargain as the restaurant was buffet style so you could have have as much to eat as you wanted! Our apartment was on the 4th floor and was very spacious with a giant size double bed 2 TVs, full kitchen (which we didn't use apart from the kettle), and a massive balcony which looked over the sea towards Comino, The service in the restaurant was excellent and the food was very good with a big choice both at breakfast and dinner. The staff (mostly Easter European I think) were very friendly and efficient. We did not use the spa but we did use the indoor swimming pool, the 2 outdoor pools looked really good but I think the water was a bit cold although plenty of guests were sitting around the pools, I should think that in the summer these would be really good. All in all the hotel has excellent facilities and is good value for money and it provided us with a good base to visit other parts of Malta. I think that The Riviera is probably the best place that we have stayed at in Malta.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Brian O, Manager at The Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear tramfan46
Thank you for sharing your feedback and it is always greatly appreciated from us all at the Resort. I’m happy to read you had a great vacation on your return visit to Malta.
It’s also great to read that you found all the facilities as you had expected and found members of the staff to be friendly and helpful. These points will surely be passed on to all concerned and will be greatly appreciated.
I would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding our Food and Beverage outlets .I am happy to read that you found the meal package ideal when you chose to upgrade at reception and it was exactly as you expected. The rest of our outlets like the Hola Beach area will soon be opening up along with our latest addition the “Zelano” which will be an Oriental themed Buffet with great dishes prepared daily by our young talented Chinese Chef.
Our location in the north is appreciated for the peace, quiet and relaxation as you pointed out . I can see that your review and the information as frequent visitors to the Island that you have passed on will be appreciated by fellow readers. This does help others plan the type of vacation they have in mind and choose the best location they seek.
Recommending the resort to all is appreciated and we all look forward to your return to Riviera Resort & Spa in the not distant future.

All the Best for now.
Naxxar, null, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It was a great Sunday buffet lunch. . Food was excellent and very nice stuff. Everything was first class. When we booked we didn't tell them what were we celebrating. I don't have enough words to thank Ivan the superviser for the surprise he made me.Thanks for the delicious cocktail and the nice cake. It was a fantastic birthday. Thanks. Keep the good work you're doing. Thanks

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Brian O, Manager at The Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Tiziana C.
We are pleased to read you are completely satisfied with your recent Luncheon at Riviera Resort & Spa. Cleanliness, good food, great service and value for money and the Yes I can attitude from the staff and restaurant management is what makes the difference in the Hospitality Industry. I am glad that this is the experience you had at Riviera Resort & Spa whilst dining with us for Sunday Buffet Luncheon.
Thank you for your review and for sharing your recommendations with other reviewers as I am more than sure they will receive trip advisor helpful votes. Your kind comments will be passed on to the staff member you have singled out and I am sure he will be pleased with your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort on your next visit and for you to experience once again the nice time you had at the resort.
All the best for now.
Brian O’Connor
Resort Operations Manager.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Mark Stokes

I have stayed in many hotels throughout the world and Ireland and never write a review only a complaint.
On arrival both my friend and I were both greeted with a big smile by a beautiful young women Tina, she was very kind bubbly and professional, due to my friend being in a wheelchair, went out of her way to assist us and to make every effort that our holiday would be the best due to his condition. A big thank you
We were greeted again, just beside our room was the manager’s office by a young lady Ruth saying that if we needed anything she would be there to help. Our room was a good size with balcony overlooking the pool, the room was cleaned to a high standard each day.
My Friend and I were both impressed by the food that was to offer as got three great meals a day offering so much choice both for vegetarians and great deserts to the standard that a 5 star offers .
Most of all is the staff, all speaking first class English as well as other languages, very very friendly.
I had scratched my hired car, and had met an office worker from Cork in Ireland called Brian, he was funny guy always with big smile, and he brought me in some polish and helped me clean the car that came out brand new. Thank you Brian
Also the downstairs lobby bar, big thank you Karen, she works like two people, very kind always brought our drinks to us as due to my friends disability, I think we tried every cocktail on the menu
There was two entertainers from the hotel, I have forgotten their names a young blonde haired girl and guy, they were fantastic, always getting people to join in the games around the pool if they wanted, and at night time there was a different singer they were good fun as always doing dancing acts to entertain the guests.
Well I don’t have a bad word to say, big thank you to the Staff Marko, Bella, Tony to mention a few.
Its a beautiful location with easy access to anywhere, by regular buses with cheap fares, also close to ferry to see Goso.
Well next year I will return with my wife....
Kindest Regards

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Mark S
Thank you for choosing Riviera Resort & Spa and for sharing your review. It is great to learn that you enjoyed your week break here at the resort had great value for money and enjoyed our location to the full.
I’m glad you had a good vacation and would once again like to thank you for your positive comments on the cleanliness, food quality and staff. Future guests who read the replies sent on to us do appreciate genuine feedback.
Once again thank you for your all round positive comments on the staff throughout the resort and the venues you liked the most. All praises and points that you have mentioned have been passed on to them as it does give me great pleasure to let them know .
I hope you had a pleasant journey back to England and we look forward to welcoming you and your friend once again back To Riviera Resort and Spa in the not too distant future.
Best Regards and all the best for now.

Brian O’ Connor
Resort Operations Manager.
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed for 4 nights on a girly break - the rooms are lovely fresh towels everyday , cleaned everyday and very comfy beds !! Food is spot on there's 8 of us and we all had different and we were all extremely satisfied with the quality of the food ( especially the desserts) The bar staff downstairs at the "Charlie noble " bar were fantastic and served us with a smile - the only fault we could find was that the all inclusive drinks weren't very strong but the wine made up for that and it certainly didn't spoil our stay !! We recommend you use "Billy's taxis " and venture into mellieha at night €2 for a courvoisier brandy ( that was certainly strong enough). A lovely hotel and we all agreed we'd come back !!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Caroline M.
Thank you for sharing your “fantastic stay” review with fellow Trip Advisor reviewers along with the staff and management of Riviera Resort & Spa. Its great you had an overall enjoyable all Inclusive holiday whilst staying with us on vacation. It’s great to read you found the food to be your liking and all staff friendly attentive and welcoming and we ticked all the circles for you and your seven friends which is our objective here at the resort.
These points will be passed on and will be greatly appreciated by all staff concerned. I would like to thank you for the marks you have given the resort as we always strive to make all guests experiences as delightful as possible.
I am happy to see that you returned home completely satisfied with all the services we had to offer. Our location in the north is appreciated for the peace, quiet and more importantly the relaxation. The wonderful views of the cliffs of Comino and Gozo are regularly commented upon favourably whilst guests are in house with us.
Once again I am happy to read you had a happy relaxing break and we look forward to welcoming you back once again in the not too distant future.

Best regards from all.

Resort Operations Manager

Been to The Riviera Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!