“Paradise is not here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

You added Paradise Bay Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paradise Bay, Mellieha, Island of Malta MLH 0968, Malta   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE NIGHT LIMITED TIME!
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Aachen
“Paradise is not here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel between 21st and 25th of May. I expected much more for a 4* hotel, even if the room is economy. Be aware if you are choosing a South Wing room, because the quality of these rooms is inferior. I have only noticed this when I got there. The room was a twin bed and smoker's room. We have complained to the reception, but they didn't even offer us the option to upgrade... They promised to put the two beds together as a double bed, but it never happened. TV doesn't work at all and it is a old one. Hotel staff didn't provide any help when asking for things to do in Gozo, because we got some bad weather and beach was not an option.

The hotel breakfast is OK and the dinner was good (the meat and pasta dishes). Drinks have to be payed separately, but in cash... can't add to your room account... this was not nice. However, you can bring your own wine and that is what we did. The room was cleaned everyday, but soap was not added. We have found a cockroach in the room on the last day (we have pictures to show).

Room Tip: Pay attention if your room is on the South Wing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
I thank you for your response and yes I agree that there is a substantial difference between the standards of our economy rooms and that of our standard rooms but there is also a substantial difference in the rate charged. We also do not have non-smoking room’s as these are impossible to control, we do however encourage our guest not to smoke in the bedroom but on the balconies.

Sorry to hear that your television did not work and I am sorry that you did not report it as such, as we would have changed it for you. I am also sorry that you had bad weather when you wished to go to the beach and were unable to ascertain what to do instead of going to the beach.
I do thank you for your positive remarks in relation tour food and it is true that wines are not included with the meals. Yes had you opened an account with the hotel all commodities from all departments could have been charged to your room account.

The photo that you have taken of the roach is one that happens occasionally as these creatures are native to hotter climates, there even a few in other parts of Europe including the UK.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Gharghur, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had enough time for walk in the country side. There is plenty of space to relax by the pools. the pools are very big. The food was amazing and plenty of choice and variety. It was definitely a great weekend to relax away from busy life style. we had a car and the closest village is only 7mins by car. the island of Gozo is only a boat trip away as is Comino.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are quieter and the view of the pool and bay is much nicer
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I thank you for posting your appreciation towards our establishment and services and most of all for enjoying your break whilst you were with us.
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Not enough to do and too far away from the best part of the island - near Sliema and St Julians. ~The hotel was dominated by the French and Top Club. Very noisy and rude.

The staff too were largely students and had no experience. They did improve. We were there for three weeks and by th eend the Staff in the bar did manage a smile. The Reception staff were very helpful and they had to be. We had to ask for new beds three times. The room was Economy so we did not expect too much, it was small but clean and plenty of storage space. There is not enough to do at the hotel for those who do not want games and yoga. The hotel public rooms and swimming pools are very good. However would not go again and would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not go economy room, the other choice is classic and then suites etc. Most rooms have a view of t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction and that you thought that there was not enough for you to do within our hotel as we operate with 5 swimming pools, a Blue Flag sandy beach with a water sports and diving school, a tennis court, a multipurpose sports court, hotel animation and over 600 sun beds to lounge upon.
The hotel’s location is well advertised as we are secluded but have regular transport to all areas of the Island. I am also very sorry to hear that you found some of our staff not as you had expected and perhaps not as they should have been and I shall be speaking with our staff in relation to this issue.
I do however thank you for your appreciation of the cleanliness and storage space within our economy rooms .
Orange Park, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We booked the Paradise Bay Hotel because we were going to be diving with the Paradise Bay Dive Shop. Regardless of some bad reviews, we went forward with booking as we were not looking for a place to be spoiled as much as we wanted convenience. Good thing, because convenience of proximity to the dive shop is all we got. I'll break it down: Customer Service: Unfortunately, it was as many advised, rude and less than desirable. My wife and I agreed that it seemed like the reception staff, while they wanted our tourism euros, were not interested in the tourists. Upon arrival, they didn't even offer to help with bags or show us to the room. Rather, the gent pointed to some steps and told us to take a right at the top and go through the doors. Comfort: none! We asked for a single large bed and found two small twins. While many places in Europe have beds such as this, I have yet to run into a hotel where the staff was so put off by pushing the two together! The two ladies who arrived to help with this task didn't say a word and merely shoved the beds together, threw a single bottom sheet on and then made both sides like two single beds pushed together.....and then simply walked out! It was so bad, that a lady at reception had to be asked to please put her call on hold as I was asking for the laundry. She was busy laughing with whomever was on the phone and I guess forgot she was supposed to be helping me as she turned her back, and continued to have what seemed like a personal conversation. Cleanliness: the sheets were never changed and the pictures posted by previous reviewers (who we should have listened to) are accurate when depicting a run down, nasty carpet and gross smelling hotel. Food: breakfast is the same every morning and surprisingly, the coffee is watered and disgusting. You are about 10 minutes from the closest restaurant by car so your choices are limited to only the hotel, and it seems as if they know it. Internet: intermittent except the charge. We had to go out in the hall to get a signal or sit in the bathroom next to the outside wall! In the actual room was hit and miss! Laundry Service: expensive and it came back thrown together and wrinkled. On our last day, we asked for laundry pickup and were told to leave it in the room in the bag with the slip in the bag. We did exactly that, left it in front of the beds and came back to find it in the same spot! Did they move the bag to sweep or just forego sweeping altogether? When we called, they basically said "oops, better luck next time". The dive shop was great but having traveled this globe several times and having stayed in some less than 3 star establishments, I can honestly say that the Paradise Bay Hotel was the most disappointing stay I have ever experienced. There is absolutely nothing they could do to entice me back, although the dive shop is top shelf and I will be back to dive with them! This hotel however, will never get my business again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry to hear that you consider that our hotel and staff have not met with your satisfaction. Unfortunately we did not have a double room available on your arrival, we do only market twin rooms and on a request subject to availability double rooms.
The lack of comfort may have been due to your expectations and yet you did book a basic economy room. The lady on reception may have been over friendly on the phone when you came to the reception desk but if she was already dealing with another person on the phone she would have dealt with your request inn turn. What appeared to you being a personal call may not have been so.
Sheet change is scheduled on the maids rooming list and can be done daily is the need arises or if requested. The laundry service being expensive, there is an itemized list with individual prices on the laundry bag.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I came here with my boyfriend on our first holiday. And we were half board. Breakfast was mediocer but dinner was disgusting. Nothing nice about it at all. Not the place to stay if your looking for lively nights as its a long way from night life places. Best thing about this hotel is the lovely view from our balcony and 1 member of the bar staff. Also ferry very near to go to gozo.

• Stayed September 2012
I am sorry to hear that the hotel’s Buffet, A la Carte, Call Order or Bistro menu’s and foods did not meet with your satisfaction.

I am also sorry to hear that you consider that our hotels position did not meet with your satisfaction. Unfortunately or fortunately as the case may be we are not located near to disco’s or night life but there is an exceptional transport service to all parts of the Island from just outside of the hotel. The hotels description does clearly state that we are located in an isolated position

Yes I do agree that our position does offer outstanding views as do our pools and Blue Flag status beach.
Banbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Not the first time we have stayed at the Paradise Hotel, but I'm afraid it will be our last. It has lost its Maltese charm. You were lucky if you got a smile from some of the new staff, and the peace and quiet has now been taken over by a French club which I can only describe as rude, noisy and inconsiderate. Dont get me wrong, the hotel is lovely, nice rooms, good location, but it felt like we were at Butlin's. So if you are looking for peace and quiet its not for you. I'm sorry that this is not a good review as the hotel has not always been like this. 15 times my mum has stayed at the Paradise and has a lot of good memories but she wont be returning either.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear that you consider that our staff have lost their charm but the vast majority are the same staff who have been here for 15 to 30+years. Yes the students are new as they turn over every year.
It is true that we have a small French Club who have a maximum of 60 rooms from our 276 rooms and their animation entertainment is not held within the main block of the hotel.
I thank you for your appreciation towards our rooms and location and wish that you would reconsider returning back to us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just back tonite after spending a great week in the paradise bay hotel in malta. It was our first visit to Malta and Gozo and we were overwhelmed how lovely these islands are. The Hotel is very nice possibly slightly outdated but very nice. Staff were excellent. Elizabeth on reception and manuele and Alfie who work in the bars. Issam who works for Top club as well... our room was very clean . Breakfast was ok but cud have been better . Lunch and evening meals offered a great choice.. Hotel is in a remote area but great for my wife and i as we loved walking into melleiha and hotel is right at the port for the ferry to Gozo.. we hired a car and drove around malta and we found it an easy drive and outstanding scenery. We took the hop on hop off bus around Gozo.. all in all we enjoyed our weeks holiday that was recommened by Grace wallace who works for Thomas cook in Derry. Great choice... we will be tempted to back to paradise bay hotel again sometime

• Stayed May 2013
I thank you for your appreciation towards our hotel our staff and Malta and most of all for considering a repeat visit to us.

Thank you.

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!