“An okay place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 hotels in Mellieha
California
“An okay place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Just got back from a week's holiday in this hotel that I consider an okay place to stay, not really very good or excellent, but certainly not poor or terrible. The location is good if you want to be away from the busier areas, and there is easy access to the buses if you want to get into those more busier areas. The sea views from the rooms are awesome. The hotel is clean and all of the staff--desk, restaurant, cleaning--are friendly and helpful. The restaurant is also clean and the food in the buffet is varied and for the most part good, though as with many buffets it was at times a bit overcooked and bland. If you are not inclusive, you have to buy drinks (coffee, tea, etc.) for your dinner meal as none is provided; coffee, tea and juice is provided with breakfast, though, as are a variety of egg, meat, fruit, and salad dishes. But, they definitely need to get rid of the toaster that took forever to toast and consistently burned breakfast toast. Our room was okay, small but clean; the beds, though, were hard as rocks and small in length and in width; anyone over 5 feet and 100 lbs. will hang over and have little room to turn. The hotel does offer activities and entertainment, but I didn't participate so don't know the quality. It does not, however, have a sauna or spa room, though a massage can be had but booked in advance. It does have a small exercise room, and even a library though books are pretty dated and there is no gift shop to buy sundries and papers. I would say the main complaint we had with this hotel is with the rusty water that came from the pipes in our room; we were told to let it run until it became clear, but it never did. And even worse, it was recommended that we not drink the water, but the hotel does not provide any other except that which you have to buy. It's not expensive (1.20 e) but in other hotels I have been in, if you cannot drink the water, the hotel provides bottled water; this hotel should do the same.

Room Tip: All I think are sea view rooms with very small balconies
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

889 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

We (a couple of 60 yrs of age) spent 28 days at the hotel from the 17th of December. This is our fourth visit over the last 18 years. Christmas and New Year was very enjoyable. The food is always good, sometimes very good, occasionally excellent. There were always plenty of choices? It does need to be hotter and hopefully the renovations of the kitchen and dining room will help with that. We had an excellent Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve dinner. The Christmas Day reception with drinks and canapés was much enjoyed. The restaurant staff are lovely. I had a variety of vegetarian choices available and could order from a veggie menu if necessary.

The rooms vary depending on when it was last updated. Our first room was reasonable but in need of some updating. We moved due to noisy neighbours. The hotel management were understanding and acted quickly. We then had a more modern room on a quieter section of the corridor. We then moved again as they were closing the block down and had an even nicer room.

The variety of entertainment was poor and not always of a good standard, although Jonny Gee, Paul Vella and the Cutajar Brothers were good. We did enjoy the live music in the lounge upstairs over the Christmas and New Year period. It was nice to see local people in the hotel and to watch the dancing.

I was disappointed that the lower lounge as was, which looked over the bay had gone and was boarded up. The hotel needs to exploit the view more, as it must have one of the most beautiful views in Europe. Yet there are no comfortable areas of seating to relax in and drink in the view. The activities were Bowls, darts, putting, bingo, a quiz and skittles. We would have liked them to be available more than three times a week though. We met some lovely people by joining in the day time activities and won a few free drinks! The hotel staff and management are friendly, helpful and polite. Our holiday was excellent value for money. Malta is easy to travel round on the buses. It is friendly and safe and the weather is generally sunny and warm in winter. We would definitely return, but would go all inclusive next time as most of the bars within walking distance are shut in the winter.

Stayed December 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Our 5th 28 nights over Xmas and New Year. As usual we had excellent service, food, accommodation and staff. Just a few professional moaners about- just ignore them, we did. The hotel is doing a bit of refurbishment but this didn't infringe on the holiday at all. We are using our family's Trip Advisor Account. Thankyou Mellieha Bay. J&J Taylor, room 418.

Room Tip: High floor room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Great holiday price but hard small beds. Unable to drink the tap water was told purchase bottle water. Suspected old pipes with rust deposits. Restaurant staff very helpful. Rooms always clean.
Food okay but bland. Half board had to pay for coffee and tea in the evening."2 Euro's" with our evening meal.

Location excellent if you are looking for a beautiful view and quiet.

Room Tip: Easy to get to Gozo :-15 minutes by Bus 1.50 euros. and then Ferry 4.50 euros 30 minutes
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ashford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Rooms- not clean, very basic, uncomfortable beds and noisy.

Food- had to eat out eat out everyday as the food was that bad, it really was a let down.

Hotel- good location but really dated and staff were not helpful or friendly

Tip.. book the seabank hotel, its accross the bay. We we gutted we didn't stay at that one, typical situation where you pull up outside your hotel and realise you have got the rubbish one.

Really disappointed with this one, not to Thomsons normal holiday quality

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dymchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Just returned from a 2 week break over Xmas. Food is excellent, and hotel staff a very friendly. The entertainment is a bit choice, but hay ho!. The rooms are fine, try to go for a superior room. Thompson/First choice rooms all seem to be these rooms. All rooms have a sea view so don't pay any extra for these. Lifts serve all rooms so try and go for a high room for the view. bus's are good, but if there are 2 of you a car would be handy to see the whole island. The all inclusive is worth it for water wine and food. It does have a tendency to have an older clientele during the winter months. A good base for a relaxing holiday for lots of walking.

Room Tip: Go high, but any room above the first is good.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed for a week from 22 October and was delighted with the hotel. Staff were unbelievably helpful and friendly. Recently widowed and travelling alone for the first time is daunting and I welcomed their kindness, especially when trying to use the computers. Why is the wifi internet cafe in the ballroom!! The gardens are very large and most attractive. The food was wonderful, Plentiful, always hot enough, varied, always two meat courses, a fish course, a vegetarian course, pizza, pasta, salad, 5-6 dessert choices, choice of cheeses, excellent starters including hot soup every day, served with fresh bread. Breakfasts were enormous depending on how much one could eat, and the variety was first class. Waiters were friendly and helpful. As a new widow, I hated being stuck in a corner on my own, and asked the head waiter if I could have a table in the middle of the room which they did for me thereafter. My room was modern, a most comfortable bed and pillows, clean, pristine every day, the view of the rising sun was mesmerising every day, and across the bay to Melleiha, the lights were so picturesque at night. There was always something going on in the bay. Over the weekend about 17 yachts of varying prices and sized moored up. The sparkling main pool shelved too deeply for me, but the little bay was safe and perfect for swimming which I did from from early morning till teatime. I spent all my sunbathing time down by the waterski office and little beach as there were plenty of sunbeds everywhere even with a full hotel.. Even then some older people insisted on stacking sunbeds and chairs and covering them with towels in prime spots round the pool from early morning and then not appearing all day. I found this unsociable and should not be encouraged. I loved taking the speedboat for 2 euros to cross the bay to Mellheiha and walking or catching a bus back. My only criticisms are few, only that the entertainment was pretty unexciting, which was a shame as the ballroom is lovely, but it did not affect me as I ate late and sat out or on visited the Seabank Hotel where I had friends staying and the entertainment was very good. The little so called "shop" in the hotel was pretty half-hearted as it did not sell essentials like toothbrushes, razors, cotton wool, stamps, and there were never enough English newspapers. It seemed to have random hours of opening as well. No one knew when it would open. Everything I asked for was not on sale. Please update your shop! I was itching to make the display more attractive!
My husband and I had stayed in gorgeous Gozo a number of times and as the hotel is so near the ferry port to Gozo and Comino, it also meant it was a long way from Valletta, but the bus trip was interesting. I would have liked more information in my room about the facilities available in the hotel and it was not until my last day that I found there was a spa and the indoor pool! I would have looved a massage.
All in all, a lovely hotel, excellent food and situation and views, the most friendly staff who care about their residents, and I was fortunate to have fabulous weather. Never saw a manager however!. Undoubtedly, I shall return. Mary, Exeter

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views. Some rooms are a very long way from the reception area so if mobility is...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Mellieha Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!