“WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Mellieha Bay Hotel to your Saves list
Mellieha Bay Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ghadira, Mellieha, Island of Malta MLH 9065, Malta   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
“WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just returned from this hotel and have already booked to go again later this year. I originally booked into a different hotel (supposedly 4*) and checked out within 48 hours. Found the Mellieha and loved every minute of my remaining 12 days stay.
The rooms are good, facilities excellent, lovely dining room and lounge, and the pool area and gardens great. The staff were all polite and friendly, the hotel spotlessly clean and the food was really good. Although the choice of food was comparatively small I could have eaten everything on the menu (except fish 'cos I don't like it) and enjoyed every meal I had.
I didn't go all inclusive (I am next time) but found bar prices were very competitive, not the usual rip-off you get in lots of hotels and there were no add-ons, the safe was free etc.
It could be that I went at the "right" time of year, there were lots of guests that went regularly at this time, as a consequence the atmosphere was very warm and friendly, great for a single traveller and, by joining in with the sports/games etc, soon found myself talking to lots of people and felt very comfortable.
The only downside to this hotel could be it's location. If you want nightclubs and bars there aren't any locally, I didn't go for the nightlife so it wasn't a problem. The bus stop is only 3 minutes away so during the day you can go anywhere you like -buses are cheap and frequent.
In general this is a definite 4* hotel and anyone finding fault is nit-picking. It's not the Hilton, but it's not Hilton prices either and I have no hesitation is recommending this hotel as very good value for money. Can't wait to go back!!!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Cardiff, wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

On arrival Entrance a little small for us all to check-in and had to go back outside to collect or cases before going back in for our rooms, he rooms were clean and tidy with a nice tv on the wall bottles of shower gell and shampoo were replenished daily the views across the bay from everyroom was beautiful the resteraunt was nice plenty of variety and the Wine was good!! the Bar was good but a little small and Staff never smiled only one exceeded himself he was Sandro (bars) Nothing too much effort and always helpful the Entertainment was ok but Low Key could be because lots of older people go here in the winter but something for all an ideal hotel for Sightseeing

Room Tip: All Rooms have The Lovely Bay View
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Myself and my partner got back last night and stayed here for a week. We went there for our 1 year anniversary and booked direct with the hotel as we wanted to book our flights from heathrow separately and not fly from Gatwick. We booked through the hotel website on a bed and breakfast basis and although it would have been more cost effective to go through Thompsons and do an all inclusive deal, we booked separately. I found out later that my husband had emailed the hotel to tell them he was coming for our anniversary. So anyway here goes - pros and cons

Pros
Nice location if you like peace and quiet as a little tucked away from the village shops but easily accessible as bus stop very close and lots of different buses that go to Valetta, Buggiba, Silemma, Gozo, St Julians.
Hotel has indoor pool in case the weather is cold
Small gym with 4/5 pieces of equipment
Good sized rooms with television
Nice view of sea
Beach close by- very short walk away
Gozo - very close as well as Paradise Bay Beach (nice location), Red Fort Tower, nature walk and Mellieha shops a short bus ride away
Staff were very nice and helpful - all spoke english
There is a beautician on site
Large hotel parking spaces for cars
Room has a small fridge
Good size tv
Bathroom/shower - all worked well and we had hot water so no problems

Cons
As it is tucked away, I would recommend hiring a car, we hired a car from Billy's car hire and paid 125 euros from Wednesday to Monday. They are in Mellieha and also don't charge the excess waiver that everyone else does in case of any accidents, providing full insurance- very nice guy (review written separately)
Limited facilities for younger people, catered more for an older clientele
I am glad we got the bed and breakfast basis as the food could do with more variety. Breakfast became quite boring as it was the same thing everyday to choose from. We ordered omelettes as tired of boiled eggs/scrambled eggs and had to pay extra for these. The snacks during teh day were sandwiches/some pastries - just not enough variety.
Room wasn't cleaned properly - floor wasn't cleaned (swept) we informed reception and they did ensure the next day that it was cleaned.
Room service offering for food again very limited - we called one night just for ice and 2 glasses and we were told we would have to pay 5 euros for this. Most hotels I know, do not do this but anyway my husband walked to the bar and got them and he was not charged for this. 5 euros for a walk to our room with ice seemed v unreasonable
Swiming pool outside was freezing (not really hotels fault, that was weather) but not cleaned properly. We used the indoor pool but the silly thing is we asked for towels and were charged a hiring fee I think of 1.20 euros each, I really do not know of any hotel that does this.
Despite my husbands email we didnt even get a happy anniversary, most hotel I know would have at least done something v small as a gesture
The room could do with having a small kettle - so you can make your own tea and coffee
TV - not enough channels for english speakers

As I said I have mixed feeling about the hotel but overall I had a good experience, we were out a lot, it was a good price but I am not sure its a 4 star hotel. Would be better if they improved the room service facilities and their food offering. I liked the fact we were tucked away but sometimes if you wanted to just pop out somewhere you couldn't. I am not sure I would stay here agai, I think I would probably stay at another place down the road, (name escapes me), better facilities there- and food much better, in fact we ate there a lot

Hope this is helpful

Thanks

Room Tip: We were at the far end, on 2nd floor, sea view, was nice and quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Me and my partner visited on 19th feb 2013 stayed 1 week. actually got married in hotel grounds. lovely ! never been to malta before, hotel is very nice , rooms nice and clean. Must give praise on the food im a vegetarian and have struggled everywhere i go to eat properly. This hotel was brilliant allways had a least a few vege options clearly labelled too.really enjoyed all meals here. location is very quiet, we went out into other towns to find pubs / bars etc. But all in all a good hotel , would go back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

On arrival, the hotel appears to be in a 70's timewarp. Lukewarm welcome from reception with no info given on mealtimes or facilities.
Rooms although recently refurbished are fairly basic.All have sea views and the view across the sea to Mellieha village is lovely esp at night.I had e-mailed to ask for a high floor room which have the best views but ended up on the ground floor-no privacy as people constantly walking past, inc decorators who tried to paint round me on my terrace!!
Food was uninspired, cold, dried out and not replenished-we have standards for this in UK but ob not applied here! Dining room staff could do with some happy pills!
Location is fairly remote. Great for ferry to Gozo, which is lovely and well worth a visit, but it is not well situated for exploring the island.
I suppose they must be doing something right as many guests are repeat visitors but do they go other places to compare? We travel extensively since our retirement and this hotel did not meet 4star status nor value for money.
We would not return

Room Tip: High floor block B. Block A loses sun by noon.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
halifax west yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We visited this hotel between the 26th Feb and 6th March 2013, so the weather was changeable, windy and cloudy one day, then sunny and warm , so you need a cardigan or fleecy jacket. The hotel was very clean and the food was excellent. The staff were friendly and can speak perfect English. Our room had everything we needed, and our beds were comfy.The buses to go sightseeing were cheap and regular, we were given free maps and timetables to help catch the correct buses. Please ignore the timeshare reps, they are just trying to rip people off. On the balcony of the hotel, my husband used to whistle the birds ( the feathered variety), and they used to flock to the balcony and allow you to feed them by hand.We would definately go again to this hotel as it was excellent value, but we might go when the weather has warmed up a bit. Malta is well worth a visit, especially the markets and the very old buildings and churches.The locals are lovely and you feel very safe there.

Room Tip: the 3rd floor was very good with a really good view across the bay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed for one week ending March 5th 2013 and enjoyed our stay in Malta and visiting its attractions. Our holiday was a late booking with Thomsons.We were on half-board.

Weather was sunny for most of the week

We feel that the hotel is very much a three star achieving this status on balcony views, pleasant gardens and on its location for visiting Gozo.

Positives.

Rooms , though a little tired, are clean and serviced to a good standard.
View from all rooms , apart from the ground floor, are excellent.
Bus service is nearby . Although Malta is a small island it can still take 50 minutes to get to Valletta and bus stop is excellent for the ferry to Gozo
Breakfasts are fine with a good cooked option. Main meal is good for starters and dessert courses.
1/2 carafe of wine at Euros 3.5 at the dining table was a good deal, though it is unsurprisingly not fine dining
Thomson rep gave a very succinct and comprehensive presentation saying just what we needed to know.

Negatives.
Evening meal( which was was buffet style) - main courses achieved two star standard and were unimaginative. Vegetables selection usually consisted of sprouts or broccoli
Dining room staff forgot to ask us for our wine order on two of the seven nights.
Dining room staff are unashamed of leaving the previous diners crumbs and stains on tables with spaces for new diners.
Beds are spartan and pillows very flat and uncomfortable.
Noise is a problem with noise echoing down hallways , though I suspect our room was sited better than some . (On one night there was a lot of noise from a wedding party, however, this was a one-off and we think acceptable.)
Entertainment in the evenings at this time of the year , usually one man on a keyboard or a DJ did not inspire us.

Conclusion.
We have holidayed with Thomsons many times the most recent previously being 2012 and have always been satisfied with their holidays. Clearly, given the many positive reviews, this hotel has quite a fan -base and some good features. However the standards of the bed/pillow in the room and the negatives in the dining room would lead us not to recommend it.

Our aim, was to use the hotel as a base to explore Malta and Gozo. A weekly bus fare cost Euros 12 , Ferry return to Gozo is about Euros 4.50 . The hotel is on too much of a limb for exploring the island of Malta, though excellent for getting across to Gozo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mellieha Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!