“Overall a lovely place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Overall a lovely place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed a week at Luna and as a whole would thoroughly recommend it. We had room 5301 which is one of the newly done ones, though we had to pay £230 to upgrade as the 'superior' we originally paid for certainly wasn't that. I believe it was £156 on the Thomas cook website so if you can afford that little extra it is most definitely worth it.
The hotel shop was stocked with everything you could possibly need, and unless you're one of these 'travellers' that go on holiday but only eat foods and brands from home it was very well priced.
It's a very long steep walk up a hill to the main restaurants but a whole weeks ticket on the bus is just €6.50 and in the whole week we only ever had to wait more than 20 mins on a bus once. The beach is a 3 min walk down the hill though, and there's two restaurants there...I'd recommend Maya but steer clear of Mexico, it looks nice but the food is definitely not.
Our towels were changed every other day and a big clean done once.
We filled every day from dawn till dusk so on our one chill out day we rented the movie box from reception, it's a €25 deposit and a €6 charge and although it's got a great s,election of movies, there's a channel on TV that constantly shows good films so I don't think it's worth it.
The wifi in the lobby is hit or miss but fast when you get it, though at night especially now as it's World Cup time it fills up quickly as the TV is always on.
The snacks from the bar are lovely and very very well priced.
Despite it's size, you could always get a free subbed if you wanted and the pools were never full, they aren't chlorine though it's a salt cleaner they use so be sure you don't swallow any of it...it's not enjoyable!
We had a lovely teenage boy who played the bagpipes with his scout team show us to the room and set up the air con, and we never got to thank him.
My only complaint about the hotel really is definitely the rooms,I don't know why they haven't started to modernise all the rooms to the same standard as ours was, as as it stands, they have a cheek to call the superior rooms as such and I dread to think what the step down was like.

Room Tip: Pay extra to get the superior family apartments or the penthouse.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kyleborg, Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Hello mcseveneyl,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thank you for letting us know that you recommend Luna. Your feedback is appreciated.

I am happy that you were pleased with your upgrade and you found the room to your liking. This winter we shall continue refurbishing the rooms to bring them up to high standards.

I am glad that you were pleased with the facilities and also that you found the hotel mini market to be good value.

Thank you for your visit and should you wish to visit us again please do not hesitate to drop me an email.

Warm Regards

Kyle Borg
kyle@lhcmalta.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This apartment complex is located in Mellieha Bay, just a few minutes walk from the beach and many restaurants. If you arrive by plain, save yourself the cab fare and take bus X3 to Birkirkara and then bus 41 to Luna busstop. It will only cost you €1,50 and an hour and 15 minutes.

The lobby of the aparthotel looks nice, the receptionists are friendly and there is free wifi in the lobby. There are a few lounge areas, two or three restaurants inside, a pool outside and a nice rooftop pool. The rooftop pool has a nice view and the food is good and affordable. I had a chicken salad here and it was the best one I ever had! They frequently organize entertaining nights, we went to the karaoke night but this wasn't really fun.

The room/studio is very basic, don't expect too much. The bed is small and a bit hard, the kitchen is small but is enough. There was also a very small tv some tables and a small balcony. The bath room was clean, a bit old fashioned but it sufficed. I wouldn't want to be here for weeks but for a few days it was okay.

I had a pleasant stay here and I can recommend this place if you are looking for a affordable, well located place to sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kyleborg, Owner at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Hello Ronaldo070,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that you would recommend us.

I am pleased that the hotel location, facilities, and food were to your liking. I shall certainly let the Chef know that you enjoyed his Chicken Salad. 

Many of our rooms have been refurbished and this winter we shall be continuing the refurbishments so that we bring them up to high standards.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope that you will visit us again soon.

Kyle Borg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The 1st thing that hits you when you walk through the lobby is how absolutely spotless this hotel is, something that is carried on throughout the hotel...bars, restaurants, pools and in particular rooms.
The interior design of the accommodation is spaceiouse and modern making good use of bright colours and modern finishes.The kitchen was well equipped. The beds we found to be very comfortable, particularly as very good quality semi-orthapedic mattresses are used.
Air conditioning and a fan came at no extra charge! During our two week stay I lost count how many times towels were changed and the room cleaned! something that in my expieriance most certainly wouldn't be the norm in other hotels! when we asked for extra pillows in no time at all our request was granted.
Although we were self catering we did dine one evening and opted for the buffet, we had carrot/ginger soup,(yum), chicken fillet with mushroom sauce (their was also plaice, pork, a maltese dish, a large selection of salads, pasta's and a selection of vegetables all beautifully cooked and flavoured well. We finished the meal off with a lemon cheese cake. The cost per person was E15.95, we felt this was excellent value especially as you weren't restricted in how much you ate and children were half price.
For those like us self catering their is a shop in the hotel that was open 7.30/6pm, the staff are very friendly and should you require something in particular will try and accommodate you, the rolls are fresh every morning and do go rather quickly! Comparing the prices with other local food shops they come out very well.
Entertainment is provided in the evenings and although we didn't attend judging by the large crowds that did I can only assume it was "a hit".
Their are two pools at this hotel, one in the courtyard (recommended for children) where the parents can relax around the pool and also order bar service or have lunch ect, but my favourite has to be the roof top pool suggested for adults, we loved this, the views are amazing! the water warms up gradually by the sun as the day goes by and again their is full bar service up their, the other thing I liked was the wonderfull roof terrace area with plants and separate litte areas for a little more privacy.
The Luna is very well situated, it is a4/5 minute walk from what I believe to be Maltas best beach, Mellieha. You can get to pretty much anywhere on the island from here, the bus stops minutes from the luna (you can see the stops from the hotel) buggiba (touristy sea side strip) or Valletta (capital malta, loads shops!) or even to the ferry for gozo/comino)
A Dive Centre also operates from the Luna, by all accounts this is one of the better run dive centers where you can have a begginners session at snorkelling or diving from 35e! or for the more advanced endless possibilities! definitely on my to do list next time !
To finish this review no review would be complete without a mention of the care and attention given by the staff, It is refreshing to meet a so many staff in one hotel that actually enjoy what they do and want to please each and every customer, who are genuinely interested to know if you slept well or did you enjoy your meal or is their anything else they can do for you, It is this level of service and commitment that will keep us all coming back again and again. Thankyou for making our holiday such a pleasure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Kyleborg, Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Hello Curraghoo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, your comments are very important to us and we appreciate your feedback.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the accommodation and facilities to be to your liking. I am also pleased to hear that you found the Buffet to be very good value for money and the menu offered you plenty of choice.

It is nice to know that you had time to visit the roof top pool; I quite agree with you that the view is simply amazing from up there!

All our staff enjoy meeting and greeting guests and I am sure many will remember you should you decide to return to us for another visit.

Thank you for spending your holiday with us. Don’t forget to drop me an email should you wish to visit us again in the future. We hope to see you again very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My first time to Matla and I'm so pleased to have chosen Luna complex and this area to stay. Great beaches and an excellent location to catch cheap buses to see the rest of Matla. Ferries to Gozo and Cimuno just a small bus ride away. Clean hotel and helpful staff. Great value for money place to stay

• Stayed June 2014
Hello Earthlingwilltravel,

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the location and the facilities to your liking.

Should you wish to return please do not hesitate to drop me an email and I hope to see you again in the very near future.

Thank you for your review, your comments are appreciated.

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Luna is good hotel. Best location, Big rooms, frendly personal. There is one nuance. Not clean floor. Personal bus station. If I came to Malta again stayed in the same hotel. I`m share it hotel to friends.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Bookcyprus.com

Hello ElenaNasonova,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am happy to hear that you found the hotel to your liking. It is always good to receive feedback, your comments appreciated.

It is very important to us that the Complex is kept very clean and a floor that was not clean is very unusual. I shall be speaking to the housekeeping regarding the floors to ensure there are no problems in the future.

If you would like to visit again please do not hesitate to drop me an email. We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Just returned from a 10 day stay in this hotel and found the location excellent for the beach and main town of Mellieha. The walk to the town is up a steep hill but there are regular buses which are not expensive. The hotel itself was clean and well kept. Our room was basic and a bit "tired" with an extremely uncomfortable bed but that aside the room facilities had everything required for basic meal preparation. The communal facilities in the hotel are good with two pools. The staff are friendly and I would have no hesitation in returning.

Room Tip: Showers in standard rooms are better than those over the bath in the superior rooms as the standard...
Hello pinkgirl70,

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your 10 day stay and found our location to your liking. I am sorry you found the room a little basic, but you will be pleased to know that we are continuing with the refurbishment of our rooms this coming winter, to bring all rooms up to high standards.

Should you wish to return, please do not hesitate to drop me an email. We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed at Luna in 1996 when Tony ran the apartments and made our holiday special. The complex has grown since then and I think it has lost something along the way. We booked through a tour operator for some security and before arrival I had emailed Luna and requested a quiet room as my husband had been seriously ill last year and this was our first chance to get away and relax. I was told this would be no problem and they would put us on a higher floor in a quiet area.
We arrived at about 9.45pm and were pleasantly surprised at the new layout. The reception staff were helpful and polite.
We were shattered and so went to bed at around 11pm. We were woken at 5.45am by horrendous banging from the corridor outside our room, we were located next to an adjoining door between the 2 blocks and someone was coming back and forth with a green wheelie bin.
We decided to get up and on opening the curtains, realised yes, we were on the highest floor but right above the pool area. This area is also used for the entertainment 4 times a week, with music or karaoke.
After being woken between 5.45am and 6.30am every morning with the banging, I decided to speak to reception on the fourth day as it seemed my room request had been ignored! The young girl was very sympathetic and said she would speak to the Manager asap.
We were now being woken up and when trying to get back off to sleep we were being woken up for a second time by kids screaming in the pool area or the man cleaning the area with a hoover type machine at 7am.
We went through reception later that day and the young girl said she had spoken to the Manager and he would see what he could do for us.
Happy that the situation was being dealt with, we carried on with our holiday but spent a lot of the time out due to the noise etc.
We did not hear anything from the Manager until we were asked to see him in his office and this was 8 days after I had first complained. He called me in and was rude and defensive from the start, he asked me what did I want him to do, he said the cleaning staff did not start until 7.30 every morning and that the noise was other guests. Unless I am losing it, guests don't walk round the hotel in the morning with trolleys full of towels and sheets or dragging wheelie bins!! He said we were in a new room and high up so he had fulfilled the request. I again explained my husband had nearly died the year before and this was a well deserved break and I wanted it to be special. He again said I don't know what you want from me, he offered to show me another room but with 2 days to go it seemed pointless.
The next morning, I woke to the sound of birds, no banging or crashing about at about 7.30am. So was this just a coincidence that the morning after my complaint the noises didn't happen.
I may sound like a moaning Minnie but this holiday may have been our last one abroad and I wanted it to be as perfect as it could.
A word of advice to all prospective customers, book direct, we had this shoved down our throats in every thing we did, free air con if you book direct, preference to the location of your room if you book direct (maybe this is where we went wrong!!) daily maid service if you book direct etc.
I expect Trevor the Manager will try to put some sort of response to this post to justify his attitude and lack of customer service, 8 days is not a good timespan to get back to someone.
There is nothing that can give us back this part of the holiday as we were tired every day but the rest of it was amazing and the Maltese people are very special to us as you will see on my post about local restaurants.
The other staff at Luna are fantastic and special thanks to Tracy in the restaurant, who made breakfast a pleasure and bringing my cuppas up to the roof pool!!
Also another moan when people said the mattresses were hard they are not joking!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kyleborg, Manager at Luna Holiday Complex, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Lyn,

I wanted to personally apologize for the discomfort we caused during your stay. I am very sorry I was not around to assist in this situation; unfortunately, I was unable to be at the hotel last week.

I remember your email requesting a high floor and a quiet room, in fact I had immediately called Trevor Galea who handles our bookings to allocate such a room; in fact we moved you from a lower floor to a higher one to fulfil your request. The early morning noise that you experienced is un-excusable, I will be speaking to housekeeping to see why such noise is being caused; housekeeping shifts start at 6:30 am on the public ground floor areas and roof top pool. It is only at 8 am that cleaning of departed rooms commences.

We do like to encourage guests to book direct as this offers added value to their stay. With agents this added value is not available as the agents themselves opt for the lower rates.

I am glad that Tracy and the rest of the team were fantastic to you. You mentioned Tony, (my Granddad) indeed he is still around, you find him most mornings having breakfast in the Twilight Restaurant.

Again I apologies for the discomfort caused and for not being around to rectify this.

Kyle

Been to Luna Holiday Complex? Share your experiences!