“Exceptional” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Qawra, Malta
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

First timer visiting this restaurant in the very quiet area of Ghadira, Mellieha. Don't let the modest facade mislead you...the restaurant is very cozy and the staff are very nice and friendly. I don't usually opt for seafood but I did here and I do not regret it one bit. Every dish is genuinely prepared and it shows. Service is fast and well timed. Portions are just right. Pesce San Pietro was absolutely perfect. Recommended to locals and foreigners alike. Top notch !

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

94% Recommend
“Simply the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I first found out about this gem through Tripadvisor, it being ranked one of the best restaurants in Mellieha, and decided to visit the website www.xatbarestaurant.com in order to view the menu. When we first arrived at the restaurant on a Saturday evening we were given a warm welcome by the hostess Sarah, who is the most helpful when it comes to suggesting options from the fresh food selection, especially fresh fish available.

We ultimately decided to have Mushrooms in Garlic and Mussels as a starter and Lobster and Fillet as our Main course. All of these dishes were so fresh and delicious. It was my first time trying the lobster and I wasn't disappointed at all - in fact it has become one of my favourite dishes, especially with the thermidor sauce which is served with it - Mmmmm :) ! Complimentary Garlic Bread was also served as an appetizer, as well as Fresh Vegetables and Potatoes with our main course. I also managed to have a look at the Mixed Seafood Platter from another table, and it looked so appetising - I'm guessing the odds are that next time that's what I will be trying out! ;)

As dessert we had the Apple Pie and Homemade Maltese Pudding - which as Sarah herself explained is made by her mum herself according to the old recipe. At the end of our meal, Ray the chef, who is also Sarah's husband came to our table to ask if everything was to our liking, which I thought was a very nice touch.

I definitely recommend visiting this cosy family-run restaurant. We will definitely return :)

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Tasteful food, good service, fine prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I`ve been there with a friend of mine. My starter was mussels in whitewine sauce, and the main course is a wienerschnitzel from veal. My friend ate a seafood and salmon pasta. With 3 kinnies we paid around 32 € together.
The wienerschnitzel was soft and tasty, not overcooked and not rear, and the sides was tasteful as well. The mussels was amazing as well, and fresh! The pasta was good as well.
Extra: the maltese village design is fantastic! Staff as well!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alicante, Spain
“small maltese restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a lovely small maltese restuarant. It is run by a husband and wife with a nephew serving at tables. The restuarant has a nice cosy feel to it and the food is lovely would definately recommend it

• Visited November 2012
Hastings, United Kingdom
“What a pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We arrived in Meliieha and we were a bit disappointed about the location but what a revelation, we found 3 restaurants in the area that would challenge any of ours at home. The staff were an absolute pleasure, funny but not over familiar,food was wonderful all brilliantly cooked but above all ix xatba the welcome given by Sahra and Ray (and don't forget mum) was exceptional. We would recommend this place to anybody that goes to this area, throw away the guide book and stick to places like ix-xatba. I do not feel I will be going back to Malta with regret as I wish we had somewhere like ix-xatba in this country. I will just finish this by hoping Sahra and Ray and family read this as I would like them to know how much they contributed to the enjoyment of our holiday. Please trust me if you are in the area pop in and say Sue and John sent you. You won't be disappointed. P.S the best Irish coffees I have ever had.

• Visited October 2012