“GOOD LOCATION, BAD SERVICE............” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 82 Restaurants in Mellieha
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Perfection. It is a strong, subjective, controversial and hard-to-define concept. But we are driven by that Holy Grail - to create the perfect pizza. Sometimes we get it right. No. Most times we get it right. Every single detail is taken care of. Leave nothing to chance. Every single pizza has to be a work of art. Every single pizza has to be a masterpiece. Every single pizza has to be as if it was your last pizza while on death row.
MALTA
“GOOD LOCATION, BAD SERVICE............”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Went with a group for my daughter's 29th birthday. I had been told that the pizza was the best on the island. Pizza was OK but certainly nothing extraordinary. The real problem was the service. The fact that our servers did not speak or understand Maltese or English resulted in my daughter's pizza going to the wrong person and then having to wait for a new pizza. 2 of our party ended up with their pizza's AFTER the rest had already eaten !!! If you accept groups, you have to serve the meals together..........the worst thing is somebody eating whilst you are left without food.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“I love the Pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I love going back for the Pizza. Its different to any other pizza on the island. Some people don't like it I love it. Light, simple and not overloaded with cheap useless ingredients but a little good flavoured home-made toppings. Great relaxed atmosphere as its out of the way in Mistra Bay.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Food is good but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I've heard a lot about this place and wanted to try it out.

The pizza was really good even though the bottom part of the dough was a bit overcooked. It was light and that made it enjoyable to eat. So if you’re after a pizza full of ingredients, which makes you feel bloated after 3 slices, this is not your place.

The orgasmic chocolate mousse was good but nothing orgasmic.

All in all, it was a bit expensive considering you are eating a pizza… however I would give it another shot, perhaps try the one in Valletta.

A Tip: If you are sitting outside make sure you get some mosquito repellent.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Malta
“These people must be kidding!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

It was my first visit to this place, but were were with a group of people who have been here before. They claimed the pizza at this place is good so we opted for this restaurant on a Saturday evening.

What put me really off was the fact that when the waitress came to take our orders, someone who ordered a chicken ceaser salad was told that this was not possible since they had no chicken available. Pizza capricciosa was also not available since funghi (mushrooms) were also not available. Both items were on the menu and we were not warned upfront that some items were not available. I consider chicken and mushroom as basic ingredients in any kitchen(even in a household kitchen!) but apparently not here! Another strange fact is that the capricciosa comes without boiled eggs and that you cannot order the boiled egg as an extra ingredient.

The food was 'edible' but not impressive.

Service is what I would call 'basic' and we also experienced a hitch since a pizza which had to come with extra parma ham arrived without parma ham. Action was taken but after the previous hiccups it was just the 'cherry on the cake'.

So I you still want to go to Margot's, call for reservation, and unless you feel like a pizza margherita (hopefully they always stock tomato sauce and flour) check if you need to take any ingredients with you! If you speak no english take your dictionary as well...and you always pay by credit card stop at the nearest ATM since they don't accept credit cards.

Good luck!

Visited September 2012
“A happy place for foodies: superb ingredients, even for the simplest dishes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We make a point of going to Margo's whenever I have to go to Malta.

The dining area in the lush garden (a rare find on this island) is ideally lit, tables are set well apart from each other, so patrons won't encroach on each other.
It gets busy, as it should, but you're in your own world -or you can focus on the business at hand.

The indoor dining areas (by the wood-fired pizza oven and in the main hall) are welcoming and warm.
The place is well maintained and the cosmopolitan, young staff are always tidy, pleasant and prompt.

The menu is simple, but really enticing. They make some great salads (the only place in Malta that I know to have decent chicken and my favourite:with Danish-style chicken liver patè),plus lasagne that rival homemade emiliane and a well-thought out range of pizzas.
On our last visit our party had 4 different types of pizza.The Margherita is flawless and made w/luscious buffalo mozzarella (and if you think you can't mess up a Margherita, you need some schooling before eating out again)
The Cavaliere is rich and succulent.
The Stagionale (seasonal) was topped with veggies at their peak.
My Affumicata was topped with traditionally cold-smoked, home-made Italian-style sausages and pancetta. The crust was just perfect: a proper Napoletana.

Rum baba, Valrhona chocolate mousse, creme caramel or delectable pastiera napoletana for dessert.
Premium ingredients are used throughout, but pizza prices vary between approx.€6 and €12.Starters €5-8.The mark-up on wines is sensible.

This latest visit was supposed to be a working dinner among colleagues and it turned out to be better than a corporate retreat: we shared and tasted the assorted pizzas, drank good wine, had a good laugh and set the world to rights in the process...
P.S.
I have a strong feeling that reviewers who posted negative reviews have an axe to grind: a local colleague tells me that's how it's done there. Allegedly, the owner rubbed someone the wrong way for trying to set up an organic chicken farm (on designated farmland, no less) where some clown wanted to open a night club -cue obvious jokes. I hear neither has materialised. Incidentally, the farm idea would have been great: I'm clearly not a vegan, but I do believe that better raised, humanely treated animals are healthier and tastier.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere