“Five star setting spoilt by penny pinching” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tabaiba Princess

Save Saved
You added Tabaiba Princess to your Saves list
Tabaiba Princess
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda. Tour Operador Tui, s/n | Campo Internacional, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #15 of 65 hotels in Maspalomas
Sconnie
“Five star setting spoilt by penny pinching”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a great holiday despite paying five star prices for a three star experience. The Tabaiba Princess was clearly amazing in its heyday but we were given the impression that the management (hotel or travel agency) have scraped away at the quality to save money for so long it has become a problem.

Good bits
Maspalomas is a lovely area with plenty to do. It's a 15 min walk to the best beach and shops in the area.
The hotel and pools are spotlessly clean.
If you engage politely with the staff, some are very pleasant
A lot of the buffet all inclusive food is surprisingly good quality, you get a free pass to the pay as you go restaurant (but they don't tell you)
There's plenty for kids to do - they will love it

Bad bits
The all-inclusive drinks are non brand. The spirits are very weak making cocktails taste a bit flat.
Drinks are metered out in small portions. At one point there was is one staff member in the all-inclusive and yet 10 in the same area of the 'pay as you go' (the hotel has a mirrored layout).
Rooms are fairly basic, lack power outlets and we experienced some fuses blowing.
You pay for a fridge, use of a safe and wifi.
Premium cost suite rooms have no real advantage...and you still pay for the same 'extras'
The gym is really old and has almost no cardio equipment.

We would go back - but we would probably stay in the non all-inclusive part of the hotel and eat out more often at the beach area.

With a bit of investment and less scratching around for cash this hotel could easily be a proper five star resort.

Room Tip: The entertainment in the lower ground floor is immediately below ground floor rooms. It can be very...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

868 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Hotel was excellent, all staff really friendly. Room was good and views good. The Food was the same a lot not much choice but there is an excellent Chinese restaurant opposite the hotel worth a visit. The pools are the best very large and clean. Lots of sun beds but have to get up early to get a good sun bed by the pool in the sun. Definitely worth a visit to Palmitos park to see the dolphins we got a picture taken with the dolphin which only cost 20euro definately the best park of my holiday.

Worth a visit but think the food gets a bit boring for more than a week.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a week in July. While the pool area is great and the cleanliness of the hotel in general is fantastic the remainder of our stay was disappointing.
We booked on an all inclusive basis and going by reviews I read online I arrived with an open mind.
The food while we didn't starve was average quality but plentiful. The drink on an "all inclusive" basis left a lot to be desired. There is a choice of a red wine a white wine a rose a beer and many spirits. As I can't drink beer and the wine was barely palatable the only option left was spirits. There is no cider option for those who prefer this. Soft drinks were spot on with a choice of coca cola products. The a la carte meal was probably the best of the week however everybody in our party had been ill all that day which we can only put down to food/water consumed at the hotel. We also overheard other guests complaining of the same thing on the same evening.
Staff at the hotel don't seem to speak great English at all.
Due to a late departure we booked a late check out on the last day, only to find ourselves locked out of our room at lunchtime on our last day. When we looked to get back in the staff were barely willing to service our request. My husband was told he hadn't booked a 6pm check out which frustrated us as it had cost us £50 odd extra in addition to our holiday.
Would I return to tabaiba princess or recommend it? In a word No.

• Stayed July 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Myself and my partner visited this hotel earlier in the year so sorry for the late review, end of March beginning of April, both of us are mid twenties.

We opted for all inclusive so stayed in the Tabaiba Princess, half board was next door the Maspalomas Princess, however these hotels are identical so be ware after a drink or two! The grounds are absolutely spotless and maintained a very good standard. Food was excellent morning, noon and night. Drinks flowing all day long. You will certainly not go hungry, after breakfast the pool snack bar opens, then lunch service starts yet the pool bar continues serving all the way to late afternoon, followed by dinner service. As people have already stated, you must wear trousers for the evening meal, first night I turned up in my shorts and yes it was quite annoying that I had to go back to our room to change, but then after thinking about it, if thats how they want to do it, so be it. People say oh yes but these are chino's but where do they draw the line - JUST PUT YOUR JEANS OR PANTS ON AND STOP MOANING!!

If you do fancy a stroll 3 or 4 euros to jump in a taxi down to the Lighthouse at Meloneras where you will find designer shops, fantastic restaurants etc.

I would definitely advise going all inclusive. The only people I found rude during my stay was some British women towards the bar staff. Probably because they hadn't been served within three seconds and weren't all inclusive! I would advise going to the little shop just outside the hotel grounds and paying the deposit for the fridge so you can keep some chilled water in there or beers or whatever you fancy!

Overall a fantastic holiday. Not sure I would return but purely for the fact that theres lots of other places I want to visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I have just returned from this hotel after a week away all inc. After reading all the previous reviews a lot stating how poor the food and entertainment was we both took extra money encase we needed to eat out every evening! – This was not needed!!

We ate at the hotel every night bar one, there was a variety to choose from and it was good quality. Even with how fussy myself and the boyfriend are neither of us found any problems. Breakfast was by far the best with plenty of choice!

The hotel as a whole was clean and around the pool area extremely tidy! Rooms were cleaned every day, beds made and towels changed. The only down side to our room was that instead of a double bed it was two singles pushed together.

The entertainment in the saloon bar was cheesy but with a few drinks in you it was fine. The beach was around a 20 minute walk away, which we made most days sometimes even twice.

We are planning to come back next year, for what you pay there really isn’t any reason to grumble!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hull,UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

These reviews crack me up! Yep, it's naughty of first choice to put the hotel as 5*, it's clearly not...it's not even 3*, BUT it's clean, it's got nice pools and the weather is cracking. If you want variety I would suggest not to go all inclusive. That should cut the moaning of many of these reviews. I found the food great to be honest. Fresh and plentiful. Ok, the wine was a little harsh on the throat after a while, but for what we paid, it was a great price and I'm not grumbling...I added lemonade! Also the entertainment. Well, yes, downstairs is a bit like a morgue and when it is buzzing it's because people tended to get the free drink down their necks to cope. But you go away with good company then what else matters. You make you're own holiday! Again, don't go all inclusive if you want entertainment that knocks your socks off. I had a good weeks break and if I came back I wouldn't go all inclusive. All I would say is some of the staff need to learn how to smile more. Maybe talk to customers...that always helps. But all in all, it is what it is. Sun, cleanliness, and plenty of sunbeds. I was happy with what I paid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Tabaiba and it was great. I think the people who have given poor reviews need a bit of a reality check about what you can get elsewhere for the price you pay at this hotel. We found the food to be good quality and varied and the staff were friendly too. The pool area was spotless and the gardens were gorgeous. The entertainment was a bit hit and miss but on the 'miss' nights it was quite amusing! All in all a great holiday.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Tabaiba Princess? Share your experiences!