“Super holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cay Beach Princess Bungalows

You added Cay Beach Princess Bungalows to your Saves list
Cay Beach Princess Bungalows
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda Touroperador Thomson 4, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Maspalomas
“Super holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one week here in 160 bungalow. Was apprehensive after reading some reviews but was really impressed to be honest. Everyone has their opinion but ours was a fab week in a lovely apartment with two bedrooms for the three of us, could have slept six. Bungalow was basic but nice enough and spacious, very quiet which was great. No cockroaches as people had complained about. Staff were friendly enough. We liked it being outside maspalomas, but was about twenty five min walk along the dried riverbed, not the main road as the rep had told us!! He was t much use at all but we didnt need him for anything as we found out own way around and the supermarkes after speaking to other holiday makers. Dolphin trip was amazing and well worth going even though myself and my five yr old were abit sick on the way back lol. Overall would go back.

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I love this place. The pool areas were clean, the rooms spotless and very comfortable and the staff were friendly.

I would come back here tomorrow if it wasn't booked up so quickly!

I would like to say that my review is older than 2012.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

the rooms are very clean , the staff are really freindly.we went for dinner a the restraunt there at the food is amazing (buffet style).plus at lunch the pool bar is open at 10 till minight.we will proberly stay again next year.

Room Tip: near the pool
dawlish
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here from 5th - 19th August. The whole complex is kept very clean and tidy. Although a bit too far out! Our bungalow was situated next to the busy dual carriageway. The beds were a bit hard. It was hot at night, you couldn't open the shutters because you might find a cat sleeping on your head. Wifi is 28 euros for 2 wks, but signal wasn't strong enough for watching Youtube. The food in the pool bar wasn't brilliant. We went into town most nights for our meal. We went to several different restaurants, none of them come back with your change so make sure you've got near enough the right amount.
We used the supermarket on the complex for basics. Although suggest you sniff the milk before you leave the shop as it was usually off! Things were quite pricey, except for wine, cheese slices and chorizo. Suggest you take a taxi to one of the bigger supermarkets, they're several to choose from and they're half the price.
The pool complex is fab, but there's a shortage of brollies. There were a few incidents involving beds and brollies while we were here. Martin the Suncare man was a pain in the neck. Apart from him it was very relaxing to be around the pool.
Saw only one cockroach in the bathroom. And several others out and about.
On the whole we had an enjoyable holiday and we made friends with a nice family who live near us. We would definitely come back to this resort but probably not to Cay Beach.

Room Tip: Apparently if you go directly to the hotel they have actually got 2 bedroom bungalows.
Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Having just come home from spending two weeks at Cay Beach princess Bungalows , I would like to tell you all what a fab holiday we all had . Firstly yes the Bungalows are basic ,they are however very clean & have everything you need . The staff are lovely , friendly, polite & will go out of there way to help in any way they can , the food at the pool bar is very good the drinks are priced fairly & the local beer is a must served in ice cold glasses . Yes there are cats they are however not the problem that some people have claimed and they do an amazing job of keeping pests at bay .The pool is amazing massive & clean with a life guard on duty all day , and in the two weeks the entertainment both during the day & at night was also very good .
The location to the centre & beach is a simple walk of 15 minutes , the hotel bus or a very cheap taxi ride away . You can also hire bikes very cheaply from lots of shops and as its all flat its a joy to hire one .
We had two bungalows with , my son of 12 , husband & myself in one , & my daughter and partner next door in another , and yes we would all without a doubt choose the Cay beach princess bungalows again . We had exactly the kind of holiday we wanted relaxed close to everything & lots of choice . So thank you to all the staff for helping to make our holiday so lovely.
Two last things to add yes it can be a battle to secure sun loungers in the busy season , this I might add is no different anywhere so my advise get up early , and secondly the hotel shop is there for you so don't moan that the prices are too high , its not Tesco its no more over priced than your local corner shop , and if you want to buy English products be prepared to pay. Jane

Room Tip: From our point the rooms are all very similar with no stairs , and compared to noise levels in other...
Corsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just got back from a two week holiday at Cay Beach Princess Bungalows on a self catering basis (family of 4). We visited this resort in the school summer break between the 5th and 19th August 2013 and was booked through Thompson. This resort is situated 3km from the main resort of Playa del Inglés, and a 30 minutes transfer from the airport. I pride myself in giving honest reviews, to assist other holiday goers to make the right choice. The following is a reflection of my experience at this resort, so please keep this in mind when reading my comments.

Arrival: We arrived late evening (2205) to find one staff member on reception (grumpy night porter), who did quickly book us in and directed us to our bungalow. Rest assured please expect very little assistance on arrival at this resort which didn't give a great first impression. We were given a small map advising us where our villa (165) was, and the family headed off dragging our luggage behind us. This is where the first complication started... there is very little lighting at night and the number on the bungalows are very small with no guidance from any staff members, so it took some time to find our accommodation. A tip if you are visiting this resort... send a group member to find the room before heading off with your bags.

The Bungalow: We read other TripAdvisor comments and found a tip to email the resort [princess@caybeach.com] to upgrade your room to a double bedroom as the Thompson allocated one are 1 bedroom. The response from the Cay Beach Princess was quick and advised us that they would do everything they can to fulfil our request but due to being fully booked it may not be possible. To our surprise our wish was granted and we were allocated a 2 bedroom at an upgrade cost (168 Euros), which was a godsend as we have two teenagers. There is one thing to say about the accommodation at Cay Beach, is that it was very clean and well equipped. So rest assured that you should be happy with the bungalow, however it is very basic if you are used to 5 star hotel rooms. As the resort is nowhere near a beach, please don't expect a room with a view as the only ones that do are poolside, however these will be quite noisy due to most activity is around the pool area. Now the bad thing... the beds are very hard and you will suffer from sleep deprecation throughout your stay. After discussing this with other guests it seems that everyone felt the same, if there is one thing I can say to any staff member reading this is change the mattresses as soon as possible.

The Pools: There is a good pool area available to guests so you can cool yourself off during your tanning sessions. My wife and I tried to do a pool day and a beach day alternatively and the teenagers were happy to stay poolside, however there are a few issues with this facility that the resort needs to sort out before all hell breaks loose (which nearly happened on our stay). This is the old battle for beds and umbrellas which normally happens on every holiday, but to an extreme. Bearing in mind we probably stayed here at the busiest time of the holiday period, but to enable you to get a bed/umbrella you need to be an early riser (6am) to secure a place. We approached the management with this issue and their policy is that you are not allowed to reserve beds or umbrellas and if they were not being used (even if they had towels on them) you were entitled to remove the towel and occupy the bed. When this was attempted by another guest, they were aggressively accosted verbally by the original owners. A lot of people complained about this and the management did not offer any assistance to calm the situation down. If you want to get a poolside bed at this resort you need to join the mass and set your alarm to secure your place, but keep in mind that anyone can steal your spot and umbrella... Cay Beach Princess YOU need to sort this out and have a clear poolside policy that is managed by a member of staff who does not deviate from what has been decided.

The Beach: There is a beach about 30 minutes walk from the complex, or alternatively you can catch the free bus that leaves (10:00, 11:00 and 12:00) and returns (14:15, 15:00 and 16:15). During our stay there were two drivers which are poles apart, Pedro a happy go lucky guy which welcomed his travelling guest and another bus driver that was the grumpiest man I have ever met. The bus will take you to Playa De Maspalomas which is excellent, one side normal and the other nudist beach so if you have kids look out for the signs. The beach is patrolled by excellent life guard service who are always on the lookout for danger and struggling swimmers as the waters are very aggressive to the point that it is surfed by the locals. The sand gets very hot so watch your feet and footwear is recommended when walking on the dry sand. We purchased an umbrella from the complex shop for around 9 Euros which was a godsend in the midday sunshine... all in all the beach was good a tip for you is that we found the nudist area was better swimming as there were no rocks as long as you are ok with people walking past nude.

Food/Drink: The resort does have three places to obtain food a good little supermarket (bit expensive compared to other local ones), a pool bar which serves hot food and the complex restaurant. We only ate at the pool bar occasionally due to cooking our own food and eating out and found it average at that, I am unable to comment on the restaurant as we did not utilize it. However out and about there are lots of places to eat I recommend the 19th Hole and the Grand Italia which is a taxi ride (4 Euros) at Maspalomas, great food reasonably priced. If you want to eat at the Grand Italia you need to reserve a table of get there before nine to avoid waiting for a table as it is very popular. If you have teenage kids like me then the Yumbo Shopping Centre (4 Euros taxi) has a Burger King and you can find a McDonald's on the beach front at Playa de Ingles (4/5 Euros taxi).

Entertainment/Facilities: The entertainment in the evening was not very good and is the normal standard (kids mini disco, ok singer or dance acts, followed by a helping of bingo). But if you are eating out you can get a refreshing rest from this most nights. The facilities at this resort always cost money so if you expect either air-conditioning, wifi, tennis, pool, mini golf, TV... the list goes on you can expect to pay. I am used to all-inclusive resorts so this was a culture shock for me and I was reluctant to fork out for anything. If you are going to pay for wifi do so at your peril it is not very stable and I requested a refund after two day attempting to connect. If you visit a bar/restaurant ask if they have free wifi as most of them do and you can get your fix, download your email and update your facebook status. The hotel activity program is controlled by Mallisa (1 person) who works very hard, saying that most staff do. My son took part in most things and enjoyed himself, however I feel that this could be improved with a team to diversify the program a bit.

Overall Experience: We had a good time and found the staff friendly and complex clean and tidy, there was a few glitches along the way but overall I found the holiday enjoyable. If the management sorted out the pool bed/umbrella/wifi this would have made my experience more enjoyable and less stressful... would I visit again MAYBE, however the big all inclusive hotels at Maspalomas (Hotel Riu Maspalomas), look very inviting and you will save a fortune on taxi fares. I hope you enjoyed this review and found it useful, if you visit this complex/resort then I hope you have a great time.

Room Tip: Email the resort and get a double room appartment if you have teenagers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It's safe to say I was really worried when I started to read the reviews after we booked a deal with Thomson to stay here. I was really concerned by the cockroach problem which seemed to be on a few reviews, along with the horrible staff and horrible rooms. I DID NOT SEE A SINGLE COCKROACH during our stay and after speaking to other guests this was throughout. Either the people who have written reviews previously have over exaggerated or the problem has been resolved. The staff had great sense of humour ! The cats are actually owned by the hotel so I heard by a fellow guest to help minimise the amount of insects cockroaches etc. The cats are clean and friendly and didn't cause a problem . One even had kittens during our stay which children loved! After following the simple map and finding our room easily we found our room to be alot nicer than expected! You have to pay extra for air con and the safe which is pretty standard in Europe. You got your deposits back when you left. The pool area is amazing however it is true that there isn't enough sun beds for all the bungalows. You are issued with a memo upon arrival not to reserve sunbeds. However, this memo is ignored by guests and staff alike. If you want a sun bed you need to get up and reserve one. Pool bar and it's staff we're great for food drinks and cocktails and reasonably priced indeed. I would recommend the breakfast and paid to have this in the hotel one day. The shop is a little pricey but has everything you need. We went on the Aphrodite boat trip and to aqualand and recommend them both, especially aqua land. On the boat trip you get unlimited cava beer and Soft drinks . We also did water sports on the trip for an additional charge. My advice is not to go into playa del ingles at night it's tacky I as a woman felt uncomfortable. Meloneras is alot nicer at night and is only 3 euro in a taxi. The restaurants are to die for and I would recommend the Chinese called chino I think and sushi mex. we ate at these places twice each. I also recommend visiting the dunes they are breathtaking! Would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Cay Beach Princess Bungalows? Share your experiences!