“Slightly disappointed. 3.5 stars, not 5.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Urb Salobre Golf s/n, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #6 of 65 hotels in Maspalomas
Hampshire
“Slightly disappointed. 3.5 stars, not 5.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is vast. Our room was quite a walk from the main lobby. It is easy to get lost until you have your bearings. We were surprised by the mile long drive way. We felt that the hotel was too far away from any night life, not that we wanted anything hectic - just a few restaurants etc. it seemed odd to build a massive hotel in the middle of nowhere...

If you want to stay in the hotel for the majority of your stay and don't like the busy town area, the this is the place for you. If you go out, take everything with you as it's quite a trek to go back if you forget something!

The hotel is modern, clean and tidy. The grounds are well kept. It was nice to see some greenery as the island is generally very baron.

Very slow check in. Reception desk is understaffed and disorganised. We queued with our luggage for nearly 30 mins and there were only a few people in front of us. We couldn't quite work out why it took so long to check in a handful of guests.

Shuttle bus - Guests should not be expected to book on to it in advance. We tried on two occasions without any luck and hired a car out of frustration as we didn't want to stay in the hotel every day. The bus service is not sufficient for the size of the hotel. The service ends too early in the evening so you can't eat out and come back later in the evening. It's almost as if everything is designed to ensure all guests are back in the hotel so they have no alternative but to have dinner there and then spend money in the bar. As no bus service is provided in the evening, you can only get out of the hotel by having a hire car (so no boozy nights out) or by getting an expensive taxi ride.

We were not given any information about the hotel upon check in, aside from a very basic 'map'. The information provided within our room was equally lacking. This meant that it took us most of the week before we found many of the facilities e.g the chameleon restaurant. It would have been helpful if there had been more of an effort to 'sell' the hotel, the area and the island as a whole.

In my opinion, a 5 star hotel should not have a self service buffet. The staff were rushed off their feet trying to clear and re-lay tables. The buffet food is nice, but we tired of it after 3 days and ate in the Chameleon restaurant, which was far, far better. A more intimate setting for couples, instead of the open plan dining area on the first floor. The hotel should adopt a restaurant service as the norm in place of the canteen style buffet. The hot plates struggled to keep the food warm. At dinner, many of the wines on the menu were unavailable.

Breakfast - Buffet style again. The hot water urn is useless as the water only drips out. If you go for breakfast late, be prepared to eat the left overs and hunt for crockery. I struggled to find any tea pots on a couple of occasions. The variety of the food was good though and we particularly enjoyed the fresh fruit.

The room was well kept. The maid service was good in general. There were no tea / coffee facilities in the room. No iron. No ice bucket. No room in the fridge to store anything. It was a fully stocked fridge but you couldn't even store any bottled water. You were charged if anything was moved.

I had to ask for additional towels at reception as they were not replaced.
The pillows were very thin, but the bed was comfortable.
The hot water in the bathroom was intermittent. Very hot to very cold. Not pleasant or relaxing. I took to having baths instead of a shower so that I didn't have to step aside during my shower to avoid the very hot water.

If you want to sit around a pool and maybe squeeze in a round of golf, then this is the place for you. If you want a slightly more active holiday, then hire a car and go looking for fun elsewhere. If you want nightlife, it would be better to stay somewhere more central.

• Stayed September 2013
Cristina M, Product Manager at Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about yoru stay in our hotel. We regret that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. We have shared yoru suggestions with our team and we assure you that we will work on those changes.

We hope you come back to see the changes made.

1,048 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We visited Sheraton Salobre in Gran Canaria for 1 week earlier this year in June 2013. We had an absolutely fantastic time. The location of the hotel allowed us to chill out and feel miles away from normal everyday life. I played golf on the South course three times - the views were spectacular and the condition of the course was very good. The food in both restaurants was delicious and a real treat every morning and evening. The staff were very helpful and the service was excellent. The General Manager Alejandro was very welcoming and made sure everything was perfect for our stay. Hope to visit again very soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cristina M, Product Manager at Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our hotel and enjoyed the golf courses. I am also very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We do look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I went to the Sheraton Salobre Hotel beginning of September this year with my husband, and we were impressed with the fantastic service and very kind staff in the hotel.
The moment we arrived, we have been greeted with a very warm welcome by the reception and everything had been taken care of from that moment.
I am not a fan of lifts, so we walked up the stairs to find our room, and we got lost a bit, as the construction of the hotel is separated into several buildings. I think we walked around for 10 minutes, and then we asked the restaurant staff, and one of them walked all the way with us to our room, which I thought was so nice of him.
The golf course is right next to the hotel, and I personally prefer the South to the North course. We also played on other golf courses on the island, and Meloneras or Anfi Tauro are my preferences.
Unfortunately I got ill half way through the holidays with a tonsillitis,so I had to stay in my room a couple days. I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff bringing me tea and snacks up to the room for which I did not have to pay. They really looked after me well, and even upgraded us to a junior suite so we felt more comfortable. They also drove me to the doctor 15 mins away from the hotel. Really, I travel to many hotels in the world and never encountered such nice staff as in this hotel. I really recommend it to anyone. Just as a little tip: The sunset pool is amazing, great place to relax during the day and enjoy an aperitif in the evening.
Would we come back? No doubt, as we had a great time- even though it was far too short!
Thanks again to all the wonderful staff at the hotel! You guys are great!
C & T

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cristina M, Product Manager at Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We do regret that you fell ill half way through, and could not enjoy our facilities to the maximum, but we hope you come back soon to complete your "Sheraton Salobre Experience".

Thank you for the appreciation shown towards our staff, we do always go the extra mile to make our guests holidays as comfortable as possible.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

just back from 10 days at the Salobre Resort Hotel. Although a large hotel, it is very cleverly laid out, making clever use of the levels - built on a hillside. Stayed on 10th floor, room was amazing, shower and bath in wet room with window, view right out to the hills. A great welcome at reception, bags arrived in room very quickly. Food generally good - breakfast was everything you could want. Dinner (we were half board) was a buffet, mostly good, occasionally disappointing. Great variety. Staff attentive and helpful. Free shuttle into Maspalomas every day at different times, easy to get local buses to explore or walk into local shopping centres. Good restaurants by the lighthouse. Taxi to Maspalomas only 12 euros if needed, comes within 5 minutes. It was a plus being away from the beach and other resorts - just to relax. Great views from the sunset bar on 11th floor - infinity pool amazing and no under 16s. Spa experience and hot stones massage was worth the 90 euros. Chameleon restaurant had to be pre booked but again worth doing. Ten days was about the right time to stay here but overall we had a great time.

Room Tip: free upgrade to superior deluxe when booked with voyage price - best rooms are on 10th and 11th floo...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa for your holidays and writing such a lovely review regarding your stay. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and we are eagerly waiting to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I just got back from a week-long, half-board stay here and it was fantastic!

I was a bit hesitant to go to the Canary Islands--too many Brits(you know what I mean ;) )/menus with pictures/overrun hotels--def not my idea of R&R and what I was expecting, but I have changed my mind and cannot wait to return, the hotel had everything to do with this.

Pros: Great Staff, amazing pools, fabulous rooftop, serene surroundings, fantastic rooms: great bed (better pillows would be welcome)/modern/clean/spacious/well decorated/huge bathroom, spa, golf, great lunch restaurant. I could find almost no fault, and I hesitate to critique too harshly because it felt like everyone who worked there went out of their way to make our experience unforgettable.

Buyer Beware: This hotel is basically on a mountain-top (not sure what the terrain of the island is classified because I was too busy lounging and appreciating pools to inquire). You should have a car to get around or you are at the mercy of the shuttle, last one leaves to Maspalomas at 6.30PM, cab back is 13 EUR. Note: This never varied with different cabbies. It was always within a few cents of the last fare and we didn't always get picked up in the same place. I read reviews that some guests walked places. There is no where close. Closest business is a convenience grocery store that is 1 km on winding inclined road...no thank you. And it ,eans we aere free to explore area beaches and different towns.

Cons: Pillows weren't great. The dinner buffet was average (go for the grill). Italian/Asian nights were better, but you can change to have a dinner at one of the other restaurants (we ate at the Chamelon one night and it was so good) or you can skip and take the lunch instead (which was great), but means you have to go to town for dinner. Would take a point off for this ordinarily, but we only ate at the dinner buffet 3 times in a week.

Overall: If you aren't their to rage/party and want a romantic and/or relaxed vacation, you need to book this hotel! you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cristina M, Product Manager at Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed every aspect of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back at Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa.

Kind Regards,

Sheraton Salobre Golf Reosrt & Spa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We booked this hotel as a family member was getting married here.(coments later)

This hotel is stunning the location is fantastic. Everywhere is neat clean and tidy, what staff there are are very polite, most can speak English. The buffet restaurant staff work so hard and do their best

If you want quiet seclusion, or to play golf every day and are happy to eat at the hotel every night then this is the place for you.

As there are numerous areas which are lacking Ill keep them as short and sweet as possible.

Staff or shortage thereof. It is so obvious that the hotel is understaffed for the number of guests.

In your room
No tea or coffee facilities. However you are entitled to 1per day per person via room service.
No iron or board you have to ask reception to have one sent to you.
No fridge to keep water, wine or anything else chilled. There is a "move it you bought it" minibar
No ice bucket. Even if you did have a bucket you're hard pushed to get ice from the ONE machine
No pool towels. You get these from the towel shack on the 6th floor BUT NOT BEFORE 10am
Shower no sorry wet room. The floor is VERY slippy. Depending which floor you're on close the balcony curtains so nobody can see you as its totally clear glass into the room(see pics) The curtain from the wardrobe to the front door separating the sink area still baffles me when you can see right through the wet room from the bed to the sinks.(see pics)
Check out 12 noon, there is a luggage store and a courtesy room for a shower provided.
Late check out €10ph if its available and only bookable that morning so best to make other plans

Amenities
There are lots of seating area and sun beds. The 45min rule for the saving of sun beds is unenforced so the nice comfy ones up in the Sunset area are gone well before you have finished breakfast. Even after complaining nothing could be done until after 10am meaning the "reservers"
would have finished their leisurely breakfast, probably had a shower and sauntered up to their still waiting comfy sun bed by then.

The hotel shuttle to Maspalomas Beach doesn't start until, Yes you guessed it 10am the last bus back leaves Maspalomas at 5pm. Meaning you wont get a decent spot on the beach and you cant stay down there for dinner unless you get a €10-12 taxi back.

Food and Drink
Apart from the buffet restaurant most of the alternative eating places within the hotel are only open Wednesday to Saturday. The evening buffet(which I didn't try so wont comment on the food or choice) is €34+tax+drinks.
Drinks from the 230 bar Cocktails €8.70 Gordons Gin €5.10 Coca Cola €3.40
Room service Salobre Hamburger €21 Sheraton Club Sandwich €19 Tray charge €5

The breakfast buffet has a fair amount of choice. There are 2 omelette stations! one is tucked away outside so didn't spot it until the 3rd day. Be prepared for a long wait for the ONE automatic toaster which gives your bread a nice golden colour only after 2 or 3 passes through. The hot water urn is very ornate and looks nice but is impractical. You have to turn the tap all the way to get even a dribble of water so most people gave up.
Our biggest annoyance! there is no separate smoking area so clouds of smoke billow when selfish smokers have finished each course of their breakfast.

The Wedding
The setting is amazing, the ceremony was on one level then down to a large courtyard area for champagne and photos then back up for dinner, speeches and disco.
Everything was fantastic until it came to dinner. Admittedly there were a lot of children under 4 but they were evenly spread and for the most were well under control.
It was as though this was the waiting staffs first wedding with a sit down meal. Adults were served before the toddlers, the food was luke warm by time it was served.It was a free bar for 2 hrs but the staff were so slow people had to double up just so they didn't have empty glasses.

All in all I would say this is a lovely place to stay but the management want to stop the penny pinching with staff.

Room Tip: Avoid floors 4-6 as they overlook the buffet restaurant which opens at 0730!!
Dear client,

Thanks a lot for taking time to write a review about Sheraton Salobre Golf & Spa, we highly value your opinion as we are constantly seeking to further improve our services. We are sorry for not meeting your expectations, we have noted down the areas of improvement that you have suggested and will definitely work on them. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the wedding.

kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

RichC576 of Wimbledon must have been at a different hotel to us or he/she invented their ridiculous diatribe.Firstly their inaccuracies or exaggerations........Perhaps his/her batteries were flat because we had no problems connecting with the WiFi on the 11th floor along with many others..Towels were available(for us anyway) on the 6th floor.Their "round trip of 12 floors" could hardly have taken more than 3 mins.(the lifts took3 secs for each floor).This is even taking into account the change of lifts.One did not have to get to a sunbed by 8.30, by about 11am maybe but the hotel has a policy whereby towels may not be left unattended for more than 45mins;then they may be removed.The comments re the Spa pool is correct but seem to imply that there are no other pools.Totally erroneous,there are many beautiful free pools.Also they are very well maintained.We did not use the Gym but did look in,it was well used & as far as we could see all machines were working.They state that there were queues at the lifts;not once did we have to queue and the hotel was full.Incidentally they should check their facts before they unjustifiably quotes figures.......the hotel can not accommodate"1000+" guests. Furthermore the "a la carte"restauraunt is only closed 3 nights per week & not the 4 they state.Criticism of the buffet food was unfair.The guests are international and many people enjoy the sort of food which was provided for both breakfast and diinner but added to the regular dishes there were many alternatives. Here is one of my own complaints,the "hot" food ,even on hotplates were not hot enough,however whilst the food was good,maybe not quite 5 stars.I have never written as much before but Rich,s ludicrous & biassed comments had to be answered. This hotel is absolutely superb to chill out in. Clean and with excellent staff all round. It is off the beaten track & adults may find a car useful as there is a lot to see on the island. The golf course is beautiful & looked pretty challenging. I believe they have good rates for residents and a twilight rate although it never appeared to be crowded. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable week & a return visit would be great.

Dear client,

Our whole team would like to thank you for taking time to write a comment regarding your stay in our hotel and for clearing out the various incorrect statements about our hotel that other users had made. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your holidays with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back again very soon.

Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!