“relaxing, clean and good facilities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Oasis

You added Hotel Riu Palace Oasis to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Oasis
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Plaza de las Palmeras 2 | Maspalomas - Gran Canaria, 35106 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain (Formerly Gran Palace Maspalomas Oasis)   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Maspalomas
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“relaxing, clean and good facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Just returned from Maspalomas, RIU Palace Oasis - very good hotel, relaxing with garden rooms with sun terraces chairs & loungers - good tennis courts, paddleball court, golf cage,hot tubs, pool small but nice & well looked after by pool attendants - beds etc. Restaurant standards and selection good and service very attentive even when busy waiters were good.
Bars and drinks service good with plenty of choice and wine and cava lovely.
lots of different nationalities and access to beach and walks along lovely promenade.

Room Tip: garden rooms lovely terraces - but near to bar / entertainment in evening
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed for 10 nights and my first impression was that the hotel was really quiet, maybe too quiet for us but once we settled in and found our way around we really began to enjoy it.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff are very pleasant and helpful. The rooms are spacious with plenty of wardrobe space, there is also a fridge.
Both the service and the food are very good. The lunchtime food got a little repetitive over the 10 days but the evening meal was always a very good a varied choice and breakfast offered everything you could possibly want for breakfast, very good indeed.
The real bonus for me at this hotel was the gardens. Sunbeds are dotted around the very large garden area so if you like your own little spot on your own its always available. The gardens attract lots of birds and its a lovely relaxing place to chill out in.
The pool area also doesnt get too crowded either, sunbeds are not an issue at the pool, garden or jacuzzi area, you can get them at any time.
The hotel is located right near the beach and there is a gate for access which all guests get issued a pass key for.
I would say this is a lovely hotel for a relaxing break in the sun. Its not a lively hotel and for all there is entertainment every night at the garden bar it might not be to many peoples taste but that wasnt an issue for us as we preferred to take a walk along the seafront on an evening.
The main bus stops for Maspalomas is literally a 5 min walk from the hotel and you can get everywhere by bus. We visited Puerto Mogan, Playa del Ingles, Puerto Rico and Las Palmas all by bus, very easy to get around so no real need to hire a car.
A good hotel for couples and families with young children. We would visit again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We have just left the hotel after a 2 week stay.
Food was great with so much to choose from and good quality.
Rooms were very spacious, there were 3 people in ours and still plenty of room, great shower too.
Also there was a fridge and safe included in our room for no extra charge.
When we looked at the hotel after booking we thought the pool looked small but after arriving realised it was big enough with plenty of sun loungers for everyone. There was no big rush every morning for loungers as the pool man who worked there 'Dominic Falcon' saved loungers for everyone each day he was great (Of course we tipped him as we were glad not to get up at 6am each morning to save our own)
All of the staff at the hotel were great, friendly and couldn't do enough for us.
The beach is just at the back of reception passed the large jacuzzi and is lovely and great to swim in. There are some small restaurants if you come out of the beach gate and turn right which looked good value for money.
However we ate at a Italian on the beach front where the Steaks were good but pizzas not so.
I would highly recommend this hotel to family and friends after our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 127 & 128, great location for restaurants within hotel, pool and beach. The...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lisbon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I just got back from another 10 days in Rui Palace Oasis in gran Canarias, and as usual, we had a great time.
I know that the decor of the hotel is quite dated, but is is kept very clean and tidy. It is not a modern hotel okay, like its neighbour Palm Beach (which is a great hotel from my previous stay), but where else do you get such an oasis? Beautiful palm trees everywhere, immaculous gardens and very friendlt staff. Everytime I go there, it seems like going home.
The all inclusive deal is OK. You do see repetative food in a 10 days stay, but there is always somethnig to eat. You have to be very picky if you dont find anything to your taste, especially during dinner. The lunch has less choice, but then you dont want to eat all that much during lunch. Of course you cannot expect any gourmet food in an all inclusive. But for what you pay, I think it is a good deal.
The beach is right across the street. Another plus.
It is a German hotel, but I always felt equally treated in all my Riu stays. and believe me, I was there when Germany won the World Cup, I did not feel harassed, never!
I thnk what Riu needs is another swimming pool. They certainly have enough space for this.
I will continue going to Riu resorts because I like their service. The staff are simply great!

Room Tip: The rooms are basically all the same. Just stay away from some rooms facing the car park and you wil...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Oldbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week in one of the ground floor garden view rooms. I can understand why Riu are planning to replace the hotel as the outside of it is a little drab and old fashioned when compared to the new, modern hotels. The inside, however, looks to have been recently refurbished and is clean, modern and classy.

The Room

Our room was a ground floor, garden view room on the side nearest the sea. The room was clean and nicely furnished with plenty of storage space. We had a good size terrace straight onto the garden and the room's location meant we had no-one above, below or even next to us as the one side adjoining the building was mostly corridor down to the next room. For us, it had to be one of the best room locations in the hotel. The biggest flaw for me was the weak air conditioning with only one of the two vents working and with little in the way of airflow. The ceiling fan also didn't appear to move much air. The first night was uncomfortable due to the heat, but from then on we managed to keep a bearable temperature through keeping the aircon and fan on 24/7 along with keeping the blackout curtain closed during the day. The beds were firm but comfortable for us, although the pillows weren't great, which I find is a common thing in these sort of hotels. The room also contained a fridge that contained bottles of water as part of the all inclusive. If you need extra water, it's just a case of asking for them at recption where they keep bottles behind the counter.

The TV offered a variety of European channels, although only two in English - Sky News and BBC World News. There was plenty more variety for the German guests as I counted seven German channels, but who comes on holiday to watch TV?

Grounds

The best feature of this hotel, and the bit they need to leave untouched when they rebuild, is the amazing gardens. As the name implies, it truly is an oasis with tall palm trees, water features, well manicured lawns and plenty of bird life. We spent a couple of days lounging in the gardens, enjoying the peace and watching the birds including parrots, hoopoes, blackbirds, a guineafowl and a Muscovy duck. The staff do an excellent job of maintaining the grounds and I really hope this feature is retained.

Staff

On the whole, the staff were very good. The reception staff spoke perfect English (along with various other languages), but the levels of English were patchy among the bar and restaurant staff. They did seem to speak better German, which is not surprising as most of the hotel's guests are German. Some of the restaurant staff were a little slow in clearing plates and would occasionally forget to bring milk with the coffee at breakfast, although they did seem to be constantly busy. However, the waiter for our allocated table's area in the evening was excellent and efficient,

Food/Drink

This is the one area where this hotel perhaps lets itself down slightly. There was nothing specifically wrong with the food available, but after a week we felt there was perhaps a lack of variety. There was certainly plenty of choice of dishes and enough food available, but there didn't seem to be as much rotation and variety each days as we had at the Riu Palmeras last year. For instance, on our first morning there was fresh pineapple at breakfast, but we never saw any again after that. The fruit consisted of mostly melon. The bacon was also not the amazing quality that we had at the Palmeras. However, each meal did offer plenty of fresh salad items of a quality we couldn't fault. I did like the ability to build your own burgers or hotdogs at the lunch restaurant with pre-cut buns as it allowed me to get creative with the available ingredients (although it was the only meal to lack available slices of cheese). If you feel the need to eat out one evening, as we did, there are some excellent restaurants a few minutes walk away on the Boulevard El Faro (see my review of Maximilians Restaurant).

The drink selection was perhaps slightly limited, although there were premium brand spirits available such as Johnnie Walker and Jim Beam. They could do with increasing the number of cocktails they offer as they didn't seem prepared to make things not on the menu (such as a Margarita), even if they had the ingredients. At least they put plenty of alcohol into the drinks and didn't skimp on measures! The only beer they have on tap in Amstel and it's a shame they don't promote a more local brand (the Palmeras had the Canarian brand Dorada). The staff have no problem with guests taking drinks back to the room so you can enjoy them on the balcony or terrace.

Facilities

The hotel has a small outdoor covered gym which I saw a few people using but never got around to using myself (I did mean to, honest). The equipment looked reasonably new and maintained. There is a lovely large jacuzzi in the garden which offers a nice way to relax at the end of a hard day's sunbathing. There is also an outdoor area with a pool table, air hockey, table football and table tennis table. There's also tennis courts and a childrens pool as well as the main pool, a putting green and a small driving range net. One of the outdoor bars has a stage for the evening entertainment, although we weren't interested in any of the acts. What we did see of one act didn't particularly impress us.

Indoors they have a bar lounge with a projector that was being used to show World Cup matches. There's also a separate TV room, a games/bridge room, some internet-connected PCs and wifi available in the reception area. It's a shame they haven't got widespread wifi, but I can understand them not spending the money on it if they are planning to knock down and rebuild quite soon. As it is, you get quite a gathering of people with tablets, phones and laptops in the reception sitting areas in the early evening before dinner. However, it's also nice not to be distracted by emails and internet all day, so it wasn't really a big deal for me.

The other major selling point of this hotel is its proximity to the beach. There is a card-operated gate (you get an access card with your room key) that goes straight onto the beach promenade. There's also plenty of visible security patrolling the hotel and grounds day and night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Heckmondwike, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Cracking hotel ideally positioned to see the stretch of Sand dunes at Maspalomas . A short (or long depending on age/health & fitness) walk across these dunes (if you don't mind the naked bathers) is the gay friendly resort of playa del ingles . Very lively & bustling. Not my cup of tea, BUt not a bad place to visit .
Outside the hotel is a small bus station where i caught a bus the other way up to Amadores , i highly recommend you do this. It cost 3 euros 10 on the bus and well worth it for amadores beach ! The hotel staff at reception told me the cost, times , & which stop to catch the bus . Also there is an information stand in the bus station with nice polite staff in that also helped .
The hotel itself was fantastic ! Large enough to walk around the grounds and enjoy the gardens & wildlife . But still small enough to feel friendly & welcoming , which the staff was ! great staff. with the exception of my Thompson rep, who i never saw my whole trip . sadly . The pool has a shallow side running down 1 side and then a deeper end . Plenty of sun loungers , just ask the pool attendant to find you 1/2/3 or however many you need with a small table or a parasol and they are more than happy to help. Hidden within the gardens there is a small baby pool , tennis courts , games tables & an entertainment bar . The entertainment is outsourced ( so no riu song ! ) found it ok . I actually watched the football world cup in the sports area for most of my entertainment .
The food is the usual riu stuff, good selection at breakfast. Fry up , cereal , fruits , yogurt ect ect. Lunch @ the snack bar the usual pizza burgers sausage chips & then fish veal pork . great salad selection & fruits . ice creams & puddings good too. Dinner however was excellent ! a range of foods to be taken in by . I ate scorpion fish for the 1 st time 1 ,was alright . However , its seated times . you have to but your name down for either the 6;30 sitting or the 8;30 sitting and they do have a fairly strict dress code. Shoes & shirts are recommended but they seem ok with unbranded t shirts & trainers . strictly no shorts tho ! !
i would definatly return to this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

It is not the fault of the hotel that your tour operator took you the wrong location also having been there many times the hotel pool is not 2 metres deep throughout. I know this because I can stand up in it and I am much smaller than 2 metres. A very misleading review.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Oasis? Share your experiences!