“amanda ( manchester )” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Turbo Club

You added Turbo Club to your Saves list
Turbo Club
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ La Libra no 2 Campo Internacional, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #29 of 65 Hotels in Maspalomas
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“amanda ( manchester )”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

jus returned after a week with our children age 4 & 12
we got to the club turbo round about 8 in the eveining , the first half hr was spent waitin for someone to greet us at reception , we were then were acknowledged by a grumpy guy who first words were restaurant is now closed as its 8 .30 !! myself an other guests were shocked as if he was there to begin with we would have made dinner !!!
after settle in the holiday became better with each day , the pools were lovely an great as we could see the chidren at all times , the rooms were spacious an clean an the staff worked hard to keep everyone entertained from the animation team to the bar staff etc !
the hotel is cosy and everyone gets to know everyone making a relaxing time
we did not like the food but then again never do on all inclusive ( buffet stlye ) but we always plan to eat out few times anyway , having said that we save a a fortune on drinks etc etc booking bargains like the club turbo ,one more thing to mention is the heat at night !!!! make sure you hire fan or 2 its major hot ! shame really as this is the only thing that is a major pain be fab if they got air con sorted !

overall a fantastic time , met some great people , and actually sad to leave !

Room Tip: 116 good spot
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
porthleven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have just returned from 2 weeks holiday, we are afamily with 2 children aged 7 and 5.
What can i say but this holiday was great. the apartments are spacious, very clean a bit dull in decor, but really do you spend much time looking at the walls!!
Grounds are immaculate, gardeners is there every day tending to the gardens. All the staff work really hard, In our experience they will try and do anything for you. It was our daughters 5th birthday whilst there, the kitchen staff, decorated a table for her, and arranged a beautiful birthday cake with candle, which they bought into the resteraunt with lights dimmed, singing happy Birthday, excellent.
Taking of the resteraunt, I personally thought the food excellent, varied with some traditional such as paella and Calamari, and for the more traditional eaters meat and veg. My husband and i had the best pork we have ever tasted, just a word of warning to check the meat that comes of the griddle is completly cooked, a couple of times the pork was a little pink in the middle.
Drinks were fine, some an acquired taste, but we soon acquired it!!
Pools are great, they are deep, but you will be amazed at the number of children suddenly learning to swim because they had to, including our 4 and 364 days year old girl.
Free bus service to the beach excellent punctual and convenient.
We would definatly return again, in fact we are a bit worried if you we went elsewhere it wouldnt be as good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The many plus points far outweigh the negatives in this lovely little hotel. What we liked most is that there is only 120 rooms. This meant that friendships were easily established by adults and children alike. My 14 year old daughter, for example, reckons she made 20 friends. We also felt happy to leave the kids go off to play in a safe environment.

There's always lots of activities for everyone to take part in. My 7 & 9 year olds enjoyed football, table tennis and darts to name just a few. My favourite was the water polo.

The food was very tasty and always plenty of choice. Although the menu can be a little repetitive, new items appeared right up to the end of our 11 night stay. As already mentioned by other guests, the queue for the toaster is a pain which isn't helped by people adjusting the setting when they don't know what they're doing. Turning the dial up doesn't make the toast ready quicker - it makes the bread travel through so fast that you have to put it through 2-3 times. The queue at the pool bar occasionally got a bit long, but generally not too bad

I found the extremely hardworking staff to be friendly and helpful.

I emailed the hotel direct to request two rooms on the upper floor overlooking the main pool and entertainment area, and the hotel accommodated my request to the letter. It could be a bit noisy up to 1 am. If you want something more peaceful ask for a room near the top pool.

The rooms are clean and serviced frequently. Be prepared for the odd cockroach. The beds were fine, but the pillows were not. Most of the family slept well, although the temperature became a bit stifling for the last couple of nights.

The free beach bus is great and if you get the 2pm return you can still make it in time for lunch. Ask for a packed lunch if you want to stay longer.

The nearby holiday world (5 min walk) is a little expensive, as is aqualand which is a 4 euro taxi ride away. Get there early and get on the big rides straight away before the queues build up. Don't forget your flip-flops or your feet will be pan fried in minutes. You also have the opportunity to book another visit for just 8 euros a person before you leave.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We returned yesterday after a very good holiday in turbo club. We are a couple with two children aged 12 and 10. I had read some reviews about this place and have to say I thought I was going to starve. However we arrived just as lunch was being served and from the very first day my worries were eased. My kids can be a bit fussy but always found something to eat. The rooms are very clean and ok you are not right next to the beach but you can get a free bus and then if you want a taxi back or bus comes back 3 times in a day. The taxi is only 4 euros back from beach. Also 4 euros to aqualand if this is on your trip list. There is a taxi rank right outside the hotel. The entertainment is not great in the evening but good for kids aged up to 12 if they like to dance. We went out most days and hotel will do a packed lunch if you order the night before. They give you rolls ham and cheese, and lots of fruit. Plenty as it was so hot we didn't want to eat much in the day anyway. Great holiday for the money..

• Stayed August 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have just come back....10 days was enough. (all inclusive)
There were 6 of us in 2 apartments. 2 adults in our 40's, 3 late teens and a 10 year old.
When we arrived the arguments started as we had planned to put all the 'kids' in one apartment and have the other one to ourselves, next door. We had assumed the sofa bed would be a double but it was only single. Therefore, we ended up with one of the teens in with us, as she has a bad back, so my poor husband had to have the sofa. 10 days, not being able to sleep together, was challenging for him, but I enjoyed not having the snoring...haha.
The apartments were cleaned about every 3 days and towels changed) The bedding was changed once. No problems with lack of toilet roll as the day we ran out, it was replenished anyway.
There was a coined operated TV but only 1 channel in English, so not worth watching anyway....But who goes on holiday to watch TV?
The shower was good and not bothered if there wasn't much hot water as we needed cool showers anyway, as 30+ degrees every day.
There is a hob and fridge but no kettle unless you want to hire one (expensive) so take a travel kettle, teabags and mugs if you want a decent cup of tea! (1 cup, 2 glasses and 2 plates in our apartment so ask for more if you need them)
The safe was expensive 32 euros for 10 days inc 10 Euro deposit. Annoyed that we bothered to have one as we only put our passports in it :(
Don't bother with the mini golf as not well maintained and never found the laundry, so washed by hand. Kept to the large pool, as by our apartment...noisy at night, but this only bothered us on the night we wanted to go to bed early, for our 4.10 pick up to the airport, home.
The entertainment is fine for the younger kids and Sabina tried her best...but she is very loud...made us laugh with her catchphrase 'Hu Hellooooo'
The Food is slightly challenging and mixed up... was hoping for paella as it is a Spanish hotel, but no... I agree with other comments...not sure I want broccoli, cauliflower, carrots or salad for breakfast.....but the rest was edible....only fried egg once and bacon twice in 10 days. The lunch and evening meals were always similar with about 7 different hot options...usually fish, beef, chicken, pork, sausages, always pizza and nearly always chips.... If you are a veggy, don't assume the pasta and salads have no meat in them everyday. Always rolls available and different soup.... However, I longed for a baked potato and it would have been nice if they put the ham and cheese out at lunch time, as well as breakfast so you could just make yourself a sandwich... There was always some kind of fruit, blancmange and different flavour icecreams
I have to say, we never went hungry and the food was tasty, though oddly put together...eg the day we had pork chops, it would have been nice to have mash, boiled or roast potatoes, instead of chips, for a change...help yourself to drinks at all meals but the tea and coffee were not good.
The pool was good and we liked having the bar in the centre...this was open in between all meal times but you could help yourself to beer, wine and soft drinks in the restaurant, when it was closed. Please note...you will need to drink a hell of a lot to get drunk...all alcoholic drinks seemed very weak.
There is a market on a Wednesday and Saturday, which is just around the corner from the hotel....you can get all your 'genuine' knock offs and gifts there....but haggle haggle haggle and don't buy from the first stall you see
The hotel give you a free bus pass to the beach and taxis into Playa Del Ingles were approx. 3.50-4 Euros.
Try the Yumbo Centre for food and entertainment and shopping....but be prepared to haggle...(which I love) Sparkles Bar is great for a drag show...but our teenagers felt a bit uncomfortable...however, our 10 year old enjoyed it....a lot of swearing and inappropriate humour for his age group (think that's why he liked it...so we left early..lol)

All in all, we had a nice time...not brilliant, but it is only 3 star. More entertainment and food choices would have been good and I would not recommend the place if you are going as a couple...this is more for families...Oh and get up early to put your towels on the sunbeds....on our last day, I was up at 6 and someone else had still beat me to it...haha...Don't put them on the night before or they get removed....you have to remember this place has a lot of German visitors.

Room Tip: Pick a room near the quiet pool if you have young children or go to bed early. Sabina has a very lou...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I've read some of the other reviews, both before we went and since we came back and I can only comment that if the other reviewers paid what I did for my family for two weeks then perhaps their expectations are a tad high!

Firstly, the Canary Islands aren't just around the corner - getting there involves a lengthy flight which inevitably costs more than - say - a flight to Alicante. There goes probably two fifths of what you've paid. See where I'm going with this?

The Turbo Club is billed as a three star all inclusive - it is excactly that, nothing more. It offers service and facilities on a par with others we've been too although Wendy is spot on about the annoying metered tele's! Oh and Gran Canaria and no Air Conditioning should not be written in the same sentence. Does not make for a comfortable sleep. Probably my biggest gripe about the whole experience.

Food - right let's settle this. The food on offer is basic, I would not say it is reconstituted from previous meals and the salads are ALWAYS fresh. A fish dish (which I ate often and seemed fine), a chicken dish - usually legs or dipper size breast cuts, a pork dish, a pasta dish (of varying quality), a beef dish and rice and either chips or a potato of some sort would be a typical meal set up. There's also soup and desserts though they varied in quality quite markedly. Fruit, bread, wine, beer and soft drinks were all on offer and suprisingly so were tea and coffee during all meal services.

What has to be remembered here is that the guest base at the hotel is multi national and so it is very difficult to strike a balance that is going to please all tastes. I can see that the way it is planned is to keep it simple and hopefully there will be something to appeal to all tastes.

The accomodation was fine. Decent sized room with a sitting area and a small (quite poorly kitted out) kitchenette. But it's AI, who needs a kitchen. The beds were fine but the pillows were a bit laughable. My only problem with the accomodation as i said earlier was the lack of Air Conditioning - Scottish people are not accustomed to these night time temperatures, sleeping was a bit of a struggle!

There's a gardener who you see most days taking care of the gardens. He keeps them really nice. There are two pool areas, the main one with the bar and the music playing near the restuarant and another set in the upper area of the complex. It's quieter there and there's a kids pool for the little ones to play in - but beware of the depth of the pool next to it - its about 1.7m.

Entertainment - Wendy in the previous review has it spot on I'm not going to say much more other than if weren't for Sabrina the place might be quite a dull place to be. She is the life and soul of the Turbo Club and she'll get you involved some way or another! We had a great laugh with her. She does the kids disco and crazy games at 8.30, they loved that, my two were never off the dance floor. Get ready for Gangnam Style!!!!!!

The staff - okay sometimes they struggled to raise a smile but they work really hard. One in particular, a lady named Esperanza is worthy of a special mention, she is lovely and even remembers your round at the bar. Others were nice too but some were a bit routine. There's also a male receptionist who we always found to be really helpful. He has a leaflet or a bit of paper for almost any question you can think of.

All in all - holidays have gone way up in price. The Spanish economy is on it's knees. This cost me a little over £2k for 4 for 2 weeks flying from Scotland, it compared to Turkey, Bulgaria, Greece and some other places I looked at. I think it was a fair price and fair value for the money I spent. If I spent another £2k I'd certainly be looking for more and I certainly would have been far more critical but on balance I don't think I was robbed.

Perhaps in the future, if I were to go back I would make it a 10 night stay, two weeks at the same place especially AI is a bit cabin feverish!

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool may be noisy!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I don't understand people who book a three star holiday and are disappointed to find the experience less than five star. We booked this holiday last minute knowing that it would be fairly average given the star rating.

We travelled as a couple, ages 21 and 23. I would maintain that if you are after a quiet, relaxing holiday then this is not the resort for you. It is a lively complex with lots of young people and families. The entertainment is pretty loud and takes place close to the pool. As most of the rooms circle the pool area I would not recommend staying here if you're after an early night or can't sleep with a bit of noise.

Rooms - Really clean, spotless in fact. Very old-fashioned décor but in my opinion this does not matter as much as cleanliness. The properties are lovely from the outside but the furnishings are certainly outdated. Of all of the hotels we passed on the way to ours, this complex has the nicest buildings. We hate high-rise and the buildings are quaint and Spanish looking. The showers are a bit iffy, there are no baths but the water is hot and reliable if you're not in too long. We went all-inclusive but all of the apartments have a nice sized kitchen with a breakfast bar which is adjoined with the living room. We didn't have any issues with electricity or things not working. However, the televisions looked like something out of Del Boy's van (we don't watch TV on holiday and I can't stand people who moan about English TV not being available when you're meant to be on holiday). We had an upper apartment and balcony, we were also lucky to have sunbeds on some grass in a private area next to our room.

All-inclusive - Drinks were fine. I'd read a lot of negative reviews about the beer and wine but their local beer is Tropical which is a Gran Canarian brand and is very nice indeed. We had wine, vodka, sangria, gin and all were pleasant; you can't expect international brands on a three star holiday. Also, anybody who has been here and complained about not being able to get drunk must have been either a very hardened drinker or massively overweight. The food was hideous. I hate to give a negative comment on this place because I was so happy with everything other than the food. The food was entirely repetitive and they seem to use tuna as a seasoning. Being a vegetarian this left me rather hungry. If you're the burger and chips kind of couple or family then you shouldn't have any issues. Basically we just ate chips and salad to stay alive and I don't think either of us enjoyed anything we tried other than one bowl of soup. We begrudgingly walked down to an Italian restaurant and bought pizza twice because it was simply awful.

Pool - There are two pools, one smaller and quieter - more secluded away from the animation and the other is bigger and more lively. They were both very clean and a gorgeous temperature from the sun's heat. There's also a jacuzzi but when we stayed here it was filled with kids. The bar is in the middle of the pool which is nice but it's not a swim-up bar.

Location - We'd never been to Gran Canaria before but we loved the place. The temperature is great here. On an evening you can hop in a taxi for less than five euros and quickly get to the main nightlife. The hotel runs a free bus service to the beach, we never used it but lots of people did and it seemed quite reliable, running regularly. We tried to walk to the beach and after about thirty minutes we were almost passing out in the heat and headed back! However, the taxis are so cheap and arrive almost instantly if you ask reception to call one for you.

Overall - Great value for money and an absolute gem amongst some of the poorer properties we could see. The only aspect that let us down was the food and apart from that we had a brilliant holiday. If your main concerns are cleanliness, comfort and enjoying yourself then you'll have a great stay. If your main concerns are British TV, early nights and high-end alcohol then I would suggest forking out the extra costs for a five star holiday. Certainly would recommend the place to lively people who are a bit more easy-going.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a great private sunbathing space if you want a bit of peace.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Turbo Club? Share your experiences!