“Excellent Hotel - ¡Hasta la vista!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Suite Hotel Jardin Dorado

You added Suite Hotel Jardin Dorado to your Saves list
Suite Hotel Jardin Dorado
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda Touroperador Tjaereborg, 6 | Urbanización Campo de Golf de Maspalomas, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Maspalomas
“Excellent Hotel - ¡Hasta la vista!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

2 weeks All Inclusive with my girlfriend. Accommodation around £700pp - great value considering our experience. Great little complex far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Playa del Ingles & Maspalomas but close enough that it's only 4 euro for a taxi or a free, always punctual, bus. Staff are extremely efficient, busy workers; some were quite funny and remembered your drink orders; and to respond a little to a previous review, their English is much better than my Spanish, so maybe learn a bit Spanish, like 'hello, please, thank you' etc. It does go down well (I honestly heard some guests asking each other what 'Por Favor' means, well into their 2nd week). Meals are superb, loads of choice. Omelettes and eggs cooked in front of you at breakfast, chicken, steaks, fish etc. very nice! Bar got a little bit busy at meal times the first few days but quietened down later on but didn't find this an issue. Entertainment wasn't great but I found a great way to entertain me, talk to people! Room was superb, nice and clean, quite impressive. I managed to get hold of another key, one for the lock and one for the electricity, meaning the air con and fridge was on all day, so those who want a little drink after the 11pm bar closure, can sit out their bungalow, very nice and relaxing. Garden and pool well maintained, always staff out in the mornings tidying and cleaning. Maid service was excellent, room cleaned everyday, apart from 1 when I put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign outside, due to me enjoying the night before a little too much (4:30am bedtime)! There was a TV, I don't know much of it as I didn't even switch it on; I was on holiday. If you do want to watch something, bring a small DVD player and a long HDMI cable or something as I was heard groans about 1 English channel. Rent the safe, don't scrimp on that, only 2.50 euro per day. I would also recommend paying 10 euro deposit for a towel to use on your sunbed, you can go to reception every day and they will change it for a fresh one, brilliant service and it essentially doesn't cost anything. Wi-fi was a little disappointing I must say, but that isn't going to spoil my say. Don't expect too much from the gym, however if you are into that, there's a good fitness centre across the road and it is very cheap. Get good timed flights if you can as check out is at 12pm, which of course, everyone with eyes will have seen before they booked. Overall a superb stay, one of the best I've been to, I'm just gutted to be home! ¡Hasta la vista!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Have just returned from our 3rd trip here in 12 months so needless to say we like it very much! Food was excellent as usual and although the staff always finish whatever it is they are doing before serving you, there was never a queue at the bar of more than 5 people (I am in customer service and would love to adopt this approach - I might not keep forgetting what I was doing before being interrupted by a customer, ha ha!). Rooms are absolutely spotless although we had no hot water all week. Should have complained but didn't - we liked the challenge of who could stay in there the longest! My daughter's hair went green in the pool this time although it hasn't happened before! The staff have a very good understanding of English. WiFi comes on in fits and starts which can be irritating and is only available for free in the reception area. There are also books to borrow in here too. Took the free shuttle bus into Maspalomas then paid around £30 to go to Puerto Mogan which had a fantastic beach. It was a little cove so great for keeping an eye on the children. Friday was market day too so brilliant for little trinkets to take home. We ordered a picnic 24hours before and were supplied with 2 rounds of cheese/ham sandwiches and 2 pieces of fruit each. We just bought drinks and crisps while we were out (If you can find a Spar, they seem to be much cheaper than the little supermarkets in the hotels). Maspalomas beach is worth a visit too but is just a little more vast. We have said we'd like a change next year but hearing people talking about their hotels at the airport, it may be better to be safe than sorry!

Room Tip: The bungalows are in three rows circling the pool so you can't really get a bad room.
Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have just returned from a weeks all inclusive with my son. I was concerned before we got there as like most people, had read a lot of bad reviews and lets face it, when you are spending over a thousand pound just for a week in the sun you want it to be ok. Well it was. We arrived late and were ushered into dinner before check in which was good as my son was starving then afterwards checked in to our room. It was 117 right by the pool on inner circle.
My son is a typical teenager and did not surface until twelve most days so I breakfasted alone and saved two sunbeds for us every day. I never had a problem and did not see anyone else experiencing trouble either.

Food was great, all fresh and great selection available every mealtime. Table linen was spotlessly clean as was the cutlery and crockery. Really could not fault it, soups were especially tasty.
Fresh fruit and gorgeous salads in abundance. Plates were cleared efficiently and drinks orders served promptly.

Wine was of good quality and very drinkable considering it is probably only fairly cheap stuff. Room was perfect, spotlessly clean and cleaned daily with extra towels and toiletries not a problem if requested. We bought three days internet connection for my son which worked perfectly in suite and around pool and was reasonable.

Don't know why people complain about the service, we really did spend every day at hotel and I can honestly say that the staff worked tirelessly and efficiently every day. In temperatures of 34 degrees, that's not easy!!!

I have worked and stayed in many hotels round Europe including four seasons George V in paris and balaggio in vegas and I think for a small establishment, it provided a pretty good service.

Staff were always friendly and helpful and lets be honest, if you treat people with respect whoever they are, you generally get the same back. Simple manners will always go a long way.

Taxis are quick and cheap and I would say necessary when your son is too hot to walk far, never a problem.

Pool did turn my blonde hair green but I took purple shampoo with me and it washed out every night. Lets face it, chemicals react together and how many different types of hair dye are there? Lots! My hair went green in my own gym pool once so I think its just one of those things. Would rather have that than bacterial infections in water.

Overall we had a brilliant time and \I would certainly recommend it to my friends for a quiet week away with good food and great apartment. Was never noisy and entertainment kept low key which was what we wanted.

Could not fault it for price we paid and would definitely return. We had suite 117, right by pool, perfect.

Brilliant holiday, loved every minute. No complaints and would definitely go back ,

Must mention soups again, fabulous and always good sign of excellent chef.

Thanks to all staff and management, we loved it. we needed a good break with no hassle and that's what we got. First class service.

Room Tip: We had 117 and were right by pool. spacious patio area which is lovely and sunny. Was perfect for us...
Darlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here for 1 week in late August and had a lovely time. We went All Inclusive which worked out really well. The rooms were studio apartments and were kept extremely clean by the daily maid service. The grounds and pool are really well maintained, there are folks out there every day making sure it stays that way. We found the food & drinks really good... yep you do have to queue at the bar but I didn't find it that long & I do agree with policy of max 2 drinks pp as they get wasted otherwise... Was pleased to see Pepsi on tap as I was expecting rola cola!
The loungers do get busy but I blame British people getting up at the crack of dawn and reserving loungers all day only to show up at 12! This is people's behaviour not the hotel. We did get up at 7.30 and walked over to secure a good spot but we then sat there all day, actually a very nice time of the day :)
Found the food excellent, plenty of healthy options if you want them. We went out a couple of nights just to get a change of scene... would recommend Grand Italia in maspalomas, its fab!!! The only 2 things negative I would say about this hotel are 1) the gym... if you are planning on using it, forget it! Its a shed with no aircon and most of the very basic equipment is broken. My partner used the local outdoor gym which was 20 Euro for the week and about 10 min walk away. 2) location... if you want easy access to beach or restaurants / bars then this is not the place for you.... its about a 5 EURO cab ride into maspalomas (not too expensive) or a 45 min walk... we walked 2 nights just to stretch our legs.
Staff were really helpful and I would recommend this hotel to others. A local taxi from airport to hotel will cost you about 45 Euro... not too bad (30 min transfer time), easy enough to pick up and no need to book. Hotel arranged our taxi back at 5am!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Having just returned for 2 weeks as a family of 4 (2 boys 13/9). This was our 1st AI holiday so went with some reservations of what to expect. Our check in was smooth & efficient with a meal provided even though it was 22:45- we even managed to have a couple of drinks. The room is very snug, leave all modesty at the front door as it is effectively 1 room with an annexe which has the double (2 singles) bed. The 4th bed is just a sofa- though my 9 yr old thought this was a great adventure so we didn't ask for a change. Bigger children wouldn't be so comfy though.We took the advice of previous reviews and put blankets by the doors at night and only had 3 visits from cockroaches and 1 lizard- but this is to be expected when living in a hot climate. The AC in the room was ineffective though. It only cooled 1 part of the room and certainly didn't reach into the annexe, which when your trying to sleep on a plastic mattress makes for an unpleasant experience. We moved the single bed under the AC which provided some relief to 1 person if you could get over the dripping and the timing schedule which gave a breeze of cool air for about 3 mins then it clicked off, whirred and buzzed for about 5 mins before starting up again. Complimentary shower gel & shampoo which came in handy when your own ran out about day 10. Fresh bed linen & towels every day with a floor sweep & mop. TV only broadcasts Spanish or German TV apart from BBC World News- not a problem though as we spent little time in the room. The pools were cleaned every day using some very strong chlorine solution- my swimwear had to be thrown away at the end of the holiday as it was discoloured and disintigrating, my youngest looked like he'd been raving in Malia for a week with bloodshot eyes. Some people complained of a green hue to their hair but we showered after every swim so managed to avoid this- though dispite there being a toilet poolside, some parents happily let their children use the shower as the toilet! The grounds were tidy and well maintained. The sunbeds were an issue- not enough mattresses. And unless you got up at stupid o' clock to save a bed, you were destined for the astroturf under a tree. Disappointingly, there were guests who reserved beds etc and went out for the day- poor show! The food was plentiful and of a great variety. The chefs were on hand to cook to order at every meal time. The toaster at breakfast was a joke though. Just 1 revolving wheel which toasted 4 pieces of bread- it took ages and the queue for this reflected the problem. Free wifi only available from reception, adjoining room & immediate location. It was very sporadic. I believe the paid wifi wasn't much better either. The biggest issue was the bar. The staff worked tirelessly all shift but during mealtimes- diners took priority and all drinks were served by 1 person from the poolside bar. This created long queues of upto 20-30 mins, no chance of pre dinner drinks. There was also a rule of only 2 drinks per person, so if you are a family of >2, this posed a problem. The staff worked so hard though and Sebastian even knew what we wanted to drink before we asked. The bar shut at 23.00 prompt though so unless you wanted to pay extra, it was off to bed you go...Minimal entertainment which suited us. The boys made some lovely friends and would disappear for hours within the complex which was safe for them to do so. The spontaneity of a "lilo run" bought all the adults and kids together for a great time. The hotel has quite a long drive so they never felt the need to wander. We hired a safe and unfortunately there were some break ins during our stay. The management didn't inform or reassure us of this and we had to rely on poolside chat to glean the info- a poor PR exercise. There were some other niggles which didn't live upto the AI theory. Air hockey & pool costs €1 a time, table tennis demanded a €10 deposit and if you wanted cocktails, I understand they cost about €6. The free bus was great though if you wish to taxi it only costs €5 from Maspalomas. Aqualand is a great day out though the walkways are boiling, we saved some money by buying tickets on line which were emailled to the hotel for printing.These few little glitches didn't mar our holiday but with a bit of work it could well be 4*, I'd say though at present about a 3* mainly due to the understaffing and extra costs. Decent AC and tea making facilities in the room would be great too.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

we were there for two weeks and 4 days into it our bungalow was broken into and they got away with most of our good stuff, except the ones in the safe but you can be expected to fit all your luggage in the safe including clothes which they got away with including pants and nail vanish .what a shame and when we asked for what to do at the reception ,they didn't seem to know what they were doing and so they did not help us at all and their English is so rubbish that they cant even direct you to the police or let alone tell you what to do. we asked to see the manager who never showed up, in the end we gave up because we wanted to enjoy the rest of the holiday. Its just a shame because the very night 2 more bungalows were also broken into and they did nothing about it. they are very understaffed such that they have lost their smiles due to serving an endless crowd especially at the BAR, we had to wait some times to get saved even up to 7-10 minutes and the glass would be filled mostly with 2 big blocks of ice and little drink, and some waiters would not even look at you.
The sun bed nightmare should also be addressed because some people will be up very early to reserve sun beds that they keep to use in the afternoon, some as early as 7am when the pool opens at 9, we told reception about it and the following morning they removed the towels and left them in the reception till they could pick them up at 9 which is fair for all , but they need to buy more sunbeds and mattresses to solve this nightmare.the staff could do also with learning a bit more English because it was even difficult for them to understand us when we tell them how hard working they all were .Sebastian was better and Maria could do with a smile seeing shes pretty and that could contribute to a more friendly atmosphere. Overall i enjoyed being in the pool and playing ball with my friends and kids.Food was the same every day but obviously you cant starve as you can always find something to eat even if you don't like it.

Room Tip: dont ask for rooms at the back, you can easily be burgled , ask for ones in front
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Understaffed, Rude Staff, Penny Pinching Owners lets it down.

We stayed 2 weeks All Inclusive.

NOTE: THE 3 BROTHERS ALL LIVE IN THE BUNGALOWS ON SITE. EVEN THOUGH THE STAFF SAY THEY DON'T AND WON'T BE IN UNTIL LATER. One lives in room 119/120 not sure what rooms the other 2 live in.

The bungalows are quite nice, I would agree with other comments that they could do with an upgrade. There is no privacy between the rooms as it's all open plan. Ours consisted of 1 double bed and 2 singles, the first single was a bed in the living area and the 2nd single bed is a sofa with a pillow and sheets (no proper mattress). I would personally describe the bungalows as 1 bed not 2 bed. The food was generally good and on most occasions I always found something to eat. However, when the head chef wasn't on duty the food wasnt so good. Be careful with the fish from the grill area as this was often undercooked due to staff trying to cook too many orders (Understaffed), same with the pancakes at breakfast. I just gave them it back to cook for longer. Yes leftover food was often reused but unless the food is not stored properly and not reheated more than once and the basic food standards are followed it's not such a bad thing.

The pool was nice to look at but when you looked closely it required a more thorough clean as there was always debris on the bottom and scum around the overflow, there was a filter cover missing near where we regularly sat which was a hazard as many kids and adults fell into this. Yes the chemical they use does turn everything green (again that's because it's the cheapest chemical being used).

The sunbed secnario was ridicoulous. My family generally sleep a bit longer. However, I'm an early riser and use the time to sit with a coffee and read before they rise. I generally sat at the pool from 8am and I was also shown the pool sign from the pool cleaner about the 9am pool opening time when I was sitting on the lounger and replied "I'm not using the pool". He was adamant I was not even allowed to sit, however I stood my ground and refused to leave the pool area as I'd paid good money for these facilities and don't think lying on a lounger at 8am reading was unreasonable, I always waited until 9 before leaving my towels to go for breakfast as there were occasions when they removed the towels and placed them in reception. (I can undertand this rule as I also don't like when people reserve beds and don't use them or reserve beds to use much later in the day). However, the staff just treated us as if we are all the same.

I woke one morning to find the sunbeds were chained and padlocked and they refused to open them until 9am. I requested the manager /owner but apparently he wasn't going to be in until 10am. My elderly mother was then informed he was actually sitting in the restaurant watching the whole thing with his coffee. (Power thing?!) Needless to say my mother and I approached him and asked why this was happening etc. He denied he was the owner to myself and my mother and said it was his brother. I then asked him to phone his brother but he said he didn't have his number. Yeah OK!!! He told me to go to reception which I did, after saying to my mother to wait here with him until I get back. Only to be told by reception that the owner wouldn't be there until 10am. When I went back to the restaurant he had got up and left!!!!

Anyway they eventually started opening some and completely missed the ones that we were waiting on. I persisted and approached reception again and eventually got the pool area manager and demanded they come and unlock the ones where we liked to sit at (reluctantly it was done after my 3rd visit to reception). After this incident we were ignored at breakfast by the waiters cleaning the tables, (not one used plate was removed the entire time we sat at breakfast), at lunch we didn't have our drinks order taken despite every other table around us having their order taken and being previously advised by the bar staff not to go to the bar ourselves during lunch as this was the waiters task, and again no used plates were removed from our table. I find this kind of behaviour very petty!!

I eventually spoke (or should I say captured) one of the other brothers and explained what was happening and that under no circumstances was I or my family going to be treated like this for the next week and a few home truths regarding the hotel. I did not pay good money to come on holiday to be treated as if I was an inconvenience to them. After all there would be no jobs or hotel if us tourists didn't go. He did seem to take my complaints onboard and we shook hands after the conversation. The sunbeds were never cahined again during my stay. RESULT!

The drinks scenario....Well It's all just cost cutting. They make you wait so long as only ever 1 person serving and when they do serve it's banged down on the bar with 2 huge lumps of ice and therefore very little drink as they don't even fill the cup. I just asked for 1 lump of ice and handed the drinks back to be filled to the top continuously, (they soon got the message). However, they still tried it with others. If a drinks order was given by a waiter to the bar staff everyone queing at the bar was made to wait (sometimes it could be 5-10 minutes). Again I raised my concerns to the staff about this but was given a tirade of abuse in spanish by the waiters and bar staff.

Oh and nearly forgot!! Be careful when standing in the queue at the bar especially in the evening as one waiter in particular has a very bad habit of flicking the remnants of drinks from the used glasses onto the customers when they have their backs to him.

It could be a great little place if the owners weren't being so profiteering about it, my advice if you have already booked is beleive what has been written and be preapred to stand your ground and be one step ahead of them. If you haven't booked then there are plenty other lovely hotels who would appreciate your custom.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Suite Hotel Jardin Dorado? Share your experiences!