“animation very good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dunas Mirador Maspalomas

Save Saved
You added Dunas Mirador Maspalomas to your Saves list
Dunas Mirador Maspalomas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Einstein s/n, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Maspalomas
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“animation very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

a group of us attended over new year and found it brilliant animation team was perfect especially axel juahana and dorothy very good at there jobs hotel was spotless and plenty of choice if you dont like this hotel your on a different planet

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dunashotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Mirador guest,

Thank you for evaluating our hotel at tripadvisor.

We are pleased to hear that you had a great time at our hotel and especially enjoyed the animation programm as well as the time spend with our animation team.
We will pass on your congratulations to our staff, because positive feedback is the best motivation for us.

Thank you for your nice comments on the hotel, we are very pleased if our customers are satisfied. Evaluations such as yours help us to maintain and improve the standards in our hotel continuously. Thank you very much.

Customer Care Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The atmosphere of the animation team was the key for the fun vacation. Everyday you know the stuff members little better wich makes the experience in the activities better. They are genuine, maybe young an not professional in every nightshow, but still lot more warm and human than usually in some costly one time only seen human performing. Really respeckt for William, Chicco and others you are making good spirit to the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dunas Mirador guest,

We would like to thank you for evaluating our hotel on tripadvisor.

Much to our pleasure we acknowledge from your comment that you spent a wonderful time here with us, and especially enjoyed the activities with our animation team.
We will pass on all your congratulations to our staff, becauser positive feedback is the best motivation for us.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

A very happy Xmas & a Merry New year was had at The Dunas Mirador.
This is a fab 3*** hotel We've ever stayed in, rooms clean and spacious also had a lovely view at front of hotel (E108) where we could see the Maspalomas Dunes even though we were not on the seafront.
With a taxi ride away (€3 or €4) or the free shuttle bus there's plenty to do outside the hotel. (The local buses are cheap and easy to catch too).
All the staff were friendly and helpful and the food & bar was good & the pool area was cleaned daily.
Only downfall no air con or fridges in room but this is a 3* (you can hire goods) where if it was a 4* they would be in room.
Weather for this time off year was glorious 24c to 29c with a couple off cloudy warm days.
All in all had a great time & would recommend this hotel :)

Room Tip: Room E108 reception block 1st floor corner room, lovely view although it is above a bar which plays...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mirador Guest,

We would like to thank you for evaluating our hotel at tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Dunas Mirador and had such a nice and relaxing holiday in our hotel. We are happy to hear that you were fully satisfied with the facilities and services provided by the hotel team.
We will pass on all your congratuations to our hard working staff, because good feedback is the best motivation for us.

Again, thank you for your nice comments on the hotel, we are very pleased if our customers are satisfied. Evaluations such as yours help us to maintain and improve the standards in our hotel continuously. Thank you very much.

Downpatrick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Myself my partner and 17 year old son stayed her in November 2012 . On arrival I have to say I was very impressed the reception area was lovely, clean and very spacious. We were given a room on 4th floor and once my partner explain that our 17 year old had sever autism and that bein in a room high up didn't suit the receptionist spoke to what seemed to be the reception manager (she was lovely) and within about 5 mins they had changed our room to a ground floor suite beside the pool and bar with no problem. The room was lovely and spacious and very clean.
The pool area was spotless. The pool was cold but then again it was November. At this time of year it was all slightly older couples so our son had the pool to himself most of the time (which was great for him). The smaller pool was slightly heated. And the jacuzzi was great.
The food was great breakfast in the mornin had everything you could ask for in a breakfast. Lunch times and dinner times had plenty of choice. Our son is a very picky eater and we had worried about this before goin but luckily every night they had something that suited him ( chips, burger, chicken). Salad is always on offer and they cook fresh of the grill also. In afternoon there was cakes served at the pool bar.
The pool bar has taps for your soft drinks and wine, a freezer full of ice cream and all local spirits and beer served by staff behind bar. You can get the brand name drinks for half price if your all inclusive.
The location I have to say was the only down side of our holiday. The hotel is at the top of a very steep hill the area you are in is not Maspalomas it is actually called Sonnenland and was original built up for the Scandinavians. The is one other hotel in the area but mainly it is surrounded by private houses. There is a chemist and Chinese restaurant right next door to the hotel and as you leave the hotel and go to the right about a five min walk will lead you to a spar which is underground so not great for anyone with motability problems. There is also another spar and small gift shop just around the corner from the hotel as well. But beware if buyin cigarettes there is a big difference in price between the 2 shops.
If you go to the bottoms of the steep hill this will lead you to Maspalomas ( but take a taxi) as it is quite a walk. There is a lovely pàrk at the bottom of the hill with stuff for the kids to do.
An amusement arcade with rides is also in this area but again take a taxi as we did walk to it but found we were crossing over main roads and Havin to walk through waste ground to get there. (We did see sense and got taxi back to hotel at cost of around €3.
There is a bus every morning from the front of the hotel to the beach and I'm hopin at busier times of the year that they have more buses on. BE WARNED when you get to the beach on the walked down you will be approached by ladies lookin for money (keep your purse/wallet out of site and safe as we heard of people bein distracted by one as the other took the purse) these women had approached my son and had a bracelet on his arm before we knew what was goin on and then were demanding money of us. There is only one language that these nice ladies understand and one begins with F and the other with O ... The beach itself is lovely and if you walk around you will come to a shopping area which can be quite expensive. You will also be tortured by time share reps one company is Anfi . We were approached by a company called Holiday Club and we decided to take a look at what they had to offer. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. They put us in taxi and paid for it, we checked out some of their hotels and then spoke to another rep at the end who talked us through pricing and conditions (have to say pleasantly surprised, if your a big holiday taker it could be worth your while checking this out) no pressure was put on us at all and they sent us back to our hotel in a taxi all paid for by them.
All in all we had a great holiday ..the staff, the accommodation, the food and the drink was all in all very good. The only downfall is the location but as my partner said it stopped me spending money on stuff we didn't need ....

Stayed November 2012
Dunashotels, Guest Relations Manager at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for evaluating our hotel on tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that you have had such a nice and relaxing holiday in our hotel, for you and your family. We will pass on your congratulations to our staff and especially Reception staff, because good feedback is the best motivation for us. Thank you for your nice comments on the hotel, even if the location was not 100% to your satisfaction, we are very pleased to hear that it was not letting down your holiday in general, thanks to service positive input.
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Good points:=
Clean Hotel and friendly staff......
Food good and varied, you would have to be a really fussy sod not to like any of the food that was on offer for all meal times.

The usual race at 8.45am every morning to get a sunbed in the sun, as one side of the pool area is bathed in shade all day long.

The round block i think is F block , has views of the motorway, a little noisy, no sun at all and also smelly as it is under the "wheelie bin" area, where they are emptied all 36 of them every 2 days, at "daft oclock!!!!!!!

Pool bar great and drinks the norm.............

Bad points :_Mattresses are very very hard and uncomfortable. Room F507, grotty view, noisy and smelly due to bins. Too hot in the disco area......Maids leaving door open all day after they have cleaned room.

Room Tip: Do not choose F 507
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for seven nights from 19th-26th July 2011 and were 19 and 17 at the time. Firstly, I would like to mention that this was our first holiday together, and due to over excitement, we did not spend as long as we should have done researching the hotel. Perhaps if we had, I would have known instantly that this was definitely not for me!

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 10.20pm after a long days travelling. Usually, I would expect the hotel to provide some sort of food platter, free of charge, since we had missed the all inclusive dinner. However, the staff [poorly] explained that we would be provided with a cold buffet dinner in the main restaurant. This meant we had to locate our room and dump our bags as quick as possible in order to make the dinner on time and did not get to make use of the all inclusive bar before it stopped at 11pm. The 'dinner' consisted of salad and bread, which I was unhappy about as this is hardly substantial and I was starving by this point!

The largest criticism I have against this hotel is the food. I am a fussy eater. There, I said it! The breakfasts were generally what you would expect from an all inclusive buffet: cereals, breads, cheeses, small cakes, bacon, eggs etc, no complaints there. The buffet lunch was fairly similarly to the breakfast, but I preferred to eat at the pool bar which served barbecue style foods such as hotdogs, chips, burgers, salads, onion and easy access to alcoholic and soft drinks. However, notices were placed around the hotel half way through the week to let guests know that the food at the poolside bar would no longer be served. You can imagine how annoying this was and there appeared to be no explanation! The dinners were, quite frankly, disgusting. I am not a great lover of meat; I generally only eat chicken. There was only chicken on the buffet one night out of seven that I was there. There was not a great variation between the food each night and I found myself living off of bread and cheese for the week. Though we had paid for all inclusive, we chose to eat out at a Greek restaurant two nights!

A quick note about the maid service (because of all things, this bothered my boyfriend more than it did me)- the maid only comes every other day and when we asked for fresh towels, the staff seemed a little annoyed. One day, when the maid was due, she simply did not turn up.

When I am lounging around the pool on holiday, sunbathing, I expect to be able to relax. However, we arrived on a Thursday night, so the first full three days of our time at the hotel, all the Spanish people were 'down for the weekend' meaning we had to fight for sunbeds and listen to Spanish children screaming and running around and loud conversation amongst the adults. Furthermore, I found the animation team incredibly annoying; they ran zumba, aerobics and watergames, which all took place by the pool. Therefore, all I could hear was them shouting down their megaphones at the participants, whistles being blown, music and often loud singing. Annoyingly, the only time they moved their activities was at night when they held zumba classes in the small plaza around the corner from the pool, which happened to be located directly underneath our room!!!

Like I have said previously, we did not research into the hotel properly. If we had, we would have realised that its location is not ideal. The hotel is situated on top of a large hill. This would not be ideal for those with fitness or mobility issues, even we found it hard walking in the thirty three degree heat! The only things situated near the hotel are a SPAR (which came in handy when you fancy a quick walk away from the hotel or need anything the hotel cannot provide), a chinese restaurant and a chemist. Everything else you could want was a little while away; the bars, night life, restaurants and shops were all in playa del ingles which was five euros in the taxi each way. Our favourites were a greek restaurant called The Greek Village (a tad pricey but worth it!) and an Irish bar called Molly Malones (the drinks were so cheap and the atmosphere was so friendly).

The water park, Aqualand, was fantastic, no matter what age in my opinion! It was three euros in a taxi each way and was one of the best days of my holiday here! There are three big pools, one of which has a false beach effect and wave machine, and plenty of water slides to go on. The queues were never big whilst we were there. My advice would be to wear some waterproof, secure shoes at all times whilst there, as the floor gets incredibly hot and it is quite a walk between slides (all uphill too).

Final things to note: rooms have NO air-conditioning. My boyfriend found it hard getting to sleep for the first couple of nights since we arrived towards the end of a heatwave (it was thirty three degrees most days). The hotel has NO wifi which I found irritating because I am one of those people who needs to stay in touch with the world back home haha! There is NO evening entertainment in the hotel, even though there appears to be a whole lounge area dedicated to entertainment (it even has a stage)... odd. Rooms also have no hair dryers so ladies, pack your own! Also, we asked for a double room, and got two single beds pushed together which we were frustrated about!

Overall, I was unimpressed with the holiday. Though I have visited Lanzarote before and enjoyed it, THIS holiday to gran canaria was enough to put me off the canaries for a long, long time. for £494 per person, It was not worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dunas Mirador guest,
Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor.
We regret to know that you were not fully satisfied with our hotel. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences regarding your staying with us, and thank you for the feedback, as negative impressions also help us to improve. We will put all our effort in improving all the negative points you mention above.
Should you decide to visit us again in the future, we will be pleased to receive you personally in our house and make your stay fully enjoyable for you.
Kind Regards
Customer Care Service.
Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Me and my husband and two children went to this hoel for the new year. The hotel is very clean and the food was very good. We booked a family suite which on arrival we found had been double booked. The manager was fantastic really helpful and quickly sorted out a temporary room for us. The entertainment was ok not alot going on at the night time however, the animation team tried their best during the day. The lifeguard at the hotel is very abrupt and very rude nobody was in the pool, so my girls took in rings to play. The rude lifeguard refused to letthem in the pool with the rings, even though on the boards around the pool it only states no airbeds or ball games.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
thank you for your response and your comments. It is very important for us to have feedbacks from our guests, as it helps us to know our deficiences and work hard on them. We are also happy to hear that incidents has been solved promptly and to your full satisfaction. We hope to have the chance to show you our improvements, and stay available for you for any further communication. We hope to see you back in our house.
Yours faithfully,
Customer Care Service.

Been to Dunas Mirador Maspalomas? Share your experiences!