“Hopefully be back next Jan!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vista Dorada Apartments

You added Vista Dorada Apartments to your Saves list
Vista Dorada Apartments
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Einstein 7-9, Sonneland, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #51 of 66 Hotels in Maspalomas
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Hopefully be back next Jan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I read some bad reviews but it was cheap. I Paid £90 for two people for 10days!

The bungalow was amazing! I loved it. It was clean and had an amazing view. Yes it was a bit out of the way but im 21 so fit enough to walk everywhere. Daily i was walking about 15miles. This does include walking to the yumbo for a drink then to the beach walking around the sandunes then back to the bungalow for dinner then the yumbo and back. Its about 20-30mins walk to playa de ingles but who cares. The scenery is great and the weather is fantastic even in January coming from minus 10 to 25degrees was a shock and we found the evenings to be hot at 17degrees until we got used to it then we took a thin jacket out to walk back with. There is a hill to walk up which is big but not huge. My partner managed to walk up it with a sprained ankle.

The reception staff where very friendly, the woman on the dest wanted to make sure she was pronouncing Steven properly which i thought was nice of her. There is a spar shop 2mins away and a larger shop about 5mins away,

The only con was we where having a budget holiday and only ate out twice so when it came to cooking everything had to be done in a pan as there is no oven/grill/microwave. But we managed.

Great place. Please ignore the other bad comments. You get what you pay for and from what i got i would have expected to pay alot more!

Advice - if you go in winter don't pack too many warm clothes. The weather said 19C in the day. We got a maximum of 29C! Shorts,vests,couple of evening jeans and a couple of thin jackets or shirts to wear on an evening walking back.

P.S Its SC so the rooms dont get cleaned until you leave. There is a laundry room if you would like to wash your bedsheets but i didn't bother.

You can smoke your cheap one euro cigarettes inside if you wish :D

Room Tip: Book 4weeks before on LowCostHolidays.Com
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Krakow, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

1. No cockroaches! :) Tiny ants in the bathroom.
2. We got twin beds instead of double. That was the main inconvenience of our stay there.
3. You get only one blanket, while the nights can be pretty cold.
4. Kitchen was fine, but bring or buy your own sponge and wash-up liquid. Kitchen utensils are basic, but enough for vacation stay.
5. Staff friendly and helpful.
6. Water in the swimming pool was very clean, which might be because it was to cold for anyone to swim in it.- the sea was warmer.
7. It is quite far from Faro Maspalomas (beach), on the other hand is much quieter and relaxed than in other Maspalomas districts.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

There are some 200+ apartments situated on the slopes of Sonnenland district. The apartment was clean, comfortable and spacious. We were very pleased to find plenty of very hot water and a good shower and bath. The beds were cosy and comfortable. From our terrace we were able to breakfast looking out toward Maspalomas and the dunes.
However, we won't be going back or recommending this place purely because of the location. It takes about 45 minutes to walk to the beach and at least 30 minutes to walk to the town. Our apartment was lower down the slope and it took 10 minutes to walk up to reception. When returning from a day out there is a hill to climb to get to the entrance plus of course the walk down to the appartment. There was a gate a few yards from our room which would have saved the up/down walks morning and evening, but perversely this can only be accessed by owners of appartments. On 3 occasions we were able to slip through in the wake of such a person, to our great relief.
Value is excellent and I guess this reflects the location. Cockroaches? Two very dozy specimens easily ejected.
If placed at he bottom of the Sonnenland hill this would be an ideal place to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

I stayed in the Vista Dorada in November 2008 and found the only problem we had was with the cockroaches, one morning we had 8 in our kitchen area!! However the apartment was clean and tidy although could probably do with a bit of redecorating and the garden area was ok but I wouldn't have liked to have a small child there as there were lots of cats leaving little presents on the grass and although this was cleaned up daily it could still have been a hazard to little ones, In 2008 there was a courtesy bus down to the town which ran regularly and although sometime overcrowded was a quick way of getting there, the bar staff were great and the restaurant manager was trying his hardest to increase the custom...The food was really good and there was a nice little bar by the pool...In November 2009 I returned, no poolside bar except one evening a week, the restaurant seemed deserted, no courtesy bus, I found that it only took me half hour to walk into town however this was through a park with little lighting and maybe not the place for a single female to be walking but I came across no problems...Only 1 cockroach in 2009 :0) ...The local restaurants all served pretty much the same menu which was reasonably priced but got a bit dull after a few days...

The people are lovely and the weather was great considering it was November...I plan to go back again this March and again in November just to get away from the rotten weather here....

I found that the value for money was good as long as you're not planning on spending time in the apartment or planning on cooking there as I would not fancy sharing my kitchen with the roaches...

• Stayed November 2009
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

The hotel is situated up in the hills about a 25 min walk to both Maspalomas and Playa del Ingles. All the guests I talked to thought it would be closer to the beach, so be aware. Other than that it is cheap and the standard is OK. Locals use it as a holiday resort , so it can be crowded in public holidays and weekends.
There is a free bus service to Maspalomas beach leaving 3 times each morning returning back in the evening. Note there are 2 exits from the hotel on upper in the middle of nowhere and 1 lower at least 10 mins closer on foot to maspalomas and playa del ingles. Plenty of shops and even a mall close by the hotel. As all apartments are on ground level you have to expect the odd cockroach. The hotel is not new but the standard is OK. Reception staff speaks good english.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Dorset
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

At first glace looked lovely,we had our own garden, kitchenette, bathroom, bedrooom & living area.
However,on closer inspection we were very disapointed! Location was MILES from anything! There was only 2 electrial points(not good for two girls trying to get ready to go out!) we had to pay for the TV, which, when we did, wasnt even english! The kitchenette was dangerious,we couldnt even turn our hob off, had to flip the fuse everytime we wanted to turn it on/off. The freezer didnt work, as we found out (melted icecream, not good!!).The beds were rock solid,with a tiny, flimsy joke-for-a-pillow!
We didnt have any hot water for our enire stay &didnt even have water for one day! However we did inform staff&they did retified this as quick as possible. We got clean towels once during our stay, luckily we had brought extra ourselves.

Every room was bug-riddened!we had ants&cockroachs all over our sofa, curtains, window cills ,floors, cuboards!You name it,they were there!!it was disgusting! Had to push our beds together into the centre of the room to get away from the walls! The last night we even debated going to the airport to sleep! house keeping was apauling,I honestly do not know what she did when she came in but she certainly didnt clean!

The garden was littered with broken plates. Make sure you have bug spray!!!! and lots of money for taxis, you honestly cannot walk anywhere! Also, make sure you dont have a fire, there are bars on the window and the nearest fire exitingusier is outside on your neighbour's wall!

The pool on the other hand was lovely, cleaned daily & staff were very friendly, especially david in the resturant ( we love u david!) this is was what made it bareable & our good sense of humour! - ive seen another review about loud music being played by the pool, this is true however, gave him one of our own CDs to blast out,so didnt mind atall, party on!

Weather was amazing, 31-15c in November! clubbing in Playa de Ingles was great, although watch out for the annoying PRs trying to drag you into their shabby bars & sell you tickets. (rodgers bar in particular!!!) Holiday world was a joke! hilarious though! do not come here if you dont have a sense of humour!!!! youve been warned!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

I had stayed at Vista Dorada in 2001 and I had just loved it. 8 years later I finally had the chance to get back there (with girlfriend this time) and I can't express well enough how disappointed this second experience was.

Two things were unchanged: the location, miles away from the beach, and the rooms, that even back in 2001 were somehow old and in urgent need of refurbishment. So, basically, the minus sides of this aparthotel were still there, while gone were its pluses!!!

I must admit that -as usually happens- what had made my first stay at Vista Dorada great was its staff. They were simply superb: bar-staff, entertainers, waiters and all. Even today, 8 years later, I can still recall the names of (at least) two of them: the restaurant manager (Javi) and an amusing Italian guy working at the pool bar (Marco). Don't give me wrong, I didn't expect them to be still there, but one would think that good staff must be replaced with equally good staff. Well, it isn't the case at Vista Dorada. Not at all!

Quality food was another point for Vista Dorada in 2001; today you are lucky if you get any food at all.

I will admit that my harsh judgment might be biased by my previous excellent experience, but, hey, it was supposed to be the same hotel! As for my girlfriend, I believe that -after having seen such a ruin of a hotel with her own eyes- will think I made up all the nice stories I'd told her about the place!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Vista Dorada Apartments? Share your experiences!