“Lovely Hotel Very Clean And Staff Very Helpfull And Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maspalomas Princess Hotel

Save Saved
You added Maspalomas Princess Hotel to your Saves list
Maspalomas Princess Hotel
4.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Avda Tour Operador TUI, s/n, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel Very Clean And Staff Very Helpfull And Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I had never been to Gran Canaria before so I looked at hotels that had a good review. My Wife and Son and myself were very pleased with the decision that we made staying at this hotel. I would say that the entertainment was fairly good but not spectactular and it was very short. The time of the year we went it the Hotel was not full which was good for us as we had plenty of spaces to choose from around any of the pools. I would say that the food was very plentifull and an excellent choice but it was never hot. I would suggest that they should have a couple of microwaves in the Dining rooms for people to have the choice to heat up the food if needed. We went with Thompsons and we were very happy with the reps and the info that they could supply us with. One thing I would say is that when you book with the reps it may be best for you to do your homework first as you may get a better deal direct. We did do a couple of trips with the reps and one of them was the Yellow Submarine trip which was in the peurto de mogan which cost us 28 euros each that was from the hotel. The trip if you booked direct at the submarine was exactly the same which made this a bargain as you had no transport costs to find and we had an Air-Con Coach. We also done the Peurto Mogan by boat with the rep which I beleive was a fair price of approx 34 euros each?. This included a trip to Porto Rico where you picked up a boat to take you to mogan and also a street market which was taking place . The peurto Mogan is a lovely little port and well worth a visit. We also did a Camel Ride accross the Dunes which cost us 12 euros each which was only a 5 minutes walk from the hotel . If you were to do it with the Rep it would have cost you 33 euros but you may have had an extra bit of time and a drink. We also went on a Blanket Trip in which you are told all about beds and Marino Wool Bedding. The cost of the package deal was £1.199 in which I believe was worth what you were getting that is if you did need to replace your bed and bedding. I did not get it but I did ask other people there who had bought in the past and they said that they were very happy with there purchase. I thought I would wait untill I got Back home and made my own enquiries on the internet. I purchases the same deal wih sleepmaters.co.uk and I only Paid £852 deivered. I am afraid that you may have to pay a bit extra as I live in Guernsey C.I and we had the deal less V.A.T as we are exempt in the C.I. Enjoy your Ho;s if you go to this hotel but try and go all inclusive if you get the chance as you may save in the long run as prices are not cheap at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

885 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

A fantastic hotel. Great for couples and families with pre-teenage children. Not really for teenagers or those wanting lively nightlife. Buffet style meals, which were very high quality and NOT repetetive. Lots of activities for those who wanted them. Large clean heated pools in grounds that resembled a botanical garden. Helpful staff. Large clean rooms. Only drawback were the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever encountered in the piano bar, and the limited repertoire of the pianist himself. But those were really minor points. A fantastic holiday. Excellent value.

Broadstairs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed in the hotel for a week for my birthday treat and loved it - we had half board and the food was absolutely fantastic - so much choice with loads of fresh fish (including king prawns and mussels) and lots of different meats, lovely fresh salads and fruit, pastas, cheeses. pates and some fantastic desserts we have eaten so much - although the hotel is officially 4 star the food was without any doubt 5 star. The pool area is luxurious with tropical plants and about five pools and although previous reviews have said that some areas get quite shaded at times it is nice to move to another area to break the day up and there are several outdoor bars. The only thing I didn't like was that there were so many sunbeds you didn't feel like you had your own personal space - I think when the hotel is not at full capacity there should be a sunbed attendant putting the beds away - they could have removed two thirds of the beds and there still would have been enough. The entertainment was good although did not go on for long enough - the flamenco dancing only lasted half and hour and there was a tribute band "The Tramps" who were brilliant but were only on for 45 mins so that was a bit disappointing. The piano bar is also a great place to relax and the piano player performs all evening and is very good. Didn't think drinks were that pricey - more expensive than outside bars but not too bad. The room was large and tastefully decorated - the shower was lovely and powerful and despite previous reviews I found all the staff to be very polite, friendly and helpful. Not much surrounding the hotel but a 20 minute walk takes you to the beach and some lovely shops, lots of restaurants (not that we needed anything to eat!) and you get to see the camels and the sand dunes. Altogether a lovely relaxing week and would definitely recommend the hotel.

North West England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

Cannot fault this hotel, forget the negative views, some poeple are just never happy!
Ok so the wine at dinner is a bit expensive ( local is best around 15e) so are most things
on the island, but where else is it between 25 an 30 degrees with full sun everyday in January for this price.

North Bucks - UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

My wife and I have just returned to the UK (January) from Grand Canaria where we stayed in the Hotel Masapalomas Princess. The holiday was booked through Thomsons.

Trouble free flying both ways with friendly and helpful Thompson cabin crews.

The hotel reception area is palatial and hugely impressive – great swooping curves of white marble festooned with hanging tropical plants. Air conditioning provided relief from the heat outside.

Good size clean room with table and two chairs, two beds pushed together to make one and table and chairs on the balcony. Good size en suite bath, shower, toilet etc. Hang the dangly thing on your doorknob to get daily room service with clean towels and regular bed linen change.

The beautifully landscaped grounds are lushly tropical with various mature palms and tropical shrubs. Various pools, some heated some not, provide a serene and peaceful way to hang out. Most of the guests seem to be around the age of 50-60 (we are in our sixties) and with very few children around the only noise to speak of was the slap of water by the poolside – heaven it was!

We went half board with breakfast & dinner. The serve yourself setup was pretty sumptuous with piles of delicious food of all sorts to suit your fancy. I consider myself quite fussy about the quality of the food I eat so if I have to sum up I’ll just say “yum-yum”.

No-one can be perfect however so I have to report that the beds were very hard. The room was very gloomy being in permanent shade – luck of the draw here though as some rooms would have been in full sun. As the corridors and rooms are very echoey, a door shutting somewhere or a suitcase being dragged overhead could disturb your sleep. I recommend earplugs and quantities of strong alcohol. We are both avid internet users so we were disappointed to find no wi-fi service in the rooms although for 4 Euros you may park yourself in reception and surf for an hour. Not the same as relaxing in your own room though.

Drinks in the hotel bars are expensive – typically a brace of spritzers cost 9 euros. We found it cheaper to bite the bullet and fork out an extortionate 13.5 Euros with 5 Euros refundable deposit to rent the small fridge in the room and stock it ourselves. The bar downstairs provide ice if you ask.

Overall though we had a smashing time and I’d love to go back - then I remember that bed – ouch!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

The reason there are such differing reviews recently is down to peoples' expectations rather than the hotel itself. As has already been pointed out by previous reviewers, this is a package holiday type hotel, not a hotel for independent travellers.

We have been to Maspalomas many times so know the resort well so we knew what to expect and our expectations were fulfilled. Our main reason for visiting this resort is that you are virtually guaranteed fantastic weather in winter within a 4-5 hour flight from the UK. There is nothing else particularly great about it so you need to bear that in mind when you book.

As for the hotel:
1. It is big and busy so don't book if you prefer something more intimate or characterful.
2. It was exceptionally busy for the first few days were were there over New Year but emptied a little from 4 January.
3. Sunbed reserving is at its worst. Some people reserved a bed for the whole day only to arrive at about 3pm for a quick swim, then go! Having said that, I will never reserve a sunbed and we always managed to find 3 together in the sun at whatever time we pitched up although we did have to go on a good hunt!
4. The staff are perfectly pleasant and polite but they do have a job to do so won't have time to chat. If you want to make friends with the waiters then this is not the hotel for you.
5. The guests are predominantly elderly with some family groups across several generations and a few families with young children. This will be a very boring place to stay if you are single or under 50 unless you have young children so are limited anyway or, like me, want a peaceful holiday to relax. As an alternative, I would recommend the hotels in Meloneras along the ocean front which have a smarter, younger and more affluent clientele. Playa del Ingles can be summed up by a timeshare tout who asked us what we were doing in retirement Germany.
6. I thought the food was great (being a more of a fresh fruit, salad, grilled fish sort of person) and my daughter always found something she liked to eat but my husband wasn't impressed (being more of a meat eater). Having said that, we all thought the meal on New Year's Eve was superb (ravioli with truffles and duck pate, lobster, veal & desert) and our glasses were continually refilled with wine and cava.
7. Our room was very quiet and the black out curtains totally effective and we slept like logs sometimes struggling to reach breakfast before 10am!
8. There is no internet access in the rooms but wifi in the lobby is 6 euros for 2 hours (cheaper than stated on their website) and there is a bank of coin operated computers at about 1 euro for 15 minutes.
9. For us the downside was that the entertainment starting at 10pm was too late for our daughter (as we don't get the usual 1 hour time difference) although we watched the African tumblers.
10. The tea, coffee and hot chocolate are really awful. There is good German coffee (and German cake to die for) in the Meloneras cafes.
11. The entertainment team did a good job doing everything in English, German, Spanish and Italian simultaneously. It was also great to see teenagers of all nationalities making friends with each other.

As for the area:
1. We timed our walk to the beach. Walking with trainers on and purposefully, it took 20 minutes. If you stroll it will take longer.
2. We went down to the beach/Meloneras every day as it is a really pleasant walk along the dry river bed. It is completely flat, traffic free and runs along a nature reserve so if you look carefully you can see interesting birds and quite large lizards as well as the camels, cats being fed etc. In this respect we think it is a good location because we like the walk; others who don't like walking will think this is a bad location.
3. There is a supermarket directly opposite the back entrance to the hotel but expensive and to be used for the one off bottle of water only. There is a much better supermarket in the bottom of the Faro 2 shopping centre which is less than 10 minutes walk away. Sadly the shops on the upper floors have nearly all closed down as the businesses have gradually moved over to more recently built Meloneras.
4. There is a golf course directly opposite the hotel.
5. For kids, Holiday World which is about 15 minutes walk away is good with Rodeo Bull, Ferris Wheel, bumper cars, trampolining etc.

Finally, a word of warning about flights! We usually book flights and hotel separately but we are so glad that we travelled this time with Thomson! Because of the snow in England and Gatwick being closed for much of 3 days, our flight was delayed for 27 hours. Thomson looked after us most importantly keeping us informed as to the situation, giving us 16 euros each for refreshments, then took us out of the airport and bused us to a hotel in Las Palmas where we got an evening meal, stayed the night, got breakfast and bused back to the hotel. The reps went out to find a shop open on a bank holiday and returned with nappies for the babies etc.

The poor Easyjet passengers on the other hand were left stranded with no-one to talk to at the aiport and eventually bussed to the same hotel but then left to fend for themselves as all Easyjet flights were cancelled for at least 5 days. They then had to find and get to their own new accommodation (only possible on the internet) and organise new flights. As all flights were full this will not be an easy task and I am sure they will be stranded for many days. Whilst we endured a terrible delay, at least we are back in England safe and sound and were always looked after. For that I am really thankful.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Cardiff, Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

We booked the Maspalomas Princess very last minute and stayed over the New Year for a week HB. We had little time to do any research about the hotel/area and pretty much took the travel agent on her word. (We don't normally do a package deal - we usually book independently - but we were struggling to find a holiday flying from Cardiff so late). The Hotel was far larger than we anticipated. If you can imagine that it is designed in the shape of a W with one half being the Tabaiba (mainly Germain guests) and the other half being the Princess (mainly English guests). They are the absolute mirror image of each other with identical restaurants, reception etc with all guests sharing the main pool areas.

The plus points are that the hotel is exceptionally clean and comfortable. The rooms are large with spacious bathrooms. All the staff are very polite and very professional and the New Year's Eve Gala Dinner was wonderful. Great atmosphere, food, service and entertainment - we had a thoroughly brilliant NYE.

Some of the downsides to the Hotel (in our opinion) would be as follows: the walls are very thin between rooms (emanating coughing/snoring/Michael Jackson's greatest hits etc) - luckily the room next door was only occupied towards the end of our holiday; the beds are quite hard - not for everyone but we did manage to get a decent night's sleep; the drinks are expensive as mentioned in other reviews - 4 euro's for spirits (even though its a generous large measure) with and extra 2 euro's for the mixer with a bottle of Budweiser being around 3 euro 75. With the exchange rate being so poor we were paying more for drinks than in the UK.

Buffet Restaurant - we can only agree with the recent reviews about the food. There's nothing wrong with it apart from not being hot but this has only reconfirmed why we tend to book independently and do our own thing at meal times. Lots of people were complaining and we did notice that towards the end of the week the heated gantry bulbs over the buffet area had been changed and were a lot hotter but the hot plates beneath the food don't appear to be working so food is never going to stay piping hot. New Year's Eve was a 'served' meal which was hot so the kitchen is capable of preparing 'hot' food on a large scale - they just need to sort the equipment out. Queue's inevitable when the restaurant can seat 950 at a time ... unfortunately!

Sunbeds - No different to any other hotel abroad. The towels were out on the beds at the crack of dawn. And, as mentioned by others, some of these bed's didn't occupy humans during the day at all! Just somehwere to air the their towels I guess. We have never ever seen so many sunbeds rammed into one place and the hotel's garden landscaping means you have to be very selective about where you grab your bed. Its very shady in lots of areas so expect to be up at the crack of dawn to reserve your sunny space! Quite how the hotel/rep's can sort this I don't know. We gave up and went to the beach every day which is a good 20 minute pleasant-ish walk from the hotel.

The man made beach area at the hotel is a total waste of time. We couldn't understand why its there. Its like small pieces of granite in a 'beige' colour. Nothing remotely like sand! More like what you put around your plants in the summer to stop the slugs ... vile.

I could go on and on but that would be boring. I do echo what other reviewers have said. It's a nice hotel but nothing special. A bit lacking in character or charm. Souless and a good 3* perhaps? We used it for sleeping and having breakfast in and it served its purpose - but an expensive one at that. In our opinion it isn't aimed at our age range at all (35 to 40 w/out children). The entertainment is dire and its location is poor. Popping out of an evening to break up the monotony involves a taxi ride as there is nothing/no life around the hotel at all.

We wouldn't go there again but we would recommend it to our more senior relatives although the marble stairs all over the place are an issue. Families seem to have a great time there too - with the kids club and plenty of food choice and a lovely pool and mini disco in the evening.

If we go to Gran Canaria again we'll stay right on the beach where there is more than plenty to do and see in the evening without having to grab a taxi.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Maspalomas Princess Hotel? Share your experiences!