I’m going to review this hotel in two ways - first the Hotel detail (fair and impartial), and second a basic choice between what was our personal favourite on the island (The LOPSEAN Villa Del Conde) and this hotel, The Seaside Palm Beach.
FIRST: THE HOTEL
A hotel is often defined by its facilities, decoration, amenities and so on. This Hotel is good. However, it's also the little touches that really set it apart...
- the smiling, helpful "Pool Man" putting down thick, clean lounger covers and towels for you in the morning & setting up & moving parasols to your personal taste throughout the day (shade or sun)
- abundance of free, clean towels everywhere (pools / spa / wellness)
- plenty of good quality, wooden sun loungers – all working perfectly
- a soothing, calming atmosphere, nice people everywhere
- baby pools main pool, adults only (quiet) pool – somewhere for everyone
- not a spec of dirt or an insect in sight - anywhere
- hotel the Director walking 'round the hotel daily checking up and talking to guests
- great plasma TV in the bedroom
- free changing room for your last day
- quality toiletries replaced daily
- smartly dressed, attentive reception staff
- bottle of water by your bed each night
- Let me give an example of how good the Maid was - she saw I was using a third pillow (which really wasn't for my head, it was on the other bed!); that night she produced a third pillow in the correct linen, all set out for me. Perfect room service.
I could go on, but let’s cover off some other key areas:
On balance, the best feature of this hotel is its sunbathing areas - set amongst mature palm trees, attracting birds, but not shading the pool areas you easily can drift away and totally relax, “feel special”, feel “on holiday” - you really could be in another world, even though you can walk out the door and be right on the beach and close to good shopping. Simply the best. Don’t be fooled by the exterior of this hotel !
The Spa has great saunas, steam rooms etc. with open showers and (naturist) sunbathing areas, free cooled drinking water on tap. The best place in Maspalomas for a private, all over tan.
Rooms always very clean, a great sunset (or beach) view from floors 4-7 (class B/C – NOTE: make sure you pay for one of these, it will transform your vacation. Best rooms: 4/5/6/730-757 for the evening sunset, but my friends in the hotel preferred the other side so they could hear and see the sea) and a high quality Plasma with 90+ channels including 10 UK.
Throughout the hotel there were quality, helpful, well-mannered staff - truly five star treatment. I'm sure those who didn't experience this need to remember behaviour breeds behaviour.... treat your hosts with respect, be polite and sometimes patient ... and a few tips here and there work wonders... !
Guests: about half were over 60, but the rest were a many ages; my guess is 80% German, the rest Dutch, English, maybe a couple of Spanish. Everyone was pleasant and well mannered - I saw no teenagers, maybe just older children 17/19 with their parents.
Men must wear long trousers for dinner, but now it's more likely to be jeans and a polo shirt, rather than jacket and smart trousers. Same everywhere now, sadly, the majority don't want to make the effort. Some did, but it's not the same as just four years ago when some were wearing long trousers for Breakfast at this hotel!
Any problems? A couple - the bar staff were a little slow at times, I think they had some new people. Evening meal - 3 nights a buffet, 4 nights a la carte (with very limited choice and sometimes very slow service indeed). Being in high season the staff couldn't always cope with a full hotel all arriving for evening dinner at once.
This could be solved by either more buffet evenings. or with a simple sign asking people to wait and be seated by staff, but that approach goes against what the Hotel is all about - the free flowing of people, the calmness, no instructions or barriers.... just relax.... I can understand the management’s reluctance to ‘direct people’ in this way. It is an interesting dilemma!
Also, smoking is allowed outside (by law) so there is a risk of being half way through your meal when someone lights up beside you. Yes, a downside, but contrary to what some more negative reviewers might say, it's easily avoided - just eat inside, where it's air conditioned and smoke free. It's the same everywhere else in Spain. The VDC does not offer this lovely option. So get over it !
SECOND: THE CHOICE YOU HAVE
Bottom line, we have stayed here three times, and also at the Ville Del Conde twice. In the evening some may say, and I may agree, the VDC wins: as it serves an outstanding buffet with show cooking and a wide choice of food every night, all high quality. Then you move to the central piazza / central square, with its patio heaters and excellent shows. So if your evening meal is the most important thing in the world to you, maybe the VDC is for you, (particularly if you like evening shows outside).
However, in the day and overall, the SSPB wins by a clear margin. But Why…?
Class. Its staff are better, its rooms (B/C only) are significantly better (if somewhat small), sunbathing in what feels like a private and exclusive garden with staff attending to your every need, plus the adult Spa and sunbathing areas, palates/yoga/ keep fit on the lawn, and the calm, measured, upmarket atmosphere. It’s divine. You will escape the real world.
If you want to experience a feeling of being 'special' every day (but in a natural, unforced way) the best sunbathing areas of all the hotels in Maspalomas, a calmer atmosphere, mature, polite guests then SSPB is for you.
I'll be returning to Maspalomas; assuming the price is right we have a new favourite number one if we want to relax.
Rest assured, The VDC is just fine, you'll love it. We’ll happily return if the SSPB is too expensive. But whilst it’s a close call …the Seaside Palm Beach wins overall. Our new number one !
A massive thank you to all the staff and management for a simply wonderful holiday. Near perfect - and trust me, I’m hard to please and don't suffer fools gladly! Wish I could return next week…
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Seaside Palm Beach, the first and until now only member of “Design Hotels” on Gran Canaria, can be found alongside the nature reserve and sand-dunes of Maspalomas, set in an extensive palm grove, a unique and privileged location. For those in search of tranquility and the highest standard of cuisine, at just a few steps from the beach, this hotel is the perfect location for couples and families of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Venere, Despegar.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Seaside Palm Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Seaside Palm Beach Hotel Maspalomas
- Seaside Hotel Maspalomas
- Palm Beach Gran Canaria
- Seaside Palm Beach Maspalomas, Gran Canaria