“Stress hassle unnecessary annoyance still waiting on a reply” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort

You added Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda. Sunair s/n, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #16 of 65 Hotels in Maspalomas
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Stress hassle unnecessary annoyance still waiting on a reply”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I am currently writing this review from the terrace of the Dunas Don Gregory hotel in the neighbouring resort of St Augustin. Unfortunately not somewhere I want to be, as the resort is grubby and certainly not comparable to the beautiful melonares strand.
I decided a few weeks ago to take a short winter break away, 5 days only and knew that I would go to GC, my usual destination. Normally I would stay in the stunning Lopesan Costa Melonares Hotel but unfortunately they were already fully booked. So as an alternative I booked the Dunas suites. I have stayed there previously on two occasions and although not a luxury property it met and fulfilled my requirements. What a mistake!!!
My travelling companion on this trip is my 17 year old nephew who has never been on holiday before and is just coming through the final stages of a 3 year battle with cancer, so he was well up for a nice stress free hassle free breakaway too.

The saga begins on my way to the airport when I received a call from alpha rooms to say that the Dunas suites were having overbooking problems, they didn't have a room for me and I was being moved to the DonGregory in the neighbouring resort. I objected emmediately because having stayed in GC every year I knew where I wanted to go. I was offered to accept the move with some compensation like a free safety deposit box!! JOKE, cancel the booking or perhaps call the hotel directly to see if I could get a room. I asked alpha rooms to check alternative options for me however their booking system does not allow for same day arrivals so I was stuck. They did however ring the Sheraton hotel and had the option there for me to book direct, at double the price of my original booking. I chose to ring Dunas suites directly to explain the situation and spoke to a gentleman called Alberto who after a second call back assured me actually it was ok and to come straight to the hotel.
At this point I was now in the airport and ready to travel. On arrival in GC I took a taxi straight to the Suites Hotel. And surprise surprise. No room. It was 10 at night and unfortunately after trying myself to find an alternative to the situation all of which all were full. And speaking to alpha rooms emergency number. No help! I had no option but to accept their offer to stay at the dongregory for 1 night while they tried to get me a room.
I had to get a taxi at my own expense to the alternative property. And when I arrived I knew straight away I did not want to spend my holiday in this run down area of the island.
On Sunday morning I spoke to the manager of Don Gregory who had put me in a ground floor room not very nice at all if I'm honest. And she informed me that because it was Sunday there was no alternative accommodation back in the suites and if I wanted to move I would have to wait until Monday.
At noon today I went back to reception to arrange the move and was met with a very concerned looking head receptionists who said she would check and would call me back.

Whilst writing this update I have now received that call. And guess what. No rooms!! I have been messed about, stressed out and wasted far to much time of what is only a very short break, I was asked to pay for the wifi in order to write this review, although after a few words the receptionist soon saw the error of that request and gave me access gratis.

To date the best offer of compensation offered has been free wifi and a safe deposit box. The sum total of 16 euro. Dunas is this really the best you can do?

I feel my wallet has been well and truly raped. I would certainly not choose to stay in this part of the island. And I will not be staying with you ever again. Your staff have been friendly but not very helpful given the situation. You gave me false hope on 4 occasions of rectifying the situation only to be let down over and over again

I will update the review if the situation is rectified to my satisfaction.
My advice though is book the Lopesan. Clearly Dunas cannot be trusted.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dunashotels, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Glen,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience at your last visit to the Canary Islands.

We apologize for the trouble caused on your arrival because of the delay in the renovation of rooms at Dunas Suites &Villas Resort. We informed the travel agency about the incident and offered the Dunas Don Gregory as alternative. The Dunas Don Gregory is much appreciated by many repeaters, because of the situation and the good gastronomy.

Hoping that you would give us another chance in the future to show you that the troubles suffered are really unusual and that we can offer you a comfortable and relaxing holiday from the beginning throughout your stay,

With kind regards

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have only discovered trip advisor thankfully I can comment and perhaps receive a reply from the hotel. We have stayed here a number of times for convenience but not anymore. I always fill in the hotel forms but never receive a reply from the hotel. I asked a number of times why there is no uk/irish tv channels as there seems to be german french Italian Dutch & Spanish tv. Any hotel I go to in mainland Europe I always avail of uk tv. I was only half board after dinner one night I went into the bar and asked for tea presuming it was free. I didn't know what Half board meant...presuming like any hotel tea is free with half board. The waitress at the bar asked for 3 euros I said no then she poured the tea with delight down the sink. Not very professional from a 4 star hotel. Btw still waiting on all my replies from this hotel on their questionnaire.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dunashotels, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Jim,

we are really sorry to read that you are disappointed with your stay at Dunas Suites & Villas Resort in November last year.

Your suggestions and comments are very much appreciated, as we are always interested to improve our service and satisfy the demands of our guests. Please understand that we can´t answer all the suggestions we receive, as these forms are anonymous. We kindly ask you to get in contact with our public relations department, if you have any questions we will remain at your disposal (atencion_clientes@hotelesdunas.com).

Regarding your comment about the TV channels we would like to point out, that we will improve this service in the next future.

Furthermore we would emphasize that half board doesn’t include drinks during dinner or in our bars. The guests have the possibility to order a kettle for their room or to book a room with kitchenette.

We hope that you will give us in future another opportunity to provide you the excellent and professional service our hotel is known for, because we would really look forward to welcome you again as guests in our resort.

Best regards,

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was moved here from a horrible hotel in Playa del Ingles by my tour agents for a slight supplement. I went from the ghetto to paradise. Beautifully maintained with a friendly and professional staff, I am coming from Switzerland and the West Coast of the US where service is to a very high standard. I could not recommend this place more highly.
I am traveling alone this time and I feel very safe and secure here. The bungalow is very lovely with no expense spared as to tasteful decor, with beautifully tiled floors, huge bathroom, confortable bed and plenty of closet space. There is a charming living room and a private patio which overlooks the heavily landscaped and truly exquisite gardens filled with winding stone and tile pathways designed to give both vistas and privacy to guests.
The pool area is very nice and their are several daily shuttles to the upscale Maspalomas beach area. I was here 18 years ago with our then small daughter and we loved it, but that beach was almost undeveloped and now Wow! It is simply magnificent, full of lovely shops and restaurants, from very upscale to really nice but very good bargains. And the architecture is beautiful.
Let's talk about the buffets here: I eat French and I am a very good cook myself and know a great deal about gastronomy like many Europeans. The food for a hotel buffet is wonderful. They try very hard to vary the menu within the possible and their are sous-chef constantly grilling fish and meats in the evening, all kinds of salads and tapas, many kinds of fresh breads, good wine and beer for a reasonable price, (the drinks are a supplement in the evening at least), and the Maitre de Hote is like a chef d'orchestre ever attentive to all the guests, caring and sweet with the children, ceaselessly and tirelessly directing staff, who seem very happy and very respectful of their boss, so there is a fantastic corps d'esprit in the service. As soon as I put my knife and fork to three o'clock they quickly clear away my plate, they are very attentive.
If you want to pamper yourself at any age and you are wanting elegance this is the place.
There is also a spa service, so I will be enjoying a massage tomorrow.

Only two criticisms, the water situation. Many bottles of water are consumed. Why not install a water purifier and allow the guests access to good drinking water in such a hot climate? We must buy it here or at the super market and drag it back. All these plastic bottles are an ecological catastrophe. I would truly like the Canarians to think about this. In many places we are avoiding plastic bottles and improving the public tap water for good of the planet and of all of us.
Lastly, the WiFi connection seems unstable. I chose this place with the understanding that there was free unlimited WiFi in the rooms, then told I must pay for it. The rate is about 2.30EUR/day but often the internet connection goes up and down within a half hour usage. They are trying to put better connections in for all the rooms, but they are selling this new service and not delivering on it, which is not fair. They are working on this problem very diligently however, this place is very well run, but be forewarned as of end of Sept 2013 that internet connectivity needs some work.

Room Tip: If you need quiet make sure to tell them in advance so that they can place you in an appropriate are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dunashotels, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay in our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the room, the garden and the pools. Also we are happy to hear that you were very pleased with the food. We will forward your praises to our kitchen team.

Regarding your comment about the internet connection we would like to point out, that we are improving this service during this week. We are installing more antennas in the whole complex to better the connection.

Your comment about drinking water is also much appreciated as it helps us to improve our services.

Thank you very much for mentioning especially the friendliness and service mind driven team, this is much appreciated by all of us.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at Dunas Suites & Villas Resort.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in a 1 bed villa for 10 days, from the 15 th Sept to the 25th.not an upgraded one, did request one but to no avail.
Some have been refurbished if you can get one of them you have hit the jack pot.The one we stopped in was o.k but a bit dated, mirror in bathroom has gone brown in places the shower was tired the decor was in need of attention. But all in all perfectly acceptable for a short stay. But beware of the dreaded Spanish cockroaches I hate them and have a bit of a phobia about them, we found 3 in total during our stay in the villa and they are massive I mean massive, !! And they fly for short distances, I did see a man spraying out side to keep the numbers down and been at ground level does not help.food was problerly the best we have had and we normally do 5 star hotel, this is 4 but low end 4 not the best 4 star about.
We were all inclusive and that was good to, no que to get served at all during our stay. Staff were great very friendly and polite, the restaurant staff were excellent in my opinion always clearing away dirty dishes and cleaning tables. Drinks at lunch time,serve your self which is my preference, drinks at dinner time are served by waiting staff.
But getting to the thieves, we were in the villa getting ready for dinner at approx 1930 hrs I was in the shower and the good wife was in the bedroom. Somebody come in the room and stole my wallet which was on the TV table in the lounge. When I realised the wallet missing I was on my way to reception to report this I found it in the bushes around the side of villa, money missing, there was 200 pounds in sterling and 160 euros , good days work for some person. Went to reception to report they said go to the police station to report, we did but police said do not speak English, go away and call an interprete to translate into Spanish, very nice I thought. We did do that with the help of Lisa on reception who I would very much like to thank her.
Also Alfonso was excellent on reception could not have do more thank you to you two. The general manager was a German woman who said we will pay for taxi fares to and from police station,20 euros going twice.But did not get this money.
But apart from the lost money all in a good place to stop for the money we paid.
Also the animation staff were great, day and night doing a little dance to a tune you will not get out of your head. And Adi I think was her name, great girl, very good at her job, especially the bingo in the day in pool bar.
This place is geared up for families with small children, but we alway travel out side school holiday so not over run with children, we are not against children, I was one once ha ha!! But later on in life we require some peace and quite.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We thank you very much for taking your time to give us your feedback about your stay in our resort. All the comments, which we receive from our guests, are helping us to improve our service and offer.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the food and the animation program.

Concerning the kind words about or staff, please be assured that we passed them on to all of them. Compliments like this motivate us to continue working the way we do.

Regarding your comment about the room, we would like to inform, that we are currently conducting small improvement works in our rooms.

We are very sorry about the incident with the stolen wallet and we apologize for the inconveniences you had to make your complaint at the police station. It’s right that we should have paid the money for the taxi and we are sorry that it wasn’t refund at your departure. Please, contact our guest relations department (atencion_clientes@hotelesdunas.com), so that we can send the money.

We would be more than happy to welcoming you once again and remain with

kind regards,

west midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Second time at the hotel and not dissapointed.The suites have had a makeover so even better.we was in suite 401.two bedrooms both ensuite with a large living room,flat screen tv and fridge.Food is the best all inclusive we have had abroad.GroundStaff and maids work very hard to keep everywhere clean.Staff in restaurant, bars and reception never keep you waiting and are very friendly.Entertainment and Animation staff really make the holiday fun!! They are great with the kids and the adults .They cater for all and work very hard all day and night.Hi to everyone.CheCheChereche!!!! Lol
:-D

• Stayed September 2013
Dunashotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Dixie,

We appreciate your trust in us by choosing our hotel for your holiday stay and also for sharing your opinion on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that you spent again wonderful days in Maspalomas and that you had been very much pleased with the services and facilities provided by the hotel and the team. Your wonderful description of our hotel is for all of us motivation in proceeding with our way of service even further and to continue in making our guests feel at home.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at Dunas Suites & Villas Resort.

Windsor, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I traveled to Dunas Suites with my wife and 2 children aged 6 and 9. I can honestly say it was the best holiday we have ever had.
The hotel was very nice, extremely clean and very well maintained. The rooms were large, so much so that it was not an issue that I had booked a one bedroom suite for the 4 of us. The pools were excellent and we noticed that as the hotel filled up, more sun beds were made available. There was a mix of nationalities so nothing catered specifically for one over another.

Bar and Restaurant staff were very good and the food was great. Excellent selection of salads, fruit and vegetables with every meal, great desserts and a wide range of dishes. The meals are catered for a wide range of nationalities and I was pleased to see that my normally fussy daughter didn't have chips (which were available at lunch and dinner most days) until the 6th day of our stay as the selection was so good. There were never long queues for either food or drinks, at the bar, and bar staff were very good at knowing who was next in line for service.

Without doubt the best part of the stay was the animation team. If you wanted to sit and do nothing you could but if you wanted to get active there were games and competitions for most of the day. It was great to get up and join in and meet other people from different countries through the games. I am not usually a fan of "holiday entertainment" but the shows were also very good and played well to the team's strengths. No body pretended they were on broadway and it gave every show a great feel. One of the highlights being Snow White which also included any children that wanted to be in the play, an amazing feat of organisation !!! The kids club was great and we had to start begging the kids to stay with us. The team worked very hard and everything was done in several languages to embrace everyone.

We left after 10 days, most of us in tears, feeling we could stay another 2 weeks and not be bored or want to go home. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with a family. We are certainly going to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dunashotels, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to read your personal review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent holidays at our hotel.

We are truly pleased to hear that you felt comfortable from the very beginning and that you fully enjoyed the location, the food and the pools. Furthermore it’s nice to read that you enjoyed especially the entertainment program. Also thank you for your nice words about our staff, we already passed on your comments to them.

Once again, we want to take the opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us and do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Guest relations
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

When we arrived we were very disappointed with the Suite we had been allocated. Builders had been in the bathroom fixing the mirror and had left a big mess / lots of dust. My partner being asthmatic was not happy at all. Reception were a stuck as all the other suites had been allocated, so we stayed that first night in one of the Dunas bungalows.

The next day Manuel on reception did a fantastic job of sorting out a great new suite for us, and moving our things. Turned us from unhappy customers to very happy customer.

I'd say the best points about the Dunas suites are:

- Great food
- Suites have excellent air-con
- excellent entertainment
- Lovely grounds
- More than 1 pool reduces that 9am rush for lounger places
- Handy location not far from town

Areas for improvement would be:

- Some Suites have much better outlooks than others. I'd be disappointed paying as much as Dunas charges for a suite to just get a view of the perimeter fence.
- If you stay in a bungalow, while they are more spacious there doesn't look to be aircon. Very handy at night in the peak of summer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We really apologize to hear, that you have had inconveniences with the changed mirror at the first room.

We are truly pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the quality of our food, the suites and the entertainment.

Once again, we want to take the opportunity to thank you very much for your comments and do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Guest Relations

Been to Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort? Share your experiences!