I am currently writing this review from the terrace of the Dunas Don Gregory hotel in the neighbouring resort of St Augustin. Unfortunately not somewhere I want to be, as the resort is grubby and certainly not comparable to the beautiful melonares strand.
I decided a few weeks ago to take a short winter break away, 5 days only and knew that I would go to GC, my usual destination. Normally I would stay in the stunning Lopesan Costa Melonares Hotel but unfortunately they were already fully booked. So as an alternative I booked the Dunas suites. I have stayed there previously on two occasions and although not a luxury property it met and fulfilled my requirements. What a mistake!!!
My travelling companion on this trip is my 17 year old nephew who has never been on holiday before and is just coming through the final stages of a 3 year battle with cancer, so he was well up for a nice stress free hassle free breakaway too.
The saga begins on my way to the airport when I received a call from alpha rooms to say that the Dunas suites were having overbooking problems, they didn't have a room for me and I was being moved to the DonGregory in the neighbouring resort. I objected emmediately because having stayed in GC every year I knew where I wanted to go. I was offered to accept the move with some compensation like a free safety deposit box!! JOKE, cancel the booking or perhaps call the hotel directly to see if I could get a room. I asked alpha rooms to check alternative options for me however their booking system does not allow for same day arrivals so I was stuck. They did however ring the Sheraton hotel and had the option there for me to book direct, at double the price of my original booking. I chose to ring Dunas suites directly to explain the situation and spoke to a gentleman called Alberto who after a second call back assured me actually it was ok and to come straight to the hotel.
At this point I was now in the airport and ready to travel. On arrival in GC I took a taxi straight to the Suites Hotel. And surprise surprise. No room. It was 10 at night and unfortunately after trying myself to find an alternative to the situation all of which all were full. And speaking to alpha rooms emergency number. No help! I had no option but to accept their offer to stay at the dongregory for 1 night while they tried to get me a room.
I had to get a taxi at my own expense to the alternative property. And when I arrived I knew straight away I did not want to spend my holiday in this run down area of the island.
On Sunday morning I spoke to the manager of Don Gregory who had put me in a ground floor room not very nice at all if I'm honest. And she informed me that because it was Sunday there was no alternative accommodation back in the suites and if I wanted to move I would have to wait until Monday.
At noon today I went back to reception to arrange the move and was met with a very concerned looking head receptionists who said she would check and would call me back.
Whilst writing this update I have now received that call. And guess what. No rooms!! I have been messed about, stressed out and wasted far to much time of what is only a very short break, I was asked to pay for the wifi in order to write this review, although after a few words the receptionist soon saw the error of that request and gave me access gratis.
To date the best offer of compensation offered has been free wifi and a safe deposit box. The sum total of 16 euro. Dunas is this really the best you can do?
I feel my wallet has been well and truly raped. I would certainly not choose to stay in this part of the island. And I will not be staying with you ever again. Your staff have been friendly but not very helpful given the situation. You gave me false hope on 4 occasions of rectifying the situation only to be let down over and over again
I will update the review if the situation is rectified to my satisfaction.
My advice though is book the Lopesan. Clearly Dunas cannot be trusted.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Its architecture and the horizontal layout of its Villas, Suites and Senior Suites, located amidst a subtropical garden of over 75,000 m2, make this a unique resort within the Canary Islands. It is located next to the Maspalomas golf course and the Dunas de Maspalomas nature reserve, whose beach is just 800 metres (approx.) from the resort. This hotel is ideal for families, couples and golfers, who want to enjoy a holiday in a haven of peace and open spaces, giving freedom of movement to our customers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Dunas Suites And Villas Maspalomas
- Dunas Suite Hotel Maspalomas
- Dunas Hotel
- Hotel Dunas Suites And Villas Resort Maspalomas, Gran Canaria