“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Meloneras Resort

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Meloneras Resort to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Meloneras Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Urb Las Meloneras | Maspalomas - Gran Canaria, 35100 Maspalomas, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #4 of 65 hotels in Maspalomas
Amersham
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Very good stay in mid November at this Riu. Typically good Riu Palace accommodation/restauarant and service etc. This hotel seemed a bit smaller than other Riu's I've stayed at which made a nice change. Arrangements are the same as other hotels in the change regarding outside towels and the sensible two dinnere sittings (6pm or 8pm) which can be changed throughout your stay. This hotel doesn't have a beach because of the location but does have a locked gate that guests have a pass to that gives access to a nice promenade area with shops/bars that then give way to the sand dunes. Overall excellent stay, I would definitely recommend this hotel. I hadn't been to Gran Canaria before but recommend it over Fuerteventura any day.

Room Tip: I was in ground floor room 92 which was fine. From the design of the hotel I doubt any rooms would e...

433 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The gardens and buildings are beautifully designed. While many places cram as many rooms as possible into the area, here they left huge garden spaces between the chalets and limited them to 2 stories. The result is a very pleasant environment.

I also felt the hotel was very well managed. For example they made up beds including the mattress toppers I had asked for and when I had to change rooms (see below) they immediately sent two people over to put the toppers into the new room. Not long ago I stayed in an expensive hotel in Rhodes where they were systematically overbooking – a scandalous practice causing great inconvenience to guests who often had to go elsewhere for a night or crowd two room’s of people into one. The management of Riu gave me sufficient confidence that I cannot imagine they would ever do such a thing.

Staff were helpful and efficient, there wasn’t much noise and the buffet dinner and breakfasts were good. One tiny thing that pleased me is they had normal hangers in the wardrobes. Am I the only one who hates those theft proof ones where you have to fiddle to get the hanger off the hook? (Perhaps it is because most of the guests are German and they don’t steal coat hangers.)

Now the problem: I stayed in a chalet (5136) which had a strong musty smell. We thought it would go away if we left the door to the balcony open but we ended up having to keep it open all night and the smell still didn’t completely go (Plus I woke up with a bad cold which meant I was ill on my return home and missed a week of work – hardly the outcome one expects from a restful holiday but I accept it is largely my bad luck). The next day I changed rooms. The new one (5156) had a strong smell of organic solvent which had either been used to clean the furniture or to get rid of a musty smell. It smelled like creosote. It was not as bad as the previous room and keeping the window open was enough to keep it under control, though it never completely went away. Management really needs to sort this out as it could spoil a good hotel.

Room Tip: Bring a travel kettle
Warrington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Agree with the comments from COSKYDOODLE. Just returned from 1 weeks stay here, using Thomson, if you are British don't go to this Hotel. They are not interested in you unless you are German. Found the Middle Management very arrogant, the owners need to teach their staff the meaning of "HOSPITALITY" the Restaurant staff approach you in the middle of your holiday looking for money . The food quality is not as good as we have enjoyed in other Rui Hotels and the entertainment now very dated. Have seen the same act 3 times. The Carpet in the Lounge had a dirty smell , could not sit in there. Not good value for your money. We would not return to this Hotel.

Room Tip: Some of the Apartments are very close to the service area of the local Supermarket/Shopping Centre...
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife and I had a great holiday in this hotel from the 5th to 12th November this year. It is the 7th time I had visited the hotel and I would not have returned so often if the service was not of a very high standard. We have always been well looked after by a very attentive staff and nothing is too much for them. The position of the hotel is excellent. We were given a bungalow in the gardens and it was fantastic. It was clean and of a good standard with everything in good condition (including the carpets!). The sheets were changed as often as we requested. It was not a particularly busy time of the year, or it appeared that way, because getting a sun bed after 10:00 am was no problem at all. If you wanted one at the very front, near the sea, then It would be an early start because the German guests tend to get up very early to book them. But the sun is all around the pool area so we found it absolutely fine. Many of the guests return year after year. We did find that the entertainment was not as good as the last time we visited but everything else met our high expectations. Because we arrived late, we were given a table in the second sitting, which is what we prefer. The buffet food was of a very good standard for both breakfast and dinner. However the hotel no longer serve you at your table nor do they put wine aside for the next evening. You can however take your drinks out into the bar area or back to your room which was fine by us. You could also buy wine by the carafe (half bottle) if you preferred. So a few changes since the last time we visited but nothing to put us off returning. We are now planning to return in February for what we know will be another great family holiday.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Penzance, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I just returned after a 9 day stay on half board for my 60th Birthday, Nov 3rd to 12th.

We paid extra for this hotel as it was a special birthday treat costing £3000 via Thompson.

Have stayed in Riu Palace hotels in Portugal and several times in Madera and they are superb.
This one however, is not in the same league as them.

The reception staff were fine and offered a choice of villa/apartment in the grounds or a room on the 4th floor in the hotel, so we chose 5095, which is one of 4 apartments in one of the 16 blocks down towards the promenade.

We arrived at 9PM so went straight into the dining room.. I helped my self to fish, but it was full of bones and tasted like it had been fried in engine oil.

We then went to our room still hungry. The room was a bit bland, no welcome pack of fruit etc (as there is in Portugal and Madera) and there were signs of patched in emulsion on the walls covering the suitcase marks etc. Old carpet that looked like it had been there since 1980s
A small room by Madera and Portugal standards.
One good thing about the room was that the cleaner had left it spotlessly clean.

Breakfast was OK, but the guy cooking the eggs was so sullen and miserable and would not even say good morning ! Seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else and not cooking eggs first thing each morning. Same goes for most of the waiters. They seemed to treat their job as if they were factory workers.
The manager of this resort is to blame.He should send them all on lessons in "HOSPITALITY"

The buffet dinner each evening has two sittings, so we chose 6PM instead of 8PM.
It is best described as a rush and free for all. Again, nothing like Portugal or Madera Rius.
I heard people complaining that the chicken was raw and I saw blood on the bone from which the ham was being sliced and served on one night.

If you have not finished by 7 20pm, the light is dimmmed down to get you moving out .
It is far too rushed and the quality of food was not as expected for this hotel.

We were encouraged to try Krystal resaurant so we did on Friday.
Same thing unfortunately. Drab menu, drab food, pea soup poured onto a dollop of goats cheese in front of you at your table.
After dessert is served, the waiters just ignored us so we were left to let ourselves out so they could re lay the tables for round two, second sitting !

AN HOUR AND A HALF IS NOT LONG ENOUGH TO CATCH A WAITER, ORDER WINE, AND SELF SERVE FOUR COURSES FROM THE BUFFET WITHOUT GETTING INDIGESTION !

The pool water was clean and well balanced, but the walls and bottom had peeling paint, so green/brown algai was breeding in the holes of the paint under water.

Other hotels have a pool attendant whose job is to supervise the pool area and arrange the sun bed mattresses etc.
No so with this one. Its a free for all . You have to run over and grab your own mattress, by which time the sunbed you had your eye on has been taken.
The Germans (99% are Germans in this hotel) get up between 5 and 6am and place their matress, bags books and towels on 4 beds per couple (so as to have space around them) and would eventually stroll down late morning or early afternoon to occupy them.
THIS IS KNOWN BY THE MANAGEMENT AND THEY CHOOSE TO IGNORE.

All in all we found the hotel to be clean but dated and the staff needing lessons in how to be hospitable.
Certainly was not worth the money we paid

North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

First time we have styed at this hotel / resort. We tend to prefer self catering as it gives us more flexibility to explore the local area, so I had some reservations about going half board however, I was not dissapointed.
The hotel & grounds are clean, tidy & well maintained. The staff are great... really friendly and helpful without being overbearing. The quality and selection of food at breakfast & dinner was excellent.
The Riu Palace guests tend to be 'older', which isn't a bad thing as it ensures there is a quite relaxed atmosphere, it's certainly a place to go to chill out.
We don't tend to revist areas once we have been there, but I would certainly go back to this hotel if I was looking for a quite week of rest & relaxation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here Sept 2012 for a week, very impressed with the cleanliness, decor, food, staff and location. Meloneras is much more up-market than nearby Maspalomas, well worth paying the extra money, as this really is a superior hotel. Do ask for a sea-view room; our only two gripes were that the dress code was not always implemented in the evenings, and the ridiculous sunbed-reserving was not stamped out. We stayed on the second floor, in a sea-view room, and could not ask for more. Not a cheap holiday, but you certainly get what you pay for here.

Room Tip: Always get a sea view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Meloneras Resort? Share your experiences!